Trouble for Nikon?

Started Mar 17, 2014 | Discussions
Fogsville Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Re: China asks Nikon to halt all D600 sales

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

What's up with these threads and the misleading titles?

It's like those sensationalist titles used by HuffPost and the National Enquirer. Designed to draw attention but with content that actually has little to do with the title. DPReview is becoming the equivalent of the tabloid check out stand at the supermarket.....

If anything the title is understated. News:

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/17/nikon-asked-halt-d600-sales-china-scathing-nationally-televised-expose/

That's a repetition of the same story but told in a more sensationalist way.  The world already knows about the D600 and Nikon's handling of the publicity.  The world (although clearly not all of the world) also knows of China and Japan's distrust (and sometimes hatred) of each other and their long time historical (and territorial) disputes.  The history of Japan is not a benevolent one in the eyes of the Chinese.

The D600 is no longer.  It's been replaced by the D610.  Nikon has learned a lesson in public relations.  Nikon is not in "trouble."  I can name dozens of big corporations which have had debacles in their lifetime.  Some have had several.  Nikon has learned from this one.

The reality is that Nikon may be in trouble due to the changing industry and slower sales of all things photographic (and all the other manufacturers aren't doing well either; but others are more diversified in their non-photo product portfolio.)

The title could have been: "China Forces Nikon to Halt Sales" instead of "Nikon in Trouble."   "Nikon in Trouble" is merely an assumption and was used only to draw attention.  And is a tactic which has become very common on these forums.

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

It's like those sensationalist titles used by HuffPost and the National Enquirer. Designed to draw attention but with content that actually has little to do with the title. DPReview is becoming the equivalent of the tabloid check out stand at the supermarket.....

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/17/nikon-asked-halt-d600-sales-china-scathing-nationally-televised-expose/

It's gone past just 'gearhead' news sites...but major news outlets and streaming headlines on regularly broadcasted bloomberg telecast at my work.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-15/chinese-consumer-program-targets-nikon-ozdairy-datang.html

On a happy note I imagine grey market prices from Hong Kong will now be crazy cheap.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,803

Fogsville wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

That's a repetition of the same story but told in a more sensationalist way. The world already knows about the D600 and Nikon's handling of the publicity. The world (although clearly not all of the world) also knows of China and Japan's distrust (and sometimes hatred) of each other and their long time historical (and territorial) disputes. The history of Japan is not a benevolent one in the eyes of the Chinese.

The D600 is no longer. It's been replaced by the D610. Nikon has learned a lesson in public relations. Nikon is not in "trouble." I can name dozens of big corporations which have had debacles in their lifetime. Some have had several. Nikon has learned from this one.

The reality is that Nikon may be in trouble due to the changing industry and slower sales of all things photographic (and all the other manufacturers aren't doing well either; but others are more diversified in their non-photo product portfolio.)

The title could have been: "China Forces Nikon to Halt Sales" instead of "Nikon in Trouble." "Nikon in Trouble" is merely an assumption and was used only to draw attention. And is a tactic which has become very common on these forums.

Nikon had $1.6B of sales in China last year, China is the largest emerging market on the planet, and reputation is of supreme importance to Chinese consumers. Nikon is in trouble.

Timbukto wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

It's gone past just 'gearhead' news sites...but major news outlets and streaming headlines on regularly broadcasted bloomberg telecast at my work.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-15/chinese-consumer-program-targets-nikon-ozdairy-datang.html

Are you familiar how news is 'gathered' in the modern age?  I'm not implying that it's not a worthwhile story to read and digest, but "news" now comes in the form of "press releases" to the editorial desks (and the most common are corporations releasing 'information' in the form of "news.")  For the most part journalists no longer investigate (except for a very few institutions which still employ actual journalists.)  Stories are recycled from other sources, and in the internet age it's become ubiquitous (and is also how misinformation can become viral and 'factual.' And why there are sites like Mythbusters, etc..)

There probably won't be an investigation into the nature of the Chinese government (and Chinese state supported media) responses to outside corporations (like VW, Starbucks, Apple, etc..) doing business in China.  And that's actually a much bigger story than Nikon's debacle with the D600.

On a more cheerful note, maybe the D600 will someday become a collector's item.

Horshack wrote:

Nikon had $1.6B of sales in China last year, China is the largest emerging market on the planet, and reputation is of supreme importance to Chinese consumers. Nikon is in trouble.

Yes this is true...people like to think that Americans as a whole are rather 'sheeple' and pay too much attention to brand image, marketing, and reputation over actual quality, etc (i.e. Beats headphones, etc).  The importance of brand image is actually *worse* (i.e. greater) in many Asian countries including China.  And if they feel they are getting poorer service compared to Americas or Europe its a nail in the coffin.

If I remember correctly the Nikon exec interviews were all 'China China China'...the headline of this OP is absolutely valid...its considerable trouble for Nikon.

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

That's a repetition of the same story but told in a more sensationalist way. The world already knows about the D600 and Nikon's handling of the publicity. The world (although clearly not all of the world) also knows of China and Japan's distrust (and sometimes hatred) of each other and their long time historical (and territorial) disputes. The history of Japan is not a benevolent one in the eyes of the Chinese.

The D600 is no longer. It's been replaced by the D610. Nikon has learned a lesson in public relations. Nikon is not in "trouble." I can name dozens of big corporations which have had debacles in their lifetime. Some have had several. Nikon has learned from this one.

The title could have been: "China Forces Nikon to Halt Sales" instead of "Nikon in Trouble." "Nikon in Trouble" is merely an assumption and was used only to draw attention. And is a tactic which has become very common on these forums.

There's a much bigger story here than China's response to Nikon's debacle.  There's some good reading about China's responses to foreign investments and sales within the border.  Read about the Chinese car industry and their response to foreign automakers.  It's pretty fascinating.  Also with corporations like Apple, etc..

I'm not condoning Nikon's behavior with the D600 (and I'm a D600 owner), but Nikon is not in trouble because of Chinese perceptions of Nikon specifically.  Sure it will affect sales but there's another issue going on here.....

Fogsville wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

Are you familiar how news is 'gathered' in the modern age? I'm not implying that it's not a worthwhile story to read and digest, but "news" now comes in the form of "press releases" to the editorial desks (and the most common are corporations releasing 'information' in the form of "news.") For the most part journalists no longer investigate (except for a very few institutions which still employ actual journalists.) Stories are recycled from other sources, and in the internet age it's become ubiquitous (and is also how misinformation can become viral and 'factual.' And why there are sites like Mythbusters, etc..)

There probably won't be an investigation into the nature of the Chinese government (and Chinese state supported media) responses to outside corporations (like VW, Starbucks, Apple, etc..) doing business in China. And that's actually a much bigger story than Nikon's debacle with the D600.

On a more cheerful note, maybe the D600 will someday become a collector's item.

Great I know news is regurgitated...but the fact of the matter is speaking of regurgitation...the China debacle is making some Nikon exec throw up just a little in their mouth.

Fogsville wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

There's a much bigger story here than China's response to Nikon's debacle. There's some good reading about China's responses to foreign investments and sales within the border. Read about the Chinese car industry and their response to foreign automakers. It's pretty fascinating. Also with corporations like Apple, etc..

I'm not condoning Nikon's behavior with the D600 (and I'm a D600 owner), but Nikon is not in trouble because of Chinese perceptions of Nikon specifically. Sure it will affect sales but there's another issue going on here.....

A good modern documentary to watch is Red Obsession.  China has absolutely no problem at all with foreign goods as long as there is 'respect'.  Lafite printed the Chinese symbol of good luck on their bottles and their reputation has never been 2nd since.

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,803

Fogsville wrote:

There's a much bigger story here than China's response to Nikon's debacle. There's some good reading about China's responses to foreign investments and sales within the border. Read about the Chinese car industry and their response to foreign automakers. It's pretty fascinating. Also with corporations like Apple, etc..

I'm not condoning Nikon's behavior with the D600 (and I'm a D600 owner), but Nikon is not in trouble because of Chinese perceptions of Nikon specifically. Sure it will affect sales but there's another issue going on here.....

Perhaps but if you read the transcript of the show they also held Alibaba to the fire for an unrelated issue (the Chinese e-commerce giant).

Timbukto wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

A good modern documentary to watch is Red Obsession. China has absolutely no problem at all with foreign goods as long as there is 'respect'. Lafite printed the Chinese symbol of good luck on their bottles and their reputation has never been 2nd since.

Red Obsession is about the French wine industry as a whole. I'm talking about the Chinese government and its affairs in foreign investments and imports. And state-owned companies account for 45% of the country's economy. And things are not all rosy in respect to being the so-called "world's biggest retail market." Fresh new signs of economic weakness in China

btw, if you're interested in the wine industry here's a much more smartly done documentary: Mondovino

As to your comment about Nikon executives "regurgitating in their mouths" about this publicity, I too also wonder what's being said behind the closed doors of Nikon headquarters. But I think the Japanese cultural phenomenon of “In Japan, there is a phrase: if something smells, put a lid on it,” said Shunkichi Takayama, a Tokyo-based lawyer who has handled complaints related to Toyota vehicles" NYT and Japanese business culture is a big part of this D600 'debacle.' Plus you never question your superiors. In Japan there is not much in the form of consumer protection laws; the corporation is always right.

Horshack wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

Perhaps but if you read the transcript of the show they also held Alibaba to the fire for an unrelated issue (the Chinese e-commerce giant).

What's really interesting to me about that (and revealing too) is that Alibaba is privately owned in China and has just recently announced (today in fact) that its IPO will be set in the United States and that it's in discussion with 6 banks and none of them are Chinese banks (all are US and European.) So I think that says something about the Chinese governments feelings towards Alibaba in general. One really has to read between the lines with these news stories originating out of China.

btw, also remember that CCTV is state run by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television of the People's Republic of China (SAPPRFT) which is under State Council of the People's Republic of China. We're getting information that comes under the direction of the government of China and not from a private independent media source.

But again, it's not that there is no merit to it, and it's not that I am condoning Nikon's behavior (I'm not), but just that there is more to this than meets the eye (as with everything.) And also simply saying that "Nikon is in Trouble" (and what factually is the reality of that 'trouble?') is not very revealing. One might be better off putting it all into a historical and a political economy perspective. There's a lot more here between the lines that we aren't reading (and with current and historical Sino-Japanese relations.)

OP dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 6,509
Re: Trouble for Nikon?

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

Excuse me, but the title has nothing to do with the story I linked? The one where China is going after them for shipping defective products? You don't think that's trouble?

Uh.....OK.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

Excuse me, but the title has nothing to do with the story I linked? The one where China is going after them for shipping defective products? You don't think that's trouble?

Uh.....OK.

But specifically what kind of "trouble?" And is Nikon's health truly of interest to you as a non-Nikon user? Are you honestly concerned about Nikon's future and specifically how it handles its public relations? Or is there any personal agenda here? Otherwise, the post might have been structured in a manner that would be not so direct and instead more of a true inquiry. Sorry to be suspect, but it's sometimes not too hard to understand certain agendas. And it's just an observation of a style that seems to be more commonplace here. If you are truly interested, it would have been informative to hear some additional comments rather than simply 'tossing it out there.' Again, it could have easily been worded differently.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting story for all the reasons I've mentioned (take the time to read the above posts.) And I do appreciate that you posted the source. I realize DP Review is not an intellectual forum, but nonetheless there are some things said here that do sometimes motivate further analysis. And it would be nice if things were discussed in a broader sense and in respect to bigger issues that actually do matter (in a global scheme of things.) In this case, I'd argue it's not about Nikon per se, but about those things which reveal a bigger issue than simply a defective camera. However, I'd certainly agree that this may not be the appropriate venue to go any further with it. Although it certainly got me thinking. So thank you for the motivation!

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,317

Reaping the wind I suppose.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
OP dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 6,509

Fogsville wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

Uh.....OK.

But specifically what kind of "trouble?" And is Nikon's health truly of interest to you as a non-Nikon user? Are you honestly concerned about Nikon's future and specifically how it handles its public relations? Or is there any personal agenda here? Otherwise, the post might have been structured in a manner that would be not so direct and instead more of a true inquiry. Sorry to be suspect, but it's sometimes not too hard to understand certain agendas. And it's just an observation of a style that seems to be more commonplace here. If you are truly interested, it would have been informative to hear some additional comments rather than simply 'tossing it out there.' Again, it could have easily been worded differently.

I posted a question, and a  link because I thought it might interest Nikon shooters. No agenda. Honestly, what possible agenda could I have? And I guess Nikon's stock falling 4% in a day is a good sign, right? And I "tossed it out there" to generate discussion, not to judge or try and sway opinion one way or the other. I really don't understand why your so upset about this. It's just a link to an article describing some trouble Nikon is having in China.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting story for all the reasons I've mentioned (take the time to read the above posts.) And I do appreciate that you posted the source. I realize DP Review is not an intellectual forum, but nonetheless there are some things said here that do sometimes motivate further analysis. And it would be nice if things were discussed in a broader sense and in respect to bigger issues that actually do matter (in a global scheme of things.) In this case, I'd argue it's not about Nikon per se, but about those things which reveal a bigger issue than simply a defective camera. However, I'd certainly agree that this may not be the appropriate venue to go any further with it. Although it certainly got me thinking. So thank you for the motivation!

This isn't a "broader sense" issue, it's about Nikon shipping a defective camera into China. It's a specific issue, and that's why I posted it into the appropriate Nikon forum.

FWIW, I've also seen some fanboys here deny that the problem existed, or that it was extremely limited in scope. This, despite the fact that Nikon introduced the D610, and is fixing, at their cost, anyone with a D600 whether or not it's in warranty. It's an issue, and China seems to be actually doing something about it, rather than letting their consumers get screwed.

Well, you wanted an opinion, so there it is.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Gazeomon
Gazeomon Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Re: Funny fellow! Ha Ha!

T O Shooter wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:.

It's only the Chinese being foolish! I learned on here that the D600 issue is internet hype, and that everyone should just clean their sensors anyway.

Everybody should occasionally clean their sensor

Nikon are on record as saying the D600 problem is only occasional, and Nikon UK's MD is on the record as saying in the UK there have been very few D600 complaints.

You do not have to go far back on this and other forums to learn untrue claims that all 24-70's leak light and all 70-200's have internal peeling paint

I am not suggesting no D600's had a fault but I know 14 owners who do not have a fault. I looked at several "claims" posted on this forum and noted few "complainers" seemed to know what normal dust or liquid on a sensor was

I take the view that as anybody getting the occasional defective dishwater, printer, camera etc is entitled to a prompt exchange in UK, the EEC and USA the "99% of D600's have dust" type threads are almost as exaggerated as all 24-70's leak light and all 70-200's have peeling paint.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may not always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Oh yes, I fully realize it was only a very, very few D600s that had an issue. Stupid really, class action law suits, new 610 model introduced for no good reason, full, unlimited to anyone shutter warranty, for anyone who happened to buy, steal, pick up in the ditch, a D600. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous! And only a very few complaints. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

Oh well, just another apologist. I am glad that NIKON get's it's butt kicked for that 'one' and I don't care if they are chinese, norweigian or from Swaziland.

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Samsung NX500 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,592

dmanthree wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/17/news/companies/nikon-china/index.html?iid=HP_LN

People have short memories and even shorter attention spans; people will forget about it in about 5 mins...

There have been far more significant defects in other products, cars that killed people, cribs that killed babies, food that poisoned people... it's a camera, every manufacturer has had problems with their cameras at some point.  I probably would have dealt with the problem the same way; have people send the camera in and deal with it each individual case as required while assessing the severity of the problem and working on a permanent solution if that's required.

I've worked on product problems that took may months to solve for what seemed like a simple problem.  You need solid data on the problem, you need resources to assess the data and you need an understanding of what's happening, not just a band aid that results in future problems.  The problem can be in the design, the vendor part, the assembly process, the packaging, and once you find it, then you have to figure out the best way to solve it.  In theory it seems easy, in practice it isn't always and I've seen several "easy" problems take multiple attempts that required additional product replacements.... that costs you money and it doesn't make anyone happy.

Unfortunately, you often don't have the resources to do it right the first time... which results in you spending much more time fixing the problem later, which results in you not having enough resources to do something else right the first time... unfortunately, timelines are often very tight and you can't do everything you want to do; that's extremely frustrating to product designers.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 21,439
Re: The real trouble may still be ahead...

paulski66 wrote:

With all that talk in the article about Starbucks being targeted for selling overpriced coffee, imagine the outrage if they find out about the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4g.

Yes, of course. How dare Starbucks pay a fair price for their coffee, charge whatever price they can get, then pay their employees a living wage and benefits?

It's against everything the Chinese stand for.

-- hide signature --

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. --H.G. Wells

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Rich Rosen Senior Member • Posts: 2,358
Re: Trouble for Nikon? No, very big trouble!!

Its not only CNN and CCTV that is reporting this story. Reuters, Wall Street Journal, IndiaTimes are all reporting this story. Stock market prices for Nikon are to down 4.2% on Mondays opening in Tokyo. to a 5 week low. How relations between China and Japan have effected this situation is no longer mitigating factor. What photographers have been aware of since 2012 is now a major news story. I would say that Nikon is in very big trouble. Nikon's reputation is taking a big hit. The ability to raise funds in the market place and to sell to its customer will be adversely effected.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads