Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

Started Mar 6, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
alain durand Regular Member • Posts: 257
Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000
3

Picked up my D4s today, I wanted to see how it cold handle the combo 80-400mm AF-S VR with the TC14 II. Here is the result, ISO 16,000, 550mm, f/11 at 1/8000s

Straight out of camera, just resized.

Enjoy!

Alain.

 alain durand's gear list:alain durand's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +14 more
Nikon D4S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mais51
mais51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,724
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

Wow - pin sharp - thanks for posting.

Question is how much better if you drop the shutter speed to 1/400 and lower the ISO to 800 ?

The real test is when you have to shoot at the lowest hand holdable speed say 1/100, F8 and 16,000 ISO to get a picture.

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
alain durand OP Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000
2

mais51 wrote:

Wow - pin sharp - thanks for posting.

Question is how much better if you drop the shutter speed to 1/400 and lower the ISO to 800 ?

The real test is when you have to shoot at the lowest hand holdable speed say 1/100, F8 and 16,000 ISO to get a picture.

I have a bunch of shots at various ISO between 3,200 and 16,000 and honestly, there is not that much of a difference...

I used 1/8000s because I was trying to get a picture of those birds taking off...

Here is one, without the TC, at ISO 5600. Slightly cropped. 320mm, 1/8000s f/8.0

Alain.

 alain durand's gear list:alain durand's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +14 more
mais51
mais51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,724
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

alain durand wrote:

mais51 wrote:

Wow - pin sharp - thanks for posting.

Question is how much better if you drop the shutter speed to 1/400 and lower the ISO to 800 ?

The real test is when you have to shoot at the lowest hand holdable speed say 1/100, F8 and 16,000 ISO to get a picture.

I have a bunch of shots at various ISO between 3,200 and 16,000 and honestly, there is not that much of a difference...

I used 1/8000s because I was trying to get a picture of those birds taking off...

Here is one, without the TC, at ISO 5600. Slightly cropped. 320mm, 1/8000s f/8.0

Alain.

Thank you so much Alain, what I want to see is how the camera as a whole preforms under extreme low light conditions - the thing is that the advantage of having an superb CMOS is somewhat compromised if the AF can't handle extreme low light condition

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
Bruce Bracken
Bruce Bracken Regular Member • Posts: 313
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

alain durand wrote:

Picked up my D4s today, I wanted to see how it cold handle the combo 80-400mm AF-S VR with the TC14 II. Here is the result, ISO 16,000, 550mm, f/11 at 1/8000s

Straight out of camera, just resized.

Enjoy!

Alain.

Very impressed - thanks for sharing!

alain durand OP Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000
1

Thank you so much Alain, what I want to see is how the camera as a whole preforms under extreme low light conditions - the thing is that the advantage of having an superb CMOS is somewhat compromised if the AF can't handle extreme low light condition

Ok, I made a test to show low light focusing... No birds available at this time of the day, so this is a static subject, at home, with only one light about 25-23' away.

I used the sigma 35mm f/1.4 art, ISO 36,204, 1/60s f/1.4 AF-C, single captor, centered.

Alain

 alain durand's gear list:alain durand's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +14 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

We don't even have a price for it in New Zealand yet, much less actual stock!

Defender13 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

My goodness, this what I get with my D700 @3200 asa. It make me want to buy one 

 Defender13's gear list:Defender13's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
mais51
mais51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,724
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

MPA1 wrote:

We don't even have a price for it in New Zealand yet, much less actual stock!

Come over here to Sydney.  In stock at Nikononbroadway.com.au for $6,700AUD.

Wish I have the money for it 

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
crosstype Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

Nice one

 crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

mais51 wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

We don't even have a price for it in New Zealand yet, much less actual stock!

Come over here to Sydney. In stock at Nikononbroadway.com.au for $6,700AUD.

Wish I have the money for it

Yeah, nah...! I think my D3s and D3x still have plenty of mileage in them!

And I don't have a bird feeder...

antonoat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,664
Alain.....

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this thread, it's much appreciated.

If you get time in the future it would be interesting to see how you get on with the new camera.

Kind regards

Tony

Strategist Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: Alain.....

Alain, thanks for posting these. The low light, hi ISO indoor example is very impressive. I hope to have mine later today and will check out some action shots of wildlife.--
Tom

 Strategist's gear list:Strategist's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +5 more
InTheMist
InTheMist Senior Member • Posts: 3,078
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

Thanks for posting - that looks excellent for the conditions.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

 InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more
Humours Dip Senior Member • Posts: 1,352
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

alain durand wrote:

Picked up my D4s today, I wanted to see how it cold handle the combo 80-400mm AF-S VR with the TC14 II. Here is the result, ISO 16,000, 550mm, f/11 at 1/8000s

Straight out of camera, just resized.

Enjoy!

Alain.

Nice pair of tits. Surprisingly sharp.

I was once out walking with a friend and his wife. I heard two Great Tits, and exclaimed "Great tits". I got a very funny look.

Dewcal Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

Alain,

Thanks for posting this low light shot - much more of a test (IMHO) than high ISO with lot's of light.  All I need to do now is sell the D3 and do some busking.....

Dave

alain durand OP Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Alain.....
1

antonoat wrote:

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this thread, it's much appreciated.

If you get time in the future it would be interesting to see how you get on with the new camera.

Kind regards

Tony

Most welcome! I'll go out today and shoot some more with another lens (300mm f/2.8 + TC2.0III). I'll post some more pictures.

Alain.

 alain durand's gear list:alain durand's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +14 more
Photorealm Contributing Member • Posts: 942
Re: Alain.....

alain durand wrote:

Most welcome! I'll go out today and shoot some more with another lens (300mm f/2.8 + TC2.0III). I'll post some more pictures.

Alain.

I'd be very interested in seeing the results and how that combo performs, especially in the shadows around the 6400 ISO level.

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,916
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000

Since I have the d4, I'd like to see a comparison for the d4 versus the d4s at reasonable iso's of say an iso of 3,200 to 12,800.  Just of the d4s doesn't tell me much although I will not be buying the d4s because of my financial status.

Thanks for your example.

Larry

 larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +6 more
Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,033
Re: Nikon D4s + 80-400mm AF-S VR + TC1.4II ISO 16,000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads