d7100 long exposure, shocked to see the result..

Started Mar 19, 2014 | Discussions
ocean76 Regular Member • Posts: 453
d7100 long exposure, shocked to see the result..

hi,

these are from today..I was trying my lee filters and it was before lunch time and the sun behind the thin clouds was behind my camera..
the exposure time was about 1 minute..

and Ive got all them with these weird pink and green casts.

Then I tried again with a black scarf to cover the viewfinder and around and no more of these weird casts.

but I used my old nikon d7000 and had usually shot long exposures like those and never ever had sth like that.

with this new d7100 I am shocked to see this..I know the sun was just behind me but my friend who was shooting the exact same scene with me with his canon did not have those cats at all..

is it just my d7100 (4 months old) or all?

I am so unhappy and dont know what to do..

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,909
Page 60

ocean76 wrote:

hi,

these are from today..I was trying my lee filters and it was before lunch time and the sun behind the thin clouds was behind my camera..

Then I tried again with a black scarf to cover the viewfinder and around and no more of these weird casts.

but I used my old nikon d7000 and had usually shot long exposures like those and never ever had sth like that.

with this new d7100 I am shocked to see this..I know the sun was just behind me but my friend who was shooting the exact same scene with me with his canon did not have those cats at all..

You are doing long exposures during daylight. The manual (on page 60) informs you that the problem you encountered will happen and how to prevent it. My D7000 will do it to if I don't take the steps on page 60. How bad depends on where the sun is. The results you got are normal ands to be expected. Try again with the DK-5 in place and see if that doesn't correct the issue.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

OP ocean76 Regular Member • Posts: 453
Re: Page 60

thank you so much Mako for the good news, i am relieved now.

I dont have dk-5 with me (never knew about it) but no problem, I now know there's nothing wrong with my camera..

Mako2011

ocean76 wrote:

I dont have dk-5 with me (never knew about it) but no problem, I now know there's nothing wrong with my camera..

Should be fine...be sure and check though with the eye piece covered when you get the change.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,488

Mako2011 wrote:

ocean76 wrote:

Should be fine...be sure and check though with the eye piece covered when you get the change.

I have had four DSLRs, each came with a DK-5, have lost them all. So I went to a local stone shop and bought them out. Well, two last items. I wonder how long will they last

I actually wonder if there is any piece of photography equipment with a worse "how often use / how often lose" ratio

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
JoeNap2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,052
Way back when...

... had a Minolta SLR that had a rubber-doohicky that served the same purpose and it was a permanent attachment on the neckstrap that came with the camera. Genius.

JoeNap2's gear list:JoeNap2's gear list
Samsung L74 Wide Olympus E-500 Nikon D7000
chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,488
Re: Way back when...

JoeNap2 wrote:

... had a Minolta SLR that had a rubber-doohicky that served the same purpose and it was a permanent attachment on the neckstrap that came with the camera. Genius.

Nice. Nikon's one is a neck-strap attachable-detachable-thus-easily-loseable

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Gollan Contributing Member • Posts: 769

I keep my DK-5 in the little pouch that also holds the ML-L3 wireless remote and I keep that tucked away in my camera bag. They seem to go together. Yes, my bag is a bottomless pit, but I like to think I'm prepared.

Gollan's gear list:Gollan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +8 more
draacor
draacor Senior Member • Posts: 1,622

Mako2011 wrote:

ocean76 wrote:

hi,

You are doing long exposures during daylight. The manual (on page 60) informs you that the problem you encountered will happen and how to prevent it. My D7000 will do it to if I don't take the steps on page 60. How bad depends on where the sun is. The results you got are normal ands to be expected. Try again with the DK-5 in place and see if that doesn't correct the issue.

Wow totally glad i read this.  I had the same problem last weekend when shooting a waterfall with my ND400 filter during the day.  I never thought about the eye piece!

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +2 more
GaryR57 Contributing Member • Posts: 506

My old Canon A1 had a little door that would close with small lever.
1980 engineering

GaryR57's gear list:GaryR57's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +2 more
hornsby Junior Member • Posts: 42

Alternatively, rather than employ an easily lost small article, simply keep a roll of gaffer's tape in your bag. Among many other good uses, next time you need to block off light from the eyepiece, just tear off a small strip of the tape and stick it over the eyepiece. Voila, problem solved.

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482

GaryR57 wrote:

1980 engineering

they don't make 'em like that anymore...

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
I Beam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,422

ZorSy wrote:

GaryR57 wrote:

1980 engineering

Yes they do. The D700 and D800 cameras have a viewfinder shutter similar to the Canon A1 I guess.

Regards

Paul

jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,017
additional note on light leaks

The eyepiece isn't the only place where stray light can enter. My 17-35 now has insulation tape across the distance scale and I've heard of a d300 that required tape across part of the lcd. The victorians had the right idea with their dark cloths over the camera - those are great for seeing the LCD clearly when checking results on sunny days.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

JAYBUK Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: additional note on light leaks

I saw a Youtube film about long exposures, and his fix was to keep a piece of bluetack either in his bag or just stuck to his tripod and used that to cover the viewfinder.  I think the film was posted ny Mike Browne.

John

-- hide signature --

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

JAYBUK's gear list:JAYBUK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +5 more
ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482

I Beam wrote:

ZorSy wrote:

GaryR57 wrote:

1980 engineering

Yes they do. The D700 and D800 cameras have a viewfinder shutter similar to the Canon A1 I guess.

Regards

Paul

my bad!

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
SGYG New Member • Posts: 5

Hi Mako2011,

I checked the thread named as 'd7100 long exposure, shocked to see the result..'.

Unfortunately I am also facing the same issue with my Nikon D7100. But once I got those purple hedges, now normal auto mode images are also having the same purple or green hedges.

Is it a permanent damage to my camera sensor?

Please help me to sort out the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

SGYG

Mako2011

SGYG wrote:

Hi Mako2011,

I checked the thread named as 'd7100 long exposure, shocked to see the result..'.

Unfortunately I am also facing the same issue with my Nikon D7100. But once I got those purple hedges, now normal auto mode images are also having the same purple or green hedges.

Is it a permanent damage to my camera sensor?

Look at those problem images and let us know the shutter speed, aperture and ISO.  What lens were you using at the time. 
It can really help if you upload and example here, in this thread, or to your DPR gallery. Sometime these types of issue can be tricky to troubleshoot. May be a simple easy fix or something more complicated.  Might even be a memory card issue...hard to say without an example.

We are here to help!!!

-- hide signature --

SGYG New Member • Posts: 5

Hi Mako2011,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I am attaching images here. I am afraid that this is not a memory card issue. I tried in DEMO mode also. But same result.

Last Sunday, I tried to take an image of waterfall with long exposure of 1.3 minute. That image also I will attach here. That image is not having any issue. It was cloudy day and around 5 p.m. So very less light was out there. But unfortunately I kept the viewfinder open.
After that when I switched to auto mode, it started to show the purple hedges and some unwanted blue color as well. I tried inside my room. There also I am getting hedges.

I tried to reset multiple times, but no help. 
Please check the images uploaded below and guide me to overcome the problems.

The image of waterfall, no hedge is here.

13/10 sec. f/25 62mm, ISO 100. , in Manual mode

After the above image was shoot, i took below images.
The next image is having the purple hedge, though shot in AUTO mode, after 15-20 mins of the above one.

1/60 sec. f/3.5 18mm , ISO 1100, in Auto mode

The below image is having blue color, which was not actual.

1/15 sec. f/7.1 70mm, ISO 800.

The below one is inside wall of my room taken around 10 o clock in the morning.1/125 sec. f/5.6 98mm, ISO 280

Mako2011
Wow

SGYG wrote:

Hi Mako2011,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I am attaching images here. I am afraid that this is not a memory card issue. I tried in DEMO mode also. But same result.

Last Sunday, I tried to take an image of waterfall with long exposure of 1.3 minute. That image also I will attach here. That image is not having any issue. It was cloudy day and around 5 p.m. So very less light was out there. But unfortunately I kept the viewfinder open.
After that when I switched to auto mode, it started to show the purple hedges and some unwanted blue color as well. I tried inside my room. There also I am getting hedges.

I tried to reset multiple times, but no help.
Please check the images uploaded below and guide me to overcome the problems.

The image of waterfall, no hedge is here.

13/10 sec. f/25 62mm, ISO 100. , in Manual mode

Cool shot!

After the above image was shoot, i took below images.
The next image is having the purple hedge, though shot in AUTO mode, after 15-20 mins of the above one.

1/60 sec. f/3.5 18mm , ISO 1100, in Auto mode

That looks like the traditional memory card or memory transfer problem.  It's normally caused by a card reader or cable going bad when you transfer files to the computer.  Can also happen with a Memory card that's not working right.  How do you move files to your computer?  If using a card reader...do you format the cards in camera before use?

The below image is having blue color, which was not actual.

1/15 sec. f/7.1 70mm, ISO 800.

Did this image look blue like this when reviewed on back of the camera before you moved it to the computer? How about the purple cutain image.  What did it look like on the back of the camera.

The below one is inside wall of my room taken around 10 o clock in the morning.

1/125 sec. f/5.6 98mm, ISO 280

Another bad image....I hope this is just a memory corruption issue and not a camera issue.    That banding at the top....was it there before you transferred the file to the computer (when reviewing it on the back of the camera)?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads