Stabilisation

Started Mar 8, 2014 | Discussions
rz350 Regular Member • Posts: 136
Stabilisation

Someone asked why I had SIS enabled on my EP-5 because this seemed to cause the shutter shock at 1/250 sec (vertical movement of the photo) with my 9-18 lens and which did not occur on either my e-pm1 or gf-3. Question? How many Olympus users regardless of camera turn the stabilisation off and only use it in low light situations?

How many like me leave it on all the time?

I used my E-PM1 with it always enabled and can't complain about the the results. It has other failings, but IS wasn't one of them.

I would like for DPREVIEW to comment on whether they leave IS on all the time because they stated they had shutter shock symptoms at what should be shutter speeds that would not seem to require IS. My curiousity has been aroused.

Perhaps Olympus can do a firmware update that will turn IS off at shutter speeds deemed safe enough not to require it.

And if you are in denial regarding shutter shock syndrome, please disregard the shutter shock syndrome stuff and respond to the IS question.

Regards

Dave

rz350's gear list:rz350's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6
Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,685
Copied from other thread....

Just noticed this thread, I responded in the other. Just to make this one complete I'll copy the text across, modified a little.

rz350 wrote:

You have raised an interesting point. Toss it out to the forum. How many people turn the stabilisation off and on?

I do.

Two most used MySets on my E-PL5 Mode dial are an everyday A mode without stabilisation, and ditto setup but with stabilisation. So all I do is twist the dial to and fro to have stabilisation on or off.

Mostly off unless I see a need to use it or the last result was shaky so need to turn it on.

That habit hangs over from my E-PL1 where in testing at all shutter speeds for stabilisation limits I found that having stabilisation on was adding a tiny amount of blur to every image at safe shutter speeds.

So I leave it off as much as I can.

In my case the old 2 axis IBIS and also a couple of OIS lenses, but mostly use the 12-40/2.8, which in itself is a good stabiliser because of its weight. So far have not bothered to repeat the experiments with the E-PL5, I just play safe and leave IBIS off most of the time.

Above is for stills. For video I use the E-PL5 pixel shifting stabilisation with the Oly lenses and that seems to work better now than it did on earlier bodies. With Panasonic lenses I use the OIS of course.

Shutter shock, maybe seen it once or twice, I don't go looking for it, and I don't try to avoid it. Mostly it's blur due to my movement or IBIS action, subject movement or misfocus.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Kweide
Kweide Senior Member • Posts: 1,787
Re: Stabilisation
 Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,685

Kweide wrote:

Read this:

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpen-and-tell.blogspot.de%2F2014%2F03%2Fshutter-shock-bei-der-e-m1.html

-- hide signature --

More of my work can be see her: ( some NSFW )
http://www.klaweide.de/

Some people spend their life looking for faults, others just go take photos.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Kweide
Kweide Senior Member • Posts: 1,787

Guy Parsons wrote:

Kweide wrote:

Read this:

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpen-and-tell.blogspot.de%2F2014%2F03%2Fshutter-shock-bei-der-e-m1.html

-- hide signature --

Some people spend their life looking for faults, others just go take photos.

Regards....... Guy

Agree 100 %

They buy cams for testing not for making pictures

-- hide signature --

Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,389

rz350 wrote:

Someone asked why I had SIS enabled on my EP-5 because this seemed to cause the shutter shock at 1/250 sec (vertical movement of the photo) with my 9-18 lens and which did not occur on either my e-pm1 or gf-3. Question? How many Olympus users regardless of camera turn the stabilisation off and only use it in low light situations?

I used my E-PM1 with it always enabled and can't complain about the the results. It has other failings, but IS wasn't one of them.

Dave

I leave it on almost all the time.  I do a lot of wildlife/bird photography where sitting birds move or fly requiring quick changes is shutter speed (shutter preferred) and there is no time to turn on or off the IBIS, since I am busy changing shutter speeds and exposure with the two dials.  I did tests with my E5 with IBIS on and off at various shutter speeds and could never see any negative effect.  I haven't repeated the tests yet with the E-M1, but it is simple to do with a good test pattern and I will probably eventually repeat the tests with it.  When I am using my 12-60 lens with high shutter speeds in daylight, I sometimes turn it off.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,536
Me = off

rz350 wrote:

I leave the IBIS turned off on my E-P3 at all times unless it is an "emergency" situation.

The 2-way IBIS is practically useless in most situations, and to my mind having it on is creating as many problems as it is solving. Specifically, it introduces the risk of shutter shock and uses battery juice. Also, I often shoot from tripods and other stable surfaces, when IS and IBIS should be turned off anyway, and if it wasn't already turned off then I would forget.

I do use the IS on my 12-35, but I've only had that lens for a week ...

S

I would like for DPREVIEW to comment on whether they leave IS on all the time because they stated they had shutter shock symptoms at what should be shutter speeds that would not seem to require IS. My curiousity has been aroused.

Perhaps Olympus can do a firmware update that will turn IS off at shutter speeds deemed safe enough not to require it.

And if you are in denial regarding shutter shock syndrome, please disregard the shutter shock syndrome stuff and respond to the IS question.

Regards

Dave

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,403

With my EPM1 and EPL5, I leave the IBIS Off most of the time as I do see issues at "normal" shutter speeds. I only turn it On when using slow shutter speeds.

With OIS, I usually leave it ON all the time.

So, with my EPL5 and 14-45, I normally have IBIS OFF, OIS ON.

Allan

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

rz350 wrote:

Regards

Dave

I leave it on all the time (E-M5 IBIS, 14-45 OIS, 100-300 OIS) except when I have two stabilization systems to choose between and one must be turned off for obvious reasons. I have never seen any clear-cut evidence, neither in my own testing nor that of others, that stabilization makes the effect of shutter shock worse than it would otherwise be. I have one, but only one, example where the stabilization system actually mitigates the shutter-shock problem (14-45 OIS).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
bgalb
bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,122

+1.  I leave IBIS on all the time with my E-M5. No exceptions, including tripod use.  Since the upgrade of the firmware on the 100-300 lens, maybe I should use the OIS instead of IBIS.  Have not tested to confirm.

Haven't used the E-M1 enough yet to come to any conclusions re: stabilization.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +3 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,010

rz350 wrote:

Regards

Dave

Mine is on all the time. I have a E-PM1 and E-PM2. As far as Shutter shock goes at 1\250th of a second I went through my library and I can't find any instance of "shutter shock" at that speed or at any speed for that matter and if it is happening I can't tell by looking at the photos. I am at a lose to understand what all the furor is about. I just take pictures and don't worry about it.

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

bgalb wrote:

+1. I leave IBIS on all the time with my E-M5. No exceptions, including tripod use. Since the upgrade of the firmware on the 100-300 lens, maybe I should use the OIS instead of IBIS. Have not tested to confirm.

In my experience/testing, the E-M5 IBIS and 100-300 OIS (with upgraded firmware) are roughly on a par. If I want tack-sharp results, it is of little use to try anything slower than 1/320 or 1/250 hand-held. Below that, shutter-shock spoils the fun no matter which stabilization system I use.

Haven't used the E-M1 enough yet to come to any conclusions re: stabilization.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads