16mm f/2 from Samyang/Rokinon, Anyone using it?

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Discussions
El Matadurr
El Matadurr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
16mm f/2 from Samyang/Rokinon, Anyone using it?

I've been looking around for an affordable wide-angle prime for APS-C shooting that I might be able to use for an approaching wedding. My widest lens right now is the Touit 32mm, and though it is wide enough for most things, large groups at a wedding (particularly inside) may pose a slight challenge. Beyond that, a nice fast prime for landscapes would be a plus.

Reviews on the 16mm seem pretty favorable. I wanted to get some additional feedback from any owners of this lens, or those that may have tried it out. And yes, I am fully aware it's manual focus only. Another reason I actually WANT the lens.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,990
Re: 16mm f/2 from Samyang/Rokinon, Anyone using it?

The lens you mentioned looks promising.

At a wedding I would want auto-focus, so if it were me, I would get a 19mm Sigma and I did. Very inexpensive, relatively fast, and sharp. The lens I really may save for is the SEL 24/1.8.

Here is a chart from DxO comparing sharpness and price:

Prime Lenses for NEX

-- hide signature --

Dave

El Matadurr
OP El Matadurr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018

KwhyChang wrote:

At a wedding I would want auto-focus, so if it were me, I would get a 19mm Sigma and I did. Very inexpensive, relatively fast, and sharp. The lens I really may save for is the SEL 24/1.8.

I am keeping the Sigma in mind, and have seen great results with it.

Per autofocus, I can manually focus my lenses faster than the CDAF of my NEX-7, so manual gearing is preferred.

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,990

El Matadurr wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

I am keeping the Sigma in mind, and have seen great results with it.

Per autofocus, I can manually focus my lenses faster than the CDAF of my NEX-7, so manual gearing is preferred.

Understood. I use 3 manual lenses and I often turn off AF on the Metabones adapter.

You have probably read these reviews by users, in that you are researching this lens. But, I include them here for others who may be interested.

The first two are from B&H and the last is from Amazon.

This post was educational for me, thanks.

" 1. I bought this lens as soon as it became available hoping I could check it off from my my low light, wide angle wish list. I can now say it has fulfilled my expections and is now off that list. It stays sharp throughout the entire viewing area, even at its widest aperture of 2.0. You have to manually set aperture and focus, no problem if you are filming with somewhat constant distance to your subject and under similar ighting conditions. I use it with my new Sony VG-30 camcorder, comes with Sony E-Mount, fits perfectly, no need for adapters. I stays on my camcorder all the time for steadicam shots, looks fantastic and not at all like fisheye. For normal lighting changes during shot, you can use combination of auto gain/auto shutter on camcorder to compensate for manual iris ring on lens. Average weight, professional build, really nice lens for the money.

Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

2. There has been a lot of talk about a lack of wide-angle (16-18mm) primes for APS-C. It seems all the wide-angle lenses for APS are zooms, and most are F/3.5 or slower.

This is my fourth Samyang lens. Samyang produces lenses that have exceptional optics (if you can get a good copy), but are much cheaper than the big name-brands, albeit with manual focus only.

However, this lens is unique. Nobody else makes wide angle primes for APS.

What really surprised me were the optics wide open. At F/2, there is almost no chromatic aberration (other than easily corrected lateral CA that all wide-angles seem to have). All my other fast glass (F/2 or faster) have lots of longitudinal chromatic aberration that degrades the view, especially in the out-of-focus areas. This lens is almost completely free of this aberration.

There are few lenses I have used that are F/2 and faster where F/2 is almost as good as F/5.6. This is one of them. The edges aren't perfect at F/2, but the next fastest 16mm lens is the Tokina 11-16mm, after that, they're all F/3.5 or slower. I used to own the Tokina 11-16mm, and it had significant field curvature at 16mm that this lens lacks. Optically, this lens is better at F/2 than the Tokina was at F/4.

Great lens, but a specialized item. One of the best F/2 or faster lenses I've used. For those who care about full-frame equivalency, this will yield photos similar to a 24mm F/2.8 on full-frame.

3. I bought this to use for my Sony FS-100 video camera and it really works well. The other day, I picked up a Sony A7 and found that the image circle projects even more when using this on a FF camera. You cannot use it for FF by any means, however, you can get substantially wider by using the 16 f/2 and cropping after the fact. It is very sharp, has good manual focus. I love doing focus pulls with it as the DOF is so narrow--the focus peaking feature works great. I have all of the other Rokinon (Samyang) lenses and really love them. They are reasonable priced, very sharp, and have plenty of contrast for both video and stills.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads