Steve Huff reviews X-T1, loves it (mostly)

Started Mar 10, 2014 | Discussions
4054 Regular Member • Posts: 153
Re: Painterly jpegs.

djezraj wrote:

Chanthis wrote:

i think it was the jpegs he had an issue with. He said they were painterly.

Yes I think that is fair in some cases and his criticism is not necessarily unfounded. However he does process raw and comment in other reviews and posts/quick comparisons.

Perhaps it is in fact the "flak" that he gets from dissapointed Fuji users is so much that he has decides to comment only on Jpeg? Im not sure, and besides its his website so rant aside he can say what he wants of course.

What irks me is he is a Mac user and a pretty savvy and technical guy. No one is asking him to run UNIX scripts in Terminal or write code. Anyone here can download the demo of Iridient developer, capture one or Photo Ninja and see better results on screen with no painterly issues. Yet Steve is more comfortable not viewing or being aware of these results, and i find this odd.

Again its Steve's call and I'm just here griping. Those are the facts.

I am just calling BS on his "no BS". Steve huff always says "folks i just call it as i see it" when in fact he has just refused to see any other results other than out of camera results and Adobe raw conversion.

If your eyes are closed to the "other facts" then I guess that is his prerogative but it does put a shadow on the whole truth.

Yes Fuji has smeared a blade of grass or two In Camera but this is only a problem in some select cases. and I have yet to see it or any real issue in the apps above.

Bottom Line I just have to live with it, but I like his website most of the time and wish he would come around on RAW.

DP on the other hand continue to provide the facts for all even if we don't agree with their assessment we can look at the other results available.

Roger

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7925236@N02/

Ideally, he could have focused on solutions instead of ranting and writing 'stream of consciousness' style. So problems exist, here is how to alleviate it.

Example: If/when shooting above a certain iso, shoot raw.

WCguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,040
Re: I wouldn't fret over it too much

D200_4me wrote:

Some seem to be pretty upset about his comments in the review, but everyone has their own opinion, so that's ok. It's pretty clear to me though (as an owner of both the E-M1 and X-T1), the X-T1 has better image quality overall. From a pure pixel peeping standpoint, the Fuji has cleaner images and are very sharp, even with the 18-55 zoom. I see a little 'grain' even in my ISO 200 shots on the E-M1 sometimes, but let's be honest...nobody would ever see that, viewing photos at normal sizes. Even up to ISO 3200 or so, I seriously doubt anyone viewing the photos normally would ever notice grain in the photos from the E-M1. But like I said, overall the X-T1 has better image quality and it's very impressive to me. I looked closely at my own samples from the E-M1 and X-T1 (though I haven't been able to convert any raws from the X-T1 yet since I use Lightroom) and the X-T1 is the clear winner for pixel peeping. And for 'real world' normal viewing, I guess it just depends on the scene and the individual photo, but I generally find myself more impressed with my Fuji files (X100S and X-T1).

Ultimately, any person's review is not something to get all worked up about...unless they're just totally uninformed or biased and telling a bunch of lies on purpose. I think Steve's review is simply his own personal experience and opinion speaking. And yes, indeed he does need to make a living so he does reviews and posts lots of stuff on his site and has plenty of advertising. Gotta make a living, you know. Nothing wrong with that. Me on the other hand...my day job pays for my photography site and I usually don't make any money from photography. I don't put much effort into it though. It's just a hobby/fun, first and foremost. I don't want to ruin my fun by having to pander to anyone or beg people to buy something from me.

Well said.   WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V3 +38 more
Jim Radcliffe
Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,813
Just opinions.. nothing to get worked up over.. but they do.

D200_4me wrote:

Ultimately, any person's review is not something to get all worked up about...unless they're just totally uninformed or biased and telling a bunch of lies on purpose. I think Steve's review is simply his own personal experience and opinion speaking. And yes, indeed he does need to make a living so he does reviews and posts lots of stuff on his site and has plenty of advertising. Gotta make a living, you know. Nothing wrong with that. Me on the other hand...my day job pays for my photography site and I usually don't make any money from photography. I don't put much effort into it though. It's just a hobby/fun, first and foremost. I don't want to ruin my fun by having to pander to anyone or beg people to buy something from me.

I had a guy write me after I put up my "review" of the X-T1 late Saturday night giving me grief because I did not go into the "problems" with the X-Trans sensor and a myriad of other pixel-peeping details.  That's  not what I do.. I just post my impressions of the camera and post some of the pictures I have taken with it.  I do it for fun, no ads, no pleas for money to help pay the rent.  My website costs me less than $20 a month.. but then I don't pretend to be anything but a hobbyist/amateur.... and I still get hate mail.  

You can view my thoughts and samples on the X-T1 at: www.boxedlight.com  No hate mail please.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,852
And you do a fine job Jim

No need for apologies for the banter of the ignorant, uninformed and wanna be's out there with nothing better to do than give you grief. You're pictures should have done all the talking necessary. I too have grown tired of those challenging the results I've discussed regarding camera gear. I've been doing this for quite some time but I guess I shouldn't expect the  respect of these internet dweebs.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +11 more
iau Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: Steve Huff reviews X-T1, loves it (mostly)

nplanet wrote:

When was the last time he did not like a camera?

Well, he once wrote that he only reviewed cameras/gear he liked.

While I find his reviews somewhat interesting I don't find them very useful. He is too superficial and not really easy to understand. He calls it real world reviews just so nobody can tell him he is wrong or try to correct him. I also find it strange that he always refers to other reviews (not sure whose) as Fuji fan sites just because they like something he doesn't. I've been a m4/3 shooter as well and I find more "fan sites" in that camp than Fuji. But I still like it, I just prefer Fuji myself.

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 +6 more
Jim Radcliffe
Re: And you do a fine job Jim

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

No need for apologies for the banter of the ignorant, uninformed and wanna be's out there with nothing better to do than give you grief. You're pictures should have done all the talking necessary. I too have grown tired of those challenging the results I've discussed regarding camera gear. I've been doing this for quite some time but I guess I shouldn't expect the respect of these internet dweebs.

Thanks... I don't mind or care if someone disagrees with me on my thoughts or opinions but aggressive/antagonistic emails over a hobbyist review of a camera is nuts.  Needless to say, I did not respond.. there would be no point.  I said up-front there would be no nuts and bolts or GearHead techno-babel about the camera.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

fotophool Veteran Member • Posts: 4,332
Re: Some of his results

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

That having been said, I also am a "definitive" kind of guy. I don't mix words and I frankly tend to NOT make light of a given weakness in a product I feel diminishes it's ability to do it's job. In as much as many who have the Micro 4/3rd system would love to ignore or want to go away, as yet nobody has been able to wish or design away the laws of physics that are STILL at play here, meaning that sensor size WILL in the end have the single largest impact on light gathering capabilities. So if all you wish to do is argue that there is "very little difference" or "they are so close as that it doesn't matter" go right ahead. I'm sure that 4 cylinder Kia will go just as fast as the 6 cylinder Porsche all day long. No worries. I haven't failed to notice as well, you have this penchant for following my posts and making sure to (in your mind) correct me. I guess if you've got the time (and the money as you obviously must owning every camera made today) go right ahead. I've been at this too many years to give up trying to steer people in the right direction. As for my suggestion to you....it would be grow up! P.S. try a little perspective edit on that photo, buildings don't lean that much if they plan on staying erect

[fotophool wrote:]

Jeez, guy, get a grip and let it go!

Has a day gone by here this year that you haven't made some disparaging remark about the m/4/3 system and noise?

We get it. You switched to Fuji and couldn't be happier. We don't need to be reminded of it on a daily basis.

You switched to PhotoNinja from LR and couldn't be happier. Good for you! But do we have to be reminded of it everyday?

Here's what the Huff review highlights and what so you seem oblivious of:

Different strokes for different folks.

Coupled with the fact that most of today's cameras are probably better than 95% of their users:

http://ripecamera.blogspot.com/2014/03/all-cameras-are-better-than-you-are.html

I assume that you're primarily a landscape photographer, whereas Huff seems to be mainly into street stuff.

Is it any great wonder then that your gear preferences might differ from his and his from yours?

You seem to want some either/or world, when you need look no further than to Ray Sachs here who uses different systems for different situations and doesn't see any need to disparage one over the other.

The fact of the matter is, with gifted photographers like Ray Sachs and Jim Radcliffe currently posting here on a regular basis, this board is particularly blessed.

Take advantage of it and do what they do: Post more pictures and less contentious verbiage re this system or that. Milk them for all their worth re photography and post processing skills while they're here.

For now they're on the Fuji board. Don't let the opportunity go to waste.

As for anyone who wants to call me a troll, I'm Ben Hermann's offspring. I've got one of almost everything and a couple or more of most.

Here's a Ricoh GR pic just for the heckuva it.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Old Red

If you're in any way suggesting that I'm stalking you, the answer is NO.

(Thanks for the all CAPs tip, btw, I'll try to use it more often. What next bold?)

The fact of the matter is that I can't escape your posts, because you're here on a daily basis proclaiming the same two memes in almost every thread:

1) Fuji greatest thing since sliced bread.

2) m/4/3 demonstrate noise at EVERY ISO (One wonders how you managed to suffer it so long.)

To which you've now added a third meme:

3) Fuji focuses faster and more accurately in low light than the latest Olympus.

You are the ONLY photographer on Planet Earth who makes that latter claim that I am aware of, btw.

Enjoy your gear.

No one is arguing otherwise.

Just come up with some fresh angles.

Maybe more picture posting and less gear bashing.

You know, like Jim and Ray?

I'll thank you and so will everyone else on this board.

Because I don't have the time to respond to your every post.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Brian Caslis
Brian Caslis Senior Member • Posts: 2,932
Re: Just opinions.. nothing to get worked up over.. but they do.

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

D200_4me wrote:

I had a guy write me after I put up my "review" of the X-T1 late Saturday night giving me grief because I did not go into the "problems" with the X-Trans sensor and a myriad of other pixel-peeping details. That's not what I do.. I just post my impressions of the camera and post some of the pictures I have taken with it. I do it for fun, no ads, no pleas for money to help pay the rent. My website costs me less than $20 a month.. but then I don't pretend to be anything but a hobbyist/amateur.... and I still get hate mail.

You can view my thoughts and samples on the X-T1 at: www.boxedlight.com No hate mail please.

Simply amazing that people feel that they can demand others to follow their opinion when the material is provided at no cost to them.

Very nice review. I'm just amazed by people's attitudes.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,237

Nice

So far I've never had anyone write and say anything negative.  I hardly ever get mail, but when I do it's usually people asking questions about gear I owned or had owned....and I'll get some compliments now and then, which is nice.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Davidgilmour Senior Member • Posts: 1,444
Re: Uh, oh, the SLC Guy ain't gonna like this...

fotophool wrote:

From the review:

I would still prefer to shoot the E-M1 for its better JPEG output

Wow, first time i read this! What happened with Fuji JPEG?

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
aroundomaha
aroundomaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,275
Best kind of review

Your review is the kind I prefer. No angle toward selling ads or being a thinly veiled shill for getting people to buy new gear.

Its an enthusiast's realistic working experience. For better social acceptance I guess you could throw in a few gratuitous shots of your cat, a brick wall or a dusty bottle of booze on a table.

I regularly read Kirk Tuck's blog and he has had similar issues of drive-by, Internet verbal flatulence.

For myself I greatly appreciate a review that has a variety of shots and first person thoughts about how the camera worked while you were doing it.

-- hide signature --

Aroundomaha
http://f64m.com

aroundomaha's gear list:aroundomaha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Gediminas 8 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Who cares?

I see little point in waiting for verdicts of some self-proclaimed experts.

In my 10+ years of using digital cameras I've learned that personal impression is the only thing that matters when judging a product. User forums are helpful too.

However, "reviews" by various trolling bloggers are useful if one is insecure about their purchase and needs reassurance.

Gediminas 8's gear list:Gediminas 8's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Jim Radcliffe
Made me laugh...

aroundomaha wrote:

I regularly read Kirk Tuck's blog and he has had similar issues of drive-by, Internet verbal flatulence.

Drive by flatulence.... thanks for starting my work day with a laugh.. love that phrase.

For myself I greatly appreciate a review that has a variety of shots and first person thoughts about how the camera worked while you were doing it.

As do I.  I always want to see what a photographer can do with the gear.. not someone testing the gear.. no slight intended to DPReview staff... I just prefer to see the work and use of a camera from someone who paid for it.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Re: Who cares? Lots of people have to care...

Gediminas 8 wrote:

In my 10+ years of using digital cameras I've learned that personal impression is the only thing that matters when judging a product. User forums are helpful too.

However, "reviews" by various trolling bloggers are useful if one is insecure about their purchase and needs reassurance.

Those with limited financial resources may not be able to enjoy your style of buying.  Some have to sell the gear they have to buy the new gear and that presents a real problem to those people.  They HAVE to be sure before they buy.. in those cases (especially if they do not have a local dealer) reviews are just about all they have to go by.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

SaltLakeGuy
There ya go Jim

I'm one who has changed systems more than I care to admit. I am NOT one blessed with the luxury of maintaining 2 systems. So I have to find one that does ALL things for me. Lot's of research and in house testing is essential to a proper move. My last one was moving from mft (EM1) to the Fuji X-T1. So far not one regret.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji EF-42 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja

Sony RX10 IV +11 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,756
Re: Who cares? Lots of people have to care...

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Gediminas 8 wrote:

Those with limited financial resources may not be able to enjoy your style of buying. Some have to sell the gear they have to buy the new gear and that presents a real problem to those people. They HAVE to be sure before they buy.. in those cases (especially if they do not have a local dealer) reviews are just about all they have to go by.

I would add that I don't use reviews so that I can buy based on the verdict of self-proclaimed experts.  I use reviews for the details that the self-proclaimed expert provides to support their verdict.  Sure, I'd like to have the luxury to try every piece of equipment I might be interested in but that isn't realistic for me.    I'm not going to order 4 cameras and return 3.    I want to order one with a 90% chance that I'm keeping it.  I rarely return anything because of online reviews, forums, and user feedback.

Chanthis Regular Member • Posts: 182
No, you just learned to use the Photonija Noise Reduction slider properly after being tutored.

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

they are automatically a "fanboy"? Nice. I think enthusiasm is being confused for bias here sadly. But you seem inflamed in the wrong direction. Sorry YOUR results and mine with the mft is a different deal. No friggen way the mft stuff will retain highlights in the same manner as the X-T1 does, and don't think for one minute I didn't try this extensively before sending the EM1 to a new owner.

You guys act as if I just make these statements without having any tests behind these decisions. I realize after all this is the internet, but sheesh. Yeah in fact the shots I took in lower room natural light at ISO6400 showed significant differences between the EM1 and X-T1 to say the least. The amount of noise generated by the EM1 was to the point where fine detail was greatly effected.

...as you expressed here, until you learned to dial in the noise reduction in Photo Ninja, (as I explained to you) your OM1 images looked better than your X-T1 images.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53166247

Someone else kindly explained to you about the "noise in the sky" phenomenon of your Olympus gear that you've harped on at every opportunity here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53140268

...and you responded here, stating that you didn't want to have to use software to remove the noise.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53140451

Yet now you happily remove proclaims the virtues of Photo Ninja (and it's noise reduction capability,) now that you've learned to use it.

I happened to stumble across another of your posts over in the MFT forum. Seems you did the same stuff over there that you're now doing here: criticizing others when they discover or express shortcomings in equipment you own, equipment to happen to be chear-leading for at the time.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53021418

Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793
Great Points

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Gediminas 8 wrote:

Those with limited financial resources may not be able to enjoy your style of buying. Some have to sell the gear they have to buy the new gear and that presents a real problem to those people. They HAVE to be sure before they buy.. in those cases (especially if they do not have a local dealer) reviews are just about all they have to go by

Good points, Jim.

Personally, I enjoy reading reviews/impressions on photo blogs.  Overtime, you get an impression of what is important to the reviewer, their biases, etc., which can help you judge the points they make in their previews/reviews.

What I don't do:  use these blog sites for "verdicts" which I have to agree or disagree.

The thing I like about Steve Huff's site:  I can easily skim over his articles and quickly pick out a few points of potential interest and move on.   The images he posts are also typically better than what you find on dpreview's preview galleries.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +52 more
SaltLakeGuy
Re: No, you just learned to use the Photonija Noise Reduction slider properly after being tutored.

No you aren't getting what I said. Noise reduction of ANY kind compromised the EM1's image by losing detail in the process. The X-T1 being processed via PhotoNinja using or not using the NR setting has virtually NO loss of detail where there is some to begin with BIG difference. As for my statements (what you call cheering) regarding the "shutter shock" thing with mft....I've NEVER once seen it in all the files I shot with several different mft cameras. That was what I was making a declaration of. If it exists it is likely a flaw of the shooter not the camera and I'm sticking with that.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji EF-42 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja

Sony RX10 IV +11 more
djezraj Contributing Member • Posts: 740

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

D200_4me wrote:

I had a guy write me after I put up my "review" of the X-T1 late Saturday night giving me grief because I did not go into the "problems" with the X-Trans sensor and a myriad of other pixel-peeping details. That's not what I do.. I just post my impressions of the camera and post some of the pictures I have taken with it. I do it for fun, no ads, no pleas for money to help pay the rent. My website costs me less than $20 a month.. but then I don't pretend to be anything but a hobbyist/amateur.... and I still get hate mail.

You can view my thoughts and samples on the X-T1 at: www.boxedlight.com No hate mail please.

You are both right about not getting worked up . I think for me Steve Huffs review got under my skin a bit and this is my fault. While I have kept "most" of my thoughts to myself (glad for that) I feel somehow let down by my predetermined expectation of reviews from his blog. It is correct that this is totally nuts and this also bugs me so I'm double doomed..haha

To address you Jim I like your blog very much as well as your photography. You also indirectly helped me decide to migrate from Pentax to Fuji. Not because any dissatisfaction with Pentax as I will miss my DA35 most dearly but rather your assessment of weight size and day to day casual use.

So I have made the jump and glad I did. The XF 23 is the DA21 I always wanted albeit larger!

Perhaps what I admire is any photographer that buys into a system looking for solutions not problems. Pentax has lots of problems but i only saw solutions until i needed a different different.

My K10D won no awards for amazing jpeg's but in the right hands with a good RAW workflow I still love the IQ even compared to modern CMOS sensors. So perhaps Steve Huff should only use Adobe and JPEg with Fuji but his refusal to even try other RAW converters contradicts the real world no BS style I came to appreciate.

So perhaps I'm being a total git or maybe I have a point. For me personally i will always look at a total solution and work towards that. For Fuji I use what works with Fuji not what works against it.

Thanks for the great images!

Cheers

Roger

djezraj's gear list:djezraj's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads