Overexposed - some help please.

Started Mar 23, 2014 | Discussions
Daviskw
Daviskw Senior Member • Posts: 2,769
Re: Overexposed - some help please.

Ray just a suggestion for this kind of shot... maybe you could set up your camera to bracket a stop either way... Just to be sure you cover the  dynamic range of the  picture.

Butch

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 14,712

Nice shot of your daughter, Ray. As some others said, next time better use matrix metering. We all make our mistakes.

RayGuselli
OP RayGuselli Forum Pro • Posts: 15,103

Van Griff wrote:

RG

When shooting with a bright background I find the best solution to be:

1. Shoot RAW to allow greatest PP latitude.

2. I set my FN button to Lock Exposure.

3. Set your Exposure Compensation to +2 [experiment with a range of +1 - +3].

4. Set spot metering.

5. Lock your exposure on the brightest point in the image . . . be it sky . . . or snow . . . or whatever appears to be the brightest spot.

6. Adjust your exposure to suit using the lowest ISO possible and required aperture and shutter speeds.

7. Re-frame and capture your image.

8. Check for blinkies and expose to the right on your histogram . . . adjust and re shoot the image if necessary.

9. You should end up with an exposure where your brightest point is not overblown . . . other areas may be underexposed but this is usually fairly easily successfully corrected in PP.

The key is to spot meter on the brightest part of the image with approx +2 EC . . . lock your exposure meter . . . and set your ISO / Aperture / SS . . . accordingly.

Good luck with it!

Best

V G

Hi Van Griff....really appreciate such a detailed explanation...I really need to read, understand and learn this...and I will...
Much appreciate your time and help...it is MUCH appreciated.
Best wishes
Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
RayGuselli
Re: Overexposed - some help please....Butch

Daviskw wrote:

Ray just a suggestion for this kind of shot... maybe you could set up your camera to bracket a stop either way... Just to be sure you cover the dynamic range of the picture.

Butch

I will definitely try this next time...I am missing so much because I have not taken time to learn my camera....I must start NOW...thanks so much
Best wishes
Ray

-- hide signature --

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
RayGuselli

Toermalijn wrote:

Nice shot of your daughter, Ray. As some others said, next time better use matrix metering. We all make our mistakes.

Hi Toermalijn,
Great to hear from you as always...yes, lesson learned...but I have realised I know SO LITTLE bout the possibilities, functions and capabilities of the camera...I must start to learn now and I will!!!!
Hope you are well and best wishes as always
Ray

-- hide signature --

tony brown Veteran Member • Posts: 4,116

This was run through PhotoNinja since I was playing with that recently and find it quite good at restoring blown highlights. Nothing was otherwise manipulated.

Of course, everyone has their own technique as illustrated above, to which they are welcome. I am not trying to change other's ways nor do I intend to change what works for me.

Personally, I use the 3 colour histogram as my exposure meter, exposing to the right but avoiding clipping. Blinkies do not sense all three colours and operate only by the luminance histogram anyway. Secondly, the histogram (either luminance or chrominance) only operates on the processed jpg stored in the RAW file - not the basic RAW file itself.

Because of the latter, the contrast setting of the camera, exposure compensation, colour balance and something else that escapes my memory at this moment are ALL used when the internally generated jpg thumbnail is created FROM which the histogram and Blinkies are derived - even though the whole operation is being taken in RAW !

Try this; change the contrast setting from minimum to maximum while shooting RAW (which is unchanged by that setting) and the Blinkies and colour histogram can be made to 'show clipping' and 'not show clipping' accordingly without altering the RAW file at all. Try photographing a vivid RED subject, look at the colour histogram clipping the RED channel and yet you will never see the Blinkies. They aren't worked from the RED channel.

To avoid clipping too early with increasing exposure, I set my camera contrast to minimum. The downside is that the rear screen image is ALSO derived from the internal jpg and looks a bit flat.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Tony.

Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823

ORIGINAL

That's a great shot of your girl Ray, regardless of the technicalities which were adequately covered by several posters before me.

I concentrated on recovering and enhancing detail and colors and I was pleased to see that most of the blown out areas can be brought back in line (without any background replacement, cloning etc)  by using normal ACR and CS6.

You could replace the sky completely or clone some clouds in but to be honest I like it as it is, only slightly cropped to bring the subject a bit more off center:

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
kormendi_adam
kormendi_adam Contributing Member • Posts: 889
I hope you like this

This is a quick edit. Hope you like it.

Done in CNX2

and Photoshop.

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
RayGuselli
Re: Overexposed - some help please. Tony

tony brown wrote:

This was run through PhotoNinja since I was playing with that recently and find it quite good at restoring blown highlights. Nothing was otherwise manipulated.

Of course, everyone has their own technique as illustrated above, to which they are welcome. I am not trying to change other's ways nor do I intend to change what works for me.

Personally, I use the 3 colour histogram as my exposure meter, exposing to the right but avoiding clipping. Blinkies do not sense all three colours and operate only by the luminance histogram anyway. Secondly, the histogram (either luminance or chrominance) only operates on the processed jpg stored in the RAW file - not the basic RAW file itself.

Because of the latter, the contrast setting of the camera, exposure compensation, colour balance and something else that escapes my memory at this moment are ALL used when the internally generated jpg thumbnail is created FROM which the histogram and Blinkies are derived - even though the whole operation is being taken in RAW !

Try this; change the contrast setting from minimum to maximum while shooting RAW (which is unchanged by that setting) and the Blinkies and colour histogram can be made to 'show clipping' and 'not show clipping' accordingly without altering the RAW file at all. Try photographing a vivid RED subject, look at the colour histogram clipping the RED channel and yet you will never see the Blinkies. They aren't worked from the RED channel.

To avoid clipping too early with increasing exposure, I set my camera contrast to minimum. The downside is that the rear screen image is ALSO derived from the internal jpg and looks a bit flat.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Tony.

Hi Tony,
Fantastic help both here and during your phone call...what can I say...it doesn't get much better than that asking for help and getting a telphone call!!!
Very impressed with PhotoNinja; it has done a very good job here.
Must try the advice you have given and see how I get on.
Best wishes as always and a great edit.
Ray

-- hide signature --

RayGuselli
Re: Overexposed - some help please....Sunshine Boy

Many thanks for your renditions; I especially like the idea of the crop...that is a big improvement and much appreciated.
Great renditions too - excellent work.
Best wishes

Ray

-- hide signature --

RayGuselli
Re: I hope you like this...Kormendi

kormendi_adam wrote:

This is a quick edit. Hope you like it.

Done in CNX2

and Photoshop.

Hi Kormendi...
Absolutely love the sky replacement...PERFECT...
Great work indeed....
Best wishes
Ray

-- hide signature --

Andrey P
Andrey P Regular Member • Posts: 117

Capture One 7 Pro     Adobe Photoshop CS6

Andrey P's gear list:Andrey P's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-T1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
RayGuselli
Re: Overexposed - some help please....Andrey

Hi Andrey....what a good retouch.
You really seem to have dealt with the highlights very effectively...excellent work....
Much appreciate this version as well...
Best wishes
Ray

-- hide signature --

Andrey P
Andrey P Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Overexposed - some help please....Andrey

Thank you. Recommend you try Capture One Pro 7.2.

Andrey P's gear list:Andrey P's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-T1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
kormendi_adam
kormendi_adam Contributing Member • Posts: 889

With such lovely picture and burnt out sky, sky replacement is the only way to go. I am glad you like it.

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
trultrul New Member • Posts: 7

I usually 'cover' the blown sky with color, I'm a fan of muted desaturated tone

I hope you like it, sir

Mike

Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 6,845

I borrowed a few clouds from picture-right (cut/paste) and blended over some of the blown-out areas on the left then used Selective Colour/White to add colour into the rest, some saturation enhancement, contrast curves to match the lighting to the original and sharpened the subjects.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
Respect your parents. Remember, they passed school without Google.

l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,993
Re: Overexposed - some help please. BillyTheK

RayGuselli wrote:
I never thought of a one image HDR and have programs to do it..

I have my doubts that you can accomplish more with "one image HDR" than you can with appropriate tweaking of PV2012 sliders and Tone Curve. But I haven't really tried that, and could be uninformed on that.

Also, must try bracketing as you say, if the shots fire quick enough it may just work.

In daylight, you can often have a fast enough shutter speed so the 2 or 3 shots can be aligned adequately in post processing. Obviously, you need a static subject, and be extra careful to avoid camera movement. A monopod helps.

I'm curious what the original image looked like. Where was the sun in relation to you and the girl-on-horse? Was the girl in silhouette?

I did take a look at the .NEF. It appears the sun was behind the clouds, just off the horse's rump. That makes exposure very difficult.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
l_d_allan

Van Griff wrote:
8. Check for blinkies

Blinkies can be very helpful. Unfortunately, the LCD histogram and blinkies are based on the JPEG processing pipeline, and are generally conservative to what is really blown out in RAW.

Also, I beleive that your D700 is a generation before the sensors in many Nikons used the Sony sensors with wider dynamic range.

I use a Canon DSLR with has MagicLantern firmware with RAW histogram and blinkies. Prior to that, I had my Picture Style set to "Neutral" with saturation and contrast turned to Minimum. My understanding is that helped the JPEG rendition on the LCD be closer to what the RAW values were. I used UniWhiteBalance for a while, but it was a hassle with the green cast.

Here's something to consider: use the 30-day trial of the RawDigger utility, and for 30 days or so be intentional about experimenting to learn about what your histogram and blinkies are telling you. RawDigger used to be free when it was in Beta status. I learned a lot from using it.

and expose to the right on your histogram . . .

I'm an advocate of ETTR, but especially for static subjects where I can work slowly. This image is a situation where starting with ETTR might be less appropriate. Your D700 is very good with high ISO, so a priority would be to possibly error on the side of underexposure with the first capture using the camera's recommendation, to not blow out the bright clouds behind the horse.

adjust and re shoot the image if necessary.

It's a really nice composition, and those don't necessarily last that long. They can be gone in the blink of an eye. The lighting with the positioning of the subject is difficult. If you'd have had the time (and the young lady being patient), you might have been able to move a bit to picture's right so the rider and horse's body would have blocked the brightest part of the cloudy sun. Maybe.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
l_d_allan

RayGuselli wrote:
Absolutely love the sky replacement...PERFECT...

It's a wonderful job of layering in a much more interesting background sky, but there is the risk that the emphasis changes from "a girl on her horse" to "a beautiful sky with a girl and horse in the foreground". The sky can become distracting. YMMV, obviously.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads