Just so we're clear. . .

Started Mar 12, 2014 | Discussions
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 17,982
Re: Just so we're clear. . .

A good rant. And certainly a valid point. Most of the trash talking is a waste of time, preaching to the choir and convincing nobody of anything.

And yet, there are gems within many threads and I've learned things from reading them. Probably not nearly enough to make it worthwhile; the signal:noise ration is as bad as a ... well, never mind

One thread I read today asked about how to interpret dxomark scores between a couple point & shoots and in it was a link to a dxomark comparison that included the Canon SX50 - a superzoom camera with a measly 1/2.3" sensor, and apparently, I've been out of touch, because I was amazed at the dxomark score for it. So I headed back to the dpreview test and looked at the raw samples and was equally amazed to see just how good it is. There's always something to learn in the midst of the frenzy.

Basically, armed with a fair understanding of equivalence, balanced with the knowledge that each system involves compromises, I feel like I could comfortably sail off into the sunset with any of a large number of different systems. And I know that each of them offers compromises that are better suited to one photographer or another. I shoot what I shoot for reasons that won't matter to many other people, and wouldn't make a recommendation to someone without knowing a lot about how they shoot.

Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: Just so we're clear. . .
1

Glen Barrington wrote:

I don't give a rip what sort of camera you use. If you've bought a camera that works for you, Great! Post your photos where we can see them.

If you've bought a camera because someone did some 'trash talking' on a different camera you liked. . . Well, keep your photos. Anyone who could be swayed by the nonsense spouted in these jingoistic threads is probably every bit as bad a photographer as they are a logician.

Use the tools that work for you. If you don't know what tools work for you, just buy something and start taking pictures. The ONLY way to know that sort of thing is to take pictures and think about them.

-- hide signature --

So then ignore the threads that discuss gear (so most of this site).  This thread was even more useless than the threads you hate.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

 Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Glen Barrington
OP Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,358
Re: Just so we're clear. . .

You are too new! At the beginning of the 4/3 system, about 7 - 9 years ago. There was considerable animosity between the Canon 'guys' and the Olympus 'guys'. Trust me, there was no shortage of hubris served with extra amounts of smug. I regret to say, I fell prey to that foolishness.

I suspect many of those who have reacted most negatively to my post, will eventually agree with it!

-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,831
A to B
1

I think the point is, that some who are happy because they have found their ultimate compromise, are then convinced that everybody else who have found a different compromise must have been mislead, stupid or incapacitated, and must be set right, whether they wish to be or not.

The thing is, we don't really care, because from the choices others have made, we know they are mislead, stupid or incapacitated.

That's pretty straightforward, isn't it? Not???

 Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Glen Barrington
OP Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,358
n/t Please don't think I was aiming anything at you. . .
1
-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
jackdan Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Re: A to B

Klaus dk wrote:

I think the point is, that some who are happy because they have found their ultimate compromise, are then convinced that everybody else who have found a different compromise must have been mislead, stupid or incapacitated, and must be set right, whether they wish to be or not.

The thing is, we don't really care, because from the choices others have made, we know they are mislead, stupid or incapacitated.

That's pretty straightforward, isn't it? Not???

I was thinking that was a good analysis until I saw your choice was Canon, so obviously I can't take what you say seriously.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,093
Another pic....
7

A pic of my daughter.  We were out by a river doing an afternoon of photography.  She used her Canon 10D and her Holga.  I had the 4x5 rig and the Nikon D800 in tow.  We spent the evening developing our film together.  She will be making some 16x20 digital negs and I will be teaching her how to do her first Gum Bichromate print from shots from her 10D...and the Holga from her scans.  I like this shot of her as she kind of has that typical "not another pic of me Dad" look.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
Glen Barrington
OP Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,358
Re: Another pic....
2

Our children never really understand just how perfect they are!

-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,093
Re: Another pic....

Glen Barrington wrote:

Our children never really understand just how perfect they are!

-- hide signature --

Yep!

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: Another pic....

Dave Luttmann wrote:

A pic of my daughter. We were out by a river doing an afternoon of photography. She used her Canon 10D and her Holga. I had the 4x5 rig and the Nikon D800 in tow. We spent the evening developing our film together. She will be making some 16x20 digital negs and I will be teaching her how to do her first Gum Bichromate print from shots from her 10D...and the Holga from her scans. I like this shot of her as she kind of has that typical "not another pic of me Dad" look.

My daughter is only 5 months. I can't wait till I can take her out shooting!

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

 Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,093
Re: Another pic....

Rservello wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

A pic of my daughter. We were out by a river doing an afternoon of photography. She used her Canon 10D and her Holga. I had the 4x5 rig and the Nikon D800 in tow. We spent the evening developing our film together. She will be making some 16x20 digital negs and I will be teaching her how to do her first Gum Bichromate print from shots from her 10D...and the Holga from her scans. I like this shot of her as she kind of has that typical "not another pic of me Dad" look.

My daughter is only 5 months. I can't wait till I can take her out shooting!

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Mine is just about 16.....and it seems just like yesterday that she was less than a year old.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: Another pic....

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Rservello wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

A pic of my daughter. We were out by a river doing an afternoon of photography. She used her Canon 10D and her Holga. I had the 4x5 rig and the Nikon D800 in tow. We spent the evening developing our film together. She will be making some 16x20 digital negs and I will be teaching her how to do her first Gum Bichromate print from shots from her 10D...and the Holga from her scans. I like this shot of her as she kind of has that typical "not another pic of me Dad" look.

My daughter is only 5 months. I can't wait till I can take her out shooting!

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Mine is just about 16.....and it seems just like yesterday that she was less than a year old.

Yeah I'm not trying to rush anything. Enjoying it as it goes. Cuz it goes too fast!!

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

 Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,455
Re: Another pic....
3

Lovely picture.  Tell her I still think my 10D is a great camera.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: Just so we're clear. . .

I never understand what makes people create threads recommending people stop shooting camera "x" and use what they use.  Who really cares?  Who cares what people shoot? I know what works for me, i never assume it will work for anyone else because we have different requirements and shooting styles.  People track mirrorless vs DSLR camera sales like it's their favourite sports teams.

I have a good point and shoot and a mirrorless camera and they're great when i need to travel light but when I want to do more serious work, I bring the DSLRs because ergonomically, they're much nicer to use.  My expectation is that the DSLR form factor will survive and the mirror will disappear, just like the film disappeared and was replaced by a digital sensor.  I'm not going to worry about it, I'll find the camera that suits me and I'll shoot it, often, until it dies

 sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,501
Re: Just so we're clear. . .

Glen Barrington wrote:

Use the tools that work for you. If you don't know what tools work for you, just buy something and start taking pictures. The ONLY way to know that sort of thing is to take pictures and think about them.

Made me think about the cameras I have owned. Started making a list. Some of the brands:

Kodak

Voigtlander

Zenit

Roleiflex

Mamiya

Pentax

Minolta

Canon

Olympus

Panasonic

Sony

Minox

Ricoh

Nikon

And probably a bunch I can't remember right now.

Loved every one and I still have great photos from each and every one.

Thanks for the Reminder Glen!!

RJPeter Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Just so we're clear. . .

Absolutely correct! However in this forum the gear is the thing not the purpose of the gear ie taking piccies, not forgetting the fanboi hat as well.

If there is no purpose for the gear, what is the point in discussing it ?

-- hide signature --
 RJPeter's gear list:RJPeter's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom +42 more
WhiteSwan Contributing Member • Posts: 631
Re: Just so we're clear. . .

sassenach74 wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I don't give a rip what sort of camera you use. If you've bought a camera that works for you, Great! Post your photos where we can see them.

If you've bought a camera because someone did some 'trash talking' on a different camera you liked. . . Well, keep your photos. Anyone who could be swayed by the nonsense spouted in these jingoistic threads is probably every bit as bad a photographer as they are a logician.

Use the tools that work for you. If you don't know what tools work for you, just buy something and start taking pictures. The ONLY way to know that sort of thing is to take pictures and think about them.

-- hide signature --

I don't give a rip that you don't give a rip. You sound a touch bossy.....and angry.......bizarre.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

He's an egotist, entranced by his imagined attainments.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads