Anyone else want a Stylus 1 minus EVF?

Started Mar 6, 2014 | Discussions
glaebhoerl Regular Member • Posts: 105
Anyone else want a Stylus 1 minus EVF?

In theory, I like an EVF. I even bought the external one (VF-2) for my XZ-1.

But in everything, there are tradeoffs. With the Stylus 1 these tradeoffs include the effective size of the camera being significantly larger along both its height and depth, by a degree which in my case likely makes the difference between a camera I can take with me everywhere, and one which I probably wouldn't.

Chopping off the EVF should also take a big chunk out of the price and weight, which I wouldn't mind either.

Basically a Stylus 1-without-EVF, being not much bigger than an XZ-1 but with much greater range, would be close to my ideal take-everywhere camera, but with the EVF, it's too big. So I'm sad.

I haven't noticed anyone else expressing this desire. Am I the only one?

(Edit: All of this still holds even if it also involves losing the flash.)

Olympus Stylus 1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nick Bangkok Regular Member • Posts: 158
Re: Anyone else want a Stylus 1 minus EVF?

Yes, I'd want one too.  It's already a rather big camera for the sensor and the EVF makes it more cumbersome.  Once it's out of the bag it's great.

Remove the EVF, keep all the controls AND the flash.  I found the flash sync at all speed quite handy for fills.

Get the price down, say 20% ?

Nick Bangkok's gear list:Nick Bangkok's gear list
Ricoh CX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +13 more
wymjym Veteran Member • Posts: 5,493
No!...Re: Anyone else want a Stylus 1 minus EVF?

I sure don't but if you must, try out the casio ex100.

you won't be saving any money though

wj

BMWBig6 Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: No!...Re: Anyone else want a Stylus 1 minus EVF?

Yes I'd want one too for the reasons you already mentioned.

-- hide signature --

Ben

BMWBig6's gear list:BMWBig6's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,551
NO, EVF was one of the major reasons I bought the Stylus1

illissius wrote:

But in everything, there are tradeoffs. With the Stylus 1 these tradeoffs include the effective size of the camera being significantly larger along both its height and depth, by a degree which in my case likely makes the difference between a camera I can take with me everywhere, and one which I probably wouldn't.

As I said in another post, the EVF was one of the 3 major reasons I bought the Stylus1:

• EVF so I can use the camera in bright sun (and the EVF works with polarized sunglasses, unlike the VF-2 viewfinder)
  • Reasonable zoom range for an all in one camera
  • Being able to fit in a jacket pocket or small belt pouch

Yes, it is a compromise all-in-one camera.  I went into the store thinking about the larger super-zooms (Fuji S1 or Olympus SP-100), and went away with the Stylus1, as it ticked off many of the things I wanted in a vacation camera.  I have a trip planned to Walt Disney World in May, and I was remembering the last time, lugging two DSLRs to get the range for capturing animals at the Animal Kingdom park.

Is it perfect?  Of course not.  I would have preferred more zoom, and weather sealing and a cheaper price.  But 90% of the shots I have done in the last 12 years are covered by the 28-300mm range, and while I don't like plastic bags, they will suffice for protecting against rain that comes up during the day.  For me, it like coming back to the UZI (C-2100UZ) that I shot with as my primary camera for 5 years, with some additional new features.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
OP glaebhoerl Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: NO, EVF was one of the major reasons I bought the Stylus1

Michael Meissner wrote:

As I said in another post, the EVF was one of the 3 major reasons I bought the Stylus1:

Sure, different people want different things :). (If everyone wanted the same thing the whole industry would be a lot more boring!)

For you, and clearly a whole lot of other people, the EVF is worth the tradeoffs. I'm only wondering whether there's any other people (like me) for who it's not.

(So I'm not saying the Stylus 1-with-EVF shouldn't exist - it should! Rather I'm curious if the Stylus1-without-EVF should also exist, or if I'm the only one who wants it.)

FWIW, I think the fact that you were looking for a superzoom gives it away: in my case the range of alternatives I would consider extends not upwards but downwards, towards the RX100, XQ1, and company (and the Stylus 1 itself is, because of the EVF, just barely too big).

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,593
No way n/t
-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 VA Olympus OM-D E-M10 III
Ben O Connor
Ben O Connor Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: No!...Re: Anyone else want a Stylus 1 minus EVF?

Manufacture exact same camera minus the EVF is not something that Olympus desires in current economical realities.

However, their compact beach is so good that even competitors dressing up original Olympus cameras with their chassis and market them. Pentax and Casio are those companies.

I also liked the idea of XZ-2 body and controls on Stylus 1 without evf but well... A view finder is increasing versatility dramatically, you can't deny that.

Casio ex-100 will be the right direction for such customers. Exactly same lens/sensor combination in rectangular shape. Same brand with my army watch and electronic organ when I was kid though

Regards

Ben (the original )

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,665
Re: NO, EVF was one of the major reasons I bought the Stylus1

Michael Meissner wrote:

illissius wrote:

The same here. Also VF helps with shooting at 300mm zoom.

• EVF so I can use the camera in bright sun (and the EVF works with polarized sunglasses, unlike the VF-2 viewfinder)
  • Reasonable zoom range for an all in one camera
  • Being able to fit in a jacket pocket or small belt pouch

Yes, it is a compromise all-in-one camera. I went into the store thinking about the larger super-zooms (Fuji S1 or Olympus SP-100), and went away with the Stylus1, as it ticked off many of the things I wanted in a vacation camera. I have a trip planned to Walt Disney World in May, and I was remembering the last time, lugging two DSLRs to get the range for capturing animals at the Animal Kingdom park.

Is it perfect? Of course not. I would have preferred more zoom, and weather sealing and a cheaper price. But 90% of the shots I have done in the last 12 years are covered by the 28-300mm range, and while I don't like plastic bags, they will suffice for protecting against rain that comes up during the day. For me, it like coming back to the UZI (C-2100UZ) that I shot with as my primary camera for 5 years, with some additional new features.

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 552

Certainly one of the main reasons, if not the primary reason, that I purchased a Stylus 1 is its great EVF. Otherwise, I never would have purchased the camera. I need a very bright EVF, and the Stylus 1 has the brightest EVF that I have ever used, especially outside. So for me the answer to your question is "no".

David B

aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,665

dbelling wrote:

Certainly one of the main reasons, if not the primary reason, that I purchased a Stylus 1 is its great EVF. Otherwise, I never would have purchased the camera.

I also would not buy it without VF

I need a very bright EVF, and the Stylus 1 has the brightest EVF that I have ever used, especially outside. So for me the answer to your question is "no".

David B

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

To visually substantiate what I mean, here's the side view of the Stylus 1. See how much smaller the whole package becomes with the EVF sliced off (green line)? Going further, you can also imagine the absence of the flip-screen (red line). Suddenly you have a camera that's dramatically smaller, in a different size-class altogether, while still keeping the same optics.

Basically I want a camera that's smaller than the Stylus 1, with the same optics as the Stylus 1.

Aaron Sur Senior Member • Posts: 1,162

Like several folks here have already said it's been released but not under the Olympus label.

same lens same sensor , better IBIS 5 axis as in the OMD EM-5

Aaron Sur wrote:

Like several folks here have already said it's been released but not under the Olympus label.

Right! As far as I know it's not being released outside of Japan though, unfortunately. I'm also not too confident about the Casio brand, but if part / most of it is actually Olympus then I guess it might be OK?

Hatstand Senior Member • Posts: 1,582
Interesting!

Aaron Sur wrote:

About viewfinders:
The last few years I have rarely used a viewfinder, even for airshows (red dot sight instead). I have literally NEVER been forced to use my Panasonic FZ viewfinders due to bright light, even though I have regularly used them in very bright conditions and direct sunlight.

I prefer peripheral vision and situational awareness, to peering through a restrictive viewfinder. I hold the camera out with both hands and the neck strap taut against the back of my neck to make a tension tripod, for stability. I actually find this MORE effective than holding camera to face, when panning with moving subjects.

The only time I have used the FZ viewfinder has been at sit-down indoor sporting events where it's intrusive for your neighbours, to hold your camera out (against its strap for stability)... and its times like that, that mean I must still have a VF...

Quite apart from that - the Stylus 1 screen seems a LOT more susceptible to bright light than my FZ's. I don't know why that is, but I have already been forced to use the EVF several tmes already, due to direct sunlight O_o

About that Casio:
Wow. I need to find out more about that. I could sure use a pocketable version of the Stylus 1. Cutting out the EVF, hotshoe and tilt screen would do nicely! (XZ-10 is almost there, but smaller sensor and not as much reach).

It wouldn't be a replacement for my Stylus 1, but complimentary. There are times I need Stylus 1's EVF, the option of teleconverter, and a hotshoe to mount a red dot sight in. Other times, I could use a pocketable camera... but I'd still like a decent reach, f2.8 constant max aperture, and a bigger sensor than the 1/2.3" we usually get at that size and/or zoom.

That Casio could be just the ticket... O_o It's a bit thick though, still has a tilt screen :-/

australopithecus Contributing Member • Posts: 577

illissius wrote:

Chopping off the EVF should also take a big chunk out of the price and weight, which I wouldn't mind either.

Basically a Stylus 1-without-EVF, being not much bigger than an XZ-1 but with much greater range, would be close to my ideal take-everywhere camera, but with the EVF, it's too big. So I'm sad.

I haven't noticed anyone else expressing this desire. Am I the only one?

(Edit: All of this still holds even if it also involves losing the flash.)

There are enough EVF-less cameras out there in the market.  Go take a look.

-- hide signature --

Dave

australopithecus's gear list:australopithecus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +1 more
skyform Regular Member • Posts: 257

illissius wrote:

To visually substantiate what I mean, here's the side view of the Stylus 1. See how much smaller the whole package becomes with the EVF sliced off (green line)? Going further, you can also imagine the absence of the flip-screen (red line). Suddenly you have a camera that's dramatically smaller, in a different size-class altogether, while still keeping the same optics.

Basically I want a camera that's smaller than the Stylus 1, with the same optics as the Stylus 1.

I was also thinking for quite a while how much smaller it could be without the EVF and the flip screen and it's eating me alive that Olympus didn't make it in two sizes. I really don't understand why they didn't do this because I'm pretty sure that both models would sell, more pro users would buy the bigger one and people who prefer smaller cameras the smaller one.

The Stylus 1 is spec wise almost exactly the camera I want but with the current size I'm not interested, too bad.

skyform's gear list:skyform's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Apple iPhone 5
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,551

illissius wrote:

Looking at the diagram, if I could design a smaller Stylus1 for me, it would be nice if the EVF could flip up, to allow the camera to be narrower.  If the VF-2/VF-3 were actually usable with polarized sunglasses, then having the accessory port would be an option (ala the XZ-1 or Pens), but unfortunately that isn't in the cards.

I probably will never use the flippy lcd either, so eliminating that could also save some space (or at least bring back a more usable flipping LCD like I had on the E-5). It would be nice if it was weather sealed as well. I do wonder if there would have been a way to move the pop-up flash taller when it is popped up (without using an external flash), since it is very close to the lens.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Aaron Sur Senior Member • Posts: 1,162

Casio are one of those companies that slip under the radar for most consumers

About your confidence in them , well they started in 1946 and made the first, yup the first consumer digital camera QV-10 way back in 1995.

Otto
Otto Senior Member • Posts: 1,212

Aaron Sur wrote:

Casio are one of those companies that slip under the radar for most consumers

About your confidence in them , well they started in 1946 and made the first, yup the first consumer digital camera QV-10 way back in 1995.

I disagree that the Casio QV-10 was the first consumer digital camera. That was the second digital camera I bought. My first was the Logitech Fotoman Plus that I purchased in 1993. I recently donated it to a photography museum here in Texas.

Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot A610 Canon PowerShot S400 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Arcsoft Panorama Maker +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads