Soon to be released super fast SD cards and the D7100?

Started Mar 25, 2014 | Discussions
mikew Contributing Member • Posts: 631
Soon to be released super fast SD cards and the D7100?

I see B&H are selling a new Sandisk SD card that will read at 280mbs and write at 259mbs. Will the D7100 be able to take advantage of these soon to be released SD cards? I am hoping these cards will help with the small buffer problem of the D7100.

Mike

mikew's gear list:mikew's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,943
Re: Soon to be released super fast SD cards and the D7100?

mikew wrote:

I see B&H are selling a new Sandisk SD card that will read at 280mbs and write at 259mbs. Will the D7100 be able to take advantage of these soon to be released SD cards? I am hoping these cards will help with the small buffer problem of the D7100.

Mike

This has been discussed here previously. The D7100 is a UHS-1 class device, which means that it can drive SD cards rated at up to 100MB/sec at their full speed.  The new 259/280MB/sec cards are UHS-II or UHS-III devices, and the D7100 doesn't support the signalling protocol that permits those cards to be written at those speeds. UHS-II/III was created to support 4K/60 video.

Bottom line, the cards that will max out the D7100's write speed are the 95MB/sec UHS-I SD cards. You will not see a speedup when using the UHS-II/III cards.

Sorry.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
TranquilityBase
TranquilityBase Regular Member • Posts: 438

Mike

No, not fully. The D7100 internal bus caps off at significantly less, but I don't remember the spec at the moment. Google around, but I believe the 95MB cards already exceed that limit.

-- hide signature --

Luck favors the prepared...;-)
http://photobucket.com/albums/y36/pro1/

TranquilityBase's gear list:TranquilityBase's gear list
Nikon D7200
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,612

Won't help one bit. 95 is max for your D7100.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
OP mikew Contributing Member • Posts: 631
Thanks to all posters for your informative responses

It is replies like these that make this site and this forum such a valuable resource.

Thnak again,

Mike

mikew's gear list:mikew's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
RobByePhoto
RobByePhoto Regular Member • Posts: 276
Re: Thanks to all posters for your informative responses

Even if a current camera can't make full benefit of this new generation of high speed cards, the next generation of cameras likely will. Since cards have a substantial lifespan, I buy the biggest and fastest available, passing it from one generation of camera to the next.

-- hide signature --

Rob Bye

RobByePhoto's gear list:RobByePhoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
TranquilityBase
TranquilityBase Regular Member • Posts: 438
Re: Thanks to all posters for your informative responses

Even if a current camera can't make full benefit of this new generation of high speed cards, the next generation of cameras likely will. Since cards have a substantial lifespan, I buy the biggest and fastest available, passing it from one generation of camera to the next.

Yes, but by the time you can take advantage of that extra speed/capacity, generally an equivalent card will cost much less. They don't call it the Bleeding Edge for nothing

-- hide signature --

Luck favors the prepared...;-)
http://photobucket.com/albums/y36/pro1/

TranquilityBase's gear list:TranquilityBase's gear list
Nikon D7200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads