Any idea on wireless flash control on the A6000?

Started Mar 4, 2014 | Discussions
BlueRoomElectronics Junior Member • Posts: 48
Any idea on wireless flash control on the A6000?

Will the new A6000 have built in wireless flash control or do you need to attach a flash that supports it such as the HVL-F20M?

-- hide signature --
 BlueRoomElectronics's gear list:BlueRoomElectronics's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
symbology Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Any idea on wireless flash control on the A6000?

BlueRoomElectronics wrote:

Will the new A6000 have built in wireless flash control or do you need to attach a flash that supports it such as the HVL-F20M?

According the Specs on Sony's website.........

Flash Modes : Flash off, Auto flash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync, Wireless, Red-eye reduction (On/Off)

OP BlueRoomElectronics Junior Member • Posts: 48

My old NEX-6 also said wireless, but that's using an external flash's wireless mode not built into the camera body. Some high end Alpha's have it built in. Not sure which the a6000 is offering.

-- hide signature --
 BlueRoomElectronics's gear list:BlueRoomElectronics's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
Yes, it does wireless control from popup flash

BlueRoomElectronics wrote:

Will the new A6000 have built in wireless flash control or do you need to attach a flash that supports it such as the HVL-F20M?

According to the dpreview preview, the built-in flash can be used to trigger an external flash. I don't know if it acts as a master or controller or either. Manual flash mode would've been nice as well for triggering studio lights.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Maddrew
Maddrew New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Yes, it does wireless control from popup flash

This is one of the features I am trying to investigate further into as well. I've tried a display unit of a a6000 in a shop yesterday but when I got to the popup flash menu, the wireless option (WL) was greyed out. I remember popping up the flash, and setting the mode dial to to S, A and M modes (in case Sony imposed some kind of software restriction on other modes), but couldn't get the a6000 to let me select the WL option.

Maddrew's gear list:Maddrew's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Re: Yes, it does wireless control from popup flash

Maddrew wrote:

This is one of the features I am trying to investigate further into as well. I've tried a display unit of a a6000 in a shop yesterday but when I got to the popup flash menu, the wireless option (WL) was greyed out. I remember popping up the flash, and setting the mode dial to to S, A and M modes (in case Sony imposed some kind of software restriction on other modes), but couldn't get the a6000 to let me select the WL option.

I was mistaken.  The DPR preview said (and still says) this feature is supported.  But for the moment at least it isn't there.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 23,164

From the A6000 Help Guide:

'Wireless: ... This mode is effective when you attach a remote control-compatible external flash (sold separately) to the product, and shoot with a wireless flash (sold separately), placed away from the product... The [Wireless] setting cannot be used with the camera’s internal flash.'

Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141

sybersitizen wrote:

'Wireless: ... This mode is effective when you attach a remote control-compatible external flash (sold separately) to the product, and shoot with a wireless flash (sold separately), placed away from the product... The [Wireless] setting cannot be used with the camera’s internal flash.'

Thanks, so the same as the NEX-6 and likely not due for any FW additions as far as I can tell.

RonFrank
RonFrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,130

Tuloom wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Thanks, so the same as the NEX-6 and likely not due for any FW additions as far as I can tell.

Yeah this is Sony saying forget it for anything meaningful using the builtin flash. It would be so simple for them to include a M mode and trigger flashes from the builtin, or a TTL wireless mode, but no. They want the user to buy a Sony flash.

If you have a underwater flash those can be set to ignore the preflash and fire on the main flash. There are also triggers that can ignore preflash and any of the Sony compatible TTL flash will work mounted on camera. What it all means is the options are all there but the user must spend $$$ and jump through hoops to get it working.

I am a big fan of White Lightning and Alien Bees for off camera flash. For TTL the Metz works very well both wireless and attached as you will need both for a wireless TTL option. If you want a cheap option any standard flash can be used as a trigger, just attach to the hot shoe. I am not sure if Sony makes a commander module that will attach to the hot shoe but that would be a nice thing to have regardless of who makes it.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
ryan92084
ryan92084 Contributing Member • Posts: 521

Tuloom wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

In one of the previous threads someone mentioned that the specs weren't high enough on the nex6 flash to be used for a wireless trigger (or at least that was Sony's excuse).

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141

ryan92084 wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

In one of the previous threads someone mentioned that the specs weren't high enough on the nex6 flash to be used for a wireless trigger (or at least that was Sony's excuse).

I semi-buy that and figured it could be an issue. Canon's built-ins have 2X the guide number, I believe.

Are there any other mirrorless cameras doing optical wireless with such low guide numbers?

Sony needs an integrated radio. That would be kick ass.

Tuloom wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

I semi-buy that and figured it could be an issue. Canon's built-ins have 2X the guide number, I believe.

Are there any other mirrorless cameras doing optical wireless with such low guide numbers?

Sony needs an integrated radio. That would be kick ass.

Guide number can't be the reason.  My Metz flashes are able to ignore the pre flash and trigger on the main flash.  They can do this at pretty large distances and in daylight.  They must be able to see the pre-flash in order to ignore it, ergo they can see both the pre-flash and the main flash.  Now one excuse I might buy is the lamp Sony uses doesn't go dark quickly enough to support whatever pre-flash coding sensitivity is required to send exposure info to the remote flash...On second thought, I don't buy that either.

They just skipped it because it fell below the cut line in a product marketing meeting.

Bart

-- hide signature --

RonFrank wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Yeah this is Sony saying forget it for anything meaningful using the builtin flash. It would be so simple for them to include a M mode and trigger flashes from the builtin, or a TTL wireless mode, but no. They want the user to buy a Sony flash.

I'm my case, Sony lost the sale of an expensive HVLF43M flash head.  I bought a Metz 52 AF-1 instead because it *can* be triggered by the pop up flash on the NEX-6/a6000.

If they were on the ball, they'd make an updated HVLF20M that can do tile AND swivel AND can be wireless controlled from the a6000 popup flash.  I'd pay $200-$250 for that just for the convenience and compactness.

The NEX cameras should all have a manual flash mode as well.  Besides being nice for studio lights, you need it for butterflies because otherwise the pre-flash startles them into closing their wings before exposure.

Bart

-- hide signature --
rondar New Member • Posts: 2

Just got through going thru the "will the pop-up flash act as a wireless controller?" exercise. As stated above several times, it won't. The setup seems to be exactly the same as the NEX-6 - you need a controller-capable Sony flash to control another off-camera Sony flash, at least for TTL.

I have an HVL-F20M to use as a controller and an HVL-F60M for the slave flash. Wireless TTL works fine with both the NEX-6 and A6000.

One benefit with the HVL-60M is that it does high speed sync (HHS) in both on-camera and wireless mode. So you can sync right up to the camera's fastest shutter speed. Flash range is affected, as usual for HHS. The HVL-43M should operate the same way, although I haven't tested it.

kirk13 New Member • Posts: 2

does the A6000 internal flash fires the metz 52?

kirk13 New Member • Posts: 2

u sayed it "can" what does that means?

ImagesByNick New Member • Posts: 15

rondar wrote:

Just got through going thru the "will the pop-up flash act as a wireless controller?" exercise. As stated above several times, it won't. The setup seems to be exactly the same as the NEX-6 - you need a controller-capable Sony flash to control another off-camera Sony flash, at least for TTL.

I have an HVL-F20M to use as a controller and an HVL-F60M for the slave flash. Wireless TTL works fine with both the NEX-6 and A6000.

One benefit with the HVL-60M is that it does high speed sync (HHS) in both on-camera and wireless mode. So you can sync right up to the camera's fastest shutter speed. Flash range is affected, as usual for HHS. The HVL-43M should operate the same way, although I haven't tested it.

I'm a little late to this party but agree with the comments above.  I've also had very good results using a Phottix Mitros+ on camera and my HVL-F60M off camera with an Odin receiver.  Range is as good as any other radio setup from my Canon days (Yongnuo 622, Pocket Wizard, TT1/TT5)

Sadly Yongnuo have yet to recognize that Sony is the wave of the future ...

jankan2 New Member • Posts: 1

For a remote flash for my Sony A6000 I had a CowboyStudio NPT-04 wireless flash ($22) and put it on my camera with a Sony HVL-F43M flash I put it on my camera and it didn’t work. I found that the contacts on the front of the flash hot shoe stop the shoe from going all the way in so I filed some of the plastic from the remote receiver so that the flash would go in all the way. It works fine you still have to adjust the flash manually and no TTL

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,882

I'm considering an a6000.  Wondering about triggering my studio strobes (Alien Bees). I'm shooting Canon now and have Younguo RF 602, RF 603 & YN622C's. Anyone have any idea if any of these will work with an a6000 to trigger my strobes? (I'm just looking for a dumb trigger to synch the strobes with the shutter on the camera - camera will be in manual mode and strobe will be set manually.) If not, any wireless triggers work with the a6000?

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z7 II
japinder Junior Member • Posts: 25

24Peter wrote:

I'm considering an a6000. Wondering about triggering my studio strobes (Alien Bees). I'm shooting Canon now and have Younguo RF 602, RF 603 & YN622C's. Anyone have any idea if any of these will work with an a6000 to trigger my strobes? (I'm just looking for a dumb trigger to synch the strobes with the shutter on the camera - camera will be in manual mode and strobe will be set manually.) If not, any wireless triggers work with the a6000?

I'm using a Canon 430 ex ii with my Sony A6000 on camera by sanding the undersides of the side rails of the hotshoe.

For off camera flash, I'm using Cactus v6 triggers. Its tough going with a lot of trial & error due to the full manual nature of things, but works.

The A6000 has a 'sort of' standard hotshoe, so the Yongnuo's should work.

-- hide signature --

..jp..

japinder's gear list:japinder's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads