Coolpix 5700 workhorse with issues

Started Mar 14, 2014 | User reviews
Daddyoh New Member • Posts: 1
Coolpix 5700 workhorse with issues

This camera has been a great little go-to system for the last 10,000 photos.  5mp and great optics, easy to use with lots of flexibilities.  It takes movies and continuous pictures.  It's light. I'm glad I own it.

The problems are:

The photos in automatic mode look consistently great, but after every shot the trashcan is displayed.  It essentially takes as long to take a 640x480 VGA as a RAW or uncompressed TIFF.  I've missed many many good shots because of this.  The trashcan shot confirmation is asking if I want to keep the photo.  Well, I don't have a 16mb card, I have a 2000mb card and I'll decide that when I get home - GIVE ME BACK CONTROL OF MY CAMERA!

When the camera is set up in one of the user-defined modes the quality is just not as good as automatic.  Yes, in select highly controlled situations like indoor portraits, macro shots of flowers or landscapes in certain light the user settings work like you want.  But break away from those narrow definitions and the quality falls apart.  BUT The trashcan can be turned off! And that makes it a tough decision whether to use Auto or User.

The other thing is, when I want to use that full 5 Megapixel sensor, even with JPGs it takes, like 7 seconds for the image to write to the card.  Talk about missing shots!

Nikon Coolpix 5700
5 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 35 – 280 mm (8×)
Announced: May 29, 2002
Daddyoh's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great