Need a calibrator

Started Mar 17, 2014 | Discussions
Zoom71 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Need a calibrator

Hi guys. I've bought a 23" IPS monitor (HP) and i'm looking for a calibrator. I'm debating between ColorMunkie Display and Spyder4Pro. I'm just an amateur. Which of these two models do you recommend me?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

soloryb Senior Member • Posts: 2,255
Re: Need a calibrator

Zoom71 wrote:

Hi guys. I've bought a 23" IPS monitor (HP) and i'm looking for a calibrator. I'm debating between ColorMunkie Display and Spyder4Pro. I'm just an amateur. Which of these two models do you recommend me?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

There's also Xrite's i1Display Pro.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875

Zoom71 wrote:

I use a Spyder4Express with my 24" Asus PA248Q. It seems to work well. This monitor comes custom calibrated from the factory with a test sheet, and the Spyder calibration only changes it by an insignificant amount. I take this to mean both the monitor and calibrator are accurate.

The only limitations I know of for the Express model is that it can only calibrate one monitor on your computer. If you use two monitors then it can't handle it and is not suitable. The second limitation is more minor. It does not measure monitor brightness so you have to set it manually before you start the calibration. I use a nominal graph of brightness vs % setting to approximate 120 cd/m2. The exact setting suitable is dependent on your environment so it is somewhat subjective in any case. There is probably no perfect setting.

No regrets in selecting the Spyder4Express for my needs.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Doublehelix
Doublehelix Senior Member • Posts: 1,026

Zoom71 wrote:

I have the Spyder4Pro, and it works very well for my needs. I have pretty good results going from screen to print since I started using it.

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
win39 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560

I read a review of one several years ago by a printing pro and he said everyone needs one, but it does not matter which one since there is very little difference between the results of any of them.

Color Munki for me. I like the automation. Makes it simple.

MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,098

Zoom71 wrote:

There are a load of reviews of monitor calibrators on Northlight Images.

He tests a lot of high end models, but says the ColorMunki Display does just as good a job at a much lower price than most others.
I had the Pantone Huey Pro (now discontinued) but the ColorMunki Display does a much more comprehensive set of tests during it's alignment procedure.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 11,624

The Spyder4Express software will only color calibrate one monitor while the ColorMonki Display software will calibrate multiple monitors.

The ColorMonki Display and the Datacolor Spyder4Express only do automatic software color correction calibrations. They give you suggested manual settings for the monitor for things like Contrast and Brightness but these suggested settings will only produce Contrast and Brightness settings that are close to being correct. The software then takes over and makes the additional corrections. If the suggested values are very far off the software has to make large corrections which isn't good since with large corrections the calibration is less accurate and less stable.

The Datacolor Spyder4Pro or Spyder4Elite will color calibrate multiple monitors.  In the Advanced mode they also give you graphical screens that will help you manually adjust the monitor Contrast, Brightness, and individual R, G, and B values until the are accurate before the software finishes tweaking the calibration. Making these manual adjustments to the monitor means a better and longer lasting calibration.

The Spyder4Pro and Spyder4Elite are my recommendations.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
OP Zoom71 Regular Member • Posts: 152

Thanks for your advices. A friend just gave me a Spyder2Express. I'm thinking to try this old calibrator with BasicColor or another software before buy a new one.

Toermalijn wrote:

Read this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52822456

and this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53825.0

http://www.gamutprints.com/2012/04/i1display-pro-vs-spyder-4-and-spyder-4-quick-review/

http://nativedigital.co.uk/site/2013/04/i1display-pro-vs-spyder4elite/

Spiders are not that accurate.

Calibration instructions:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50454217

Thanks mate. A very useful information here. You're the second person to tell me that the Spyders are not accurate:

http://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=3513844 (8 reply)

Curiously they recommend ArgyllCMS/DispcalGUI combo too...

Sailor Blue

Toermalijn wrote:

Spiders are not that accurate.

Calibration instructions:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50454217

I have never had a bit of trouble with my Spyder3Elite with four different monitors and a laptop. As far as I can tell the calibrations are all fine and accurate.

If you want an X-Rite calibration device then I would recommend the i1Display Pro over the ColorMonki Display.

B&H - X-Rite i1Display Pro

If you want the best then that would be the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 2 Color Management Kit for Photographers at $1,499.

B&H - X-Rite i1Photo Pro 2 Color Management Kit for Photographers

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 3,783

I have perhaps the cheapest of available calibrators with the Colormunki Smile (about US$90). There is no ability to set white point, black point or gamma, the whole process is automatic and like other of the cheaper calibrators it doesnt set brightness.

However, it is totally idiot proof to use. It can be used on multiple monitors (it recognizes them at set up) and also color calibrates my ipad. I bought a second Dell wide gamut monitor and although both monitors were factory calibrated, their colors looked different. A run through by the colormunki and they matched perfectly (to my eyes).

I looked at the Northernlight review and this was the conclusion

'This really is the easiest monitor calibrator I've ever used - nothing to set up and nothing to decide about calibration and profiling settings.

If you just want a better set up screen and confidence that your display is showing the correct colours, then that's it. Plug it in, run the software and you're done.

X-rite have realised that there is a considerable market for monitor calibrators amongst people who quite frankly couldn't care less about gamma and white points - they just want better colour.

You want better colour - it just works...'

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/colormunki_smile.html

MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,098

Abrak wrote:

I have perhaps the cheapest of available calibrators with the Colormunki Smile (about US$90). There is no ability to set white point, black point or gamma, the whole process is automatic and like other of the cheaper calibrators it doesnt set brightness.

However, it is totally idiot proof to use. It can be used on multiple monitors (it recognizes them at set up) and also color calibrates my ipad. I bought a second Dell wide gamut monitor and although both monitors were factory calibrated, their colors looked different. A run through by the colormunki and they matched perfectly (to my eyes).

I looked at the Northernlight review and this was the conclusion

'This really is the easiest monitor calibrator I've ever used - nothing to set up and nothing to decide about calibration and profiling settings.

Since the calibration settings (brightness, gamma, colour temperature etc.) are standardised, then there's no reason to be able to alter them. Give me the "idiot proof" solution anytime, over something that is fully adjustable in ignorance.

If you just want a better set up screen and confidence that your display is showing the correct colours, then that's it. Plug it in, run the software and you're done.

X-rite have realised that there is a considerable market for monitor calibrators amongst people who quite frankly couldn't care less about gamma and white points - they just want better colour.

You want better colour - it just works...'

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/colormunki_smile.html

It was after reading the reviews on Northlight Images that I chose the ColorMunki Display.

Let's face it, just about any calibration is better than no calibration.
I previously used the now discontinued Pantone Huey Pro, and the results on our club projector matched what I saw on my screen at home, plus any commercially produced prints were a pretty good match too.
Since I recently bought a new Dell monitor, I thought it was about time to update to a new calibrator.
Although the ColorMunki Display performs a lot more calibration steps than the Huey, the results are not very different, although in both cases they are a lot different compared to no calibration.

PepsiCan Contributing Member • Posts: 739
Re: Not curious at all

Zoom71 wrote:

Curiously they recommend ArgyllCMS/DispcalGUI combo too...

That software combination gives you much more flexibility than either the X-Rite or Data Color standard software will. It works great and the support is very good.

Furthermore, ArgyllCMS will also help you calibrate and profile (the two are not the same) your input equipement (scanners or cameras) and other outputs like printers.

In light of the latter, I would not get either of two pieces of equipement. I would get the Colormunk Photo instead.

• It can calibrate itself so that you don't have the problem of it going out of wack, like the spyder does
  • It can also do patch scanning for printer profiling. So, it is a two-in-one solution.
  • It is not a Colorimeter but a Spectrometer. No issues with wide gamut displays.
 PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more

Thanks everybody. I've found a review of my monitor:

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-hp-pavilion-23xi-teil5.html#Farbwiedergabe

"For occasional color-critical applications, the calibrated 23xi is still attractive. Whether the procurement of a colorimeter is worth considering the small improvements that would have to be weighed in each case. Due to the low purchase price of the 23xi that will probably not come into question." (Google translate)

Tried Spyder2Express and BasicColor... Bad results (not reliable and not accurate: great Delta error). It's time to get ColorMunki Display or Spyder4Pro. Thanks

Geoffreyg123 Junior Member • Posts: 25

Hi do you know where I can buy a screen calibrator in Bangkok? Just asking as it says you live there. Had no luck today.

Sailor Blue

Probably 6 years ago I found a Datacolor Spyder3 at Fotofile on the third floor of MBK.

You might try Gismography at 15 Sukhumvit 101/1, Bangkok 10260. Prices are higher than the US. From a report in Thaivisa.com in 2015:

Prices found at a Bangkok professional shop:

i1 Display Pro @ 9,500 THB
Color Munki Display @ 7,000 THB
Color Checker Passport @4,400 THB

https://www.facebook.com/gismography/posts/10151861269388672

https://www.facebook.com/gismography/info?tab=overview

Found other sources with same or slightly differing prices.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You can order from Amazon.com or eBay but the color calibrators are shipped from the USA and the shipping charge seems to run around $25-$60, which makes the price close to that charged in BKK.

My Spyder3 no longer works since I "upgraded" to Windows 10 so I'm having an i1Display Pro brought to me in November by a friend.  I'll order from Amazon.com with free shipping within the USA so I'll save about US $100 over the BKK price.  Of course if it doesn't work I'm screwed.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Saleen1999
Saleen1999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

I have the Spyder but I read better reviews on the Xrite and not good reviews on the Colormunki. I need a really good calibrator or I will have to put the money out to buy an sRGB monitor with a built in calibrator.

-- hide signature --

Melissa
Adobe Photoshop CC 2015
PaintShop Pro X9
Lightroom
Gimp
http://www.pbase.com/mnewco

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Geoffreyg123 Junior Member • Posts: 25

I live in Cambodia but often travel to BKK for camera gear. Does Amazon work there? Would you say that's probably the best way to get stuff if you don't mind paying the extra? No Amazon in Cambodia...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads