Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC For Nikon With Chip New

Started Mar 10, 2014 | Discussions
wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097
Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC For Nikon With Chip New

Anyone with experience and comment about the Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC For Nikon With Chip? Too late, spur of the moment I bought it in eBay. How does it compare to the $1400 Nikon lens? I got high reading, yes, Ken Rockwell, about wide angle lens. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm

I plan on taking it mounted to the D600 with me to EU to take pictures inside the many cathedrals.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
karl eller
karl eller Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC For Nikon With Chip New

Rokinon lenses are re-branded Samyang lenses, and there have been a lot of positive reviews for the Samyang 14mm f/2.8.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
TQGroup
TQGroup Senior Member • Posts: 1,468

I have this lens as a Samyang AE model and happily use it on my D600. This lens has significant distortion and so it may not be that suitable for architectural use but for landscapes it is very good indeed. The distortion is correctable in post but you must leave a margin on each shot to allow the necessary cropping to take place. The review at Lenstip is informative: http://www.lenstip.com/239.6-Lens_review-Samyang_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_AS_IF_UMC_Distortion.html.

Photozone DE also reviews the lens and provides similar advice: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff.

I do not use this lens for architectural use but I have been told (disclaimer!) that the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 lens profile works well for it in your favourite post processing (bug-fixing) program.

Attached pix is a downsized test shot I took at home with the obligatory brick wall... the complex distortion is very visible. May I suggest you do the homework on post processing before your trip so you can optimise your framing?

Samyang 14 F2.8 OOC reduced size

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +24 more
Nyarlathotep Regular Member • Posts: 493

wasserball wrote:

Anyone with experience and comment about the Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC For Nikon With Chip? Too late, spur of the moment I bought it in eBay. How does it compare to the $1400 Nikon lens? I got high reading, yes, Ken Rockwell, about wide angle lens. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm

I plan on taking it mounted to the D600 with me to EU to take pictures inside the many cathedrals.

The Samyang/Rokinon/Bower performs very well full frame. In fact I think a lot better than the Nikon equivalent when it comes to resolution and CA control. with a few caveats of course:

- The Rokinon has more distortion, it is the wavy/mustache type too, as compared to the Nikon 14mm. So if you are shooting architecture, be prepared for some post processing. More than the Nikon 14 or 14-24 would require for the same shot.

- The Rokinon of course does not have AF. When I use this wide of a lens, that really isn's important for me since I never shoot fast action with them, but it may impact other people's shooting styles.

Personally if I had to spring for a 14mm lens, I would hit up a chipped version of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm well before the Nikon 14mm most every day of the week. In fact, I would skip the nikon 14 and get the 14-24 if I had that kind of money money. It is better than the 14mm Nikon in most every way and it zooms. Crazy good that lens is, although the Rokinon gives the 14-24 a run for its money at 14mm f/2.8 on a resolution basis, but it loses on distortion.

+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
Aaron Killen

Nyarlathotep's gear list:Nyarlathotep's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +15 more
joebat Contributing Member • Posts: 623

I have de Samyang 14 and for the price and optics ; I love it.

Look here : http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=909272&page=1

Some examples of mine :

joebat's gear list:joebat's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Topaz Adjust Topaz DeNoise Topaz Detail +3 more
OP wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097

great shot.  I like the color rendition of the cliff over the sea.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
chili5555 Forum Member • Posts: 96

Nyarlathotep wrote:

Personally if I had to spring for a 14mm lens, I would hit up a chipped version of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm well before the Nikon 14mm most every day of the week. In fact, I would skip the nikon 14

Exactly! I have and love the Rokinon variant. It is my 'go to' for Milky Way shots and, in my opinion, does a great job. The lenstip review is particularly complimentary of the relatively low coma.

I believe a distortion correction profile exists, perhaps in ptlens.

Here is my favorite: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chili5558/7665576610/in/photolist-cFo5RY-cjNajN-chBRvJ-bVXomB/lightbox/

chili5555's gear list:chili5555's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,524

wasserball --

As Aaron and others have said, the Nikon chipped version of this lens is really more than satisfactory; a fine selection indeed. I've owned one (Bower) for two years and shot it first on a d7000 and now on a d600. Used correctly, it is edge-to-edge sharp and a reasonably fast optic to boot. But i am not, ah, one that overlooks its flaws/challenges in use. To wit:

• Focussing is a challenge, or rather finding a focussing algorithm that works with your body is. This distance scale is a suggestion for a comedy of errors (and creative profanity). Seriously, the lens scale is way, way, off. To find infinity is the first challenge; the huge throw within the phase detect "eye" is the next. You must experiment with your body. My hint: search for a micro-focus adjustment that puts the "in focus" at one of the (two) transition points to the focus eye. it is worth the effort: the lens is crazy sharp . . . but only if focused.
  • On the distortion . . . embrace it and cheat. i did. i bought DxO; you might try LR and the correction modules. Whatever. Outsource on this; you will go crazy trying to correct it.
  • Understand that you cannot cheat Gawd at this FOV: prepare to spend some time with your PP software to correct "distorted" (not really) perspectives for what people expect to see in print.

Really, that is it. AF is silly at these focal lengths in my experience. A charming -- and unexpected to moi -- benefit is the ability to use Nikon's CLS system with the lens. Seriously: one of the most important uses i have for the lens is indoor groups and CLS helps a heck of a lot.

If Nikon had half a brain they would publish their interface specs to encourage lenses like this. Our Canon friends have to manually move aperture to use this lens. Ouch. The mechanical diaphram in the Nikon mount is a real benefit for simple lenses that advanced amatuers use only occaisionally. I would never pay mega bucks for a Nikon of this focal length, but i would stay with a mount that encouraged this type of lens . . . (umm, my other Samyang lens is a f6.3 500mm; a dog.  okay, yah can't win them all)

Just saying . . .

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Joe Huckleberry Regular Member • Posts: 210

I like the lens. Here are a couple shots.

This is with the first lens B&H sent me. I returned it, zoom in and the left side of the frame is mush, all angles and f-stops I tried, the left side was bad. But you can see the distortion. The bricks are a bit on the wavy side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-crosland/11600395166/

This is with the second lens that B&H sent me and and has distortion corrected with dxo. I like the second lens they sent me. Minimal sharpening here on top of the "dxo lens softness correction."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-crosland/12182972233/

There was a small manual focus learning curve for me. Not bad. The more difficult part is getting close to something at f2.8 and keeping it in focus. A tri/monopod helps a lot with that.

But your question was, how does it compare to the nikon 14mm. I am curious now, I should go rent one from Glazers for the fun of it. I bet it ain't $1000 better, at least not for my use.

OP wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097
Thank you all...

for the positive feedback on this lens.  It will be a learning experience for me coming from 300mm and 400mm lens, but the reward from this 14mm lens will be great.  I hope I can be creative as some of the photos that were posted here or linked.

With this lens focusing is not a problem: choose eg f8 and 2 meters and everything from 1m to infinity is in focus.

The distance scale on my lens is correct: re-measured with the meter and correct to 3 meters. I use DXO for distortion and am satisfied. You can also use PTlens.

success

gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,524

joebat wrote:

With this lens focusing is not a problem: choose eg f8 and 2 meters and everything from 1m to infinity is in focus.

The distance scale on my lens is correct: re-measured with the meter and correct to 3 meters. I use DXO for distortion and am satisfied. You can also use PTlens.

success

Joe --

My lens is two years old and, at least at that time, my experience with the scale was typical.  Careful -- and rather tedious -- testing with mine showed the infinity at about the two meter point on the scale.  This was fairly typical for the lenses being turned out in that era and, er, Bower/Samyang did not have a good warrantee reputation.

Hyperfocal rules are not something i embrace:  hyperfocal "in focus" means that you aren't getting the best out of the lens with this generation of sub-five micron sensors.  At this focal length, of course, sloppy focussing can be tolerated but if you, say, are doing architecture/indoors i think that coming up with a focussing method that can be relied upon (such as the edge transition that i mentioned) is more than worth the effort.  Maybe it doesn't matter so much to others.

Even outdoors, though, you need to know your infinity.  I sure hope that the Koreans have corrected their manufacturing processes and the newer samples are like yours.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more

Thanks for your comment. Yesterday I did some tests  but I still need to see the results. Hyoperfocaal focus is "easy"l, but indeed not always useful. I will also continue to figure out what results I get from focussing with the help of the green dot.

Josh SZ
Josh SZ Regular Member • Posts: 119

Hi,

I have just bought a Rokinon 14 mm F/2.8 lens for my D600. Normally the 24-120 F/4 is the lens on my D600 most time.

This Rokinon 14 mm F/2.8 is my first manual focus lens so the learning curve is pretty steep. I feel it is almost impossible to do focusing by the OVF. I have to depend on the green LED in the OVF window for focus assistance. When using the green LED, it still have quite plays as you turn the focus ring. I would like to know how you use this indicator. Is the focus point when you just get the green LED turned to solid or the middle point between two turning edges that green LED change status?

I also read the infinity is not the mark indicated on the lens body but between the infinity mark and 3m mark. What is the best way to find that position?

My initial experience with the lens is when use it F/8 or smaller the pictures are reasonably sharp. But at f2.8 the picture is not sharp at all. I don’t know if it is a bad copy or it is because I have not learned how to do it correctly. Hope I can get some help here. Thanks.

Josh SZ's gear list:Josh SZ's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +5 more
Nyarlathotep Regular Member • Posts: 493

Josh SZ wrote:

Hi,

I have just bought a Rokinon 14 mm F/2.8 lens for my D600. Normally the 24-120 F/4 is the lens on my D600 most time.

This Rokinon 14 mm F/2.8 is my first manual focus lens so the learning curve is pretty steep. I feel it is almost impossible to do focusing by the OVF. I have to depend on the green LED in the OVF window for focus assistance. When using the green LED, it still have quite plays as you turn the focus ring. I would like to know how you use this indicator. Is the focus point when you just get the green LED turned to solid or the middle point between two turning edges that green LED change status?

I also read the infinity is not the mark indicated on the lens body but between the infinity mark and 3m mark. What is the best way to find that position?

My initial experience with the lens is when use it F/8 or smaller the pictures are reasonably sharp. But at f2.8 the picture is not sharp at all. I don’t know if it is a bad copy or it is because I have not learned how to do it correctly. Hope I can get some help here. Thanks.

The lens should have very good sharpness straight out at f/2.8. Check your focusing. Live view is your best bet. The distance scales on SamBowRok lenses are always suspect. If you can't get a sharp image with Live View, there may be a problem with the lens.

Distance Scale repair, not for the feint of heart: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Samyang-Walimex-Rokinon-Vivitar-Falcon-14mm-2.8-Focus-Correction.html
Aaron Killen

Nyarlathotep's gear list:Nyarlathotep's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +15 more
chili5555 Forum Member • Posts: 96

Josh SZ wrote:

Because of manufacturing tolerances, the exact point varies slightly from copy to copy. The best way to find where your copy focuses is to use live view to focus on a distant object such as a mountain or the moon and note the position. I suspect that, because of the immense depth of field in a 14mm lens, that infinity focus will not be a single point, but a range.

chili5555's gear list:chili5555's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Josh SZ

Nyarlathotep wrote:

Josh SZ wrote:

Hi,

The lens should have very good sharpness straight out at f/2.8. Check your focusing. Live view is your best bet. The distance scales on SamBowRok lenses are always suspect. If you can't get a sharp image with Live View, there may be a problem with the lens.

Distance Scale repair, not for the feint of heart: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Samyang-Walimex-Rokinon-Vivitar-Falcon-14mm-2.8-Focus-Correction.html
Aaron Killen

Thanks for you excellent advice about manual focus in Live view mode. Now I actually see what I am doing. The testing picture below was taken at F/2.8 with Live view. Do you think it is as sharp as it can get? Sorry to ask such kind of question but I just want to determine the lens I got is acceptable generally to keep. Thanks again.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +5 more
Josh SZ

Chili5555, thank you for the reply. I will keep it in mind. -Josh

Josh SZ

A 100% crop picture attached.

Thnak you.   -Josh

Josh SZ

Hi, Thanks to the helps from this forum and I learned how to better handle this Rokinon 14mm lens. I went out and took some pictures and got satisfactory results. I would like to share some pictures with you. All pictures were handheld. Two F/2.8 pictures were using the Live View with manual focus. Others were just set a distance and shot. They were post processed in Lightroom 4. Some also corrected distortion in LR4. It seems I have addiction of fixing distortions created by UWA lens. I guess it will take some time for me to get used to the distortions. I will keep and enjoy the lens.

Anyway here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshua_zhu/sets/72157642769644995/

Thanks.    -Josh

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads