Older 430 EX (not 430 EX II) with 6D

Started Mar 15, 2014 | Discussions
Bobfm Regular Member • Posts: 130
Older 430 EX (not 430 EX II) with 6D

I recently purchased a Canon 6D.  I also own a Canon 430 EX (not 430 EX II) Speed Lite flash.  Will the EX work on the 6D, or should I purchase a new 430 EX II?

Thank you for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Bobfm's gear list:Bobfm's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +4 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
msowsun
msowsun Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: Older 430 EX (not 430 EX II) with 6D

The 430EX will work just fine withe your 6D. It is an older flash designed before they started putting the fancy flash menu in the camera. Some of the basic settings will be available on the 6D but others will be "Grayed" out and you will need to set them on the flash itself.

msowsun's gear list:msowsun's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +19 more
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
Re: Older 430 EX (not 430 EX II) with 6D

msowsun is correct. I have several flashes - one of which is an ancient 420EX (not II)! And it functions just fine.

The functions that don't exist are merely not selectable items - and that old flash has very little in the way of settings! But, the camera completely recognizes it and it works just fine.

Sometimes it's nice to have a smaller flash. So save your money and consider what you're going to want moving forward. You certainly aren't handicapped with your flash - it's a very good speedlite.

Enjoy your camera, it's amazing!

-- hide signature --

"I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning." Andy Warhol

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads