Monitor suggestion?

Started Mar 9, 2014 | Discussions
jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,492
Re: You must use the same driver settings...

Marni wrote:

Gosh I hope you are right. Here is a screen shot of Photoshop 7, I have it and Elements. Is this the right setup if I am printing from there and then choose OFF in my Epson, don't color manage?

Not proof setup. ADOBE RGB would be a better choice.

I don't know about Elements as I do not use it or PS 7, instead use PS Creative Cloud.

This is what the settings should be to print with PS controlling color to the Epson 1400

Profile chosen is Ultra Glossy Photo Paper or UGPP

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

OP Marni Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: You must use the same driver settings...

GREAT.  Now, is this ok?  3 shots of the flow.  THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,070
MS Publisher is NOT color managed.

I just happen to be using MS Pub yeterday and today for sister's invitations. You need to save the MS Pub file as a JPG/TIF and print out of an color managed app to get what you see on the screen.

No MS Office apps print with screen matching colors........

Bob P.

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,492
Re: You must use the same driver settings...

Marni wrote:

GREAT. Now, is this ok? 3 shots of the flow. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

In order to use the profile you said you named "Take 2" the patches that you printed to scan would have had to be printed with the same settings you are now trying to use.

So if you made the profile for Epson Ultra Glossy Photo Paper

Your driver should have been set to the Same Paper choice ( not profile ) at a specific paper quality setting such as Photo or best Photo and ICM to OFF. If you did not use those setting during the printing of the color patches then your current profile is basically useless.

So let's do this. Please tell us the paper you are trying to print to and if it is EPSON you can always use one of their canned ICC profiles that were installed when you installed the printer driver for EPSON 1400

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,070
The Op is using 3rd party ink....

Yes, he needs to reprofile!

Bob P.

OP Marni Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: You must use the same driver settings...

I am using Costco Paper and 3rd party ink Inkjetfly CISS system.

I profiled using that paper.  When I ran the printer profile program I did not run the extended grey's. I am using the Spyder print and Spyder Pro to calibrate the monitor.  Should I run a new profile using the extended greys?  I wonder if that will help with the purple cast I have to the photos?

Marni wrote:

GREAT. Now, is this ok? 3 shots of the flow. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

In order to use the profile you said you named "Take 2" the patches that you printed to scan would have had to be printed with the same settings you are now trying to use.

So if you made the profile for Epson Ultra Glossy Photo Paper

Your driver should have been set to the Same Paper choice ( not profile ) at a specific paper quality setting such as Photo or best Photo and ICM to OFF. If you did not use those setting during the printing of the color patches then your current profile is basically useless.

So let's do this. Please tell us the paper you are trying to print to and if it is EPSON you can always use one of their canned ICC profiles that were installed when you installed the printer driver for EPSON 1400

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

OP Marni Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Monitor suggestion?

I am going to do the following:

I am printing a new profile and I am going to use the 225 patch, each patch read one at a time, and I am going to use the extended grey as well.

I set up the print in Spyder print to the following:

Premium Glossy Paper

High Speed Off

ICM,  OFF  NO COLOR MANAGMENT.  I am assuming that means that Spyder is controlling the print and there are no drivers involved.

I am going to let the paper dry overnight and then do the profiling tomorrow.

I will then print a photo from Photoshop7 using the following:

in the Print With Preview screen:

I will have show more options checked

Color Management

Source Space:  Document Adobe RGE 1998

Print Space: WILL BE MY NEW PROFILE NAME

Intent: Saturation.  For some reason Spyder Print wants that.

Use Black Point Compensation.

THEN IN MY EPSON PRINTER SETTINGS

I will choose:

Premium Glossy Paper

ICM OFF NO COLOR MANAGMENT.

Does all this sound right? THANKs again!!!!

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,492
Re: You must use the same driver settings...

Marni wrote:

I am using Costco Paper and 3rd party ink Inkjetfly CISS system.

I profiled using that paper. When I ran the printer profile program I did not run the extended grey's. I am using the Spyder print and Spyder Pro to calibrate the monitor. Should I run a new profile using the extended greys? I wonder if that will help with the purple cast I have to the photos?

Marni wrote:

GREAT. Now, is this ok? 3 shots of the flow. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

In order to use the profile you said you named "Take 2" the patches that you printed to scan would have had to be printed with the same settings you are now trying to use.

So if you made the profile for Epson Ultra Glossy Photo Paper

Your driver should have been set to the Same Paper choice ( not profile ) at a specific paper quality setting such as Photo or best Photo and ICM to OFF. If you did not use those setting during the printing of the color patches then your current profile is basically useless.

So let's do this. Please tell us the paper you are trying to print to and if it is EPSON you can always use one of their canned ICC profiles that were installed when you installed the printer driver for EPSON 1400

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Just be 100% sure you are using the correct settings for printing out your initial color patches.

Once your color patches are printed and scanned and the profile is generated and stored, be 100% that you then print your images using that SAME EXACT settings you used to create the printer profile with.

So you should chose one of EPSON's Glossy Paper choices ( Since you are using Kirkland Glossy ) and Best Photo to print the charts. ICM set to OFF!!!!!!

Then when you print out of PS 7 go to the printer driver ( EPSON 1400 ) and choose the same paper and quality choice and in ICM, once again turn it OFF. Then I PS7 printer dialogue choose to let PS control color and then choose the profile you created.

Black point comp set to ON and use either Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,070
Yes, that is correct....

Marni wrote:

I am going to do the following:

I am printing a new profile and I am going to use the 225 patch, each patch read one at a time, and I am going to use the extended grey as well.

I set up the print in Spyder print to the following:

Premium Glossy Paper

High Speed Off

ICM, OFF NO COLOR MANAGMENT. I am assuming that means that Spyder is controlling the print and there are no drivers involved.

I am going to let the paper dry overnight and then do the profiling tomorrow.

I will then print a photo from Photoshop7 using the following:

in the Print With Preview screen:

I will have show more options checked

Color Management

Source Space: Document Adobe RGE 1998

Print Space: WILL BE MY NEW PROFILE NAME

Intent: Saturation. For some reason Spyder Print wants that.

Use Black Point Compensation.

THEN IN MY EPSON PRINTER SETTINGS

I will choose:

Premium Glossy Paper

ICM OFF NO COLOR MANAGMENT.

Does all this sound right? THANKs again!!!!

You now seem to understand waht is going on.

I have a Spyder cal system but prefer my Xrite equipment.

Yes for some strange reason the Spyder wants you to print with Saturation intent.  Just print that test photo that Hugo had you download with all intents and black point comp on/off and see which ones matches your monitor the best.

Good luck!

Bob P.

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,492
Re: Monitor suggestion?

Marni wrote:

I am going to do the following:

I am printing a new profile and I am going to use the 225 patch, each patch read one at a time, and I am going to use the extended grey as well.

I set up the print in Spyder print to the following:

Premium Glossy Paper

High Speed Off

ICM, OFF NO COLOR MANAGMENT. I am assuming that means that Spyder is controlling the print and there are no drivers involved.

I am going to let the paper dry overnight and then do the profiling tomorrow.

I will then print a photo from Photoshop7 using the following:

in the Print With Preview screen:

I will have show more options checked

Color Management

Source Space: Document Adobe RGE 1998

If that is what you have PS set to!

Print Space: WILL BE MY NEW PROFILE NAME

It is not called Print Space but simply profile. But still yes you will choose your profile.

Intent: Saturation. For some reason Spyder Print wants that.

Use Black Point Compensation.

THEN IN MY EPSON PRINTER SETTINGS

I will choose:

Premium Glossy Paper

ICM OFF NO COLOR MANAGMENT.

Does all this sound right? THANKs again!!!!

Unless I missed something, that is about it!

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

OP Marni Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Monitor suggestion?

And the results......................................................

Excellent print, just a tad dark, but the colors are spot on, I am very excited. Guess I was double profiling without knowing it. Thanks so much to everyone. The test print was much better as well, it was just slightly purple cast in the grey's , much improved from the first profile. I profiled using the extended grey's this time and I think it made a difference for sure.

Guess my monitor is ok, I will take your advice however and look at the ASUS when I need to buy it.

Thanks so all your help.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads