DA15 in the city - Care to share your use?

Started Mar 19, 2014 | Discussions
Younes B Contributing Member • Posts: 956
DA15 in the city - Care to share your use?

I was off yesterday and despite the frigid temp in Montreal, I took a walk trying to find some perspective to try it with the 15. All I can say is that it does not control my mind , yet....

I find it challenging to find perspectives and you can't really get a shot you won't have to correct for perspective. So  I would welcome suggestions, technique tips and sample pics to show what you guys can achieve with that lens.

Here are a few from my outing. Feel free to comment.

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
JimBim Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: DA15 in the city - Care to share your use?

Nice pictures, Younes! Nice city. I have never been to Montreal.

It's fantastic lens! Light and sharp. I started using it by traveling to big cities. There you can find shots from my trip to Paris last year.

Audrius

JimBim's gear list:JimBim's gear list
Pentax *ist DL Pentax K20D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +3 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
DA15 is a perfect storytelling lens.

DA15 is a perfect storytelling lens. Better than most in that regard, because of its ability to contrast intimate with objective, near and far, context and isolation, both tenderness and drama.

A few images from Melbourne.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,205

I generally don't worry about perspective distortion (much) with WA, although if I were shooting architecture professionally I'd probably worry about it more and try to correct it in post more, or use a T/S lens.

DA 15 is my favorite cityscape/architecture tool. It's easy to carry, fun to shoot, and has brought me some of my favorite city images.

It can also grab iconic things:

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,496

moving_comfort wrote:

It can also grab iconic things:

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

Whoa - great timing on that one

For now I've settled on a copy of the SMC 17mm fisheye, at half the price.  Some day I shall break down and feel the magic of the DA15.

-- hide signature --

Jim in (or near) Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
OP Younes B Contributing Member • Posts: 956

Indeed, some nice shots from Paris. Thanks for sharing.

Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
Re: DA15 is a perfect storytelling lens.

Love your two shots.

You second one at low ground level is very interesting as it does serve your comment of story telling by mixing the foreground with the background, the closest and farthest object in the pic. I'll keep from that that I should try some low level shots, see what that gives. The blur on your pic is also on purpose I believe as it helps avoid visual distraction from traffic. Very well done!

On your first shot, it looks like a pano or stitched photos given the format. But how did you manage that with clouds ? Or is it a crop with that specific format?

Thanks  for your input!

I like that last one too.

However the develop stings on the first one are also appealing. The sunlight angle on the wall reveal pretty well its detail&texture. Love it!

Regards

KeesV New Member • Posts: 5

Two examples of how I sometimes use the perspective.

The first one is taken in Berlin,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keesverburg/11548680215/

The second one in Bad Bentheim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keesverburg/13132726303/

Greetings

-- hide signature --
 KeesV's gear list:KeesV's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +8 more
Uluru Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Re: DA15 is a perfect storytelling lens.

Younes B wrote:

Love your two shots.

You second one at low ground level is very interesting as it does serve your comment of story telling by mixing the foreground with the background, the closest and farthest object in the pic. I'll keep from that that I should try some low level shots, see what that gives. The blur on your pic is also on purpose I believe as it helps avoid visual distraction from traffic. Very well done!

On your first shot, it looks like a pano or stitched photos given the format. But how did you manage that with clouds ? Or is it a crop with that specific format?

Thanks for your input! ..

timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087

I find it easier to use if I erase from my mind the term 'wide angle'. There's often the temptation to use the DA15 to 'get everything in'. That usually fails composition-wise - I  end up with a completely dead area in the centre foreground. You have to remember that the 'wide-angle' characteristic applies along both axes of the image.

The last photo in the original post is a bit like that.

When I treat it as a 'foreground' lens things work better - i.e. accentuating the contrast between foreground and background, and throwing the emphasis on the foreground.

-- hide signature --

tim

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
merengues
merengues Contributing Member • Posts: 576
A nightime shot
 merengues's gear list:merengues's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Montreal, also...

You managed to get rid of the hotel on the left of the cathedral on the 2nd picture!
Indeed, the DA15 is miraculous ! I will have to bring the DA15 there, and, try to reproduce this miracle.

Here is one I did with heavy sun reflections, and, this one, at night (with tripod). Both are in Montreal too.

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +11 more
KeesV New Member • Posts: 5
 KeesV's gear list:KeesV's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +8 more
Re: Montreal, also...

jf_tea wrote:

You managed to get rid of the hotel on the left of the cathedral on the 2nd picture!
Indeed, the DA15 is miraculous ! I will have to bring the DA15 there, and, try to reproduce this miracle.

Here is one I did with heavy sun reflections, and, this one, at night (with tripod). Both are in Montreal too.

Nice shots JF. I like the reflections on the BNP building. I live downtown so I will find the right spot!!

Lots of good stuff to look for to shoot in Montreal, but weather this year is tough, to stay polite...

Younes B wrote:

jf_tea wrote:

Here is one I did with heavy sun reflections, and, this one, at night (with tripod). Both are in Montreal too.

Nice shots JF. I like the reflections on the BNP building. I live downtown so I will find the right spot!!

Lots of good stuff to look for to shoot in Montreal, but weather this year is tough, to stay polite...

yes, many nice spots to take pictures in Montreal, downtown and elsewhere too. Have you taken a stroll in and around Oratoire Saint-Joseph? Or in Old Montreal, at Place d'Armes and on rue de la Commune ? Many nice places where the DA15 would be useful. And, I need to bring the DA10-17 too there, one of these days... when it will be warmer!

And, yes, the weather this Winter has been quite difficult to put up with ! And, that's an euphemism !!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +11 more

Here is one from Old MOntreal. I bet you know where that is!

jf_tea wrote:

Younes B wrote:

jf_tea wrote:

yes, many nice spots to take pictures in Montreal, downtown and elsewhere too. Have you taken a stroll in and around Oratoire Saint-Joseph? Or in Old Montreal, at Place d'Armes and on rue de la Commune ? Many nice places where the DA15 would be useful. And, I need to bring the DA10-17 too there, one of these days... when it will be warmer!

And, yes, the weather this Winter has been quite difficult to put up with ! And, that's an euphemism !!

Younes B wrote:

Here is one from Old MOntreal. I bet you know where that is!

The Basilique Notre-Dame is nice in the evening too !

Inside is beautiful also.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads