Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?

Started Mar 16, 2014 | Discussions
torppapa Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?

I've just sold my 5D Mk II getting a little bit old and I decided to "upgrade" to the 6D.

I'm not a pro photographer so I wasn't really interested in the 5D Mk III.

I was generally very satisfied with the 5D2 image quality (till ISO 3200) however I had also some issues with it.

Erratic (center point) autofocus in bad (artificial) light with big aperture lenses (f1.4-f2.0) - will the 6d do better?

I was not completely satisfied with ISO 6400 and above - I'm not sure, if the 6D will be a big leap forward. What do you mean?

Lifting shadows resulted in blotchy (purple and green) areas (see pic below) - Can I lift the shadows of the 6D better than those of the 5D?

The 5D2 was too big for me to haul around the whole day. Canon advertises the 6D as a travel camera, I hope it will fit better for that purpose.

At the moment I'm still unsure if I should keep the 6D, since I'm really happy with my D7100 except high ISO.

Here is an example of lifted shadows (the pics are a crop from the shadow area, now the whole image): 5D2 on left and D7100 on the right: for better experience click full size view.

I think the D7100 shadows do better when are lifted.

Both images where developed with LR. (I hope the 6D will do better than the 5D2)

torppapa's gear list:torppapa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D +38 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Beserk
Beserk Senior Member • Posts: 1,224
Re: Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?

I usually do my research and ask questions before making a purchase.

OP torppapa Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Re: Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?

Thank you very much. You contribution was a big help ! I'll do as you wrote.

Beserk wrote:

Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D +38 more
Mike K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,525

Erratic (center point) autofocus in bad (artificial) light with big aperture lenses (f1.4-f2.0) - will the 6d do better?

I was not completely satisfied with ISO 6400 and above - I'm not sure, if the 6D will be a big leap forward. What do you mean?

Lifting shadows resulted in blotchy (purple and green) areas (see pic below) - Can I lift the shadows of the 6D better than those of the 5D?

Yes to all questions, 6D is a significant improvement in these areas.  incremental improvements, but all going the right way.

I also like the fact that it will bracket 5 and 7 shots, which the 5DII cannot. However I would have preferred CF cards over SD, and I much prefer the joystick over the multi controller buttons.

Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
JoEick Regular Member • Posts: 175

Everything concerning image quality and auto focus are better on the 6D. No debating that! Some people only find the lack of joystick to be a downgrade.

I went from a 5d2 to 6D and have taken tens of thousands of shots with it so far. The high ISO looks waaaay better past ISO 3200, and responds better to Photoshop noise reduction.

The shadow detail and ability to lift them is also much improved over the 5D2 at any ISO level. You have to push 5+ stops to see any hint of banding on the 6D where as the 5D2 could show it in a 2-3 stop push.

There are also many new features such as wifi and 2 shot bracketing, which make the 6D a more versatile machine for creativity.

Mike K wrote:

Yes to all questions, 6D is a significant improvement in these areas. incremental improvements, but all going the right way.

I also like the fact that it will bracket 5 and 7 shots, which the 5DII cannot. However I would have preferred CF cards over SD, and I much prefer the joystick over the multi controller buttons.

Mike K

Thank you for your opinion. I'm glad to hear that from a user who handled both of them.

How about dynamic range? I know the values from DXOmark, but would be interested if bracketing is so important to you because of the not-so-waste DR of the 6D.

I was really astounded when I got my D7100 how well it does regarding DR against the 5D2. Is there any improvement between 5D2 and 6D?

JoEick wrote:

Everything concerning image quality and auto focus are better on the 6D. No debating that! Some people only find the lack of joystick to be a downgrade.

I went from a 5d2 to 6D and have taken tens of thousands of shots with it so far. The high ISO looks waaaay better past ISO 3200, and responds better to Photoshop noise reduction.

The shadow detail and ability to lift them is also much improved over the 5D2 at any ISO level. You have to push 5+ stops to see any hint of banding on the 6D where as the 5D2 could show it in a 2-3 stop push.

There are also many new features such as wifi and 2 shot bracketing, which make the 6D a more versatile machine for creativity.

I won't complain about the lack of the joystick, since this a thing you know already before you purchase the product.

I'm glad to hear that you can push shadows better than on the 5D2. This was one of the major issues (other than DR) why I got the D7100. (Well why I'm a little bit hesitant with the 6D, is why it uses the "same" old sensor technology as the 5D2 used to have, sure in a more refined way, while Nikon (Sony, Toshiba) is using much more advanced semiconductor manufacturing technology).

As you see in the example, the Nikon does very well in lifting shadows. (in the original shot the crop I put here in this forum was almost black, since other parts of the image were in plain sunshine). I'm going to take the same pic also with the 6D and will lift shadows.

Here is the whole pic (from the Nikon first, and after from the 5D2), shadows already lifted:

Nikon D7100

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

IMO the Canon 6D has much improved DR over the 5Dmk2. Without using DxoMark numbers I rate the Canon 6D as having DR similar to some of the better APS-C sensors.  Visually my 6D was about as good as the Nikon D3200 if not better in lack of banding.  7100 is supposed to have high DR but supposedly also has a banding tendency greater than say a D7000.

5Dmk2 is avg DR with high banding characteristic.  6D i would say is above avg DR with little to no banding characteristic and one of the best in the Canon line.  D6/800s are the best DR with no banding characteristic.  And supposedly the 7100 is good DR but it does have some banding characteristic, (at least was often mentioned initially).  Banding is not something really factored into DxoMark scores as it is more subjectively negative a characteristic than a measured one based on std dev or whatever of noise.

So in summary the cream of the crop is to have high DR with no banding.  The worst combination is to have limited DR and tendency of banding.  And more middle of the road would be anything in between.

So in a sense the 6D may be around your d7100 maybe slightly better or worse depending on when banding appears.  The 7100 probably does much better on dxomark but banding is not really accounted for there.  If you find your d7100 is banding free it probably out does the 6D at low ISO shadow lifts.  I never shot a 7100, but my 6D was easily as good as the d3200 which was closer to a 13EV Dr camera.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

Timbukto wrote:

IMO the Canon 6D has much improved DR over the 5Dmk2. Without using DxoMark numbers I rate the Canon 6D as having DR similar to some of the better APS-C sensors. Visually my 6D was about as good as the Nikon D3200 if not better in lack of banding. 7100 is supposed to have high DR but supposedly also has a banding tendency greater than say a D7000.

5Dmk2 is avg DR with high banding characteristic. 6D i would say is above avg DR with little to no banding characteristic and one of the best in the Canon line. D6/800s are the best DR with no banding characteristic. And supposedly the 7100 is good DR but it does have some banding characteristic, (at least was often mentioned initially). Banding is not something really factored into DxoMark scores as it is more subjectively negative a characteristic than a measured one based on std dev or whatever of noise.

So in summary the cream of the crop is to have high DR with no banding. The worst combination is to have limited DR and tendency of banding. And more middle of the road would be anything in between.

So in a sense the 6D may be around your d7100 maybe slightly better or worse depending on when banding appears. The 7100 probably does much better on dxomark but banding is not really accounted for there. If you find your d7100 is banding free it probably out does the 6D at low ISO shadow lifts. I never shot a 7100, but my 6D was easily as good as the d3200 which was closer to a 13EV Dr camera.

Thank you for your contribution I appreciate.

For the cameras I know I agree with you. My D7100 shows the banding issue, unfortunately also at mid/low ISOs, but only in certain situations which I couldn't yet figure out what certain means in this cases - i.e. I see banding issues rarely.

For the 5D2 I agree: bad shadow lifting, banding and blotchy color spots in lifted shadows.

It is also interesting that you say, the 6D will do as good as better APS-C sensors - I agree, but it is still interesting, since we are speaking about a full frame camera announced in 2012 (whose sensor is still manufactured with a 10 years old 0.5 micron technology. Not that the newer sensor technology from canon gives that much hope for better DR, see the 70D's 40 MP sensor).

Well, I'm excited to see the results, since I have still mixed feelings about the sample pics which you can download from different sites.

biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,038

torppapa wrote:

Beserk wrote:

So are you looking to obtain some "comforting" posts telling you that you made the right decision? The above reply is obvious, you should think and evaluate properly before buying... The 5DMKII is a great camera, the 6D is a great camera too of course. DR is important, but much more important is getting experience in how to overcome one's cameras limitations.

You want to quickly learn how to properly expose? Buy a cheap film camera and a few rolls of slide film, that will open your eyes...

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more

Hi, thank you for your contribution too.

Would 20 years of shooting slides in the past be enough in your opinion to open my eyes? I would appretiate if you could comment also on this. I'm sure you will tell me the "truth".

I have 3 films cameras right now. Would they be enough to do more exercises?

If not, then I'll continue shooting slides - as I do - with my Linhof Technika.

But in this thread I don't really want to discuss about analog photography which is a very interesting topic indeed.

BTW: What's wrong in asking if the 6D is in certain aspects better than the 5D2?

biza43 wrote:

torppapa wrote:

Beserk wrote:

So are you looking to obtain some "comforting" posts telling you that you made the right decision? The above reply is obvious, you should think and evaluate properly before buying... The 5DMKII is a great camera, the 6D is a great camera too of course. DR is important, but much more important is getting experience in how to overcome one's cameras limitations.

You want to quickly learn how to properly expose? Buy a cheap film camera and a few rolls of slide film, that will open your eyes...

Beserk
Beserk Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

torppapa wrote:

BTW: What's wrong in asking if the 6D is in certain aspects better than the 5D2?

It just seems like a weird question. you've already made the purchase--I would focus on asking questions on how to enjoy the new purchase. Have fun!

Beserk wrote:

torppapa wrote:

It just seems like a weird question. you've already made the purchase--I would focus on asking questions on how to enjoy the new purchase. Have fun!

Well, I placed the order indeed, it hasn't yet arrived and I can still send it back. I was interested in other photographer's opinion, who owned the 5D2 and have upgraded to the 6D.

A thing which I wouldn't maybe do anymore on this forum.

The good thing is, the 6D will cost me nothing, since I could sell my 5D2 at a very good price.

Yes, I have fun, thanks.

biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,038

Ok, I will try again

torppapa wrote:

No idea. My 5DMKII never had this problem, not even with a 50 f1.2 L lens. Perhaps your lenses required AF adjustment with the 5DMKII? Did you tried that? My 6D has no problems.

Can't help, never used those high ISO's.

Can't help, never needed to uplift shadows that much. When I anticipate that I will have such problems, I use a GND filter, or bracket exposures. I also shoot RAW. And yes, I have learned to make decisions on exposures with slide film.

The 5D2 was too big for me to haul around the whole day. Canon advertises the 6D as a travel camera, I hope it will fit better for that purpose.

The 6D is only slightly smaller than the 5DMKII. Canon advertises the 6D as a travel camera due to the integral GPS and WiFi.

At the moment I'm still unsure if I should keep the 6D, since I'm really happy with my D7100 except high ISO.

Can't help, never had the Nikon.

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

A good idea.  5D2 is only better having 1/8000 sec shutter compared to 1/4000 in 6D but hardly you'd need it.

Walter Contributing Member • Posts: 503

I have had both... 6D is great as was the 5D11 in its time. It is so easy to get bogged down on which tool for the job. I became more interested when you showed the whole photograph. Curious on your camera position and why you didn't include the top of the tower or was this more about testing the camera?

Walter

Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS +5 more
diness Senior Member • Posts: 2,610

In regards to the weight... the 6d weighs almost exactly the same as the d7100.  Does that camera work for you to carry around all day?  The 6d is good for me, but the weight seems to be more about lenses than it is about the body in my usage.  I like that the 6d is lighter than the 5d mkIII, but the 24-105 that I have on it is what makes it heavy, not really the body itself (and most consider that lens pretty light and small actually...)

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2

This is only a test photo, it has no importance for me, that's why I did not really bother to find the right position to take it and to include the top of the tower. I wanted only to test both cameras. That's all. The 5D2 turned out much worse in this regard, but still it had his other advantages over the D7100.

What I don't want to do in this thread: to start a discussion about Canon and Nikon. I had already enough off topic answers.

Walter wrote:

I have had both... 6D is great as was the 5D11 in its time. It is so easy to get bogged down on which tool for the job. I became more interested when you showed the whole photograph. Curious on your camera position and why you didn't include the top of the tower or was this more about testing the camera?

Walter

You are right, with the D7100 also the lenses are smaller.

I have the 24-105L too, and many years ago I used it extensively on my 400D. May be the difference between 5D2 and 6D will be not that huge regarding the weight, especially if you consider also the lenses. I don't plan to use f2.8 zooms for traveling, either I shoot with f4 zoom or with fixed focal length lenses.

diness wrote:

In regards to the weight... the 6d weighs almost exactly the same as the d7100. Does that camera work for you to carry around all day? The 6d is good for me, but the weight seems to be more about lenses than it is about the body in my usage. I like that the 6d is lighter than the 5d mkIII, but the 24-105 that I have on it is what makes it heavy, not really the body itself (and most consider that lens pretty light and small actually...)

Thank you for your feedback.

Indeed if I shot in bright sunshine with an f1.4 lens, I use ND filter to overcome this problem with the "limited" shutter speed.

qianp2k wrote:

A good idea. 5D2 is only better having 1/8000 sec shutter compared to 1/4000 in 6D but hardly you'd need it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads