There has to be a Xpro2....

Started Mar 11, 2014 | Discussions
John Motts Veteran Member • Posts: 5,424
Re: There has to be a Xpro2....

mistermejia wrote:

John Motts wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

And now the XT1 is there, a nice little camera, weathersealed and quite responsive. But still not up to professional standards and still to small for my hands.

There are plenty of pros using them.

What pros? I am sure pros are using it, but i what do you mean by pros? There are the Pro bird shooter that would never sell their D300 over a XT1, no way jose. I can mention my dad, who is NOT a pro, but owns a D300 and long lenses. He would NEVER buy a XT1 over a D300 with its solid built and high class AF system.

All kinds of pros, with the exception of sports photographers. What do I mean by pros? Well the normal definition - people who earn all or most of their living from photography.

Your example of pro bird shooters is an example of a very small minority of pros. Personally I don't know any. I'm not sure why you mention your dad as an example because you've just said he isn't a pro, but the image quality of the XT1 is in a different league from his D300, particularly in low light.

I can name you quite a few portrait, product, fashion, travel and wedding pros who are already using them. I've just ordered two of them myself, along with battery grips and prime lenses. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do I will selling my Nikon full frame cameras and lenses.

DocetLector wrote:

Well, that`s exactly the point! Why not making the camera a bit bigger with a good handgrip, it would be so much more comfortable to use. Did you ever have a Mamiya 6 in your hands? Then you would probably know what I mean. Of course it is not necessary to make a body that big -that was a 6x6 MF.

There are already people whinging that the X series is getting too big because of the large lenses. Fuji can't satisfy everyone.

mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340

John Motts wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

John Motts wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

And now the XT1 is there, a nice little camera, weathersealed and quite responsive. But still not up to professional standards and still to small for my hands.

What pros? I am sure pros are using it, but i what do you mean by pros? There are the Pro bird shooter that would never sell their D300 over a XT1, no way jose. I can mention my dad, who is NOT a pro, but owns a D300 and long lenses. He would NEVER buy a XT1 over a D300 with its solid built and high class AF system.

All kinds of pros, with the exception of sports photographers. What do I mean by pros? Well the normal definition - people who earn all or most of their living from photography.

Your example of pro bird shooters is an example of a very small minority of pros. Personally I don't know any. I'm not sure why you mention your dad as an example because you've just said he isn't a pro, but the image quality of the XT1 is in a different league from his D300, particularly in low light.

Sorry for the confusion there. I meant to say that many bird shooters want a solid fast system. Regarding my dad, even if he is not a pro shooter at all, he wouldn't buy a XT1 either just because the body is a bit too small, and does not possess a good AF system as his D300.

The Xpro2 could be made more for those kind of people, or just for anybody that wants one

That's why every camera manufacturer makes the cheapy point and shoot versions, the mid level, and the high end cameras. And the XT1 could just be a "taste" of what the Xpro2 might be in a future.

I can name you quite a few portrait, product, fashion, travel and wedding pros who are already using them. I've just ordered two of them myself, along with battery grips and prime lenses. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do I will selling my Nikon full frame cameras and lenses.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,155

I hope they'll do a x-pro2 with the new organic aps-c sensor with 40mp.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.i

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
ScottD1964 Senior Member • Posts: 1,715

DocetLector wrote:

As a long time Fuji user - I have my S3 pro now for 9 years as my main camera - I am still not ready to buy into the X-System. I was very close to do so when the Xpro1 came but I wanted to wait a little bit to see if there are flaws with the new system and I also knew that the price will come down soon as it did with the S3. Then the XE1 hit the market with some improvements over the Xpro1 which could not be fixed in a firmware update like the better ELV.

I never considered to buy a XE camera because they are to small to hold comfortably especially with the bigger lenses and there are quite big lenses coming up on the roadmap!

I personally do not understand why a camera body has to be so small, carrying a camera the whole day. To me size doesn`t matter much - it is the weight which gives pain.

In all actuality the X-T1 is not that small.  It's only in recent years with the release of the huge Canon 1 series bodies and Nikon D3' and 4's and such has an SLR body become so incredibly large.  The X-T1 is only a centimeter or so smaller than the Canon F-1's I used to carry in my film days.  Even with the motor drive attached to the F-1 the X-T1 with the grip is basically the same size.  The F-1 was the Pro's choice if you were shooting Canon much like the like size Nikon F2 if you were a Nikon shooter.  These were the larger bodies.  Canon's "A" line was even smaller as were Nikon's consumer based FM bodies.  Olympus broke ground with the size of the OM line and the features and build quality of the system in both the bodies and lenses and was so successful that they have nearly replicated the size with their OM m43 line.

I quite frankly don't mind a bit smaller body than the 1D's, let alone 5D III or 7D with grip.  The weight and balance of these units was getting to be insane especially once you figured that a body and 70-200 f2.8 was close to 6 pounds on its own and was about as ergonomic as holding a cinder block.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,019

There does and although Fuji have been on the fast track lately and may want to ease off the gas pedal, they still need to create excitement in the market. Mainly because of the 'consumer electronics' nature of the camera market these days.

I therefore expect a new flagship model this year.

It's really any ones guess though.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
rjx
rjx Contributing Member • Posts: 917
Good luck on your wait

DocetLector wrote:

I personally do not understand why a camera body has to be so small, carrying a camera the whole day. To me size doesn`t matter much - it is the weight which gives pain.

So I am looking forward to a new XPro at least the size of the XPro1, fast,responsive, weathersealed, with 2 batteries and 2 card slots and enough space between the buttons.

Just my opinion...

hehe

rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Zeiss Loxia 50
rjx
I don't think Fuji is too concerned with bird shooters

I don't think that's the demographic they're trying to tap into. Not that you can't make nice bird images on the X cameras. You definitely can. But if you're a dedicated bird shooter, a nice crop sensor DSLR w/ fast AF and long lenses like a 300mm, 400mm, 500mm+ prime. Or zooms like the 100-400mm, 200-400mm, etc. Even Sigma's 150-500mm lens is the way to go imo.

Fuji X system has expanded beyond just the small / light, take everywhere walk around camera system into more of a full fledge system that appeals to many kinds of shooters while saving around 50% of the weight of a DSLR system. But they're definitely not trying to target hardcore bird shooters and probably never will... though their AF should continue to improve with future cameras and lenses.

Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Zeiss Loxia 50
rjx
Get a grip

DocetLector wrote:

Well, that`s exactly the point! Why not making the camera a bit bigger with a good handgrip, it would be so much more comfortable to use.

Because most people buying into the X system want a smaller camera. That was the whole point of the product line.

Instead of making the cameras bigger, fuji is "trying" to make the ergonomics more pleasing. And people have the option of buying grips if they need a slightly bigger camera. No need to make the camera bigger when their are additional grips to purchase. If they made their cameras bigger, more people would complain about the size being too big than those complaining now how the size is too small.

rjx

John Motts wrote:

There are already people whinging that the X series is getting too big because of the large lenses. Fuji can't satisfy everyone.

I agree 100%

Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,735

tecnoworld wrote:

I hope they'll do a x-pro2 with the new organic aps-c sensor with 40mp.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.i

Well, if it has 40mp count me out.

OP DocetLector Regular Member • Posts: 358

Me too !

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Just a Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,368

I am sorry that I misunderstood you.
I thought you were looking for a 'large' body mirrorless system, or at least more then Fuji had to offer.
I was wrong

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +9 more

DocetLector wrote:

The XT1 is actually no smaller than many high end SLRs form the 70s and 80s. I have a Contax 139 with is about the same size. The legendary Olympus OM1 was a similar size.

This idea that professionals have to use monsters like Nikon D4s is actually a relatively recent phenomenon. Even medium format film cameras with good lenses didn't come close to the size and weight of a Nikon D3/4 or even D700 or Canon 5D with 70-200 f/2.8.

Professionals use whatever suits best, not necessarily the biggest.

Just a Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,368

mistermejia wrote:

John Motts wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

But the Xpro2 could have that, and is still is very compact at the same time. Oh! And lets not forget that is would still have Fuji image quality

I largely earn my money with photography and can be considered a Pro.
Yes I will be using the X-T1 next to my D4 or D800E. Especially in those situations that require more descretion.

The only thing that really lacks is a good flash, preferably wireless just like the new Canon system.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +9 more

Well, nothing against a fixed lens camera with - let say - a MF sensor. Fuji has made them in the past for film - a kind of super X100. I had one for a couple of years, it was 6x4,5. Great results but for normal shooting you had to use the camera in portrait mode.

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Gabor Esperon Regular Member • Posts: 159

I am sort of on the same boat. I like the company, their philosophy and the stuff they are getting out, but I am not waiting. While I do think they will be announcing a FF body by end of this year / beginning of 2014, I have no idea if it is going to be a "X-pro2".

I also have been wanting to go back to FF for a while, and start shooting film too. So I've got a couple of M-glass with a Ikon RF and I probably go Sony A7 for digital. That way I can use the M-glass on any mirrorless regardless of manufacturer. If Fuji comes with something I like, I ebay the Sony, if not I'll keep it. But as I said, I am not waiting.

I have never said that I like cameras that big like Nikon D3/4 or ProCanon but the Contax 139 which I had for a short time was too small for me. I was shooting with a RTS II for more than 10 years and this camerabody was very comfortable to use, especially with fast lenses like the 135/2 or 180/2.8 and winder and grip. To me the size of the Xpro1 is ideal and all I am saying is that I hope Fuji will bring a pro body with the roughly the same dimensions.

We are actually not in the same boat because I hope Fuji will not bring a FF Xpro. They would have to create a whole new line of lenses and I cannot see Fuji managing it. I am not interested in legacy lenses and manual focussing so it would be a dealbreaker for me because bringing out all the lenses for FF wouls take another couple of years. Going mirrorless FF means going Sony and that idea I don`t like so much.

Gabor Esperon Regular Member • Posts: 159

DocetLector wrote:

We are actually not in the same boat because I hope Fuji will not bring a FF Xpro. They would have to create a whole new line of lenses and I cannot see Fuji managing it. I am not interested in legacy lenses and manual focussing so it would be a dealbreaker for me because bringing out all the lenses for FF wouls take another couple of years. Going mirrorless FF means going Sony and that idea I don`t like so much.

Yeah. It makes sense.... I still think the competition is going to force them to get a FF body out sometime. How are they going to deal with lenses and what body, I have no idea.

But regardless of format, I hope Fuji releases a Xpro2 with improved OVF, all recent goodies and more. X-Pro1 still is a great camera, I have a couple of X lenses, and cropped sensor or not, I think is going to be a good camera.

Gabor

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads