If Samsung...

Started Mar 20, 2014 | Discussions
Blanko00 Regular Member • Posts: 245
If Samsung...

The nx mini looks like an interesting move, for anyone interested in 1", but probably not for many on the N1 forum, but how about if they follow up with an advanced body?

Just really asking in the spirit of a poll, no intention of starting another argument.

I had a Samsung EX1, and it was one of the few cameras I've honestly, really truly loved. Bit noisy, but honest noise if you know what I mean. But the glass; amazing. It was Schneider Kreuznach branded. Like I'm dubious of how Leica Panasonic glass might be, it had that special 'pop' none the less. So if the glass is good?

And just like other electronics rather than camera manufacturers, Samsung seems to release cameras in a blizzard. Throwing stuff at the wall, seeing what sticks. So why shouldn't they want some of this pie?

My dad used to photograph as part of his job. When he switched to a 35mm, Japanese camera, he got flack in the office. They'd all be sticking to their German medium format cameras, thank you very much. I think we can all see how that ended. So maybe there's about to be an evolutionary shift. Maybe a manufacturer with fingers in the smart phone pie is ironically better placed to make cameras. Are we just seeing another evolutionary shift, to electronics firms making our cameras? I'm sure there's a lesson in capitalism somewhere here...

And how about another evolutionary shift? Canon make their own aps-c cameras, everyone else bought in, is 1 inch just going to be the next standard sensor, across the board, next to M4/3 and aps-c?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebrandonchambers/

tjobbe
tjobbe Senior Member • Posts: 1,430
Re: If Samsung...

Blanko00 wrote:

The nx mini looks like an interesting move, for anyone interested in 1", but probably not for many on the N1 forum, but how about if they follow up with an advanced body?

owning both, the V1/J2 and some Samsung NX APS camera I find it interesting that there is more "discussion" about Samsung Mini on the Nikon1 Board compared to the Samsung forum

For now I am not aware of any rumors of a replacement for the EX2F (which I would expect it  comes at with  that same 1" from the Mini at least)

As well within the Samsung interchangable camera line the next higher spec'd and higher priced camera is the NX2000 so for now there is no 1" in sight that would fit inbetween them

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +18 more
OP Blanko00 Regular Member • Posts: 245

A Samsung EX with a 1"sensor... I'd go for that, but I'd go for a Nikon P with a 1" sensor. I'd like it to have a fast prime attached, but a collapsible pancake zoom, guess I could suck it up.

I suppose this is interesting on the nikon 1 forum, cos we've already bought into the 1' idea. I reckon it'll be tougher to convert nx users who like and have bought aps-c and the lenses to go with it.
--

tjobbe
tjobbe Senior Member • Posts: 1,430

I know a lot of NX APS-C user who bought the V1 for fast AF-C, high RAW burst rate when it was on a fire sale to get all the NX was missing 2 years back in a small package.

Instead of taking my NX 50-200 Lens with me I prefer to use the V1 with the 30-110 being more versatile without adding load. I often thought of buying the smaller 10-100 but did not do that yet (and do not know if I will)

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +18 more
Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148
I have no problem with Samsung

Personally I am fine with them and well another more enthusiast model or not ; does not matter ; I think the NX-Mini is good for what it is. No its not designed around being catered for dedicated enthusiast but likely also its not geared for that market. But yet still its a system type camera with all the basics and the controls. the ability to cross over to use the NX range. a decent sensor. So its a tools that right for the need. Samsung had proven they can do well with the like of their EX and NX range.

As far as sensor goes. I think the 1" CX format hits somewhat a sweet spot. We have now DSLR , both FF and APS-C , but really they represent the more top end approach. We have Mirrorless which we have APS-C and M4/3 primarily and they are catered to the wider and more general market. We have smartphone which already do well for most and many. But between the Mirrorless and the Smartphone is a no man's land. Mfr are all still trying to find a something that actually do elevate above the smartphone but not quite as dedicated and not quite so demanding ( on the user ) as mirrorless like the NEX. Sony kind of hit it with the RX100. And Samsung with this NX-Mini ; taking similar approach but made the cam a system and that mean more diversity.  It can take on the like of Panasonic LX, Nikon P7800, or so and will still prove viable and its significantly upgraded from smartphone and not quite just the typical 1/2.3 sensor compact P&S. The 1" sensor is a key factor as it offer the basis , the actual hardware that's the performance basis. Then what's left is finding the packaging that would deliver that performance. Sony's answer in their RX100 and now the RX10. Samsung figure doing the NX-Mini. Nikon well. I guess they were not exactly thinking about that sector when they launch the 1 series. Its more about trying to place themselves a slot. They were looking more against M4/3 and NEX, but they had package it not quite right and the price well ... So they re-do it with V2, and they re-do it again now with V3. They keep trying the J series to be the entry level mirrorless but they are still thinking about dealing against say NEX-3 series or similar. We can see Nikon is still trenched with the Coolpix trying to made something out of it. Sony really turn the table on the market with RX100. And now Samsung just fellow through but in an even more aggressive approach.

So well, despite not really a dedicated enthusiast oriented product. it can well be said that the NX-Mini is still very much hobbyist friendly. I cheer for the Mfr. Actually I would want to like the V3 ; now I shall see how that new sensor work out. if its good enough then it might still endear me a try.

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148
The AF in the 1 series is indeed a wonder

You know the technology that goes into the 1 series is amazing. Nikon had always been engineering oriented when it come for new product and product development. That show with the 1 series but they are usually not so well versed in the total packaging part.

The V3 to me is yet another great lost opportunity, really. So they want to made a really really enthusiast model. And yet they have all those mode and gee whiz that come from their consumer J series but yet forget to give the cam what they need as an enthusiast model. No direct control to important imaging parameters ( the impossibility to directly dial in exposure compensation and no way to customize the control for that either is really a joke unto itself ). Nikon had the sensor but yet they fail to exploit what it can deliver ( a simple direct uncompressed RAW output through the HDMI can made this the Videographer's darling ).

In short a very good hardware platform, basis that can be made to be wonderful but getting a mediocre or even lousy implementation. Still I kind of like the V3. But I am finding myself liking the NX-Mini just as well or might be even a bit more

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

Re: I have no problem with Samsung

Echo that, I've nothing against any manufacturer making a camera I might want to buy.
--

Escaping Contributing Member • Posts: 837

I am all for competition.

Even though I may never buy the Samsung because I dont want to start getting into yet another system (I already have the Nikon FX, DX, CX, Pentax K, mFT ... too many already), it is good to see Samsung (as well as Sony) creating innovative products that will make the Nikon and Canon think and force the market leaders to continue to innovate.

As Nikon V series goes, I think the most critical piece of Nikon strategy is they are missing the mark as pricing goes.  If a product is priced right (ie. not too high), the market would be more acceptable to its gaps in the feature set. Just look at how hot the V1 was when its price was dropped to less than half its original price. People were screaming murder when it was priced at $800-900 but could not praise it enough when it was at $300-400.

Back to the V3, if Nikon launches this V3 at $700-750 for the kit instead of $1200, I am sure there is less screaming.  The same goes with the Df that is also in my opinion priced too high at $2750; at $2000, we would hear a different story all together.

Competition is great and the Samsung NX mini at $500 may not put pressure on the V3, but it sure make Nikon worry about the Nikon S and J's position, which in turn will force Nikon to rationalize its Nikon 1 system pricing strategy.

Cheers to competition.

-- hide signature --

Escaping (CT, USA) www.pbase.com/cvanlang
D700 / D300 / D7100 / K-5 / K-m / G2 / GF1 / V1 / V2 / LX7 / X20

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Fujifilm X30 Panasonic LX100 +40 more

One of the good things that could come out of the Samsung move would be a Nikon shift in pricing. Samsung tend to price keenly.

If the lenses could be exchanged, with a degree of functionality, well that'd be peachey.

I'm not sure if I'd buy into a second 1" system, but the 1"sensor is very much right for me, so I'd not rule it out.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads