Question on 10D camera

Started Mar 10, 2014 | Discussions
agspecialties Regular Member • Posts: 217
Question on 10D camera

I would like to know what kind of sleep mode this Canon 10D camera has??? Can anyone chime in on this. What is this camera worth used?

Thanks

Canon EOS 10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,542
Re: Question on 10D camera

agspecialties wrote:

I would like to know what kind of sleep mode this Canon 10D camera has??? Can anyone chime in on this. What is this camera worth used?

Thanks

It has the standard sleep mode where it will blank out until the shutter button is pressed to wake it up again.  I seem to recall it has a user selectable time interval before it goes to sleep, and I think you can disable the sleeping altogether as well.  Not worth much at all on the used market, but in good light its a great camera.  Its biggest negatives are its slow operation, small rear display, and noise above ISO400.  Also, it won't accept EF-S lenses, the 20D was the first to offer that option.

OP agspecialties Regular Member • Posts: 217

dwalby wrote:

agspecialties wrote:

Thanks

It has the standard sleep mode where it will blank out until the shutter button is pressed to wake it up again. I seem to recall it has a user selectable time interval before it goes to sleep, and I think you can disable the sleeping altogether as well. Not worth much at all on the used market, but in good light its a great camera. Its biggest negatives are its slow operation, small rear display, and noise above ISO400. Also, it won't accept EF-S lenses, the 20D was the first to offer that option.

Thanks for your response. You think 100 bucks for a used 10D or a little more??

agspecialties wrote:

dwalby wrote:

agspecialties wrote:

Thanks

It has the standard sleep mode where it will blank out until the shutter button is pressed to wake it up again. I seem to recall it has a user selectable time interval before it goes to sleep, and I think you can disable the sleeping altogether as well. Not worth much at all on the used market, but in good light its a great camera. Its biggest negatives are its slow operation, small rear display, and noise above ISO400. Also, it won't accept EF-S lenses, the 20D was the first to offer that option.

One more question, can you wake a canon camera up using a remote trigger when the camera goes to sleep???

dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,542

agspecialties wrote:

agspecialties wrote:

dwalby wrote:

agspecialties wrote:

Thanks

One more question, can you wake a canon camera up using a remote trigger when the camera goes to sleep???

Don't know the answer to that question, but I can tell you that as long as the rear LCD is off the camera isn't consuming much power when its not sleeping anyway. I own one, haven't used it much the last few years, but when I did I turned off the sleep mode altogether and carried it around all day long. In fact I seem to recall having discussions on this forum many years ago where people complained that it took too long to come back out of sleep mode, so I told them to just turn off sleep mode and that problem would go away.

regarding the value, let's just say its not likely you're going to get into a bidding war on Ebay over one, or if you buy locally that the seller is going to have multiple offers.  Whatever its worth to you is fair game as an offer.

M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 580

agspecialties wrote:

Very definitely YES.

I've kept my 10D, and now use it for time lapse sequences, using the mains/battery adapter and a Canon TC-80N3 timer/remote control.  Sometimes I shoot every 30 minutes; in other cases, it's once/day.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more

I build wildlife camera traps out of old DSLR cameras. I am trying to figure out what the wake up time of this 10 D camera is when it is in sleep mode. I have heard that it takes this camera 2 seconds to wake up. Is that true??? I was hoping for a little faster wake up time on this camera.

M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 580

That's a very different use to my time-lapse sequences, where the camera gets awakened (I think) by a pre-pulse (shutter half-press) from the timer/remote.  Certainly when I've been present during a photo, the camera wakes up several seconds before the shot is taken.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 23,847

agspecialties wrote:

agspecialties wrote:

dwalby wrote:

agspecialties wrote:

Thanks

Yes; it's the same as pressing the shutter release on the camera.

Dougs_Photo Regular Member • Posts: 127

There is one listed at KEH Camera for less than $100 in excellent + condition.

Doug

Dougs_Photo's gear list:Dougs_Photo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 50D +28 more

Hey, thanks for your time guys. I am going to pass on these cameras. Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads