Investing in a 6D or 5D Mark III

Started Mar 13, 2014 | Discussions
Jovits New Member • Posts: 2
Investing in a 6D or 5D Mark III

Hello,

For the past 2 years I've used different DSLR's but none of them were professional. Lately , my passion for photography got stronger and started reading books, taking classes etc. I felt like it is the time for me to get an upgrade to a full frame sensor and invest a little bit more in lenses as well.. But I have some trouble deciding wether I should get a Canon 5D Mark III or 6D. Tough question right? I'm more interested in portraits, glamour/fashion photography (since I travel a lot I might use it for some street photos as well) . I'm most likely not going to take nature/sport/landscape photos.

I have around $4000  dollar to spend ( I could go a little over that) . At this moment on Amazon.com I could get the :

Canon 6D (Body only) for about $1700 US
Canon 5D Mark III (Body only) for about $3250 US

After reading a lot of different reviews and forums I'm aware of the differences between these two fine cameras. However , I still have trouble choosing.

If I get the 5D Mark III , I won't have so much money to spend on lenses. The most I could get is the kit lens which is a 24-105mm f/4.0 IS and maybe go a little over my budget and get a 85mm f/1.8 as well.

If I get the 6D, I would be able to get a 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM (around $2000) and also I could get the 85. f/1.8 as well.
My question is , should I get the 5D Mark III with that kit lens  and wait until I have some extra money to get other lenses or get the cheaper 6D and get my first professional lens right away?

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with other brands lenses (such as Tamron or Sigma) and not sure if I should consider these, but the price looks really good on them. (for example the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 is only around a $1000)

The reason I keep talking about the 24-70 because I would use it as my main lens . I now there are other lenses for portraits and I will get them in time, but I need a start now.

If Canon follows the pattern they should come out with Mark IV around the end of next year. I was thinking maybe I could get the 6D now with the pro lens and by the time Mark IV comes out I'll have more lenses and money already, so I can sell the 6D and get the Mark IV ( which I assume would be a no doubt better camera then these two I'm talking about right now)

The only thing I personally miss from 6D is the advanced AF system, which I think would come really handy in portraits.

I hope you guys could follow my thoughts and I really appreciate any advice/help you can give!
Cheers!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,006
Re: Investing in a 6D or 5D Mark III

Jovits wrote:

Hello,

For the past 2 years I've used different DSLR's but none of them were professional. Lately , my passion for photography got stronger and started reading books, taking classes etc. I felt like it is the time for me to get an upgrade to a full frame sensor and invest a little bit more in lenses as well.. But I have some trouble deciding wether I should get a Canon 5D Mark III or 6D. Tough question right? I'm more interested in portraits, glamour/fashion photography (since I travel a lot I might use it for some street photos as well) . I'm most likely not going to take nature/sport/landscape photos.

From your uses the 6D should be a great choice, the 5D3 is excellent but it really shows the differences in AF performance and video use.  If you are not so into that stuff the 6D should suffice.

I have around $4000 dollar to spend ( I could go a little over that) . At this moment on Amazon.com I could get the :

Canon 6D (Body only) for about $1700 US
Canon 5D Mark III (Body only) for about $3250 US

After reading a lot of different reviews and forums I'm aware of the differences between these two fine cameras. However , I still have trouble choosing.

If I get the 5D Mark III , I won't have so much money to spend on lenses. The most I could get is the kit lens which is a 24-105mm f/4.0 IS and maybe go a little over my budget and get a 85mm f/1.8 as well.

The 24-105 f4 is a very good lens for general purpose use.  I like it a lot for travel.  For portraits though I like primes and my 70-200 f4.  Primes are a lot of fun, so consider if you want to spend your money on a great zoom or a higher end prime lens.

If I get the 6D, I would be able to get a 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM (around $2000) and also I could get the 85. f/1.8 as well.
My question is , should I get the 5D Mark III with that kit lens and wait until I have some extra money to get other lenses or get the cheaper 6D and get my first professional lens right away?

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with other brands lenses (such as Tamron or Sigma) and not sure if I should consider these, but the price looks really good on them. (for example the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 is only around a $1000)

The Tamron f2.8 VC 24-70 is a good lens, falls shy of the image quality of the Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, but it has VC, so that's more of a trade off to me, and it's certainly cheaper.  The Sigma is an older lens design from them and isn't very good at f2.8.  I anxiously anticipate a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 OS Art lens.

Keep in mind that a "professional lens" is a lens used to make money and can be any lens.  I know of quite a few pro's that use the 85 f1.8.  The 85 f1.2L and Sigma 85 f1.4 are "better" but bang for your buck it's tough to beat the f1.8.

The reason I keep talking about the 24-70 because I would use it as my main lens . I now there are other lenses for portraits and I will get them in time, but I need a start now.

It's a tough choice to make, aperture+expensive vs larger range+cheaper.  I went with the 24-105 mainly because it's a little bit wider and longer than the 17-50 f2.8 OS I used (happily) on crop.  I found the range to be a bit too limiting on the tele end on crop, but like the constant aperture.  With the thinner DOF and better noise performance of 35mm format 5D3 I get quite similar images from the 24-105.

If you feel like your approach is to get specialty lenses for specific purposes as time goes on the 24-105 might be a good choice.  The 24-70 is excellent and expensive, you should buy it to use it a lot of the time.  There are quite a few happy folks who use the 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses for just about everything.  The counter argument is if you plan to buy primes that cover the same range it might be a bit redundant...then the cheaper 24-105 f4 with the greater zoom range might be more useful as the goto 1 lens only solution for trips.

If Canon follows the pattern they should come out with Mark IV around the end of next year. I was thinking maybe I could get the 6D now with the pro lens and by the time Mark IV comes out I'll have more lenses and money already, so I can sell the 6D and get the Mark IV ( which I assume would be a no doubt better camera then these two I'm talking about right now)

Maybe, I don't usually plan my current purchases around their impending "obsolescence".  The 5D3 is better than the 5D2, but the 5D2 is still a very respectable camera for many uses.  The mk 4 will likely have more pixels and better DR, not sure by how much.  The AF of the mk 3 is fantastic, the image quality is impressive, there will be improvements but it's most likely not going to be night and day unless you are an obsessive personality.

The only thing I personally miss from 6D is the advanced AF system, which I think would come really handy in portraits.

Maybe, portraits don't typically demand a super advanced AF system unless you are taking portraits of active kids, which I call sports.  Focus and recompose usually works well in a portrait situation unless you are shooting super fast primes wide open like a f1.2 or f1.4 lens.  The center AF point of the 6D is actually slightly better than that of the 5D3, it's just that the 5D3 has 40 other AF points that are better than the other 10 from the 6D.  The 5D3 is a more well rounded camera, the dual card slots is handy, top notch AF, faster bursts, better video, etc....but the price tag can be heavy for a lot of people.  A better lens or some lighting gear would likely improve your portraits more than the differences between the 6D and the 5D3.  Now for sports, for-gettabout-it.

I hope you guys could follow my thoughts and I really appreciate any advice/help you can give!
Cheers!

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
stratobill Senior Member • Posts: 1,874

I spent about the same amount you did and got the 6D, 24-105L, 70-300L and 16-35L. (Some were second hand). That's a lot compared to the 5DIII and kit lens!

I am very happy with the rig, and don't really need the features in the 5DIII for my type of shooting. It doesn't sound like you do either frankly. I might have gone with the 5DIII if I had another $2K to spend on lenses, although I prefer the smaller form for traveling anyway.

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Senior Member • Posts: 2,164

I have the 5D Mk III and it's an excellent camera. I graduated from the Mk I and Mk II, and the 6D wasn't around when I got it. But if I was in your shoes I'd go with the 6D and get some good lenses. The only respect in which the 5D III is substantially better than the 6D is the auto focus. But the auto focus on the 6D is better than the 5D II, and I've no doubt it will meet your requirements.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Dimes Regular Member • Posts: 382

First of all, it looks like you are not making money with your dslr, sorry if im mistaken. If it is true, then it is not an investment in a new camera, but an expense. In this case buy 6D. You wont need 2 slots, great AF or high shutter reliability for that extra cost. Moreover, light weight and additional lens will be more than handy for you. Its AF is still more than ok, in fact, it is better than on 5dm2, which has been used by many professionals for years.

If you do make money with photoing on a regular basis - get 5dm3.

BTW, did you try to hold those cameras in your hands? They are quite different - for me it was a deciding factor, actually)

Dimes's gear list:Dimes's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
ZiggyDeath Regular Member • Posts: 385
Don't forget to get a flash for portraits NT

No text.

ZiggyDeath's gear list:ZiggyDeath's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +12 more
MrFlash Contributing Member • Posts: 768

The 5DIII would be worth the extra bucks if you shoot a lot of fast action (i.e. sports, birds in flight, etc.) or video. Otherwise the 6D will deliver results every bit as good as the 5DIII. I would invest in  lenses instead of a more expensive body.

Considering the type of photography in which you are interested - i would recommend the following:

Start with the 6D w/24-105 kit. It's a very good deal at $2000.

Add some fast primes

35 f/2 IS - an excellent lens that is very fast and versatile, especially when traveling - $550

85 1.8 - a good lens with creamy bokeh that is pretty darn sharp from f/2  - $360

135 f/2 L - a lens of legendary quality. A portrait, fashion icon. - $1090

You can buy all of that, brand new, at B&H for $4000

If you don't have lighting equipment forgo the 35 f/2 IS for now and buy some.

-- hide signature --

MrFlash

MrFlash's gear list:MrFlash's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
abolit66 Junior Member • Posts: 44

the center AF point of 6D is not better , it's more sensitive. 5DIII has , if I'm not mistaken, 4 or 5 double cross-type points at the center area where as 6D - only one cross-type(not double).

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Jovits wrote:

The center AF point of the 6D is actually slightly better than that of the 5D3

rookie94 Regular Member • Posts: 206

I can't say enough good things about the 6d kit lens. Does it inspire me to write diatribes to FR about how it has transformed photography? No.  Do I like it a great deal?  Yes.

Every other lens may give you a bigger upside but also may expose you to some downside as you deal with the nuanced aspects of a special purpose lens. Sure, the engineer in me loves playing with the Sigma 1.4. That isn't necessarily better photography.

Landscapes at 24mm? Haven't been wanting.

Youth sports where I am reasonably close? Perfect.

Every needed a flash? Only for fill.

Portraits ranging from 85-105? My skill breaks down long before the lens does.

Blurred background? Actually lets me do more than my Sigma 50.

rookie94's gear list:rookie94's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Yellonet Senior Member • Posts: 1,253
5DIII vs 6D

If you're not sure if you need the 5DIII; you don't.

-- hide signature --

- Yellonet

mevbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,217
Re: 5DIII vs 6D

Yellonet wrote:

If you're not sure if you need the 5DIII; you don't.

-- hide signature --

- Yellonet

You will get what you pay for.  I have 2 5dIII and LOVE them.  I can't speak to the 6D though I would think it is a good choice as well,  I love the FF sensor!  5D offers better low ISO, and auto focus from the reviews I have seen.  If you can do without, you will never regret getting good glass.

mevbo's gear list:mevbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
kingslayer Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: 5DIII vs 6D

Get the 6D.  I have tried both. The 24-70ii is almost the perfect lens.

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

As an enthusiastic amateur with broad interest I think the 6d is the better fit for your needs at this time. If you need to track action, or anything faster than a jog for say >50% of all your photography or make extensive use of video, the 5d has a clear advantage. For the rest, the 6d is a fine choice and may in fact have a slight advantage as far as iq tests go.

Quite frankly, if image quality is your first concern you'll gain more with a superior lens and the less expensive body. On the other hand, the 6d makes you jump through more hoops than does the 5d, whether you need to jump, well…that for you to decide.

Last point, you know what you like to shoot but imho 24-70 is the lamest lens you can buy, and this is doubly so if you are an amateur when you have the time and flexibility to adapt to a situation. In all cases (again imho) a regular prime is going to get you more performance/cost.

It's just okay at 24, and anything from 50-70 is awkward. The 50l is solid as is the 1.8 (cheap). If you want wider the 17-40 is pretty good as are the tilt shifts. Canon has so many good lenses that make the 24-70 seem like a waste imho.

Serickmetz
Serickmetz Contributing Member • Posts: 944

I agree with everyone. Get the 6d and don't look back. You won't regret it!!

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,006

abolit66 wrote:

the center AF point of 6D is not better , it's more sensitive. 5DIII has , if I'm not mistaken, 4 or 5 double cross-type points at the center area where as 6D - only one cross-type(not double).

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Jovits wrote:

The center AF point of the 6D is actually slightly better than that of the 5D3

What you say is correct and completely irrelevant to my statement, I did not say the center group or portion of the AF area is better, I stated the the 6D's center AF point is slightly better. Anyone evaluating these two cameras in single shot, single point AF using the center points will have better results in low light with the 6D, and nearly equal results under normal to good lighting conditions. They perform very similarly except in an edge case where the 6D will out perform the 5D3, that ranks a "slightly better" qualifier to me. This seems a reasonable and perfectly valid estimation of the relative abilities of the individual center AF points of the two cameras.

I did not say that the 6D AF system is better than the 5D3's, that would be silly. If it makes you feel better, I own and operate a 5D3 and think it's fantastic. I am also not threatened in any way by the simple fact that the 6D center AF point can do things that the 5D3's center AF point cannot. Please feel free to continue a pointless semantic argument if you so desire, but I will not.

Here is an article laying out the 5D3 AF module, interesting but has no relevance in a direct comparison of the single center AF point only. Thus a focus/recompose shooter using only the center AF point will likely not care about the performance of the other 60 AF points from the 5D3. This isn't how I shoot, but it is how a lot of people shoot.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/1dx_af_precision_crosstype_article.shtml

5 center most AF points are high precision cross type

21 are cross type at f5.6

41 total cross type at f4

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
clarkent1234 Forum Member • Posts: 85

I agree with everyone. Get the 6d and don't look back. You won't regret it!!

Forget what everyone says and what u think u should do. Which do u really really want? If u settle for anything other than that, you'll never truly be happy.

Or maybe u arnt like me and most people.

4grand is a lot. Go used! U can pick up a 5dmk3 for $2200, Tammy 24-70vc for 750, sigma 85 for 600-800. Sigma 35 for 600-800, canon 85 for $275-350.

Or go m42 manual focus for some primes. Way cheap! Helios 58 f2 for 10-30bucks. Super takumar lenses are mostly all as good as anything currently available. Cheeeeap

Thomas Streng Senior Member • Posts: 2,748

If you dont shoot a lot of sports I would go with the 6d and the 24-70/2.8II.

I say this as a owner of the 5dIII (6d was not available when I bought).

I do like and use the various AF points of 5dIII and I also like the joystick to select them. But the price difference and the size difference would be more important if I had to decide today.

I find the 6d better in regards to size, and much better in regards to price.

The 24-70/2.8II is the best midrange zoom I have ever used.

Its a bit on the heavy side though.

The 24-105 is a good lens, but the 24-70/2.8II is really exceptionally good for a zoom.

However my favorite walkaround lens is the Sigma 35/1.4 ART.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,307

A 35mm image sensor doesn't make you more "professional" or more advanced.  Great photos are taken with phones, $100 P&S cameras, m4/3, and aps-c.  It's more who is behind the camera than the camera itself.

And a camera, unless you intend to use it for business, is not an investment because it will greatly depreciate in value while you are using it.  The $8000 1Ds3 would be lucky to get $2500 for it these days.

l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,993

Thomas Streng wrote:
The 24-105 is a good lens, but the 24-70/2.8II is really exceptionally good for a zoom.

I'd be inclined to get the 6d with the kit lens (24-105mm f4 IS). The bundle at about $2000 is compelling. Also, it's really useful to have IS with the 24-105mm.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
Abu Mahendra Senior Member • Posts: 4,717

6D and
● 135L
● 35IS
● 70-200 F4 IS L

Abu Mahendra's gear list:Abu Mahendra's gear list
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads