A7r 24-70 at 70mm vs EM1 12-40 at 40mm (80mm EFL)

Started Mar 6, 2014 | Discussions
LTZ470
OP LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: Some crops with Olympus resized to 36 MP

viking79 wrote:

I hope you don't mind me using heavy crops of your photos, I deleted them off computer when done. My example is much better shown than said...

Here is why I like larger sensor. It only looks bad at the pixel level (besides the top edge, I think your lens is faulty) because the A7R has so many more pixels. If you resize the Olympus to be fair. Simply import into Lightroom and export Olympus and Sony at Long Edge of 7360 (this makes the olympus slightly more than 36 MP since it is 4x3 ratio, but have to pick to convert to 4x6 or 3x4 crop.

The A7R is on the left in all these... Tell me, which do you think is resolving more detail?

Look at board grain in background

Upper right isn't too bad on your 24-70

Look at grass detail

Of course one MUST heavy crop to degrade the EM1 image, BUT at 100% crops the EM1 image shot better detail...36Mp vs 16Mp almost 2-1/2 X's the pixels

Which will win a 200% Crop contest?...lol...

Try HEAVY crops against your 16Mp Nex and the 36Mp A7r...what do you think you'll see?

Now how big does one want to print? Thats the question and how much do you want to crop off the A7R shot?

Wished someone with an A7 and the 24-70 would shoot some landscapes and post at 100%...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

LTZ470
Re: Resize the A7/r to 16 MP to see how it compares...

viking79 wrote:

Resize the A7/r to 16 MP or preferably the m4/3 to 24 or 36 MP.

Eric

Yes, one can resize any photo, but why? I was wanting the A7r to make some printable landscape shots to hang...

Resizing defeats the whole purpose of owning a specific camera...

I think I will just use the 24mm f/2 and LA-EA4 which I detest, but is phenomenal glass in front of the A7r...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 696

viking79 wrote:

I hope you don't mind me using heavy crops of your photos, I deleted them off computer when done. My example is much better shown than said...

Here is why I like larger sensor. It only looks bad at the pixel level (besides the top edge, I think your lens is faulty) because the A7R has so many more pixels. If you resize the Olympus to be fair. Simply import into Lightroom and export Olympus and Sony at Long Edge of 7360 (this makes the olympus slightly more than 36 MP since it is 4x3 ratio, but have to pick to convert to 4x6 or 3x4 crop.

The A7R is on the left in all these... Tell me, which do you think is resolving more detail?

Look at grass detail

Well there we go.

The A7R with a good lens and all its compromises still manages to provide overall better resolution than the EM1 with an excellent lens.

Is there a massive gap? No, certainly not. But there is a gap - and if resolution is important then the A7R & 24-70 is a slightly better choice, even at the corners.

And in the middle at the right focal lengths (which is where most people will be looking most of the time) - well no contest: the Sony runs off with the trophy.

-- hide signature --
 CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
LTZ470

CraigArnold wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Look at grass detail

Well there we go.

The A7R with a good lens and all its compromises still manages to provide overall better resolution than the EM1 with an excellent lens.

Is there a massive gap? No, certainly not. But there is a gap - and if resolution is important then the A7R & 24-70 is a slightly better choice, even at the corners.

Print size...cause at 100% of both the EM1 would be the one to print, of course you chop 10-20% off the bottom and sides of the A7r shot as well...but that would defeat a 24mm lens purpose?

And in the middle at the right focal lengths (which is where most people will be looking most of the time) - well no contest: the Sony runs off with the trophy.

Which focal length were you thinking?

-- hide signature --

Lol...another misled soul...when ever you resize a 16Mp shot to 200% and the 36Mp to 100% what do you think you will see...

Like I stated before try your Nex-6 16Mp at 200% and the 36Mp A7r at 100%...

Some folks are cringing at the idea of a m43 or even a 16Mp sensor being close to the A7r...me too...

Talk is cheap and so is up sizing 16Mp vs 36Mp...lol...

Lets be honest and just use 100% Crops folks of both photos...that would be fair would it not?

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137

LTZ470 wrote:

CraigArnold wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Well there we go.

Print size...cause at 100% of both the EM1 would be the one to print, of course you chop 10-20% off the bottom and sides of the A7r shot as well...but that would defeat a 24mm lens purpose?

And in the middle at the right focal lengths (which is where most people will be looking most of the time) - well no contest: the Sony runs off with the trophy.

-- hide signature --

Lol...another misled soul...when ever you resize a 16Mp shot to 200% and the 36Mp to 100% what do you think you will see...

No, these are now being compared on the same grounds.   People generally give unfair comparisons of higher MP sensors.  What I was showing by resizing the m4/3 sensor is what kind of detail the lens is capturing for an equivalent field of view.

If I don't resize the m4/3 image you aren't looking at the same image area.

Same thing, the A7R will look better if you have the same field of view lens on, say 24 mm on APS-C and 36 mm on FF.

Some folks are cringing at the idea of a m43 or even a 16Mp sensor being close to the A7r...me too...

It isn't close at all (except for cropping ability) so same lens on both cameras you will see further away with m4/3.  If you put 12-40mm on m4/3 and 24-70mm on A7R the A7R will come out ahead every time, as I just showed.

Lets be honest and just use 100% Crops folks of both photos...that would be fair would it not?

No.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79

LTZ470 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Yes, one can resize any photo, but why? I was wanting the A7r to make some printable landscape shots to hang...

Yes, and you can see how much more detail the A7R shows at the same image area.  Pixel level detail is unimportant, what matters is how much detail the image contains for a field of view or crop you are doing.

Notice how once I enlarged the m4/3 image to 36 MP, the 100% crops are now the same magnification?  Before you were zooming in more on the A7r sensor than you were on the m4/3 sensor so the magnifications were off if you are looking at 100% so you aren't comparing the same thing.

No, pixel peeping at 100% view level without knowing what you are looking at does.

I think I will just use the 24mm f/2 and LA-EA4 which I detest, but is phenomenal glass in front of the A7r...

I am not saying the 24-70mm is a great lens, but when compared on fair grounds to the Olympus 12-40mm it is fairly comparable.

Eric

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
andre700 Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: A7r 24-70 at 70mm vs EM1 12-40 at 40mm (80mm EFL)

If you rezise before comparing, things start to look quite diferent, and then you might want to sharpen the pictures a bit to make them look their best, the level of detail in the A7r really starts to shine. Different size and different accutance makes it qite impossible to compare.

Who looks at poorly developed pictures anyway?

However, after giving both files a bit of TLC, the 16 mpx of the MFT is impressing, but it does not outperform the A7r.

Just my two cents.

-- hide signature --

André F

andre700's gear list:andre700's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha 7 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +17 more
LTZ470

viking79 wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Yes, and you can see how much more detail the A7R shows at the same image area. Pixel level detail is unimportant, what matters is how much detail the image contains for a field of view or crop you are doing.

Notice how once I enlarged the m4/3 image to 36 MP, the 100% crops are now the same magnification? Before you were zooming in more on the A7r sensor than you were on the m4/3 sensor so the magnifications were off if you are looking at 100% so you aren't comparing the same thing.

Untrue, I used Paintbrush and cropped at 100%...sorry but thats 100% crops for each photo, nothing untruthful about that...100% is 100% correct?

No, pixel peeping at 100% view level without knowing what you are looking at does.

I know what I am looking at a PRO glass vs mediocre glass...

I am not saying the 24-70mm is a great lens, but when compared on fair grounds to the Olympus 12-40mm it is fairly comparable.

Exactly what I did I utilized 100% crops from the same program...fair is fair...100% is 100%...no resizing hogwash or blowing things up or resizing down...

So do you have a different program i can crop at 100% to show different results?...

Eric

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470

andre700 wrote:

If you rezise before comparing, things start to look quite diferent, and then you might want to sharpen the pictures a bit to make them look their best, the level of detail in the A7r really starts to shine. Different size and different accutance makes it qite impossible to compare.

However, after giving both files a bit of TLC, the 16 mpx of the MFT is impressing, but it does not outperform the A7r.

Just my two cents.

-- hide signature --

André F

Correct Andre, in the center areas, but in the corners and sides it doesn't out perform it actually blurs the details to mush...

But take the same photos and print at 30 X 20 and who could tell the difference hanging in a frame? Unless of course you left the corners and sides in the A7r shot and even some in the extreme lower...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470

viking79 wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

CraigArnold wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Well there we go.

-- hide signature --

No, these are now being compared on the same grounds. People generally give unfair comparisons of higher MP sensors. What I was showing by resizing the m4/3 sensor is what kind of detail the lens is capturing for an equivalent field of view.

If I don't resize the m4/3 image you aren't looking at the same image area.

100% Crop is a 100% Crop is it not?...lol

Same thing, the A7R will look better if you have the same field of view lens on, say 24 mm on APS-C and 36 mm on FF.

Not without good glass in front of it, the corners and sides will lag...grass will be mushy...

It isn't close at all (except for cropping ability) so same lens on both cameras you will see further away with m4/3. If you put 12-40mm on m4/3 and 24-70mm on A7R the A7R will come out ahead every time, as I just showed.

Close for my old eyes, you can pee on my leg, but please don't try and tell me it is rain...

No.

100% is a 100% crop is it not?

Eric

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

viking79

LTZ470 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Yes, and you can see how much more detail the A7R shows at the same image area. Pixel level detail is unimportant, what matters is how much detail the image contains for a field of view or crop you are doing.

Notice how once I enlarged the m4/3 image to 36 MP, the 100% crops are now the same magnification? Before you were zooming in more on the A7r sensor than you were on the m4/3 sensor so the magnifications were off if you are looking at 100% so you aren't comparing the same thing.

Untrue, I used Paintbrush and cropped at 100%...sorry but thats 100% crops for each photo, nothing untruthful about that...100% is 100% correct?

I know what I am looking at a PRO glass vs mediocre glass...

Exactly what I did I utilized 100% crops from the same program...fair is fair...100% is 100%...no resizing hogwash or blowing things up or resizing down...

So do you have a different program i can crop at 100% to show different results?...

Eric

Here is what I mean. Also, I don't mean to sound harsh at all in any of my messages.

If you take a 24-70mm lens and compare it to a 12-40mm lens, you are starting on unequal ground with different focal lengths.

So you use an m4/3 sensor with the 12-40mm lens, and you now get the same field of view as the A7R with 24-70mm lens. So we have different lens focal lengths and sensor sizes, but they have equivalent field of view.

When you go out shooting you select a focal length based on field of view not focal length. Say you use 70mm on the A7r, you naturally would select 35mm on the m4/3 camera.

When you take these photos, you are capturing the same size of framing, but with one camera you are capturing the same area with 36 MP and the other with 16 MP. So the A7R has captured the same size of scene with 36 MP and the olympus with 16 MP. If you crop at a 100%, lets just say 1 MP, you have enlarged the Olympus image 16 times, but you enlarged the A7R image 36 times, this is not comparing apples to apples.

So what you have to do is first resize one of the images to match the other (since we are talking same field of view here), you could also down size the A7R image to 16 MP, since we wanted to see which is capturing more detail for the same scene we up-sized the m4/3 image. We can see that for the same framing the A7R is capturing more detail (as expected, it is 36 MP), so even though the lens looks a little bad at pixel level, it is still capturing more detail than the sharper appearing 12-40mm f/2.8 at the same field of view.

For Olympus to benefit from a crop advantage, you have to use the same focal length lens, but then you have a tighter field of view. This is a different use case not being discussed here. As soon as you start comparing a 12-40mm f/2.8 lens to a 24-70mm f/4 lens on full frame we are talking equivalent fields of view and not telephoto applications where the extra crop might be useful. If you put the same 24-70mm lens on each camera, then sure, the OM would capture more detail, but at a tighter field of view.

Eric

andre700 Regular Member • Posts: 380

Just my two cents.

-- hide signature --

André F

Correct Andre, in the center areas, but in the corners and sides it doesn't out perform it actually blurs the details to mush...

Do not agree. After resizing and a tiny bit of sharpening, they are quite equal in the corners, however as you get futher away from the corners the A7r surpasses the MFT.

But take the same photos and print at 30 X 20 and who could tell the difference hanging in a frame? Unless of course you left the corners and sides in the A7r shot and even some in the extreme lower...

As printed pictures the difference is probably isignificant. But then, if a picture is printed, framed and placed on the wall, it stands for itself and there is nothing to compare it to ...

My point is quit simple; you can not compare results if they are not presented on equal terms. The only difference that counts is "real life" difference.

André F

andre700's gear list:andre700's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha 7 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +17 more
viking79

LTZ470 wrote:

andre700 wrote:

Just my two cents.

-- hide signature --

André F

LTZ470, I think there is something wrong with your 24-70mm as the upper left corner has a harsh look to it even at f/8.  Something is out of alignment.  It could just be a one off issue with OSS doing something weird, but if it is in a lot of shots I would definitely swap the lens out.

I am not claiming that the new 24-70mm f/4 lens is a great lens, just that it might not be as bad as people initially think.  The A7R encourages bad pixel peeping practices

Eric

Camley Senior Member • Posts: 1,702

LTZ470

If I understand what you have done (and I am not sure that I do!), it isn't a fair comparison at all.

What matters is that you compare images from the same size print. This has been discussed in multiple DPreview forums.

You must either enlarge the m4/3 image or reduce the size of the a7r image to do this or you are looking at per-pixel sharpness. Per-pixel sharpness favours cameras with lower pixel count.

The Nikon 800E users went through this incorrect way of comparing images in great detail. If I remember correctly there was someone who refused to accept that you can't simply compare per pixel sharpness.

So 100% may be 100% but you must normalize the print size.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II
LTZ470

andre700 wrote:

Just my two cents.

-- hide signature --

André F

Do not agree. After resizing and a tiny bit of sharpening, they are quite equal in the corners, however as you get futher away from the corners the A7r surpasses the MFT.

We'll have to agree to disagree...at 24mm focal it's much more pronounced...mush...

At 70mm it's still not that great to be honest...definitely wouldn't use "equal"...just cropped with Preview on my Apple Macbook to close to ~equal sizes...

As printed pictures the difference is probably isignificant. But then, if a picture is printed, framed and placed on the wall, it stands for itself and there is nothing to compare it to ...

My point is quit simple; you can not compare results if they are not presented on equal terms. The only difference that counts is "real life" difference.

André F

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

viking79

LTZ470 wrote:

At 70mm it's still not that great to be honest...definitely wouldn't use "equal"...just cropped with Preview on my Apple Macbook to close to ~equal sizes...

I have said numerous times in this thread, that upper left corner, which you decided to show, is clearly faulty on the 24-70mm, and even with it performing badly, it is still about the same as the OM image. You can clearly see from the other areas that for the same field of view, it is capturing significantly more detail than the OM.

Will you notice in a 20x30 print? Probably some. The image resolution factors into the system resolution of the print.

I didn't look at the 24mm full sized images, but you are welcome to, if you crop to same resolution, and I wouldn't be surprised if the OM is as good in the corners there since they 24-70mm is not really great in the corners at 24mm, but I would try more than one side/corner.

Eric

LTZ470

Camley wrote:

LTZ470

If I understand what you have done (and I am not sure that I do!), it isn't a fair comparison at all.

What matters is that you compare images from the same size print. This has been discussed in multiple DPreview forums.

You must either enlarge the m4/3 image or reduce the size of the a7r image to do this or you are looking at per-pixel sharpness. Per-pixel sharpness favours cameras with lower pixel count.

The Nikon 800E users went through this incorrect way of comparing images in great detail. If I remember correctly there was someone who refused to accept that you can't simply compare per pixel sharpness.

To achieve a 100% crop of ANY photo you have to open with a program that opens them at 100% then you can make a 100% crop from that photo by cropping/cutting out any portion/area then Save As, this will give you 100% Crop of the photo...

Paint on Windows does this and Paintbrush on Macbook does this...

Anything else that does not do this is not a fair comparison at all...I.E. resizing...or making one photo crop 150% with the other being 100%...

Folks will try and make you believe anything, but 100% is 100%, NO ONE can change that...not even the forum experts, even though they would love to sell us the "used car with the great tires'...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

viking79

LTZ470 wrote:

Camley wrote:

LTZ470

The Nikon 800E users went through this incorrect way of comparing images in great detail. If I remember correctly there was someone who refused to accept that you can't simply compare per pixel sharpness.

To achieve a 100% crop of ANY photo you have to open with a program that opens them at 100% then you can make a 100% crop from that photo by cropping/cutting out any portion/area then Save As, this will give you 100% Crop of the photo...

Paint on Windows does this and Paintbrush on Macbook does this...

Anything else that does not do this is not a fair comparison at all...I.E. resizing...or making one photo crop 150% with the other being 100%...

Folks will try and make you believe anything, but 100% is 100%, NO ONE can change that...not even the forum experts, even though they would love to sell us the "used car with the great tires'..

Please, go read my thread carefully (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53254339) and re-read Camley's thread, and post if you have questions. You are not comparing the same thing, you are magnifying the higher MP image more.

Eric

LTZ470

viking79 wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I have said numerous times in this thread, that upper left corner, which you decided to show, is clearly faulty on the 24-70mm, and even with it performing badly, it is still about the same as the OM image. You can clearly see from the other areas that for the same field of view, it is capturing significantly more detail than the OM.

Will you notice in a 20x30 print? Probably some. The image resolution factors into the system resolution of the print.

Eric

The detail is there, but significantly blurred/distorted due to glass quality, we know it's not the sensor for sure...

So the 24-70 FE is not very good at 24mm or 70mm...very good to excellent at mid zoom, but if you have the 35mm and 55mm it's really a judgement call...NEED a good UW FE Lens Sony...lets get the lead out, Oly is on the way with a 7-14 PRO UWA and it's not going to be a slouch....

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,718

viking79 wrote:

Look at grass detail

Thank you for inputting some sanity into this thread, with a very competent post. One of the best comparison posts I have ever seen.

Remarkable how the A7R+24-70mm combo outclasses (!!) the Oly E-M1+12-40mm. I would like to see the A7 or maybe A6000 in this mix as well ...no contest whatsoever .

Thank you for thread starter to provide the picture material, even though his intention was to show how good m43 are in comparison

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads