tigii Regular Member • Posts: 156
Firmware update Ver.1.03 for NEX-6

Suport the 18-105G with Fast hybrid AF

-- hide signature --

TG

tigii's gear list:tigii's gear list
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
abortabort Senior Member • Posts: 1,734
Re: Firmware update Ver.1.03 for NEX-6

-- hide signature --

TG

I believe it also now works with the Sigma lenses!

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Leica M8 Nikon D700 +54 more
Olam Forum Member • Posts: 68

I'm at ver 1.02 and the only Af lens I have is Sel1018......so do I really need this update?

Ttriple Forum Member • Posts: 55

Olam wrote:

I'm at ver 1.02 and the only Af lens I have is Sel1018......so do I really need this update?

It doesn't hurt to future proof yourself in case if you want to acquire more lenses by installing the latest firmware.

Ttriple's gear list:Ttriple's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Olam Forum Member • Posts: 68

Well I guess I will do that when I need it as I see lots of folks having a brick in their hands after updating and I don't want to push my luck with that.

Still I am curious to know if any of you with a nex-6 has seen improvements in other areas like picture quality or anything else.

Fredy Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812
thanks I just did it.

However my lens version says 01. should I update that too?

-- hide signature --

fredyr

ryan92084
ryan92084 Contributing Member • Posts: 521

abortabort wrote:

-- hide signature --

TG

I believe it also now works with the Sigma lenses!

Now that would be something new. Can anyone with a sigma confirm/deny?

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,031
Making Bricks

Olam wrote:

Well I guess I will do that when I need it as I see lots of folks having a brick in their hands after updating and I don't want to push my luck with that.

Oh, go ahead and upgrade. Here's my foolproof advise to avoid making a brick: DO NOT under any circumstances unplug your camera from the computer in the middle of the upgrade procedure!

Somewhere in the middle of the process you will see this screen and it could be confusing. I don't have whatever icon their talking about and have never missed it. If there is even the slightest bit of doubt about whether the upgrade is complete, don't unplug or turn off anything.

Still I am curious to know if any of you with a nex-6 has seen improvements in other areas like picture quality or anything else.

Too early to know, but I really doubt it.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
NicoG
NicoG Regular Member • Posts: 130

Well, it seems my NEX-6 is snappier after the update. Particularly, the keyboard, which i found was at the limit of usability because of its slowness, is clearly faster - I am certain it is not a placebo effect, as it is much more easy to use now !!). Navigation in the menu also appears snappier.

I did not try the kit lens yet (only played with manual focus lens right now), but in an other post, some body says that it is also faster at focusing (link). This guy also states that the sigma lens are much faster at focusing (it would be nice to see some tests).

Concerning the update process and brinking, to be able to "remove safely" my camera after the reset (but not unplug the usb cable), I needed to keep the memory card in the camera ... while it is stated on sony web site that you should remove it prior to the update. Not doing so, there was no way for me to "remove safely" the camera as no icon were showing up in the task bar.

NicoG's gear list:NicoG's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II
clail Contributing Member • Posts: 548

AF does seem faster! Please do some sort of measurement before and after update! I'm playing with my 55-210 the past few days and realized that it's faster to lock focus after the update. Placebo or not, I was just complaining how slow the AF on this lens esp in low light but I just realized that you gotta keep it at f5.6 or else pdaf won't work. This means no zooming to 210mm

But I went for the update primarily for the pdaf on FE lenses.

clail's gear list:clail's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +8 more
akositric
akositric Regular Member • Posts: 143

I expected some new features on v1.03. But too bad none. But there was one feature which made me a happy camper. PDAF on my Touit 1.8/32. And snappier focus on my SEL50F18. But one thing I noticed was slower startup from sleep.

All the while I thought that it was the Touit that needs an update. No wonder when writing to Zeiss asking for an update. All they can say is that all functions of the camera (NEX-6) is already supported by the lens. Which made me wonder, why did Sony just enabled PDAF on v1.03, not on the update a few months back (v1.02) when right from the start the lens did have PDAF supported? Was it to make the SEL35F18 have more edge on the Touit 1.8/32? Or I maybe wrong.

akositric's gear list:akositric's gear list
Sony a6300 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +4 more
Jesper Frickmann Contributing Member • Posts: 640

I think that they simply had to refine the AF algorithm. The software development simply takes longer time than the hardware development. Fuji did a similar thing for their cameras. I feel that AF speed with my 1670Z lens is within spitting distance of dSLR speed. Soon the last reason to buy dSLR will be gone.

Jesper Frickmann's gear list:Jesper Frickmann's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,617

clail wrote:

AF does seem faster! Please do some sort of measurement before and after update! I'm playing with my 55-210 the past few days and realized that it's faster to lock focus after the update. Placebo or not, I was just complaining how slow the AF on this lens esp in low light but I just realized that you gotta keep it at f5.6 or else pdaf won't work. This means no zooming to 210mm

I thought that f6.3 was supposed to support PDAF?

Another thing to try is using P mode, with its P-shift, and see if it will focus using the wider aperture and then take the shot at the narrow aperture.

But I went for the update primarily for the pdaf on FE lenses.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
hyenadog Contributing Member • Posts: 823

Jesper Frickmann wrote:

I think that they simply had to refine the AF algorithm. The software development simply takes longer time than the hardware development. Fuji did a similar thing for their cameras. I feel that AF speed with my 1670Z lens is within spitting distance of dSLR speed. Soon the last reason to buy dSLR will be gone.

If you need anything remotely tele/bright (AF/OIS) then you have no choice but dslr .. the elephant in the room is that sony seems to only want to invest in E-mount zoom lenses suitable primarily for its video line (constant aperture/OIS/AF).  Now a nice getting on for (as lens mount will allow) A7 sized Nikon FF with a tiltable screen sounds perfect to use with the masses of lens choice out there .. if you just want to shoot landscapes/portraits etc the NEX is fine though and you can always use an app to smear a nice defocused background LOL

Rayman616 Junior Member • Posts: 28

Just updated my NEX-6.

Switching between modes (PASM etc) is quicker.

Also quicker in turning on (but only if not turned off in the past 5 seconds).

Focus in night indoor lighting is no different.

Not a lot else I've noticed at the moment with my SEL50F18, SEL16F28 and ZM 25/2.8

I agree. I think that Sony for now leaves the long and fast zooms to the dSLR market, due to the large size and price of these.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Jesper Frickmann wrote:

If you need anything remotely tele/bright (AF/OIS) then you have no choice but dslr .. the elephant in the room is that sony seems to only want to invest in E-mount zoom lenses suitable primarily for its video line (constant aperture/OIS/AF).  Now a nice getting on for (as lens mount will allow) A7 sized Nikon FF with a tiltable screen sounds perfect to use with the masses of lens choice out there .. if you just want to shoot landscapes/portraits etc the NEX is fine though and you can always use an app to smear a nice defocused background LOL

Well, E-mount has primarily been about a more portable package, so tele zoom lenses are not a priority. Producing cameras with rangefinder form only to mate them to long tele zooms makes little sense as a top priority. That application is secondary. Sony has had 18-200 and 55-210 only to fill their basic roles. The 18-105 is a nice midrange zoom. And if you want tele for portraiture and action, 70-200G is it, for now.

Constant aperture is not just a video thing, it is a preferred approach for stills as well when you want to maintain the same exposure settings regardless of FL.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more

+1

José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,388

Jesper Frickmann wrote:

Hi Jesper,

How's the 16-70/4 after the firmware upgrade? I haven't tried mine yet in an actual shoot.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5DS +12 more
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,412
re: what a hideous idea :) !!

hyenadog wrote:

you can always use an app to smear a nice defocused background LOL

but... my automatic sarcasm detector flag went up, so this must be in jest

jpr2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads