A bunch of firmware updates

Started Mar 6, 2014 | Discussions
SRT201
SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,515
It's back and renamed correctly

They must have heard us talking.

"k5_2s107.EXE" was just posted on the Ricoh site - replacing the old file.  The page also reflects the version update and the reason - 1.4X rear converter.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

SRT201
Re: K5-II(s) firmware 1.07 PULLED?

Ron,

I only this was my only problem. 

Apparently they noticed at Ricoh and updated the page and firmware file name for the K5IIs. It is now as it should be named. "k5_2s107.EXE"

Scott

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

SRT201
What different animals they are...

K-5 - 2 stage update takes a fair bit of time.

K-5IIs - 3 stage update - seems a bit faster than the K-5 but still takes time.

K-01 - Single stage update done almost instantaneously!

Some seem to think the K-01 was basically the guts of a K-5 with a few tweaks.  The update process alone hints at an entirely different beast.  I think the main processor in the K-01 is probably faster than the K-5's by a good bit.  It was probably needed for Focus peaking.  The memory bandwidth may be as well but the small buffer limits it.

Just an observation from a firmware guy.

-- hide signature --

Peteo
Peteo Senior Member • Posts: 1,865
Re: A bunch of firmware updates

Just uploaded to K5II.  All is well!  

Scott

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +13 more
OP brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337

SRT201 wrote:

Ron,

Apparently they noticed at Ricoh and updated the page and firmware file name for the K5IIs. It is now as it should be named. "k5_2s107.EXE"

Scott,

Right after I made this thread, 21 hours ago, I downloaded k5_2s107.EXE for my K5 IIs. I still have it on my computer as k5_2s107.EXE. That's what is so confusing to me. You made your post after I downladed it. I have looked into it right after you made that claim and it was still k5_2s107.EXE showing on the download site. Oh well. I'm glad that it is clear for you now as it always was clear for me.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

sleepwalker400 Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
THX BRANDIX

K-30 UPDATED no problem   seems better  too .

sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
TomWret
TomWret Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Re: K-5II so far so good *nt

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.
http://photographybythomaswhitehurst.zenfolio.com

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +4 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 12,920

brandrx wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

Ron,

Scott,

Right after I made this thread, 21 hours ago, I downloaded k5_2s107.EXE for my K5 IIs. I still have it on my computer as k5_2s107.EXE. That's what is so confusing to me. You made your post after I downladed it. I have looked into it right after you made that claim and it was still k5_2s107.EXE showing on the download site. Oh well. I'm glad that it is clear for you now as it always was clear for me.

Ron

A lot of people do not 'refresh' the page when they visit it, We already know Ricoh have a long Time To Live set on their page .

This means unless 'refreshed' anyone who regularly visits their support pages will see the cached version from their local machine which of cause will be old versions.

But not a reflection of what actually on Ricohs page at that point in time, Once the time to live expires revisiting the page will automatically cause a refreshed view and viola 'ricoh have now updated'  when in reality nothing of the sort happened and the files had been available for hours/days.

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
Plakanina Contributing Member • Posts: 812
Re: firmware update HELP ME

Still need help. The update file will not stay in the SD card icon, it bounces back to the desktop. The card is formatted. I use Mac and did download the Mac version.

Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.

The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.

• [K-5II] Fwdc216b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
 Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
kriztian Contributing Member • Posts: 949
Re: A bunch of firmware updates

Thanks for telling

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,506

awaldram wrote:

brandrx wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

Ron,

Scott,

Ron

A lot of people do not 'refresh' the page when they visit it, We already know Ricoh have a long Time To Live set on their page .

This means unless 'refreshed' anyone who regularly visits their support pages will see the cached version from their local machine which of cause will be old versions.

Yep - he was seeing an older, cached version. Changes are not always instantly propagated over the Internet, and on your machine

I downloaded the new version just after Ron opened this topic, and everything was OK.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,506
Re: What different animals they are...

SRT201 wrote:

K-5 - 2 stage update takes a fair bit of time.

K-5IIs - 3 stage update - seems a bit faster than the K-5 but still takes time.

K-01 - Single stage update done almost instantaneously!

Some seem to think the K-01 was basically the guts of a K-5 with a few tweaks. The update process alone hints at an entirely different beast. I think the main processor in the K-01 is probably faster than the K-5's by a good bit. It was probably needed for Focus peaking. The memory bandwidth may be as well but the small buffer limits it.

The K-01 has indeed a different processor, PRIME M, than the K-5's PRIME II. It's basically the guts of the K-30, not the K-5.

Interesting observation.

Just an observation from a firmware guy.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 12,920
Re: firmware update HELP ME

I don't use a MAC but in general can you right click the file and select 'copy'

then open the SD icon , right click and select paste.

hope that helps

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
SRT201
Re: What different animals they are...

As with successive generations of other MCU's it's hard to avoid enhanced processing power.  I imagine the Prime M is a fair upgrade in the MIPS department.

-- hide signature --

SRT201

I actually went back to the page a number of times even through different routes and still saw the earlier firmware and in fact downloaded it.  There should have been no issue with stale cache data.  Strange indeed.

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Re: OK, so have you tested your third party TCs to see if they work now?

My APO converter of course has no PZ contacts.  What is the issue with the PZ third party converters.  Does AF work on HSM lenses.  I wonder how there would be an issue.  It's just a couple straight through connections.  It's not like there is logic in there.

-- hide signature --

OPTMEKX7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,668
Re: K5-II(s) firmware 1.07....advice needed.

I am unable to upload firmware V 1.07 in my K5 - IIS, I tried several times but no luck. The camera still showing V 1.06. Seems like the camera won't read the card. The card was formated before downloading the new V 1.07, any help will be much appreciated.

cheers,

Rene

OPTMEKX7's gear list:OPTMEKX7's gear list
Pentax Optio 33LF Pentax Optio A40 Pentax MX-1 Ricoh WG-M1 Pentax K20D +3 more

OPTMEKX7 wrote:

I am unable to upload firmware V 1.07 in my K5 - IIS, I tried several times but no luck. The camera still showing V 1.06. Seems like the camera won't read the card. The card was formated before downloading the new V 1.07, any help will be much appreciated.

Hi Rene,

You can try these if you want.

EXE file for Windows - http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k5_2s107.EXE

ZIP File for Windows / Macintosh - http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k5_2s107.zip

Ron

-- hide signature --

OPTMEKX7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,668

Thanks Ron, that was a quick reply, after my post, I connected the camera to the computer and went from there, it went smoothly, I now have V 1.07. For some reason the camera will not read the card, I did not encounter this kind of glitch before. Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

cheers,

Rene

OPTMEKX7's gear list:OPTMEKX7's gear list
Pentax Optio 33LF Pentax Optio A40 Pentax MX-1 Ricoh WG-M1 Pentax K20D +3 more

OPTMEKX7 wrote:

Thanks Ron, that was a quick reply, after my post, I connected the camera to the computer and went from there, it went smoothly, I now have V 1.07. For some reason the camera will not read the card, I did not encounter this kind of glitch before. Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

The only thing I can think of why the camera didn't read the card is that you might have put the BIN file in a folder on the card. It has to be in the root of the card.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads