OMD-EM10 vs OMD-EM5

Started Mar 4, 2014 | Discussions
Andrew Ellis
Andrew Ellis Contributing Member • Posts: 816
OMD-EM10 vs OMD-EM5

Looking to potentially purchase one of the above (my first Olympus cameras), and was wondering what the real pros and cons were of each - EM10 vs EM5.

I know the newer EM10 has a much lower price, and potentially at least, better image quality due to the newer sensor and imaging pipeline, but how much better in reality - if at all ? I've seen some pretty stunning images taken with the EM5.

I also know the EM5 has full weather sealing and the 5 axis IBIS (whereas the EM10 isn't weather sealed and only 3 Axis IBIS). Does the EM5 have the latest feature set i.e. focus peaking etc. Also, does the "only" 640k dot screen look much worse than the 1 million k dot screen of the EM10 ?

I think what I am trying to get at is the Em5 is a 2 year old camera - Is it still viable as a new purchase in 2014 with the Em5 sitting below it at a much lower price and seemingly (on paper at least) giving away little to it's bigger brother.

Could any OMD experts chime in please ?

-- hide signature --

Lets make pictures, not war........

Andrew Ellis's gear list:Andrew Ellis's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Fujifilm X-H1 +21 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ulric Veteran Member • Posts: 4,558
Re: OMD-EM10 vs OMD-EM5

The sensor is the same, as far as I know. The E-M10 is newer and has a newer image processor, which may not make any difference for shooting raw.

Other than the differences you've already listed, the two are very similar. I would say that it's a matter of personal preferences. The E-M5 may be two years old but it was very far ahead of the competition when it was released and hasn't been surpassed in any of the important areas. I would say that it is still viable and even a bit of a bargain at the prices you can get it for nowadays.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,456

The 5 is certainly still a viable camera. Just because a camera is 2 years old and a newer body has been released doesn't mean a camera is all of a sudden worthless. It's about $100 more than the 10 in the US for body, and if you purchase used or refurbished you can probably get it cheaper. The 10 will probably have a little better jpeg output; I've not seen anything regarding differences in raw. In all likelihood IQ will be pretty similar. IBIS in the 5 is probably a little better but reports are the 3-axis IBIS in the 10 works well. The 5 does not have focus peaking; it could maybe be added in a later firmware upgrade, but there's no guarantee of that. Biggest pluses for the 5 that come to mind are the 5-axis IBIS, a little bit faster sequential shooting, and environmental sealing. The 10 has an upgraded processing engine, WIFI, focus peaking, more focus areas; basically a few more bells and whistles that have been introduced in the last 2 years. I have a 5 and have been really happy with it. I'd been planning to buy a couple of lenses and given the current promotion I decided I might as well buy a 10 and get the savings on the lenses. Haven't gotten it yet. But the 5 is certainly viable.

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,278

The E-M5 would be an excellent introduction to the format.   It mainly lacks some of the conveniences of the E-M1/10.   When it was the only OM-D, it was most popular for good reason.

If you find it not quite satisfactory in the ergonomic dept., the OEM grip,  the RSS grip (my preference), or JB grip should be considered.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,330
I was just looking at the B&H used section...

They have some stellar deals on the EM5 and kit lens as well as a limited version with the popular 45mm lens.

i have been using the same EM5 since the time of release extensively.  And the EM-10 from what I can see produces identical IQ, if the feature set is what is enticing then the EM-5 will not match it.  IQ alone I think the EM-5 is still a very viable option.  also if weather sealing and EVF aren't essential the EP-5 is a super body with a few more features than the EM-5 same IQ smaller profile. Still 5 axis IBIS.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
daveco2
daveco2 Contributing Member • Posts: 790

I got one of the first EM5s in town and paid a premium at a local shop.  It's been great, although at times I've wished it was even smaller and lighter - one of the EM10 attractions.

A lot of people believe the IQ will be the same for the EM5 or 10, and there's no reason to doubt that.

According to one reviewer, the EM5 5-axis stabilization will be better than the EM10 3 axis for movies.  Maybe, but I'll bet the EM10 will be just fine.  I do take some movies, but nothing serious, so I'm not too concerned about any differences in performance.

The EM10 has a built-in intervalometer, one of my favorite features.  I bought a Hahnel external intervalometer for the EM5 and later found a work around to get timelapse directly within the camera, so I'm satisfied now.

I've given some thought to selling my EM5 and getting the EM10, but the price differential and the fact that I don't want to go through the ebay hassle (and pay the fee) are what keeps me from doing it.  I guess the perceived gains (if any) in switching bodies are just not that compelling.

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 15,538

A nice choice to have, given the E-M5 deals available. For myself:

E-M5--weatherproofing, 5-axis IBIS, bigger battery that's also shared with the E-M1.

E-M10--newer engine, WiFi.

If I could get either at a similar price, I'd go with the E-M5. Everybody needs their own criteria list because our needs are unique. (Having "tested" the weatherproofing many times in two years, that feature alone is worth a premuim.)

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

DonSC Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
EM10

I have an E-M5 but at the moment, and for what you're looking for, the E-M10 would be a better fit. The OM line is really two lines. You have the E-M1 which is really a small dSLR. Then you have the E-M5 and the E-M10 which are PENs with a viewfinder. (i have a couple of PENs as well, not knocking them).

The 5 vs. 3 axis difference is minimal. The weather sealing is nice but you need the right lens and you aren't likely to be taking pictures in downpours. The E-M10 is smaller and has a built in flash. Not very useful but if you're using flash a lot then you should have the E-M1 which is large enough to handle it.

My opinion is that you can save some money and get a camera that works better for you. YMMV.

Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,590
consider also full price (E-M10) versus reduced (E-M5)

The E-M5 is now available for much less than when it was first introduced. It is now a better deal than ever before while the E-M10 goes for full price (which admittedly is still lower than the E-M5).

Considering what these cameras are you should consider:

- The E-M5 has some weather sealing but it does have holes through which water can enter, especially between the tilting LCD and the body.

- The images here on dpreview, including the studio image show that the IQ is identical between the E-M5 and E-M10. This indicates that although the E-M10 is a newer model, not everything inside is newer technology than in the E-M5. The E-M10 is at least partly also 2-year-old technology just like the E-M5. But that is still very good technology.

- Personally I find the LCD and EVF on the E-M5 to be really good. These are just aids for getting the shots. No property of the LCD or EVF influences the image quality the camera produces.

- There are features the E-M5 does not have: focus peaking is one, and it seems the E-M10 does CA correction in jpg images which is useful for jpg shooters (but does not help raw shooters). The E-M5 is really good with AF (no focus peaking needed) and RAW. The E-M10 may be better for manual AF (with focus peaking) and for jpg (with CA correction). So it matters what kind of shooter you are...

- If you like a built-in flash the E-M10 has it and the E-M5 does not. For "real" flash use it doesn't matter (as you need a powerful external unit) but for an occasional bit of fill-in flash it is useful that you don't need to pull out the tiny clip-on flash and mount it on the E-M5.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,411
from an EM10 (and former EM5) owner

IQ wise - especially if you are shooting RAW - is almost identical. There are some "tweaks" that the newer processor brings to the EM10 (which I have and had the EM5) like Focus Peaking, in-camera HDR and the Composite Time exposure which I have not really tried out but seems really cool from the shots I have seen.

Also, if you are a JPEG shooter (I am still on the fence with this camera - it is that good) as was mentioned there are lens corrections for both sharpness and CA that (similar to the EM1) are done based upon the lens being used, that are not done in the EM5.

The built-in flash, while weak, is nice in a pinch and can also be used to remote control other Olympus flashes - without having to carry that little flash around.

The EVF - while the same number of pixels as the EM5 - is better. It automatically adjusts for ambient lighting to make the viewed image brighter/darker and also has a better refresh rate. For me it looks cleaner than the view from the EM5 did. The rear LCD seems about the same.

Also, a lot of people (myself included) did not like the feel of the buttons on the EM5 - they felt very mushy. Yes - I realize this was due to the weather sealing - but I never liked them. Also, the button layout for me on the EM10 is better - never could stand the placement of the Play/F1 button near the top of the LCD screen.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +6 more
kbaigio New Member • Posts: 1

daveco2 wrote:

I got one of the first EM5s in town and paid a premium at a local shop. It's been great, although at times I've wished it was even smaller and lighter - one of the EM10 attractions.

A lot of people believe the IQ will be the same for the EM5 or 10, and there's no reason to doubt that.

According to one reviewer, the EM5 5-axis stabilization will be better than the EM10 3 axis for movies. Maybe, but I'll bet the EM10 will be just fine. I do take some movies, but nothing serious, so I'm not too concerned about any differences in performance.

The EM10 has a built-in intervalometer, one of my favorite features. I bought a Hahnel external intervalometer for the EM5 and later found a work around to get timelapse directly within the camera, so I'm satisfied now.

I've given some thought to selling my EM5 and getting the EM10, but the price differential and the fact that I don't want to go through the ebay hassle (and pay the fee) are what keeps me from doing it. I guess the perceived gains (if any) in switching bodies are just not that compelling.

Hi!

I have read your state about intervalometer on OMD 5: found a work around to get timelapse directly within the camera

and I cannot find out how to do it.

Could you help me?

Shellbo6901 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: from an EM10 (and former EM5) owner

So the e-m5 is now 599.99 while the e-m10 is 699.99, has anyone's opinions changed or have anything to add?

innatelychatty Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: from an EM10 (and former EM5) owner

what made you sell your EM5 for the EM10? Is the JPEG quality noticeably different between the two cameras?

I am trying to choose between the two and am leaning towards the EM10 for its smaller body and wifi capability, but the EM5 has weather sealing and 5-axis IBIS (which is supposedly better for taking video and macro photography)

Rumtea New Member • Posts: 1

I think you would buy one of those by now. I just got my old m5 on a super Black Friday deal for $599 so I didn't have to think much. Before I really wanted the old m5 but it was expensive. If both of camera image same price I would go with the 5 for sure. The body metal feel great. I bring my camera with me to hiking, fishing and revel a lot so weather proof is a must. I am happy with it in every way

tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

I own an M5 & M1.  Couple things haven't been mentioned that IMHO are significant.  The M10 has a better EVF & 0-Anti-shock setting.

Shutter shock is a small but meaningful problem that is unresolved in the M5.  It produces a small amount of image blur regardless of settings & use of a tripod.  W/ a couple of the longer zooms, its a bigger problem.  The 0-Anti-shock setting on the M10 solves that.

The higher resolution EVF on the M1 & M10 is a significant help when manual focusing for macro & long tele.

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +5 more
komex Junior Member • Posts: 40

i was wondering the same question

as now the em5 is much cheaper then the em10

i am drawn to the em10 because of a better lcd and smaller body......

as i know about my eyes and what i like to carry....

but the em10 is expensive i think for what you get for that size sensor...

komex Junior Member • Posts: 40

some deals now the em10 is only 20 dollars more

the smaller body and better buttons , evf etc... nuf for me to get the em10

if i wanted a bigger camera i would get a dslr like the nikon 5500

yes i know i want it all... haha .. the curse of the updated world

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,014
I have both and I wrote about them

This is an old thread, but it has been revived. Anyway, I have both and wrote about them recently:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55214783

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads