* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #307 14 03 12 *

Started Mar 11, 2014 | Photos
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,041
Re: Start Me Up!

It was overcast and the sky was grey.  This was not helped by the fact that this image and the other two I took of this were overexposed considerably blowing out any subtle detail that might have been in the sky.  This image was was a case of when you have lemons, make lemonade.  I tried changing the sky colour but so far my skill set isn't up to the task.  Too many artifacts left to make it successful so I have to explore this option more.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Daughter in Mirror

A very nice image.  I really like what Lou did with his crops and the processing.  A wonderful result which for me improves the image creating a greater sense of intimacy.

Andrew

Scott Whittemore
Scott Whittemore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,329
Re: Lily Pad

I like the colors in this and the soft reflections on the water surface. I think I'd crop some off the top. I'm not bothered by the floating stem (or curled-up leaf) in the lower left, as I find that it complements the main leaf but the upper left corner seems bothersome for me. I think a tighter crop could make a stronger composition and the relatively dark, complicated upper left is expendable.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Re: Radials

Interesting juxtaposition of similar geometries with dissimilar compositions and origins. And a pleasing composition, as well.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Re: Wish I was there...

A stunning view and a very nice image. The hang glider is a nice touch. Well done!

-- hide signature --
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,970
Re: Start Me Up!

19andrew47 wrote:

Working for the first time on a Mac from my son's house. A different experience.

The image below was reworked from a crowded scene and taken at the Marshville Heritage Festival. Unfortunately I did not get enough of the car in the image after correction of the slant and lost the top of the roof. May revisit this to see if I can 'recreate' the roof. Anyway, the gentleman on the right is inserting the crank to start the car, and start it did!

Andrew

After all these years, it probably still scares the horses.

The red might be just a wee bit aggressive?  For example, the underside of the fender seems a little rosy.  My view is on an un-calibrated laptop, though.

You might want to consider cropping the right side up to the guy's elbow, and cloning away the woman because she's not looking at the Cadillac.

It's a pleasure to see this.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Scott Whittemore
Re: The Stairs - Deconstructed

This image works really well and I love that the colors are so muted except the red. Did you desaturate all but the red intentionally or is that just the color arrangement that was there?

Nice work.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Re: Down by the harbour

Shallow DoF works well here. Beautiful detail in the post and rope. A nicely composed image well worth a closer look in expanded view. Nice shot.

-- hide signature --
Zindanfel
Re: Launch

Color is king here, but in a gentle, undemanding way.

I have half a recollection that flamingoes are pink because of their diet.  If that's right, does it apply for these birds as well?

-- hide signature --

Zin

minniev Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
The Shadow Of The Unnamed Monster

I am afraid you can't critique this one without reading this story because this is a real Southern Gothic photo. I took this a couple of days ago while visiting a friend who has moved back to the small Mississippi town where she grew up and is trying to help revitalize the area. She took me to see the old town jail where her great grandmother (African American) was locked up in the late 1800's for confronting a white person who mistreated one of her family. She wanted me to take a photo of it to frame for her new business. The shadow of the dead tree fell so ominously across the door, we both saw the symbolism - the past is gone, but its shadow still falls on us.

Zindanfel

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

I always learn from your thoughts...

It's all fine.

The picture is about margins and change, and some of what can occur at edges and interfaces. Refraction, surface tension, reflection, color shift, refreshment, etc.

Sink and swim, and look good in the performance.

-- hide signature --

Zin

19andrew47
Re: Down by the harbour

I like the general feel of the image.  I would lighten the lower part of the image, perhaps as Lou has done above but would also clone out the white 'wire' above the post as has also already been suggested.  Both of these will improve the image considerably.

Andrew

19andrew47

I like the lily pad on the dark water. I would crop as shown below. Also a slight adjustment with local tone mapping.  The crop removes some items and extends the vein in the pad in the direction of the lower right corner of the image.

Andrew

Original by Florida Nature Photographer edited here for C&C purposes only

Zindanfel
Re: The Shadow Of The Unnamed Monster

minniev wrote:

I am afraid you can't critique this one without reading this story because this is a real Southern Gothic photo. I took this a couple of days ago while visiting a friend who has moved back to the small Mississippi town where she grew up and is trying to help revitalize the area. She took me to see the old town jail where her great grandmother (African American) was locked up in the late 1800's for confronting a white person who mistreated one of her family. She wanted me to take a photo of it to frame for her new business. The shadow of the dead tree fell so ominously across the door, we both saw the symbolism - the past is gone, but its shadow still falls on us.

Sepia is good. B&W could have made the subject seem too dim-and-distant (irrelevant) past.

Just-right tone makes the window bars visible. Maybe consider a slight bottom-crop, just short of the light-tone rectangle in lower right.

Historical reenactment on this site could be powerful.

Thank you for the background.  We all need to know such history.

-- hide signature --

Zin

NewGirlLiz Regular Member • Posts: 464
Lou

Lou, that's brilliant. Can you tell me how you did it, so I can give it a go myself? Thanks!

Liz

NewGirlLiz Regular Member • Posts: 464
Thanks Roel...

Wow, Roel, thank you for this detailed feedback. I totally understand what you're saying. I didn't think I really agreed with you about the distant buildings, but looking at it more, i think you're right.

By the way, I'm not a 'shallow DOF junkie' myself. I took this shot as part of an assignment for my photography class that was all about exploring depth of field!

Thanks again - really helpful.

Liz

Scott Whittemore

I believe so.

You are what you eat.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,351
not directed at you but at the Usual Suspects

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Wow, Roel, thank you for this detailed feedback. I totally understand what you're saying. I didn't think I really agreed with you about the distant buildings, but looking at it more, i think you're right.

By the way, I'm not a 'shallow DOF junkie' myself. I took this shot as part of an assignment for my photography class that was all about exploring depth of field!

The remark was not directed at you, but at the usual suspects, battling it out forever, like for instance in this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53265323

(Mind you : those same people seldom participate in threads about real photos like our weekly get-together.)

Someone in that thread somewhere spoke wise words : he said that a National Geo photographer he had the pleasure of working with, always said that graphic simplicity and subject isolation starts with the relationship between subject and background : if you arrange those well, the depth of field does not really matter all that much.  And I agree with that wholeheartedly.

After that, I stopped reading, because those DOF discussions are like a merry-go-round: they get nowhere, but they accelerate and make you sick to the stomach...

Thanks again - really helpful.

Liz

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Very nice launch photo of my favorite water bird. You definitely made the best of the lighting you had, and didn't let it rob the photo of any of its power, not an easy task. Like it a lot.

I like the dreamy quality of the water and reflection. I would have suspected a slower shutter speed. If it were mine I'd probably lose the bottom plant stem, and let the one semi-submerged lily pad be the star of the show. The subtle colors are nice. Good job of spotting a small, seemingly insignificant plant element and making a complete image out of it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads