GRD IV rubber peeling off

Started Mar 20, 2014 | Discussions
gardnergareth Junior Member • Posts: 34
GRD IV rubber peeling off

Hi folks

Sorry if this has been posted before. I've just purchased a new GRD IV and the rubber leatherette-style cover was peeling off around the HDMI slot.

A replacement has duly been delivered by Amazon and exactly the same issue. Glue coming completely unstuck!

Anyone else had this issue? I wonder if it's old stock and the glue is beginning to fail?

Thanks

Gareth

-- hide signature --

Www.garethgardner.com

gardnergareth's gear list:gardnergareth's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1
jaamp New Member • Posts: 5
Re: GRD IV rubber peeling off

Hello, I had the same problem, I just used one of those fast-drying glues. No issues since (about 8 months).

jaamp's gear list:jaamp's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV
OP gardnergareth Junior Member • Posts: 34

Thanks! I did some subsequent research on earlier models and I think it's looser there to provide maintenance access to some screws underneath (although I can't see them on mine, so perhaps doesn't apply to the IV). Apparently very thin double sided tape is the best remedy.

gardnergareth's gear list:gardnergareth's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1
Leblanc
Leblanc Junior Member • Posts: 34

gardnergareth wrote:

Thanks! I did some subsequent research on earlier models and I think it's looser there to provide maintenance access to some screws underneath (although I can't see them on mine, so perhaps doesn't apply to the IV). Apparently very thin double sided tape is the best remedy.

This is actually very common, I had rubber/plastic coverings peeling of in many different brands over the years (including Ricoh GXR). In my case using cameras in hot climate appeared to accelerate the process of glue deterioration. I found that the best solution is to use GOOD QUALITY double sided tape. I would recommend 3M VHB (Very High Bond) which comes in many different shapes and sizes. Some of VHB tapes are very thin, and this would be the best type for refitting camera rubber. Look at 3M Web, they have pretty good info. Easy to find on eBay, avoid cheap alternatives, go for 3M VHB.

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,310

Leblanc wrote:

gardnergareth wrote:

This is actually very common, I had rubber/plastic coverings peeling of in many different brands over the years (including Ricoh GXR). In my case using cameras in hot climate appeared to accelerate the process of glue deterioration. I found that the best solution is to use GOOD QUALITY double sided tape. I would recommend 3M VHB (Very High Bond) which comes in many different shapes and sizes. Some of VHB tapes are very thin, and this would be the best type for refitting camera rubber. Look at 3M Web, they have pretty good info. Easy to find on eBay, avoid cheap alternatives, go for 3M VHB.

Quite right, the original GRD had a true rubber grip which was quite susceptable to peeling, expecially in the thin area around the opening doors.  If left unchecked the rubber would stretch, bubble and eventually tear causing the grip would become unsuable.  The official Ricoh-advised repair was the thin double sided tape as already suggested.  The reason being those access screws under the grip. The advice was on no account use super-glue to re-attach.  I fixed my GRD grip with the obligatory small square of tape about two months after I had bought it - nearly 10 years later I might be wise if I fixed that small corner looseness that has started to re-develop.

More recent models have a synthetic (I think) grip cover and it seems less prone to peeling and stretching, but the double sided tape still works.  In more recent times I tried to replace an lcd screen on the GXR - if you are considering doing this then don't as it is a serious exercise and not for the faint of heart.  In any case though I screwed up eventually I did have the grip paled back and re-affixed to get at the hidden screws a number of times in the process and in the end it always re-affixed itself naturally with a bit of finger pressure.  The GXR grip at least seems to be self-adhesive backed rather than double sided tape.  Some sort of 3-M type.  In any case if the adhesive does not work then the double sided tape should come to the rescue.

The most vulnerable parts are next to the accessory doors.  Later models re-arranged the grip cut-outs to reduce this problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads