Colourful tanagers - A99+70-400 doing small birds

Started Mar 24, 2014 | Discussions
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,616
Colourful tanagers - A99+70-400 doing small birds

Hi,

going for tanagers mostly means cluttered views in often deep shadows. This needs a bright sunny day to start with and some luck to find them in the woods. Add to this the fact that one wrong move makes them disappear and they hardly come back for the next hours. I'd wish to have some less shy birds like William and AarSee found

Female Red-necked Tanager

Male Red-necked Tanager

Male Red-necked Tanager

Banaquit - was this tongue-out for me?

Male Green-headed Tanager

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 8,028
Michael Fritzen: Colourful tanagers - A99+70-400 doing small birds

My goodness, all those colors are amazing.  I love see the colorful small birds.  I think it is much harder to capture good images of the small birds than it is of the slower larger birds.

Very nice and thanks for sharing.

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Hi,

going for tanagers mostly means cluttered views in often deep shadows. This needs a bright sunny day to start with and some luck to find them in the woods. Add to this the fact that one wrong move makes them disappear and they hardly come back for the next hours. I'd wish to have some less shy birds like William and AarSee found

Female Red-necked Tanager

Male Red-necked Tanager

Male Red-necked Tanager

Banaquit - was this tongue-out for me?

Male Green-headed Tanager

-- hide signature --

A99, A900, A700, R1, w/Zeiss + Sony G Glass
My Picasa Albums: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109849611643818398019/albums My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheWillybug

Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 5,927
Re: Colourful tanagers - A99+70-400 doing small birds

Nice stuff! Love to see Tanagers.  Our selection here in the desert is very limited.

-- hide signature --
 Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more
AarSee
AarSee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,673

Beautiful birds nicely captured!

Always fun to see all of the different bird varieties.

Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Rick

AarSee's gear list:AarSee's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +11 more
capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622

Michael those are real Nice and great Colors , I like to shoot small birds as well  good shots there.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
OP Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,616
Re: Michael Fritzen: Colourful tanagers - A99+70-400 doing small birds

William Curtindale wrote:

My goodness, all those colors are amazing. I love see the colorful small birds. I think it is much harder to capture good images of the small birds than it is of the slower larger birds.

Very nice and thanks for sharing.

Hi William:

thanks for looking and commenting. Indeed it's the colours which make me chase for these birds. But only more recently with the A99 the work is getting more rewarding, more reliable in getting nice, detailled, sharp shots. Nothing more frustrating than a day's outing and at best so-so shots - and what a different experience getting at least a few ones entirely satisfying. Sometimes it's luck, no doubt. But the right equipment counts as well. As nuch as a liked the A850 but the A99 for me plays in another league.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Steve West wrote:

Nice stuff! Love to see Tanagers. Our selection here in the desert is very limited.

Hi Steve,

I love to see them too Because mostly it's pretty hard to spot them. And to get close enough for photographing those nervous and shy birds is even harder. Bad thing is that a longer lens might bring you closer but normally it means that one's getting out of a reasonable distance for the flash. And w/o light their colours simply don't pop. Thanks for stepping by.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

AarSee wrote:

Beautiful birds nicely captured!

Always fun to see all of the different bird varieties.

Thanks for posting.

Hi Rick,

glad you liked them. I'd wish I'd have more time to spend on shooting such birds. Thanks for looking and commenting

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Hi capt bob:

Thanks for the nice comment. Doing small birds is a challenge. Great when they use to appear in open uncluttered views in sunlight like blue tits etc. But those tanagers IF they appear it's in the shadows of trees and bushes.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,453

I hate using flash, but these little jewels cry out for some fill.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II

steelhead3 wrote:

I hate using flash, but these little jewels cry out for some fill.

Absolutely needed. If not they would nicely disappear green-in-green in the leaves. For my shooting I have normally dialed in a positive exposure compensation and a negative flash compensation. This is to favor natural light and to reduce the flash-look. So the look is more likely as if a sun beam hit on the bird.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads