Show Your Snaps...March 17, 2014

Started Mar 17, 2014 | Discussions
Duncan S New Member • Posts: 15
One happy dog

Part-way through a search-and-retrieve training session in some late afternoon sunshine.

I think I am getting better at exposure and much better at focus. This has been lightly edited from the raw to crop, bring down the highlights a bit and very slightly tweak the contrast and sharpness.

Comments and suggestions very welcome.

Cheers,

Duncan

Duncan S's gear list:Duncan S's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Canadian Club
Canadian Club Forum Pro • Posts: 41,938
Air-to-Air in Chipmunks

Hi:

Taken away back with the XTi when doing a formation flight in the Chipmunks.

Life is good - Blue Skies

CC

OP Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 34,215
Re: One happy dog

Yes, the dog looks very happy and is doing its best to cool off.  I think that's an excellent picture.  For perfection, you might crop it some so there's less background at the top.  But that's subjective; only consider that if you would think that it would be better.

Re: Air-to-Air in Chipmunks

They are excellent.  Every time I see one of your pictures when flying in the planes, I think of how lucky you are to be able to take not only photos of the planes in the air, but of the ground too.  It's only recently that we (in the USA and possibly Canada) may now be able to take pictures through the windows of commercial airplanes at low elevation (when taking off and landing).  At least that is what I understood the last time I checked, but that may vary from airline to airline etc.

seeker moc Regular Member • Posts: 142
Airshow

Coincidentally, this weekend is the MacDill Air Fest in Tampa. Here are some pictures of the static displays I took today. I also took a bunch of pictures of the aerial stunts, but I took ~300 of them, and it will be a while before I sort through them all for the ~30 or so I plan to keep.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120481108@N03/sets/72157642711448194/

On a side note, 250mm on APS-C is the bare minimum for something like this. I wish I had more reach for many of the aerial shots.

seeker moc's gear list:seeker moc's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C
Re: Airshow

The pictures look good.  It looks like you are all set for getting lots of photos this weekend.  I hope you have good weather too.  I like to take wide angle pictures too of the planes roaring close to people too.  Yes, it would be nicer to have more reach, but I find that 400mm EFL isn't too bad, with a little cropping from 18mp to near 12mp or thereabouts.

Yes, there will be plenty of cropping, lol. I did learn a lot today though. I figured shooting planes in flight would be similar to shooting birds in flight, so I set my focus to servo, my shutter to continuous, lined up my shot, and fired away. It's amazing how many pictures you take when working like that. Of the 1400 shots I've made in the 3 months I've had my camera, 400 of them were from just a 3 hour period today.

Another thing is that as good as the 55-250 II is for the price, it's focus is pretty slow. It worked alright if you manage to 'lock on' with servo mode, but if you loose focus, it takes (relatively) forever to get it back.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C
ohanian Regular Member • Posts: 227
Take soft picture using window and toilet paper

Hi everyone,

Here is how to take a soft picture using a window and toilet paper.

Unfortunately I am too poor to be able to hire a model , so I use a figurine as a stand in.

First you need a window and a cloudy day, if you do not have a cloudy day, then use some white curtain to reproduce the soft light.

Next use white toilet paper and put the toilet paper over the build in flash as such

Next I use manual settings with flash compensation of -1.66667 and iso 800

Finally here is the result of the shot

Re: Take soft picture using window and toilet paper

That's very good.  I've heard of some people putting transparent tape over the flash too.

Canadian Club
Re: Air-to-Air in Chipmunks

Digirame wrote:

They are excellent. Every time I see one of your pictures when flying in the planes, I think of how lucky you are to be able to take not only photos of the planes in the air, but of the ground too. It's only recently that we (in the USA and possibly Canada) may now be able to take pictures through the windows of commercial airplanes at low elevation (when taking off and landing). At least that is what I understood the last time I checked, but that may vary from airline to airline etc.

Not only do I like flying but it is great being able to take pictures of our area, some of them sure look different at 1000 feet.

I was not aware about taking pictures on commercial airplanes - well I haven't flown commercial for years.

Thanks

CC

Canadian Club

Great photos, love the blue sky.  Went there away back in the 90's when we had a place in Florida.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks

CC

Thanks. I grew up just across the bridge from you, but I definitely like it more here in FL.

Buchanan Senior Member • Posts: 1,124
Re: Show Your Snaps - Family Spring Break

Family went to Southern California for Spring break.  Used SL1 when traveling light.

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 70D +15 more
Dave Throgmartin
Dave Throgmartin Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: Show Your Snaps...March 17, 2014

Digi & wild life shooters,

Ever consider something like the link?

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/kwik-camo-photography-blind.html

A friend of mine posted this on another forum. I'd imagine it draws a fair deal of attention, but could actually work and make our financially limited lenses seem a little bit longer...

I don't know if I'd have the guts to use it or not, but it does probably work.

Dave

I really like the composition on the seagull one. It's cool how they all line up without blocking each other, and each is progressively less in focus than the last.

You all must have had a good time. The first picture reminds me of the San Bernardino Mountains, as seen from the desert side. That's very picturesque. Those are nice portraits. I also like the barrel cactus. It's been a long time since I've seen them.

Yes, I have thought about buying or making something like that.  Maybe I'll do it this summer.  I think we might have to wait "forever" for the Tamron 150-600mm lens.  But by being patient and using something like a wildlife blind in the meantime with our "short" telephoto lenses would be ideal.

I've hid in some bushes next to the ponds and kept very still, sitting down and waiting for the wildlife.  That's a natural sort-of-like wildlife blind.  One time a flock of geese walked right by me through an opening in these bushes, next to where I was sitting.  There must have been a dozen or so of them.  We all were scared for a brief moment, but since the geese understood that I was not a threat to them, they didn't seem frightened of me anymore when they walked towards the water.  That was quite an experience.  Oh, yes...I did get a good picture of them also...that was when I was using my Olympus gear. 

dzba Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

Dave Throgmartin wrote:

Digi & wild life shooters,

Ever consider something like the link?

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/kwik-camo-photography-blind.html

A friend of mine posted this on another forum. I'd imagine it draws a fair deal of attention, but could actually work and make our financially limited lenses seem a little bit longer...

I don't know if I'd have the guts to use it or not, but it does probably work.

Dave

the lengths we go to just to enjoy ourselves.    Today was my 1st time ever seeing someone use a blind set up similar to this.  Wished I taken a photo of it, but did not.  It was camo, and looked like a one person tent (I think it's intended use was for turkey hunters) with an opening for the lens.   I can see the value in this setup if you're away from others.  Might be worth it if it blocks the wind and rain, too.

Best wishes, Mike

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads