Flickr redesign has started.... :((

Started Mar 25, 2014 | Discussions
antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,624
good point about "quality" but...

Marty4650 wrote:

antoineb wrote:

Now I read your post, and it surprises me that Flickr is still in existence! Apparently it still has a lot of users, even if it is roughly 4-5x smaller than FB and the users likely do much less on it. But where it hurts is when Flickr has about 8bn photos, compared to over 250bn ie over 31x more on FB.

Of those 250 billion photos posted on facebook, the overwhelming majority are photos of teenagers drinking and partying, or photos of what hipsters ate for lunch.

Sometimes quality can trump quantity.

Which is why I am so disappointed that Flickr is trying to be more "facebook-like."

Hey Marty,

couldn't help laughing when reading about your "teenagers drinking and partying" on FB

This being said more and more teenagers are going elsewhere because too many parents and even older people are on FB nowadays.

Frankly from why I see on my FB contacts, there is a good share of quality photos on FB.  If that share is only, say 5 percent of the total, then this would still make FB 1.5x larger than Flickr on the quality dimension, and then you'd still have all the rest.

Within my contacts I'd say that the share of higher quality photos on FB is a good deal higher than just 5 percent, but admittedly this may not be a representative sample.  Among other things it includes a couple pro photographers - who incidentally tend to run contests within FB groups, not Flickr...

Finally let's go back for a second on Flickr photo "quality".  Yes, agreed, there are more serious photographers there so the TECHNICAL quality tends to be a good deal higher.  But the "interestingness" of the shots, frankly, is hardly better than on FB - actually I'm almost thinking it is worse because many FLickr users seem to focus on the technical aspect more than on whether the subject is interesting and the light and the colours and so on.

I'm not wishing for Flickr to fail of course, but I think the writing is on the wall.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: good point about "quality" but...

antoineb wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

antoineb wrote:

Now I read your post, and it surprises me that Flickr is still in existence! Apparently it still has a lot of users, even if it is roughly 4-5x smaller than FB and the users likely do much less on it. But where it hurts is when Flickr has about 8bn photos, compared to over 250bn ie over 31x more on FB.

Of those 250 billion photos posted on facebook, the overwhelming majority are photos of teenagers drinking and partying, or photos of what hipsters ate for lunch.

Sometimes quality can trump quantity.

Which is why I am so disappointed that Flickr is trying to be more "facebook-like."

Hey Marty,

couldn't help laughing when reading about your "teenagers drinking and partying" on FB

This being said more and more teenagers are going elsewhere because too many parents and even older people are on FB nowadays.

The other thing is....I don't have any children on my facebook feed.  If you are an adult and you have kids on your feed, something is wrong with you...not facebook

Frankly from why I see on my FB contacts, there is a good share of quality photos on FB. If that share is only, say 5 percent of the total, then this would still make FB 1.5x larger than Flickr on the quality dimension, and then you'd still have all the rest.

Within my contacts I'd say that the share of higher quality photos on FB is a good deal higher than just 5 percent, but admittedly this may not be a representative sample. Among other things it includes a couple pro photographers - who incidentally tend to run contests within FB groups, not Flickr...

Finally let's go back for a second on Flickr photo "quality". Yes, agreed, there are more serious photographers there so the TECHNICAL quality tends to be a good deal higher. But the "interestingness" of the shots, frankly, is hardly better than on FB - actually I'm almost thinking it is worse because many FLickr users seem to focus on the technical aspect more than on whether the subject is interesting and the light and the colours and so on.

I'm not wishing for Flickr to fail of course, but I think the writing is on the wall.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,597
Antoine.... Flickr is a big place

and... the great thing about the groups is that serious photographers can find each other there. And the non serious can find each other too. So Flickr really isn't one community, it is thousands of them.

There are tens of thousands of groups, and they can be organized by any method the originator chooses. Some are organized by gear, some by technique, some by location, some by subject matter, etc. You get the idea. And any member can start a new group if they want something that isn't already there.

Flickr started out about photography, but is drifting towards being another social media site. While they have done some very good things by increasing storage limits, displaying photos larger, and displaying against black backgrounds... they are also too worried about copying Facebook and Twitter.

I feel they should try to be a better Flickr, rather than trying to be a half-assed Facebook.

Facebook is still riding the wave of the fad, but like you say young people are fed up with their grand parents jumping on the bandwagon. So they are moving elsewhere, and eventually Flickr will end up imitating a website that is itself in decline.

But there really isn't one photo hosting site that can please everyone. I wish there was a way to combine:

• Zenfolio's presentation style... with
  • Smugmug's selling features,..... with
  • Flickr's storage limits, groups, and price structure

It seems that each one has unique advantages and disadvantages. Photobucket, Snapfish, Pbase, Ipernity, and 500px have their own advantages too. The solution might be to join several....

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +11 more
Sonyshine
OP Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,878
Re: Antoine.... Flickr is a big place

A good response!

I have just spent thre days migrating all my photos to ipernity.

Its easy on the eyes and intuitive to navigate  but it is a lot smaller and quieter than Flickr.

I have kept a handful of pics on Flickr.....just in case Yahoo ever sell it to someone who can fix it! 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Apple Aperture Apple iPhone SE
DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,235
Re: Can you still embed photos to DPR???

Ray Sachs wrote:

I can't figure out how to anymore. With the old version (still active early yesterday), you could click on the individual photo you wanted, right click to choose the size you wanted, right click again and select "copy image URL", and paste it into a DPR post. DPR would recognize the code and give you the option to embed the photo.

Now, you can't seem to get to the various sizes to view - only to download to your own computer. And they have about five different options for copying links, but NONE of them work with DPR, as far as I can tell...

Has anyone found a way to link from the new photo pages? I moved all of my stuff over to an ipernity.com account last weekend (there WAS a utility that automatically moved all of your stuff, but THAT seems to not work now either, according to some who've tried it). Both sites make it easy to grab a BBCode that I need for linking to another group of forums I spend time on. But NEITHER make it easy or even possible (AFAICT) to link directly to DPR anymore...

This sucks. If anyone has found some way to link that I've missed, please let me know. As is, I may have to look for yet ANOTHER service so I can link to the various forums I hang out on...

Wait, may have found a way - test to see if this is a full size image:

OK, that works. It's a minor PIA, but you can copy this string out of the "thumb-tack" copy option:

"https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/13204726915_3ab227e1a3_o.jpg" and it'll work...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

I haven't been able to find a way to get a URL that works to post to a Photo forum!

DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E2S
ArtMar Contributing Member • Posts: 542

But I see that on ipernity your photos are displayed on a white background, which is hardly an ideal viewing condition (much prefer black or dark gray), and they are considerably smaller in size than on the new Flickr.

Nevertheless, good luck with your switch!

Sonyshine wrote:

A good response!

Its easy on the eyes and intuitive to navigate but it is a lot smaller and quieter than Flickr.

I have kept a handful of pics on Flickr.....just in case Yahoo ever sell it to someone who can fix it!

DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,388
Surely you just…...

20 million photos are uploaded there every single day.

Facebook is for kids and housewives.

Sonyshine
I'm enjoying ipernity.

ArtMar wrote:

But I see that on ipernity your photos are displayed on a white background, which is hardly an ideal viewing condition (much prefer black or dark gray), and they are considerably smaller in size than on the new Flickr.

Sonyshine wrote:

A good response!

Its easy on the eyes and intuitive to navigate but it is a lot smaller and quieter than Flickr.

I prefer the white background, I find it easier on my eyes, especially as ipernity use black text on white as opposed to the new Flickr white text on black.

You can still view any photos in any size you like up to original size.

In fact if you used Flickr before May 2103 you will feel right at home on ipernity!

It is very fast and there are no silly effects in the slideshow mode.

Glitter tags and icons are banned so you can see and read comments easily too.

I really like it I must say - it feels more clean and friendly - being smaller is not always a bad thing.

Amamba
Amamba Senior Member • Posts: 1,913
Re: I'm enjoying ipernity.

One problem I have with iPernity is the way the space is kind of wasted around the photo in Lightbox mode - while Flickr lets the photo take up the entire space from top to bottom of screen, iPernity leaves a huge margin that serves no purpose ( well, perhaps the purpose is to make it look like a frame but there's no option to get rid of it.)

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
Sonyshine

Each to their own - which is why its good to have choices - I prefer to see my photos in space, with room to breathe without being crowded out by other photos, or writing.

Amamba

Sonyshine wrote:

Each to their own - which is why its good to have choices - I prefer to see my photos in space, with room to breathe without being crowded out by other photos, or writing.

That's not what I meant.

When watching a single zoomed out photo, there's a black frame around it that on my iPad takes up a good 1/4 of screen vertically. So when viewing a portrait either on my monitor or a tablet, a good part of screen is black, and the photo is smaller than it could have been. I like the photo to fill the screen. I wouldn't mind a thin border but not a huge one.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
Amamba
Re: Surely you just…...

DFPanno wrote:

20 million photos are uploaded there every single day.

Facebook is for kids and housewives.

and given the latest changes, that seems to be the direction Flickr is going in. There's a whole lot more kids and housewives than photogs, when you make money in ads that's all that matters.

Amamba

ArtMar wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

A good response!

On iPernity, your collections are shown on white background. Like old Flickr. If you press the Lightbox button, a small triangle in the upper right corner, it switches to a single photo view on black background. A problem I have with this is that the border around the photo is unnecessarily thick, taking up too much space and taking it away from the photo.

Sonyshine

The slide show mode works brilliantly on my iPad, full screen and responsive slide changes. The Flickr slideshow always ground to halt on my iPad.

Sonyshine
Re: Surely you just…...

I have just deleted the few bits I left on my old free Flickr account and closed that account too.

I got annoyed by adverts for products which I could only buy if I was American!

What is the point of Flickr advertising if they can't even target the right people in the right country!

jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: So far, I don't mind it all that much. . . n/t

MrScary wrote:

Someone needs to Educate them that not All members are 18 years old or Under..

In fact, I suspect most are not.
I shot some skaters at a skate park and offered them copies of the shots.
I asked them for email addresses and told them that I'd put them on Flickr so they could grab what they wanted.

2 out of 3 said "what's flickr".
It would be nice if they finished it, before imposing it on people.
I mean who the hell wants to edit their images with Aviary?
Probably  17 year olds - but they don't use flickr.
I think they are trying to make it attractive to an audience that will never take it up, and annoying the existing user base while they do so.
I'm getting used to it.

But I still pull hair over simple things.

Though it seems to be changing daily  - i.e. implementing the features that are in the menus and used to work - again.
I could not remove images from groups a couple of days ago, and now it is in the new group menu thing.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Sonyshine
Spot on jtan163!

Exactly!

I suspect most Flickr users are reasonably mature.

Yahoo however is trying to make Flickr appeal to 'yoof'   without success.

If only Yahoo would realise that Flickr is predominately about photographers enjoying photography then it could make a success of Flickr - instead of killing it with contempt.

CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224
Re: Flickr redesign has started.... :((

Gary Martin wrote:

The previous version was worse - this is a step in the right direction, IMO.

It is much slower though - especially noticeable if you live in a place with slow internet speeds.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +15 more
CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224
Re: Its becoming a photo rubbish tip like Instagram.

Sonyshine wrote:

If you want to share, discuss and learn it has got worse. Much worse.

Seems to happen everywhere - including here.

Unless you want to pay a subscription or hang out in a place with a lot of internet "neighbourhood watch" types, what do you do?

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +15 more
Amamba

Sonyshine wrote:

The slide show mode works brilliantly on my iPad, full screen and responsive slide changes. The Flickr slideshow always ground to halt on my iPad.

I am using FlickrStudio for iPad, it beas Flick own app by a mile, has every tool imaginable.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads