X-E2 review just posted

Started Mar 5, 2014 | Discussions
Richard Butler
Richard Butler dpreview Admin • Posts: 2,357
X-E2 review just posted

It took a little longer than I'd hoped, but our Fujifilm X-E2 review is now live.

The X-T1 review is also progressing nicely, so should be ready in the next couple of weeks, but the X-E2 review should give a good idea of how that camera's going to perform.

Click here to read the full review

I hope you find it interesting.

Richard - dpreview.com

Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,649
Thanks for the reviews. (nt)

nt

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,524
Re: X-E2 review just posted

R Butler wrote:

It took a little longer than I'd hoped, but our Fujifilm X-E2 review is now live.

The X-T1 review is also progressing nicely, so should be ready in the next couple of weeks, but the X-E2 review should give a good idea of how that camera's going to perform.

Richard - dpreview.com

Just finished reading the review and I don't think it contained any big surprises.

Quite a bit about the waxy skin problem, at higher ISO settings, and even though it's been talked about on this forum it was still interesting to see DPR verify the problem.

One thing that did confuse me is that the reviewer said the X-E2 didn't have the same autofocus tracking speed of the X-T1. That was a little bit of a surprised because I thought the sensor/processor was the same in both cameras (shows what I know )

photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,649

Ed B wrote:

R Butler wrote:

Richard - dpreview.com

Just finished reading the review and I don't think it contained any big surprises.

Quite a bit about the waxy skin problem, at higher ISO settings, and even though it's been talked about on this forum it was still interesting to see DPR verify the problem.

One thing that did confuse me is that the reviewer said the X-E2 didn't have the same autofocus tracking speed of the X-T1. That was a little bit of a surprised because I thought the sensor/processor was the same in both cameras (shows what I know )

That may mean that a firmware upgrade could give the X-E2 AF tracking parity with the X-T1. Even if that's possible and Fuji intends to release that kind of firmware upgrade, I wouldn't expect it too soon, since that could negatively impact sales of the X-T1.

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,498

photoreddi wrote:

Ed B wrote:

R Butler wrote:

Richard - dpreview.com

That may mean that a firmware upgrade could give the X-E2 AF tracking parity with the X-T1. Even if that's possible and Fuji intends to release that kind of firmware upgrade, I wouldn't expect it too soon, since that could negatively impact sales of the X-T1.

Read the fujifilm interview of cp+.

He said we talked about not updating the firmware of an camera that is no longer on the shelve. But we did it anyway.

He also said that they were working on an update that would bring the evf up to the xt1 speed.

"Yes. For example we will release new firmware for the X-E2 soon which will improve the refresh rate of the EVF bringing it to the same level as the X-T1 and also add an interval shooting function."

Here is the link to the interview.

http://m.dpreview.com/articles/5988185050/fujifilm-interview-the-only-way-is-to-keep-innovating

BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
John Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,232

Richard - dpreview.com

As an X-E2 owner, I'd say it is an excellent, well-balanced review.
--
john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,649

BarnET wrote:

Read the fujifilm interview of cp+.

He said we talked about not updating the firmware of an camera that is no longer on the shelve. But we did it anyway.

He also said that they were working on an update that would bring the evf up to the xt1 speed.

"Yes. For example we will release new firmware for the X-E2 soon which will improve the refresh rate of the EVF bringing it to the same level as the X-T1 and also add an interval shooting function."

We seem to agree that there will be a firmware update, but we may have different opinions about how soon "soon" will be. Toshihisa Iida wrote this three weeks ago, so can we expect an upgrade before the end of this month, within the next 2 or 3 months, or before another 2 or 3 seasons pass? What would your estimate be? Mine would be within 2 or 3 months but it doesn't really matter to me since I have an X-A1, not an X-E2.

Segaman
Segaman Contributing Member • Posts: 812

You are not as fast as the XE2 focus system my friend.
The Xe3 is on the way in a near future (hahaha)

Segaman's gear list:Segaman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
TORN Senior Member • Posts: 1,425

Thank you for the review.

I understand that AF with slower lenses is not too different between the E1/E2 (and to my experience T1). But in my experience the X-E1 seems to have some lag between pressing the shutter and capturing the image - more than would be explained by the AF alone. The T1 felt more snappy to me. How about the E2? Or is it just my imagination?

TORN's gear list:TORN's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 5D
baobob
baobob Veteran Member • Posts: 8,604

Richard, may I write that DPR is one train late ??

Hope we get XT1 review befre Fuji lauches XP2 ???

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +11 more
Chanthis Regular Member • Posts: 182
Fudged ISO documented.

Well, I guess that ends the aura of high-ISO supremacy of the X-E2, and probably the X-T1 as well. Dpreview has documented that Fuji fudges the ISO, and hence requires more exposure.

Kudos to dpreview for clearly making this point, and explaining that the ISO fudging is largely responsible for any perceived noise advantage.

Jeff Charles Veteran Member • Posts: 7,514
Re: Fudged ISO documented.

Chanthis wrote:

Well, I guess that ends the aura of high-ISO supremacy of the X-E2, and probably the X-T1 as well. Dpreview has documented that Fuji fudges the ISO, and hence requires more exposure.

It doesn't require more exposure. It requires higher ISO.

Kudos to dpreview for clearly making this point, and explaining that the ISO fudging is largely responsible for any perceived noise advantage.

It only matters when comparing cameras using poorly designed tests, i.e., the way DPR does them. It's not a factor for the majority of actual photography.

IAC, I've never believed that the X-E2 has a noise advantage compared to other recent cameras with APS-C sensors.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
Pastafarian, but with doubts, and a waskely wabbit too

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Randy Benter
Randy Benter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,184

How dare DPR mention the overstating of ISO and the excessive NR at high ISO. If I have learned anything from this forum it is that those issues do not exist. I also remember that silly DPR report about the difficulties associated with demosaicing X-Trans and the poor performance of the original Adobe algorithm (another problem that never existed). The DPR staff members are clearly just trolls who hate Fuji; why else would they write such lies?

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Apple Aperture Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +17 more
Dave Sanders Senior Member • Posts: 2,426
Fudged or not...

...still pretty damn clean! I would say that the advantage is perhaps not as great as one would think, but even if 6400 is actually 3200, it's still a very nice performance. The control of colour noise on the X-trans is very pleasing.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Jeff Charles Veteran Member • Posts: 7,514

Randy Benter wrote:

How dare DPR mention the overstating of ISO and the excessive NR at high ISO. If I have learned anything from this forum it is that those issues do not exist.

I thought those were acknowledged facts, and I learned them here. 

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
NTNphoto Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: Fudged ISO documented.

Chanthis wrote:

It doesn't require more exposure. It requires higher ISO.

It only matters when comparing cameras using poorly designed tests, i.e., the way DPR does them. It's not a factor for the majority of actual photography.

IAC, I've never believed that the X-E2 has a noise advantage compared to other recent cameras with APS-C sensors.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Yes yes I think what the guy meant to say was it required higher ISO to get the right exposure. More to get the exposure. Needless to say I'm happy that DPR confirms this disparity. Yes the Fuji's are very good at high ISOs just not quite as high as they claim.

I can shoot the exact same scene with my Nikon with the same settings and I require a higher ISO on my fuji to get the same result.

Doesn't bother me too too much though. Pretty nice review overall.

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Leica Summarit-M 35mm F2.4 ASPH Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +6 more
KennyXYZ
KennyXYZ Regular Member • Posts: 308

Thank you DPReview for vindicating my purchase of this fine machine.

KennyXYZ's gear list:KennyXYZ's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
ekaton Contributing Member • Posts: 773

It was always known since 2012. This is why I never got along with the X-trans sensor output - an inferior landscape camera. The loss of details already at iso 400 is unacceptable. Maybe it was ok in 2012, but in 2014, sensor technology has improved (7100, K3, A7, R1 etc) and Fuji continues to play the emperor`s new cloths strategy. The same technology in a new trendy dress and a few serious warts and quirks, which competition never bothered its customers with, ironed out, but in substance, no real improvement. The camera and lens concept is great, the execution of sensor technology needs serious rework and refinement.

But it got a gold award. Go figure.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR +8 more
kewlguy
kewlguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Soooo....

You never have a Fuji? Let alone shooting RAW and converting the files with a proper converter...

K3? OK, which UWA Pentax lens can provide corner to corner sharpness to fully utilize the K3 sensor, btw? I'm a long time Pentax shooter, I still keep some A and M lenses, but sold all of my FA and DA lenses. Switched to Canon, could not be happier.

The best combo is still A7R + Canon TSE for landscape.

My current 'landscape setup' is 5D3/6D with 21 Distagon, 24-70L II and 24 TSE - and I find my X-E2/14mm is very close - and since the Fuji is much smaller, I tend to leave my Canons at home. That, is a fact

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Canon EOS 5DS R Pentax K-1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +85 more
ekaton Contributing Member • Posts: 773
Re: Soooo....

kewlguy wrote:

You never have a Fuji? Let alone shooting RAW and converting the files with a proper converter...

K3? OK, which UWA Pentax lens can provide corner to corner sharpness to fully utilize the K3 sensor, btw? I'm a long time Pentax shooter, I still keep some A and M lenses, but sold all of my FA and DA lenses. Switched to Canon, could not be happier.

The best combo is still A7R + Canon TSE for landscape.

My current 'landscape setup' is 5D3/6D with 21 Distagon, 24-70L II and 24 TSE - and I find my X-E2/14mm is very close - and since the Fuji is much smaller, I tend to leave my Canons at home. That, is a fact

I only shoot raw, X100, X-Pro1, X-E1 is the Fujis I had. The X-E1 is actually still in my closet. Re proper raw converters: some are better than others with the X-tran files, but there is not a single one which is better for all types of shooting with these files. So it`s an unacceptable trial and error and workaround exercise for me. Just look at the endless discussions of which raw converter to use with these cameras. Quite unique in 2014, I`d say. I enjoy being out there and take photographs and use a reasonably smooth and robust workflow for PP to limit my time behind computer screens. Your mileage might differ.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads