Df is great for quiet, slow-paced event photography

Started Mar 10, 2014 | Discussions
Jogger
Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441
Df is great for quiet, slow-paced event photography

I shot a funeral/memorial yesterday with a D700/24-70f2.8 and a Df/100f2 combo (manual focus). I have to say that this combo worked out very well for me. In the 24-70 range, the folks will know that you are there, so the size and loudness of the D700 doesnt matter as much.

For candid shots and podium speaking, the smaller size, quieter shutter, and "non-screaming, monster pro SLR" appearance of the Df was much ideal more ideal than the D700. And, the sensor is AMAZING which is very important because flash is an absolute no-no for funerals.

The smaller size and weight (when paired with a short tele prime) makes its a great secondary camera for a larger one like a D700/800/4 paired with a fast zoom, etc.

Oh, and its really FUN to use.. esp. with a prime and when paired with a primary pro DSLR that you can depend on for those times when AF/framing is critical.

Im still learning the ins and outs of the Df, but, i think im going to love shooting with this. I bought the black version, because i think the silver will look tacky when the retro novelty wears out.. the black version is really timeless. I think the Df will be a classic like the D700.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,238
Re: Df is great for quiet, slow-paced event photography

Same conclusion I came to shooting the Df along side the D800 not too long ago. The Df images were outstanding and the added low-light capability was especially helpful, allowing me a higher shutter speed with a longer lens (80-200 in my case).

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
succedane Forum Member • Posts: 68

Same experience with classical concerts. No flash, no noise, no tripod, smart design (black model), Df is my main camera.

Liviu Namolovan Contributing Member • Posts: 573

I cannot get it at all. Why would anyone shoot a funeral? Who would like to remember "how it was at the funeral?" Anyway, I have to give credit to the fact that a Df is better tool to shoot a funeral than a D700 is.

LeonardoG Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: Df is great for quiet, slow-paced event photography - BUT

With such amazing low light sensor performance, I am surprised that the focus sensitivity is only good to EV-1 rather than EV-3 such as a few DSLR's are capable of.

-- hide signature --

LenG

LeonardoG's gear list:LeonardoG's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Jogger
OP Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441

Liviu Namolovan wrote:

I cannot get it at all. Why would anyone shoot a funeral? Who would like to remember "how it was at the funeral?" Anyway, I have to give credit to the fact that a Df is better tool to shoot a funeral than a D700 is.

Not sure about the customs you are used too.. but, this one was more of a memorial service than a funeral... i.e. it wasnt a funeral procession and burial of the coffin.. but, more gathering of many lifelong friends, some speeches, singing, lots of tears but also lots of laughs from good memories, etc. There were family from overseas that have not been together in many years. Grand kids that have too grown fast, etc.

One major difference from a wedding (or more joyous event) is that NO ONE else is taking photos.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
RightLight Regular Member • Posts: 298
Don't leave Df on in your bag!

Once I decided to go full frame from my D7000, I got really split between Df and D800. Rented both, one at a time. I loved its soft shutter sound, excellent pictures, low MP. I also liked its retro look and slightly light weight. However, I felt (especially the grip) that I had to give up the ease of handling significantly, especially with fast zoom (my 24-70/2.8), in the name of the nice retro look. It is excellent with light prime lenses if you have a D800/700 as a second body for heavy lifting. I couldn't afford both and went for D800E.

For me, an annoying thing about Df results from its projected long shutter button. I had put Df attached to 24-70 in a holster type bag. I heard some sound when I was got out of my car and walking the parking lot. As the holster dangled around my hip, the camera was firing in burst! I normally do not turn camera off and it was in the high burst mode. It was firing right in the car but I thought it was some sound from my daughter's ipad game. When I got home, I noticed that it had fired slightly below 200 shots and that was before I realized it was the camera!

RightLight's gear list:RightLight's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads