Exchange or Return Light Leak Affected XT-1 ?

Started Mar 15, 2014 | Discussions
jomarie Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Exchange or Return Light Leak Affected XT-1 ?

My XT-1 has the light leak (tested it) and serial # falls within the affected range.  I still have 30 days to return the camera to Crutchfield (they have a 60 day return policy).  All else is fine and I love it, it works great and the light leak wouldn't really impact me for how I use the XT-1.  However, I am worried about down the road and if I want to sell it to upgrade and the resale value.  If I don't exchange it - I will definitely still have it repaired but if I can return it for a camera that isn't affected, should I?  Once repaired would it still lose some value?  I know to me if I was purchasing it used and all else was good and the leak was repaired, I wouldn't care but I'm afraid some might.  I am leaning to just having it repaired since I will be keeping it for a long while but hope I don't regret it someday.

Should I just return it?

jomarie's gear list:jomarie's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III
WT Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,495
Re: Exchange or Return Light Leak Affected XT-1 ?

I am going to send mine in for repair. Seems like an easy fix.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Trevor Kloeden Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

I've had mine fixed and it was an easy fix.

A re-installation of the light seal.

All good here now. No dust or light leaks....

Trevor Kloeden's gear list:Trevor Kloeden's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus Tough TG-4 +9 more
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,631

It seems to me to be a clear choice - there is no downside to returning it except the inconvenience of going to the store. There is a downside to keeping it as you mentioned.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Peter Sills Senior Member • Posts: 2,291

Its ts a camera, not a Mutual Fund or some other type of investment.

it is easily fixed.  Who is to say a new one won't have another issue, such as dust or a bad pixel.  Just get it repaired and keep the invoice in case you decide to sell in the future.  Mine is in the affected range, but no sign of problems at all.

Got lucky I guess.

-- hide signature --

Peter Sills
Digital Focus
www.digitalfocus.net
www.focusstudios.com

Peter Sills's gear list:Peter Sills's gear list
Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 10,479

When Fuji France will be ready ( .........................) I'll send mine, t,his is most important if you want to sell it one day.

BTW I trie dthe black tape does not work becaus ethe leak comes from the holes of 3 connectors INSIDE not the surrounding outside

I also tried openingthe door in normal ambient light and the sensor does catch any source of light in cluding a small bed light*

So a necesary fix

As usual Fuji has been ery reactive unlike some others ....................

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 1,981

I'd return it for a new copy.  I returned my early production xt1 for a new one and found the later build was a better assembled/manuafactured camera.  I've read 2 other posts that indicate the same.  The buttons have a more tactile feel, straighter seams and tighter fit, more solid doors, Face Detection and Focus Peaking were way better -- at the same settings, same model, same environment, yes I know how to use them.

Unfortunately, the lock on the iso dial was still there and the EV dial will still take skin off my thumb -- it now has a short piece of a bicycle inner tube surrounding it.

94 Senior Member • Posts: 1,074

If you return it and receive an "exempt" serial number as is likely you'll have no question to answer should you decide to sell it, say, in eBay.

You could point out and prove an exempt camera, but with a repaired camera there will be a segment of the potential buyers who will not trust either your say-so or the documentation or effectiveness of a repair. Hence there will be less interest and fewer bidders. Unless your price is invitingly low who is going to buy the question when for the same money they can find a camera without the issue?

I'm sure that fuji will effect a complete resolution of the problem for those without the choice you have, but for you in the described circumstance I think your choice is clear - send back the one you have while you can do so.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,626
Exchange

jomarie wrote:

My XT-1 has the light leak (tested it) and serial # falls within the affected range. I still have 30 days to return the camera to Crutchfield (they have a 60 day return policy). All else is fine and I love it, it works great and the light leak wouldn't really impact me for how I use the XT-1. However, I am worried about down the road and if I want to sell it to upgrade and the resale value. If I don't exchange it - I will definitely still have it repaired but if I can return it for a camera that isn't affected, should I? Once repaired would it still lose some value? I know to me if I was purchasing it used and all else was good and the leak was repaired, I wouldn't care but I'm afraid some might. I am leaning to just having it repaired since I will be keeping it for a long while but hope I don't regret it someday.

Should I just return it?

I don't live near a Fuji Service Center and would hate the extra downtime due to shipping.

So I elected to do an exchange with Amazon.  The replacement arrives before I ship the old one back.

Hopefully the new unit has a higher serial number and doesn't exhibit the problem when I test it.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +51 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,155
Exchange

You should exchange and get a new one that has a newer serial # which would not only resolve the issue but also make it less hassle to sell later. Even if you've had it serviced some people will shy away from used X-T1s that fall within the range of serial #s that might need the fix.

edit:   just noticed that 94 already made the point regarding the benefits of having the newer serial #.

ballwin12 Regular Member • Posts: 313
return and wait

jomarie wrote:

My XT-1 has the light leak (tested it) and serial # falls within the affected range. I still have 30 days to return the camera to Crutchfield (they have a 60 day return policy). All else is fine and I love it, it works great and the light leak wouldn't really impact me for how I use the XT-1. However, I am worried about down the road and if I want to sell it to upgrade and the resale value. If I don't exchange it - I will definitely still have it repaired but if I can return it for a camera that isn't affected, should I? Once repaired would it still lose some value? I know to me if I was purchasing it used and all else was good and the leak was repaired, I wouldn't care but I'm afraid some might. I am leaning to just having it repaired since I will be keeping it for a long while but hope I don't regret it someday.

Should I just return it?

Your serial # is in affected range so its resale value would be low if you ever need to sell it later.

So if I was you, I return it, and wait couple more months to buy another one which has serial# out of the range.

ballwin12's gear list:ballwin12's gear list
Leica X (Typ 113) Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,113

I'd return it for a new copy.  I returned my early production xt1 for a new one and found the later build was a better assembled/manuafactured camera.  I've read 2 other posts that indicate the same.  The buttons have a more tactile feel, straighter seams and tighter fit, more solid doors, Face Detection and Focus Peaking were way better -- at the same settings, same model, same environment, yes I know how to use them.

Unfortunately, the lock on the iso dial was still there and the EV dial will still take skin off my thumb -- it now has a short piece of a bicycle inner tube surrounding it.

Same thoughts here. If it can be returned for a new one, I'd do that anytime.

Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,805
Replacement - no wait

I've never done this before, but it looks like Amazon (where I got my XT1) has a replacement policy whereby they send you an identical replacement item and you have 30 days to ship the defective item back to them.  Even though I doubt I will ever run into the light leak problem with the kinds of photography I do, I do want what  paid for - a new camera free of manufacturing defects - and II don't think that is being an unreasonable, super-picky consumer.

I also don't want to be without the camera for weeks while the pony express mail service around here ships the camera for repair, it gets repaired along with probably thousands of other TX1's in the repair queue and it eventually find its way back to me.  It appears that the Amazon replacement method will get me a new camera in a few days and then I have plenty of time to send the old one back to them, so I won't have to do without for weeks.

I'm going to try this on Monday.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Re: Replacement - no wait

Birddogman wrote:

I've never done this before, but it looks like Amazon (where I got my XT1) has a replacement policy whereby they send you an identical replacement item and you have 30 days to ship the defective item back to them. Even though I doubt I will ever run into the light leak problem with the kinds of photography I do, I do want what paid for - a new camera free of manufacturing defects - and II don't think that is being an unreasonable, super-picky consumer.

I also don't want to be without the camera for weeks while the pony express mail service around here ships the camera for repair, it gets repaired along with probably thousands of other TX1's in the repair queue and it eventually find its way back to me. It appears that the Amazon replacement method will get me a new camera in a few days and then I have plenty of time to send the old one back to them, so I won't have to do without for weeks.

I'm going to try this on Monday.

FWIW, I put in a request for a replacement via the Amazon website 7 hours ago. Just got notified that my replacement camera should arrive on Monday. That gives me about three weeks to return the defective camera via prepaid shipping label back to Amazon.

Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +51 more
OP jomarie Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Thank you all for your input

Probably will just return it.  Either  having to get it repaired or exchanging it is a hassle.  I know it  is not a mutual fund, but being able to sell a camera at a decent price and not too much of a loss enables me upgrade when I wish to.  I'm happy that Fuji is standing behind their product and  feel in a way I should support them by not returning the camera and just get it repaired.

jomarie's gear list:jomarie's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III
TravelLight Regular Member • Posts: 290

Even though I just got my X-T1 Friday, for some reason I still got a unit with the affected serial number (with all the "temporarily out of stock" notice on Amazon lately, you'd think they have exhausted the early productions?). The light leak is huge so even though I liked everything else about it, I asked Amazon for a replacement. The agent said that they are "working on it", but so far I haven't received a reply. I also emailed them the "border serial number" and specifically asked them to send me a unit with a higher serial number, but he said that there is no way to do that. So it's 50-50 whether we will actually get a newer model, or just another earlier model circling around in their fulfillment center. Keep us posted when you get yours!

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

FWIW, I put in a request for a replacement via the Amazon website 7 hours ago. Just got notified that my replacement camera should arrive on Monday. That gives me about three weeks to return the defective camera via prepaid shipping label back to Amazon.

Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,783

If you were Fuji, would you want everyone of the 4000 owners to return a product that has an easy fix? Why would a fixed one be worth any less than an unaffected one?

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more

I can see you point, but like the people above, I have vacation coming up and since I sold all my m43 stuff to fund X-T1, I don't have a back up camera. If even half of the 4000 owners decide to send theirs in for repair, I might not be able to get it back in time. Fuji's quick response has definitely strengthened customer loyalty (which will eventually translate to better bottom line), but they should also be accountable for the QC issue too.

Red G8R wrote:

If you were Fuji, would you want everyone of the 4000 owners to return a product that has an easy fix? Why would a fixed one be worth any less than an unaffected one?

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

TravelLight wrote:

Even though I just got my X-T1 Friday, for some reason I still got a unit with the affected serial number (with all the "temporarily out of stock" notice on Amazon lately, you'd think they have exhausted the early productions?). The light leak is huge so even though I liked everything else about it, I asked Amazon for a replacement. The agent said that they are "working on it", but so far I haven't received a reply. I also emailed them the "border serial number" and specifically asked them to send me a unit with a higher serial number, but he said that there is no way to do that. So it's 50-50 whether we will actually get a newer model, or just another earlier model circling around in their fulfillment center. Keep us posted when you get yours!

Bummer the camera you just got has an affected serial number and the problem.

Knowing my luck, my replacement will also have the same problem.  *sigh*

Did you request a replacement via the automated system or did you contact Amazon customer support directly?

I called their help line and talked to a CS person. He assured me that they would definitely replace it, but there is no way for them to get a replacement by serial number. I followed up with an email with the border number but haven't heard back. I wish you good luck (and please come back to report)

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Bummer the camera you just got has an affected serial number and the problem.

Knowing my luck, my replacement will also have the same problem. *sigh*

Did you request a replacement via the automated system or did you contact Amazon customer support directly?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads