40 years of technology

Started Mar 8, 2014 | Discussions
petersolymosi
petersolymosi Regular Member • Posts: 312
40 years of technology

Here's a photo of my first and oldest camera alongside my newest camera, the OM-D E-M10. For the sake of an even comparison I even matched up the lenses as close as possible. The Chinon is wearing a 55mm f/1.7 and the Olympus is sporting the 25mm f/1.8. I was almost tempted to go the way of the Fuji XT-1 (and there are a lot of nice things about that camera) but I absolutely love the size advantage of the M4/3 bodies and especially lenses.

Anyone else have any old cameras lying around? Post 'em here...

Chinon CE-3 with 55mm f/1.7 and Olympus OM-D E-M10 with 25mm f/1.8

petersolymosi's gear list:petersolymosi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +13 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kari Selovuo
Kari Selovuo New Member • Posts: 20
Re: 40 years of technology

You asked for it

My first SLR, a Nikkormat Ftn together with my EM-5. As a bonus my Nikon S which is just a collectible. It has a rare 9 digit serial number. The Ftn and Nikon S are still functional although the S has a sticky shutter. So it's mechanically ok but not really working...

Nikkormat Ftn with Nikon 50mm F2 and EM-5

Nikon S rangefinder with 5cm f1.4

-- hide signature --

A hobbyist photographer admiring all the beauty in the world
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kariselovuo/

Kari Selovuo's gear list:Kari Selovuo's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
petersolymosi
OP petersolymosi Regular Member • Posts: 312

What a fantastic collection! Those are some really neat cameras. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +13 more
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 3,641

Exakta Varex IIa (vintage ~1960) and Lumix GM1:

For build quality, the Exakta wins by a mile. For overall picture-taking ability and convenience, the Lumix wins by several miles in my opinion.

petersolymosi

Wow! How cool is that?! That is some seriously retro gear.

BTW. I agree about the convenience factor. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

photohounds
photohounds Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Great collections, guys

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Oly and other .. Gear test samples:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +8 more
pdelux Contributing Member • Posts: 696

Thats in great condition for its age! looks almost new, that thing should be in a museum

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +5 more
marcwee
marcwee Regular Member • Posts: 152

My first (Ricoh 500G from 1974) and last camera (G3 with Pana 20mm), both have the same focal length eqv, 40mm.

Grzzl
Grzzl Senior Member • Posts: 2,967
Remarkable

I had a chinon CE II Memotron as a first camera. In the Netherlands not a well known camera. Exept a hard press to release the shutter, it had a lot going for it.

Grzzl's gear list:Grzzl's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
NCV
NCV Senior Member • Posts: 5,573

My first camera was a Pentax Spotmatic that I bought new in 1975 and served me well for many years. It still works.

My latest camera needs no introduction.

http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,028

Here's my Nikon FM2n with a NIKKOR 20mm f2.8 next to my GH2 with 20mm f1.7.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +28 more
smithling Regular Member • Posts: 384

A few Minoltas for you. Beat up, but I'm still taking photos with them all.

smithling Regular Member • Posts: 384

Sweet Ricoh!

Jim Salvas
Jim Salvas Veteran Member • Posts: 5,288
No batteries required

Honeywell Pentax H1a, Retina Reflex III, Exakta VX II a. All mechanical, all still working.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +11 more
petersolymosi
Re: Remarkable

Grzzl wrote:

I had a chinon CE II Memotron as a first camera. In the Netherlands not a well known camera. Exept a hard press to release the shutter, it had a lot going for it.

Yeah, it definitely has a hard press for shutter release. I learned a lot about photography from the Chinon and it certainly provided good, crisp photographs when used well. I may have found the twin to my Chinon as my dad apparently left a whole other kit to my brother upon passing. I'm excited to take a look as he said it looks like one of the lenses was never opened!

Pete

petersolymosi
Re: No batteries required

Wow! Fantastic collection! Looks like we have a lot of nostalgic folks on this forum. Glad to see it.

Pete

Jim Salvas wrote:

Honeywell Pentax H1a, Retina Reflex III, Exakta VX II a. All mechanical, all still working.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,138
60 years of technology

The Voigtländer was my first real camera, I bought it 18 years old (me, the camera was maybe 10 years when I bought it used). It has a Color-Skopar 3,5/45 and a Prontor shutter, 1/300 s. It still works (I think). The Chinon CM-4 was my first slr and a very nice camera but it's broken. It had a very good 50/1,7  that I gave to my son. He uses it on a Pentax ME, when he is not using his 5DII. And then an OM-G I bought in NY, same as OM-10 in Europe. The Sigma 35-70/2,8-4 is not a good lens but it was a cheap kit i couldn't resist at the time. And finally the E-M5 with a 12-40/2,8. It has a JB grip which makes it higher than the OM.

Between the OM and the OMD i had a lot of cameras, 35mm compacts, digital compacts and a couple of dslrs that's not worth showing here. Well, the 40D with some nice lenses was okay but I sold it when I got the E-M5. Of all my cameras I have owned I really liked the Voigtländer and the Chinon at to some extent the 40D. I was never friend with the OM-G, probably because of the slow and soft lens. I hade a tele lens (135 mm) as well but it was even worse. The E-M5 with the 12-40/2,8 is the best camera I have ever used.

Sorry for the IQ. Shot with a Samsung S3

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
petersolymosi
Re: 60 years of technology

Nice Collection Mats. That Voigtlander is ultra stylish. I'm glad to see you also used a Chinon. It's amazing to me that the lenses for the Chinon were so good - the sharpness of the 55mm f/1.7 is really quite impressive. It made learning with this camera a real joy.

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

MatsP wrote:

The Voigtländer was my first real camera, I bought it 18 years old (me, the camera was maybe 10 years when I bought it used). It has a Color-Skopar 3,5/45 and a Prontor shutter, 1/300 s. It still works (I think). The Chinon CM-4 was my first slr and a very nice camera but it's broken. It had a very good 50/1,7 that I gave to my son. He uses it on a Pentax ME, when he is not using his 5DII. And then an OM-G I bought in NY, same as OM-10 in Europe. The Sigma 35-70/2,8-4 is not a good lens but it was a cheap kit i couldn't resist at the time. And finally the E-M5 with a 12-40/2,8. It has a JB grip which makes it higher than the OM.

Between the OM and the OMD i had a lot of cameras, 35mm compacts, digital compacts and a couple of dslrs that's not worth showing here. Well, the 40D with some nice lenses was okay but I sold it when I got the E-M5. Of all my cameras I have owned I really liked the Voigtländer and the Chinon at to some extent the 40D. I was never friend with the OM-G, probably because of the slow and soft lens. I hade a tele lens (135 mm) as well but it was even worse. The E-M5 with the 12-40/2,8 is the best camera I have ever used.

Sorry for the IQ. Shot with a Samsung S3

onlooker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,997

Alas, no longer have it around, and it is considerably older than 40 years, but this was my first camera:

Korelle K 18 x 24 mm

The only difference was that mine had a Tessar lens (they were interchangeable).

dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,653
From OM to EM

from Pen to Pen

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads