FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today! Locked

Started Mar 4, 2014 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
ZzzooM3
OP ZzzooM3 Regular Member • Posts: 276
Re: FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today!

viking79 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

I think this sets a record for me on camera gear. I ordered the FE 24-70mm F4 OSS and it finally arrived today at 1:15PM. I dropped it back to FedEx at 3:15PM!!

I knew it was a bad idea to pre-order just on expectation. I really got caught up in the positive reviews for the FE35 and FE55 and placed the order site and review unseen. I won't be making that mistake again.

At $1200, this lens should be spot on for the entire focal range, not just from 28-60 and it's not fast enough. Shame because Sony had such a good start with the other 2 Zeiss branded FE lens

1. How do you know the copy you got performed poorly except between 28 and 60mm? Just because 10-20% of the lenses received here had issues, how do you know YOURS was defective? You didn't even fire a few shot to test it?

2. It's not fast enough? How fast does it need to be for a camera that shoots 1600 ISO that looks like 200 ISO on an APC-camera?

3. Have you ever owned an f2.8 lens of this range? I have two 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron XR Di full frame lenses, and even with plastic barrels, they are WAY heavier and bigger front elements.

I guess if you don't know how to evaluate a lens, you shouldn't buy them.

For focus speed I would say that it is very fast outside daylight, but inside and low light it really struggles, but I think that is the camera as much as it is the lens. As it is I think it makes a very nice and light/compact travel kit for the A7R. Not perfect sharpness, but very good contrast/presence from the lens. What will help is when Lightroom supports the lens for corrections, as it is the distortion makes it very difficult to use.

Eric

That's a really good observation about the distortion which I didn't mention. I realize this is something that will be fixed with a good lens profile and is already fixed if you shoot JPEG. But I shoot RAW primarily and who wants to process every image? Lightroom is good about syncing the same changes across a number of shots but still it is time consuming.

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III +10 more
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,457
Re: Slow focus? How much slower vs. 1D3 + 24-70/2.8 LII?

ZzzooM3 wrote:

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

I think this sets a record for me on camera gear. I ordered the FE 24-70mm F4 OSS and it finally arrived today at 1:15PM. I dropped it back to FedEx at 3:15PM!!

I knew it was a bad idea to pre-order just on expectation. I really got caught up in the positive reviews for the FE35 and FE55 and placed the order site and review unseen. I won't be making that mistake again.

At $1200, this lens should be spot on for the entire focal range, not just from 28-60 and it's not fast enough. Shame because Sony had such a good start with the other 2 Zeiss branded FE lens

Just curious as to how the focusing compares to the Canon.

Well the Canon AF focuses pretty slow with my adapter. It easier and more accurate using the a7 Focus Peaking and Magnification which works very well IMO. I choose this lens over the FE55 primarily because I wanted a single native walk-around lens. I had a SEL35F18 and it was pretty good

I've been using my EF 17-40mm and have been pretty happy with the results but it really only works well using MF and being limited to 40mm is sometimes not ideal. I see now that I should have purchased the FE55. So as soon as I get my return credit, I'll have them send me one.

Too bad it didn't work for you. I have the 'other much-maligned' lens in this forum---the Zeiss 16-70/4 OSS----and my copy is awesome! I love shooting with fast primes too but Sony-Zeiss does not give us any native lens options longer than 55. The great news is the 70mm of the zoom lens is like a prime lens albeit it is only f/4. I consider this lens to be equivalent or maybe it even surpasses my Canon 24-105/4 L IS in bokeh.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5DS +13 more
halbraun
halbraun Regular Member • Posts: 278

Interetingly enough, I went to my local dealer today when he called and let me know he had the 24-70 in..  I went down with my gear and my 1920X1080 resolution laptop..

I compared the Zeiss to my 28-70 "kit lens" over a couple of hours of shooting and viewing side by side.. and when I left, I still had the kit lens.  The Zeiss was somewhat better, but per a previous post.. it did not "blow away" my kit lens.

Not going to entertain that I have a "great" kit lens copy, or that the Zeiss was a "poor" copy..  manufacturing differences aside, the lenses will all be within "x" % of the standard..  For me, the difference in the resulting picture was not worth $800.

Especially when you look at how I would use the zoom, which would be casually.. as in, the wife and I go out walking and I do not know what I am going to end up shooting.. its a nice day, speed is not a factor, and they are "snapshots" for memories.. nice but certainly not for hanging in the Louvre.

Otherwise I will take the kit and use the other FE prime lenses or some stellar legacy primes like my Zeiss 28, the Nikon 85 1.8, the Nikon 20.. etc.

So I guess as people have suggested, horses for courses..  and the 28-70 is a great casual walk around that in good light is very nearly as good as the $800 more expensive option.

happy shooting!

halbraun's gear list:halbraun's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,633
Re: Well...

NomadMark wrote:

David Lozoya wrote:

The ONLY zoom lens that I have used/owned that was sharp to the corners at all apertures with minimal distortion was the fantastic Olympus 12-40 f2.8. You have to see it to believe it. No other zoom comes close.

And with corrections turned off in camera, it appears distortion may be worse with that lens.

Correct

Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,633

José B wrote:

I have the 'other much-maligned' lens in this forum---the Zeiss 16-70/4 OSS----and my copy is awesome!

I'd guess that your expectations and ability to use the lens are more important than your copy.  I'm not sure you were as lucky as many here would like to believe .

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,344

ZzzooM3 wrote:

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Well the Canon AF focuses pretty slow with my adapter. It easier and more accurate using the a7 Focus Peaking and Magnification which works very well IMO. I choose this lens over the FE55 primarily because I wanted a single native walk-around lens. I had a SEL35F18 and it was pretty good but I hated the cropping. I tried working with the Crop OFF and that did yield more pixels than the auto crop but it was a hassle. So I just sold it.

I've been using my EF 17-40mm and have been pretty happy with the results but it really only works well using MF and being limited to 40mm is sometimes not ideal. I see now that I should have purchased the FE55. So as soon as I get my return credit, I'll have them send me one.

The 24-105L is a pretty heavy lens I would have thought for the A7(r) especially wen compared to the likes of a FE55mm!

The 17-40mm lens I think matches well to the A7(r) as it is a much lighter lens. Also the AF seems a fraction quicker if need be.

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
José B

bigley Ling wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Well the Canon AF focuses pretty slow with my adapter. It easier and more accurate using the a7 Focus Peaking and Magnification which works very well IMO. I choose this lens over the FE55 primarily because I wanted a single native walk-around lens. I had a SEL35F18 and it was pretty good but I hated the cropping. I tried working with the Crop OFF and that did yield more pixels than the auto crop but it was a hassle. So I just sold it.

The 24-105L is a pretty heavy lens I would have thought for the A7(r) especially wen compared to the likes of a FE55mm!

The 17-40mm lens I think matches well to the A7(r) as it is a much lighter lens. Also the AF seems a fraction quicker if need be.

The 24-70/2.8 L II is even heavier than the 24-105L.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5DS +13 more

José B wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

guess that is why Sony opted to make a 24-70 f4.0 OSS instead of a 2.8 eh?

Apple iPhone X
José B

bigley Ling wrote:

José B wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

that's for sure and also the reason why they didn't make the 24-70 OSS a 24-105/4 OSS. If Sony did, I might have traded my NEX-6 system because I prefer FF over a cropper.

José B wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

José B wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

that's for sure and also the reason why they didn't make the 24-70 OSS a 24-105/4 OSS. If Sony did, I might have traded my NEX-6 system because I prefer FF over a cropper.

Just get a SB for you Nex 6. It will make your Nex6 behave somewhat like a full frame with benefits of 1 stop extra light.

Apple iPhone X
zilver Contributing Member • Posts: 921
Depends on the copy

My first copy of the lens was extremely (worse than kits lens) soft at 70mm and I found that out in few minutes. Still I couldn't believe Zeiss can be that bad so I picked up another copy and although not perfect it was night and day when compared to the first one.

So in this case I feel you can't really judge someone's else reaction fully based on your experience.

Dandrewk wrote:

So you folks are -really- judging the lens after two hours of usage? Or... PRE-judging the lens based on some (but NOT all) posts here?

If it's too expensive for that slow of a lens, why was it even ordered in the first place?

BTW, I've yet to find the issues with this lens that some here seem to have. Perhaps I got lucky. Or perhaps I already know that there has never, ever been a zoom lens that is "spot on" sharp at all apertures and at all focal lengths.

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X100F Leica M10 Leica M-Monochrom
ZzzooM3
OP ZzzooM3 Regular Member • Posts: 276

José B wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Oh yes DEFINITELY! I tried it out but too awkward hand-held. I do use it on a tripod and it works very well that way. The background on my Flickr page was taken using it. This is why I use the 17-40/4 L walking around or I use an MD 50mm f/2 Rokkor-X depending on the situation.

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III +10 more
Richt2000 Senior Member • Posts: 2,900
And?

ZzzooM3 wrote:

I bought a GM1 and returned it the same day.

Was my purchase mistake worth telling the world? Probably not.

i thought this was a camera gear forum, rather than a consumer mistake forum.

BTW mine performs as well as the Canon 24-70/4 and 24-105/4 at 24mmm

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +9 more
ianbrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,969
Re: And?

Now I think we all have a different level of expectation and I think this particular lens (being a new FE design) some expected it to be sharp across the frame, at least when you. Get to f8 or f11.

I have had the lens a few days and  I am going to do further tests today, however in comparison to the kit lens you get, better build, 4mm wider and a stop faster at 70mm.

On the a7r you would never dream of putting the kit lens on so really if you have the A7r and want a walkabout zoom you have no options.

I have had canon and nikon lenses in the past and I did extensive testing of the 24-70 f2.8 MKII v 24-70 F4 and at almost double the price the 24-70 f2.8 was "marginally" better, so it's the law of ever dismissing returns.

I remember buying a cinema amp a few years ago for £500 and then upgraded to a £1500 model, again not much difference, as in most things there is a sweet spot and beyond that life gets less perfect.

Ian

tobias2003 Forum Member • Posts: 85
I'm keeping my FE 24-70mm F4 OSS

I got it a few days ago and I'm keeping it. It's sharp, and with F4 I get at least the same if not better background blur as with F2.8 on a crop sensor. Plus I need a replacement for the kit zoom because its rubber always requires me to wash my hands after touching it. Touching the 24-70 is a pleasure.

tobias2003's gear list:tobias2003's gear list
Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus E-M1 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +65 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,532

ZzzooM3 wrote:

So, you order a lens that is really build for the A7r and not for the A7 (as the 28-70 kit lens suffices), and within 2 hours after receiving it you realize that this lens is NOT making you a better photographer?

And just how many FF lenses have you used at 24mm f/4? Most are not very sharp in the corners at f4 - you need to stop down more to get that extra sharpness.

Remember that F4 on FF is F2.8 on APS-C and F2.0 on m43? - It is a fairly usable (=fast) f-stop. Remember when f/3.5 on FF was considered fast enough?

How was your copy at F8-F11? Still soft? That is the aperture that I would chose for corner sharpness....

Anyways, how did you decide in two hours that the lens is not for you? I guess that it would take me at least two months to reach such a conclusion...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
ianbrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,969

blue_skies wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

So, you order a lens that is really build for the A7r and not for the A7 (as the 28-70 kit lens suffices), and within 2 hours after receiving it you realize that this lens is NOT making you a better photographer?

And just how many FF lenses have you used at 24mm f/4? Most are not very sharp in the corners at f4 - you need to stop down more to get that extra sharpness.

Remember that F4 on FF is F2.8 on APS-C and F2.0 on m43? - It is a fairly usable (=fast) f-stop. Remember when f/3.5 on FF was considered fast enough?

How was your copy at F8-F11? Still soft? That is the aperture that I would chose for corner sharpness....

Anyways, how did you decide in two hours that the lens is not for you? I guess that it would take me at least two months to reach such a conclusion...

+1

Miki Nemeth
Miki Nemeth Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
Henry says that F4 on FF is F2.8 on APS-C and F2.0 on m43

blue_skies wrote:

Remember that F4 on FF is F2.8 on APS-C and F2.0 on m43?

Hi Henry,

I have learned so much from You, here on the pages of this excellent forum. This point I do not understand completely. I had the impression that F-number is the same on any camera systems, just like focal-length. Do you mean that the DoF of F4 on a FF camera is the same as the DoF of F2 on a m43? Does this mean that a FF camera with F4 can auto-focus at the same speed as a m4/3 camera with F2?

Another related question: If I change the A7 to APS-C mode the effects/usability of F4 changes down to F5.6?

Thank You for the help, Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +6 more
Fredy Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812
haha. Admit it.

Your better half saw the price and made you return it. I have this lens and I like it but must admit wish it has a longer zoom. Aren't you lucky that you can return it?

-- hide signature --

fredyr

NumberOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,048

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Did you even tried it - Or was it just for the record sake?

Best regards,
Pedro

NumberOne's gear list:NumberOne's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads