JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +16 more
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,376
Re: For the 20-40 ED Limited lovers, a good review

JL Salvignol wrote:

http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/TEST-Pentax-20-40-mm-f-2-8-4-ED,9178.html

In french

-- hide signature --

Yes, but how do you go about reading it without buying the magazine?

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +17 more
AlainCo Regular Member • Posts: 224

Merci pour ce lien JLS (la dernière édition de LMDLP n'est pas encore arrivée ici).

Si j'ai bien lu, JMS aime, aux réserves habituelles près: ouverture glissante (et limitée), aberrations chromatiques et netteté périphérique...

Bonne journée

AlainCo

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

AlainCo's gear list:AlainCo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 +14 more
hanhait Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

On the bottom of the page you can click through to the other (next) pages of the review.

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +9 more
JL Salvignol
OP JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,700

Alain, Users in this forum, DxOMark and reviewers converge completely about this zoom

Rare event that should deter useless controversies - or exacerbate them, who knows?

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +16 more
Gazeomon
Gazeomon Contributing Member • Posts: 552

JL Salvignol wrote:

http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/TEST-Pentax-20-40-mm-f-2-8-4-ED,9178.html

In french

It's a lemon, right?

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Samsung NX500 Leica CL Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +10 more
AlainCo Regular Member • Posts: 224

JLS,

I'm not sure about that convergence. My take is rather that those who bought it, like it, and those who reviewed it, didn't.

But then again maybe we didn't read the same sites/comments.

Cheers,

AlainCo

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

AlainCo's gear list:AlainCo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 +14 more
kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

It looks good but I would like to see real samples to prove it. The ones I seen so far suggest that border sharpness is somewhat low at all focal lengths and aperatures. I have rediscovered my 18-55 after adjusting the focus ( after two years of cursing the lens I tried Another setting and my fabolus K5 remebers ) Cheers

-- hide signature --

kriztian

citrontokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 812

AlainCo wrote:

JLS,

I'm not sure about that convergence. My take is rather that those who bought it, like it, and those who reviewed it, didn't.

But then again maybe we didn't read the same sites/comments.

Cheers,

AlainCo

I'd say your take is pretty much spot on.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,909

Mine is in service. Decided not to take it back. I can't get any good results from 20 till 28 mm.

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
konanon
konanon Junior Member • Posts: 27

I'm very happy with mine. I couldn't care less about corner sharpness. That said, compared to previous lenses I've owned, corner sharpness for this lens is equal or better.

I also had the DA* 16-50 for a while and the proof was in the pudding. My 20-40 was sharper than the 16-50. Wide open (especially wide open - the 16-50 was awful) or stopped down. I also found that the DC motor was as quick, if not quicker than the SDM. I'm going on hands-on experience here. Did I have a lower quality 16-50? Perhaps.

Yes, it's not a cheap lens, the zoom range is not great, it doesn't have constant aperture but it meets my needs. It's light and weather resistant. The build quality is good (although there is a very slight wobble on the zoom head when fully extended) and the image quality is excellent. It's my outside/travel lens. I plan on acquiring the Sigma 30 f/1.4 for my "inside" low light needs and the 15 f/4 limited for my wide angle needs (unless a WR limited wide angle zoom is announced in the next few months).

I'm no pro but for what's it's worth, it's an excellent lens.

konanon's gear list:konanon's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083

Nice read, looks like they are just taking the DXO test for their IQ review.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
PolarHki Regular Member • Posts: 339

ogl wrote:

Mine is in service. Decided not to take it back. I can't get any good results from 20 till 28 mm.

In a thread started by me, about 3 weeks ago you commented on this lens:

"The zoom with [the] sharpness of [a] prime"

(http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53159573)

Did you change your opinion?

ogl

No. But...

It's sad...but I've changed 20-40 to FA31. I can't get any predictable results from 20-28(29) mm focal range. 30-40 mm is excellent. Very good.
It seems to me my copy is decentering, but the service center says that everything is very good.
But...I had sharp right corner at 20 mm and very soft left corner and so-so center. I never had such results with my lenses for 34 year of my photo life.
I've tried to tweak AF, used MF, LV - no any predictable results.

Sometimes, I've got good photos at 20-29 mm, but rather often - no good. It made me crazy. I can't understand why there is so high scatter of results...

Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
PolarHki Regular Member • Posts: 339

Isn't the lens a double tube design where the inner tube extends most at 20 mm?

(It looks like that on the images here, at least:

http://www.lenstip.com/396.2-Lens_review-Pentax_HD_DA_20-40_mm_f_2.8-4.0_ED_Limited_DC_WR_Pictures_and_parameters.html )

So if the inner tube is misaligned, it would make sense that the lens gives poor results at the wide end (inner tube most extended), but good results at the far end (inner tube most inside).

Of course, with a lens at this price level, one should believe that quality control or at latest the service center would notice this and replace the lens. But unfortunately Pentax seems to be known for very wide limits of what is considered as "very good". The most famous example being the photozone review of the 18-135 that was obviously a bad sample, and Klaus sent it back twice to service, both times being told that everything was "within factory limits" or so...

ogl

I simply paid additional payment and got FA31. I don't like lottery.

PolarHki wrote:

Isn't the lens a double tube design where the inner tube extends most at 20 mm?

(It looks like that on the images here, at least:

http://www.lenstip.com/396.2-Lens_review-Pentax_HD_DA_20-40_mm_f_2.8-4.0_ED_Limited_DC_WR_Pictures_and_parameters.html )

So if the inner tube is misaligned, it would make sense that the lens gives poor results at the wide end (inner tube most extended), but good results at the far end (inner tube most inside).

Of course, with a lens at this price level, one should believe that quality control or at latest the service center would notice this and replace the lens. But unfortunately Pentax seems to be known for very wide limits of what is considered as "very good". The most famous example being the photozone review of the 18-135 that was obviously a bad sample, and Klaus sent it back twice to service, both times being told that everything was "within factory limits" or so...

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,413

Clearly one should try to shoot this lens at F5.6 to F11. Even F16 doesn't look too bad.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads