FE 24-70 QC

Started Mar 13, 2014 | Discussions
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,639
You'd think they were made in Germany!

I can remember so many VWs and Audis that were nightmares in the 70's and 80's. And yet somehow, "legendary German engineering" still remained as a towering reputation. Bosch components that failed in the first week, head gaskets blowing, ac compressors dying - these lenses bear the German Zeiss name, but they're not made in Germany.

Sorry, it's just ironic to me.

FWIW - the fit and finish of these two primes is a step above the rest! No play, no problems.

And that reminds me, can anyone think of a legendary Zeiss zoom? Maybe the old Contax 35-70?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
NomadMark
NomadMark Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Re: FE 24-70 QC

Dennishh wrote:

Hey Mark, I'm not seeing any movement in the barrel of the lens at all. Overall performance with this new copy is stunning the edges at 24mm are not garbage but just slightly less sharp than the rest of the image.

I don't suppose you have something you can post in full resolution (taken at 24mm) I can use to judge? I would be really appreciative!

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +12 more
Dennishh Contributing Member • Posts: 549

Only have some test images, just got the lens this afternoon. I will shoot of couple more tomorrow and post them for you.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
NomadMark

Dennishh wrote:

Only have some test images, just got the lens this afternoon. I will shoot of couple more tomorrow and post them for you.

Good stuff

Perhaps I'm spoiled by my 24-105. After taking a few images from each to compare, I find there is a measurable difference at 24 in the corners. But that's all I have checked as that is all people are really complaining about! lol

Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +12 more
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
NomadMark

Lots of comparing to Nikon lenses. None to Canon

Looking at other shots on Flickr, and numerous other reviews it looks like mine is in line. Perhaps I am harsh to originally say rubbish corners. Just slightly soft. Where as my Canon 24-105 is slightly sharper, but still, not near prime levels of course.

Fredy Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812
I have had mine two weeks now.

I find the edges distorted at even 70mm and have to either straighten in photoshop or crop but the images I think are very pleasing. Here is one example where I had to straighten the building on the right. Anybody know why this happens?

-- hide signature --

fredyr

PaulR Contributing Member • Posts: 637

I'm going to order mine in April for a May trip. My 28-70 kit lens is better by far than some of the 24-70 samples I've seen. I never suspected Sony of bad copies all through the 16-50PZ discussions, but clearly there are with the lens.

I can't comment on the QC problems since I was one of the lucky ones that got a great 24-70 on my first go around.  But I can tell you that I did buy a 28-70 off of eBay just for yucks.  When you test the 28-70 alone it looks like a good lens on the A7R.  In stand alone pictures it looks like it has good sharpness and no decentering or other obvious problems.  But OMG when you compare it directly to a good copy of the 24-70mm the differences are night and day.  My 24-70 is clearly sharper at F4 than the 28-70 is at F8 at every focal length in the center and corners.  I was actually really pretty surprised.   I only paid $265 for my 28-70 so whether the 24-70mm is worth another $900-1000 is probably a very personal decision but I feel confident saying that there is a very visible difference between a good copy of each lens.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
Andy Dan Regular Member • Posts: 160

The fact that the Canon 24-105 f4 or that the Nikon 24-120 f4 are sharper than this Zeiss is a really bad result for the Zeiss because the Canikon lenses have more focal lenght so the compromises should be theoretically stronger...

The whole thing sounds like Sony-Zeiss doesn't know how to make good zooms and that puzzles me...

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

Andy Dan wrote:

The fact that the Canon 24-105 f4 or that the Nikon 24-120 f4 are sharper than this Zeiss is a really bad result for the Zeiss because the Canikon lenses have more focal lenght so the compromises should be theoretically stronger...

The whole thing sounds like Sony-Zeiss doesn't know how to make good zooms and that puzzles me...

Zeiss makes no zooms or lenses with OSS under its own brand name. I'm not sure Sony actually makes any lenses at all, but rather contracts them out to firms in Japan that do it for them.

There are many compromises in lens design. Sony feels obligated I think to make ones that keep the lenses proportional to their camera bodies. Nikon and Canon would need to make no such compromises. The Canon 24-70 f2.8 has an 82mm front element and weighs 2 lbs. And costs nearly twice as muhc. That's a big penalty for a single f-stop in speed Sony hasn't chosen to make

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

PaulR wrote:

I'm going to order mine in April for a May trip. My 28-70 kit lens is better by far than some of the 24-70 samples I've seen. I never suspected Sony of bad copies all through the 16-50PZ discussions, but clearly there are with the lens.

I can't comment on the QC problems since I was one of the lucky ones that got a great 24-70 on my first go around. But I can tell you that I did buy a 28-70 off of eBay just for yucks. When you test the 28-70 alone it looks like a good lens on the A7R. In stand alone pictures it looks like it has good sharpness and no decentering or other obvious problems. But OMG when you compare it directly to a good copy of the 24-70mm the differences are night and day. My 24-70 is clearly sharper at F4 than the 28-70 is at F8 at every focal length in the center and corners. I was actually really pretty surprised. I only paid $265 for my 28-70 so whether the 24-70mm is worth another $900-1000 is probably a very personal decision but I feel confident saying that there is a very visible difference between a good copy of each lens.

I'm sure you're right - a good copy of the 24-70 should beat a good copy of the 28-70, especially on an A7r. I don't think Sony intended the kit lens to be used on that superb sensor. And there's no question that a good 24-70 would kick the pants off a poor 28-70.

I bought the A7/lens/strobe kit and already sold the strobe for 3x what I paid for it. I planned to sell the kit lens for whatever I could get and buy the 24-70. Then I saw the images - not just those posted here, but ones privately emailed to me by forum members embarrassed to post them, or unwilling to suffer slings from critics here. That's when I held my purchase.

Your results comparing the kit and your experience with your 24-70 (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53290738) are why I still plan to get a 24-70 for my lowly A7. It's a very convenient range, and with the A7, I feel good at shooting at ISO 1600-2000 where I might have felt reluctant to go above ISO 400 with my NEX-6. I have four excellent, faster primes that cover that range, one of which - a 17mm - will likely be my go-to lens for cathedral interiors and landscapes. My 35mm is almost welded to my A7 - I like to get closer with that focal length; my 50mm is as good as you can get, yet somehow gets rarely used. My 90mm is razor sharp at f2.8-f4, but other than people shots, isn't heavily used. I finally found an affordable like-new actual Leica Series 7 polarizing filter that fits a lens shade that will fit on my 35, 50 and 90mm, so that may transform my perspective toward the 24-70 (although I inexplicably have a 62mm Moose filter I plan to use on the 24-70).

I am self employed and don't have a lot of daylight time to test and return lenses. So I'm waiting. I understand B&H expects a new shipment soon...

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Hank Photo Regular Member • Posts: 151
Returned my copy and waiting a month to try another

I returned my copy of the lens.  Like others, I am going to wait a month and try another copy.

-- hide signature --

Hank K
Nikon Df, Sony A7r, Nikon D600, Nikon Coolpix A, (and on the shelf Samsung NX20 kit waiting for NX30)

Hank Photo's gear list:Hank Photo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX10 III Nikon Df Samsung NX500 Leica Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6

NomadMark wrote:

Lots of comparing to Nikon lenses. None to Canon

Looking at other shots on Flickr, and numerous other reviews it looks like mine is in line. Perhaps I am harsh to originally say rubbish corners. Just slightly soft. Where as my Canon 24-105 is slightly sharper, but still, not near prime levels of course.

Here's a few images that were shot this morning. I'm finding the 24-70 overall feel and look to be extremely appealing. The lens is definitely a zoom and not a prime like you had stated and the edge sharpness and slightly softer at the extremes than primes. The Zeiss look coupled with autofocus and OSS give it a superiority to non-OSS autofocus lenses in my opinion. The convenience of this lens is starting to grow on me and is quite appealing seeing that I don't have to carry around three or four other lenses cover this focal length. For travel and many professional uses it is ideal. I have gone back and forth about not keeping the zoom and just replacing it with a 24, 35, 50 and 85mm lenses, needless to say the reason I bought the A7r was for its size and weight so this formula completely defeats that purpose. When Sony finally comes out with a wide-angle zoom I will be able to use a two lens kit that is quite appealing to me. If I need anything longer I use the 70-200. The two close ups are at 70mm the other two are 24mm all at f5.6.

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

Really nice Dennis, great IQ and colors...

Feather in the sky from yesterday...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

PorscheDoc
PorscheDoc Forum Member • Posts: 94

stevo23 wrote:

Yes, I've seen some lens testing places complain about decentering on the Canon 24-70 f/4. I think it was Photozone.de.

Actually photozone.de reviews of almost all Sony lenses have comments about Sony's poor QC (mostly decentering issues). It seems that photozone had to try multiple copies of many A and E lenses before they got a good copy that tested well. IIRC this even applied to "Zeiss" lenses.

Thanks! Your correct about Sony QC it is poor at best. If Sony wants to play with the big boys they need to improve this fast.

PaulR Contributing Member • Posts: 637

Andy Dan wrote:

I don't think you know what you are talking about.  I don't have an adapter so I can't test my Canon 24-105 F4 against the Sony 24-70mm F4 but I did test it against the Nikon 24-120 and the Sony 24-70mm is as sharp or sharper at all focal lengths except 24mm where it is about the same and it is generally particularly strong in the corners.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
NomadMark

PaulR wrote:

Andy Dan wrote:

I don't think you know what you are talking about. I don't have an adapter so I can't test my Canon 24-105 F4 against the Sony 24-70mm F4 but I did test it against the Nikon 24-120 and the Sony 24-70mm is as sharp or sharper at all focal lengths except 24mm where it is about the same and it is generally particularly strong in the corners.

I wouldn't make the claim myself that the 24-105L is sharper all over. But at 24mm, it's a heck of a lot sharper in the corners that the 24-70 FE. Definitely more uniform in terms of sharpness.

I am hoping to have time this weekend to test the two out and compare at several focal lengths and apertures. If I do, I'll post all images.

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

it could be worse... you could have bought a canon zoom lens:

"JRW....the tally is as follows:
•Copy 1 (032): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 2 (032): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 3 (062): Had AFMA vs aperture issues at 70 mm
•Copy 4 (062): Small bubble in front element (still have this one at home, Adorama has yet to respond to two emails and a call)
•Copy 5 (042): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 6 (042): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 7 & 8: Arriving tomorrow

Batch "2" doesn't seem to be working out very well for me.

Copy 4 is actually great, except for the bubble."

"I only had to test three non clicking bubble-less lenses. Bryan went through four on his review. By the numbers you might have the winner in hand. "

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread.php?t=7491

-- hide signature --

dan

If your going to use the Canon zoom which needs an adapter and has no OSS or auto focus whats the point, why not just use manual focus primes. The real advantage of the 24-70 is ease of use and potability. The new wide angle zoom should cover the wide end also.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads