Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

Started Mar 22, 2014 | Discussions
Neurad1
Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users
7

I apologize if this topic/observation has already been discussed in this forum, but I have recently realized that my B+W 62mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter contacts the surface of my m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 lens. Hopefully, I have not already damaged the lens.

I wanted to let others know this as I don't (for obvious reasons) recommend purchasing this filter for this lens. I would appreciate it if anyone can suggest an alternate circular polarizer for this lens that is of excellent quality but does not contact the front element.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelcure/
http://500px.com/joelcure

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
tomjones_85 Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking to buy this exact filter with my 12-40. I'm also wondering what polarizer other people with the 12-40 use. Specifically I wonder if anyone is using the Marumi DHG SUPER Circular Polarizing CPL Filter (62mm). The Kaesamann and the Marumi come out tied on the lenstip test.

http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

 tomjones_85's gear list:tomjones_85's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Leica Q Leica Q2 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV +5 more
Zensu11
Zensu11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542
Mine seems to work fine

I just mounted my 62mm 'B&W XS-PRO Digital KSM C-Pol MRC nano' on my Oly 12-40 zoom and I find no such contact problem on my lens. I finger tightened it as much as possible and it presented no problem for me

Maybe others with this combo can offer their experience with this lens and filter.

-- hide signature --

Bobby

 Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
Here's what I'd do if I had that lens...
3

Neurad1 wrote:

I apologize if this topic/observation has already been discussed in this forum, but I have recently realized that my B+W 62mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter contacts the surface of my m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 lens. Hopefully, I have not already damaged the lens.

I wanted to let others know this as I don't (for obvious reasons) recommend purchasing this filter for this lens. I would appreciate it if anyone can suggest an alternate circular polarizer for this lens that is of excellent quality but does not contact the front element.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelcure/
http://500px.com/joelcure

I don't have this lens, so I can't say for sure if it's an issue - but, if it actually is, I would recommend getting a 62-67mm step-up ring, which will also serve the purpose of putting any filter about a millimeter further away from the lens' front element.   Then buy whatever 67mm filters you wish and use them without worry.

The only caveat is, this will interfere with using the bayonet-mount lens shade with the lens - but you can use a 67mm threaded lens shade instead

 dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
Neurad1
OP Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Mine seems to work fine

Zensu11 wrote:

I just mounted my 62mm 'B&W XS-PRO Digital KSM C-Pol MRC nano' on my Oly 12-40 zoom and I find no such contact problem on my lens. I finger tightened it as much as possible and it presented no problem for me

Maybe others with this combo can offer their experience with this lens and filter.

When I put the filter on my lens I can actually feel the drag of the filter on the lens element when I rotate it. I also did a "lens paper test" (positioning a thin square of lens paper between the filter and front element) the paper was "trapped" between the two ("positive test"). I have used the filter by not screwing it on all the way and only rotating it counterclockwise when adjusting for polarization. Since you do not have this problem, perhaps I should just see if I can get a new copy from the store I purchased it from.

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 19,448
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users
1

Interesting. The front element is pretty close to the threaded mount plane, but still recessed a small amount. Have read of this problem with so-called thin-mount filters but not a standard pola. Roger Cicala has a blog post about this at Lens Rentals--he was trying to figure out why a certain model lens kept coming back from rentals with front element scratches.

Don't currently own a 62mm pola but do have a Hoya "Pro 1 Digital MC UV(0)" that fits the 12-40 with no issues.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

riderfanreturns Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

Neurad1 wrote:

I apologize if this topic/observation has already been discussed in this forum, but I have recently realized that my B+W 62mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter contacts the surface of my m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 lens. Hopefully, I have not already damaged the lens.

I wanted to let others know this as I don't (for obvious reasons) recommend purchasing this filter for this lens. I would appreciate it if anyone can suggest an alternate circular polarizer for this lens that is of excellent quality but does not contact the front element.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelcure/
http://500px.com/joelcure

I'm not having a problem with contact on my 12-40 using any of the following filters:

B+W 62 010 UV - HAZE 1X MRC

B+W 62 KSM C-POL MRC F-PRO

TIFFEN 62mm POLARIZER

It would appear the slightly thinner design of the XS-Pro versus F-Pro is causing the contact. Bummer, can you still exchange it?

-- hide signature --

I think I have GAS. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

 riderfanreturns's gear list:riderfanreturns's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 +20 more
Neurad1
OP Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

riderfanreturns wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

I apologize if this topic/observation has already been discussed in this forum, but I have recently realized that my B+W 62mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter contacts the surface of my m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 lens. Hopefully, I have not already damaged the lens.

I wanted to let others know this as I don't (for obvious reasons) recommend purchasing this filter for this lens. I would appreciate it if anyone can suggest an alternate circular polarizer for this lens that is of excellent quality but does not contact the front element.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelcure/
http://500px.com/joelcure

I'm not having a problem with contact on my 12-40 using any of the following filters:

B+W 62 010 UV - HAZE 1X MRC

B+W 62 KSM C-POL MRC F-PRO

TIFFEN 62mm POLARIZER

It would appear the slightly thinner design of the XS-Pro versus F-Pro is causing the contact. Bummer, can you still exchange it?

I will have to check on that. I purchased it in November, so I may have a problem exchanging it. Part of the problem with GAS is that I have and use several cameras and many lenses. I suspected that this was an issue shortly after buying the filter, but only became convinced of the problem this past weekend while shooting with this combo.

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
riderfanreturns Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users
1

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting.   As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape.  I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

I think I have GAS. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

 riderfanreturns's gear list:riderfanreturns's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 +20 more
jhinkey
jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users
1

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Or you can buy a 62mm filter extension ring for $10:

http://www.adorama.com/CKER62.html?gclid=CP2U69_kpr0CFQqCfgodqmkAZg

and either leave it on the 12-40 or leave it on the CPL.

- John

 jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Panasonic G85 +27 more
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users
3

jhinkey wrote:

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Or you can buy a 62mm filter extension ring for $10:

http://www.adorama.com/CKER62.html?gclid=CP2U69_kpr0CFQqCfgodqmkAZg

and either leave it on the 12-40 or leave it on the CPL.

- John

Even better - make your own. Find the cheapest, crappiest, scratched up 62mm filter you can. And break the glass - leaving just the empty ring, with threads on both sides. And attach it to your existing Polarizer - or your lens, and leave it there.

You can buy a crappy 62mm UV filter from China on ebay for less than $3. That would be the perfect candidate for breaking out the glass and using it as an extension ring.

 dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
Neurad1
OP Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Thanks. That's a good suggestion.

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
Neurad1
OP Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

dougjgreen1 wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Or you can buy a 62mm filter extension ring for $10:

http://www.adorama.com/CKER62.html?gclid=CP2U69_kpr0CFQqCfgodqmkAZg

and either leave it on the 12-40 or leave it on the CPL.

- John

Even better - make your own. Find the cheapest, crappiest, scratched up 62mm filter you can. And break the glass - leaving just the empty ring, with threads on both sides. And attach it to your existing Polarizer - or your lens, and leave it there.

You can buy a crappy 62mm UV filter from China on ebay for less than $3. That would be the perfect candidate for breaking out the glass and using it as an extension ring.

Do you worry about cheap filter threads jamming in the lens' threads?

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
Neurad1
OP Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

jhinkey wrote:

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Or you can buy a 62mm filter extension ring for $10:

http://www.adorama.com/CKER62.html?gclid=CP2U69_kpr0CFQqCfgodqmkAZg

and either leave it on the 12-40 or leave it on the CPL.

- John

Do you guys think that stacking the circular polarizer on a UV filter or extension ring would increase vignetting especially at the wide end?

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

Neurad1 wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Or you can buy a 62mm filter extension ring for $10:

http://www.adorama.com/CKER62.html?gclid=CP2U69_kpr0CFQqCfgodqmkAZg

and either leave it on the 12-40 or leave it on the CPL.

- John

Even better - make your own. Find the cheapest, crappiest, scratched up 62mm filter you can. And break the glass - leaving just the empty ring, with threads on both sides. And attach it to your existing Polarizer - or your lens, and leave it there.

You can buy a crappy 62mm UV filter from China on ebay for less than $3. That would be the perfect candidate for breaking out the glass and using it as an extension ring.

Do you worry about cheap filter threads jamming in the lens' threads?

Nope, not at all.  I only worry that cheap filters might be optically imperfect.  Once you break the glass, that's a non issue.   The cheap Chinese filters have the same quality threads as your expensive  B+W filters - only the glass/coatings are of lower quality.   The Chinese factories with $2 an hour labor are just as capable of tapping a thread onto metal as the German factories with $50 an hour workers are.

 dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
Neurad1
OP Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Mine seems to work fine

Zensu11 wrote:

I just mounted my 62mm 'B&W XS-PRO Digital KSM C-Pol MRC nano' on my Oly 12-40 zoom and I find no such contact problem on my lens. I finger tightened it as much as possible and it presented no problem for me

Maybe others with this combo can offer their experience with this lens and filter.

So you are absolutely sure that the filter is not touching the lens? I wasn't sure at first. I tried putting a small square of lens paper on the front element and screwing on the filter. The filter visibly flattened the paper and held it in place when I turned the lens from being horizontal (pointing toward the ceiling) to vertical anterior surface perpendicular to ceiling).

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

Neurad1 wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Or you can buy a 62mm filter extension ring for $10:

http://www.adorama.com/CKER62.html?gclid=CP2U69_kpr0CFQqCfgodqmkAZg

and either leave it on the 12-40 or leave it on the CPL.

- John

Do you guys think that stacking the circular polarizer on a UV filter or extension ring would increase vignetting especially at the wide end?

That actually IS a possibility at the 12mm end although if this happens, it would certainly go away by the time you zoomed to 14mm.  Which is why I made my original suggestion of the 62-67mm step-up ring, which does away with that potential problem, and why I prefer it to the 62mm extension ring suggestion.  But the downside of the step-up ring is that the bayonet lens shade won't fit anymore.  So there is a potential tradeoff with either of those fixes.

What I suggest is that you do the extension ring solution and look to see if there is any vignetting at 12mm wide open - if not, that fix is good to go.  If there is, then the 62-67mm step-up ring solution is the way to go.

 dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
jhinkey
jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

I never buy super cheap rings - you never know what you are going to get regarding the thread quality.  For your trouble just get the $10 Cokin and you don't have to do anything other than thread it on - no glass breaking, etc. required.

 jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Panasonic G85 +27 more
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

jhinkey wrote:

I never buy super cheap rings - you never know what you are going to get regarding the thread quality. For your trouble just get the $10 Cokin and you don't have to do anything other than thread it on - no glass breaking, etc. required.

Oh please.  You're welcome to throw your money away, but I can't in good conscience recommend anyone else do so.

 dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
Neurad1
OP Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

riderfanreturns wrote:

Not sure if you like using protective filters but I can use my C-Pol on top of my UV filter without any noteworthy vignetting. As your C-Pol is slimmer you would be in even better shape. I don't normally stack them (why add more glass in the path?) but it is a relatively "cheap" solution to your problem if they won't exchange your C-Pol for something that will mount properly.

Good luck.

Or you can buy a 62mm filter extension ring for $10:

http://www.adorama.com/CKER62.html?gclid=CP2U69_kpr0CFQqCfgodqmkAZg

and either leave it on the 12-40 or leave it on the CPL.

- John

Do you guys think that stacking the circular polarizer on a UV filter or extension ring would increase vignetting especially at the wide end?

That actually IS a possibility at the 12mm end although if this happens, it would certainly go away by the time you zoomed to 14mm. Which is why I made my original suggestion of the 62-67mm step-up ring, which does away with that potential problem, and why I prefer it to the 62mm extension ring suggestion. But the downside of the step-up ring is that the bayonet lens shade won't fit anymore. So there is a potential tradeoff with either of those fixes.

What I suggest is that you do the extension ring solution and look to see if there is any vignetting at 12mm wide open - if not, that fix is good to go. If there is, then the 62-67mm step-up ring solution is the way to go.

I probably should avoid using a circular polarizer at the widest end anyway due to the inherent heterogeneity of the polarization across a wide angle of view. I have a cheaper Hoya HD 67mm circular polarizer that I could use with the step-up ring, though.

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads