Nikon 1 Series Owners-What other Nikon Digital Camera is in your bag?

Started Mar 17, 2014 | Discussions
SRFast
SRFast Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: Nikon 1 Series Owners-What other Nikon Digital Camera is in your bag?

My main camera is a Nikon D3S with a D2H as a back up. I use the V2 when I want to travel light. I also own the FT-1 so I can use my F-mount lenses on the V2.

-- hide signature --

43+ Years of Nikon Ownership
http://www.jliuimages.com

SRFast's gear list:SRFast's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D2H Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +16 more
istreetshooter Regular Member • Posts: 240

I just sold my D90 so I could buy a Sony A6000, but I keep a D300s in the studio.

Microshooter
Microshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,869

I use my V1 for wildlife and birding with the FT-1 and 70-300VR and also use it for casual shooting at gatherings and for travel mainly with the 18.5 and 30-110. For more serious shooting I use my D800 for everything else. They make a great duo and usually have both when I am in the field.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 +15 more
BGD300V1 Contributing Member • Posts: 762
D300, D90, P7100

and a bunch of lenses of various vintages.

Each has a purpose and there is some overlap.

-- hide signature --

Formerly BG5700 and BGD300
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.wordpress.com
My camera club porfolio: http://www.pacameraclub.com/Member.Galleries/Brian_20Grant/index.html
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611
WSSA #51 as bg5700

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
David A. Hamments
David A. Hamments Senior Member • Posts: 1,478

digital ed wrote:

David A. Hamments wrote:

I also use Nikon FX (D700), DX (D7100) and CX (V2). Each system has its strengths and therefore different uses. I initially bought the V1 as a 2.7x teleconvertor for birding, but fell in love with the size and weight and quickly added four lenses. While organizing my flickr site recently, I was surprised to discover that fully one third of my posts are from Nikon 1 system cameras.... and in many instances, one can't tell the difference!

Cheers, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David, your photos show the absolute correctness of the statement that it is the photographer not the camera that makes the photograph. Excellent work!

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

Thanks Ed!  I truly appreciate the kind words.

Cheers and good light, D. Hamments

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +21 more
OP Vincent Aquilino Regular Member • Posts: 453

David,By the way real nice photos

SangYuP Regular Member • Posts: 447

I own a D800, D300 and the V1.  The V1 hardly gets any use but I'm trying to force myself to use it more.  I always seem to choose my D800 over everything else.

SangYuP's gear list:SangYuP's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D500 +18 more
David A. Hamments
David A. Hamments Senior Member • Posts: 1,478

Vincent Aquilino wrote:

David,By the way real nice photos

Thanks for checking them out Vincent!

Cheers and good light, D. Hamments

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +21 more
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,682
Look in my gear list. (nt)
-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +47 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,434

When I got the V1, I had a D700 and D300 in the bag.    By the time I got a V2, a D800e was in the bag.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +35 more
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 8,280

I had a D40, then a D90. Sold them when I bought the V1. I have a compact P7100 too.
I am mainly a traveller. I just want the highest quality in the smallest package, with all controls and an accurate VF. The V1 lacks controls, but it has an EVF (very good), and image quality is good. I do want a small camera with better image quality, EVF and more controls than the V1. The V3 is way overpriced for my use.
--
André
http://a.barelier.free.fr/

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +7 more
Veijo Vilva
Veijo Vilva Regular Member • Posts: 350

None and I can see no reason to acquire any other Nikon but series 1. Before buying my first V1, I had been using an EOS350D for eight years and an EOS5D for seven, both with adapted MF lenses only, no AF lenses whatsoever. I have two V1s and usually carry one with a 1Nikkor lens and the other one with an L39 MF lens like, e.g., a sixty years old Nikkor-H•C 1:2 f=5 cm, which optically is no match for the 1Nikkor lenses but has a different, very pleasant "old time" signature.

After buying the V1s, I haven't used my Canons. I've also got an RX100 bought before my first V1 but use it very little because it has no EVF, the lens is slow at the FLs I usually use and without NR it offers no significant advantage at high ISOs relative to V1 (I never use NR.) I never considered the V2 as I don't like the design - I detest grips and never use flash.

-- hide signature --

Veijo

Veijo Vilva's gear list:Veijo Vilva's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP2s Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
MFiftysomething Contributing Member • Posts: 790

I have V1 x 2 and V2 -keeping for kids portraits, just selling a J1 and some slow N1 lenses.

I understand the limitations and work around them or use another camera.  Others OMD EM5, Panasonic GX7 and Nex 6. Not much wrong with them.

Foot in several camps -bit expensive way but V3 dissapointing for me and with Sony E mount some confusion -that is I want high end APSC but I think Sony want to keep better bodies full frame! I am not going full frame- lenes to big and expensive.

I am favouring further investment in M43 if any, but happy with what I have at moment.

MFiftysomething's gear list:MFiftysomething's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +2 more
Marti58
MOD Marti58 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,644
My bag contains

V1 J1 D700 D300's Nikon P80 P100 Panasonic GF3 GX1  and a wide array of lenses and flashes for the various systems.

all bought for what they are.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon Coolpix P500 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 +37 more
razormac
razormac Senior Member • Posts: 1,061
Re: My bag contains

D5000, P7100, V2 + FT-1 and a bunch of DX, FX and CX lenses (actually only 2 are CX).

My next purchase will probably be the D7200 (depending upon what it turns out to be). Haven't decided on the V3 yet. The only real shortcomings to me with the V2 are needs better high ISO performance and a real hot shoe.

We aren't getting the hot shoe and high ISO is unknown at this point, so I may skip a generation or two on N1.

razormac's gear list:razormac's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +13 more
bowman
bowman Contributing Member • Posts: 637

I have 2 V1+10mm+18.5mm+10-30+30-110+FT1

D800-  24-70+70-300vr+24mm 2.8 ais+55mm 2.8 ais Micro+Tamron 90mm 2.5

I don't see my Vi as a back up but as a complete system.

Regards

John Bow

bowman's gear list:bowman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +8 more
grannygear
grannygear Regular Member • Posts: 333

digital ed wrote:

David A. Hamments wrote:

I also use Nikon FX (D700), DX (D7100) and CX (V2). Each system has its strengths and therefore different uses. I initially bought the V1 as a 2.7x teleconvertor for birding, but fell in love with the size and weight and quickly added four lenses. While organizing my flickr site recently, I was surprised to discover that fully one third of my posts are from Nikon 1 system cameras.... and in many instances, one can't tell the difference!

Cheers, D. Hamments

David, your photos show the absolute correctness of the statement that it is the photographer not the camera that makes the photograph. Excellent work!

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach1

plus 1

grannygear's gear list:grannygear's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads