Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Discussions
Alex Notpro
Alex Notpro Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

For those of us who have IBIS.

Is AF really worth $600 and a 37% loss in light-gathering ability?

Is the Voigtlander usable in the f/0.95-f/1.2 range?

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony Alpha a7 Sony a5100 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,354
Re: Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

This extensive review might help:

http://www.lenstip.com/395.1-Lens_review-Voigtlander_Nokton_42.5_mm_f_0.95.html

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
alolywu Regular Member • Posts: 387
Voightlander 42.5mm

Can't speak to the Leica 42mm but I do have the Voightlander and I would say that in the F0.95 and 1.2 range, the DOF is very thin and you have to focus very carefully.  It's a very unique lens and I'm not sure it's really directly comparable to the Leica or Olympus's own 45mm.  Each has its own intended use and user.

So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for this focal length for typical portraits, my users myself included would likely find the F1.8 more forgiving, ie both eyes are in focus, eyes and nose are in focus.

That's not to take anything away from the faster lens, I'm not 100% convinced most people need the DOF thinner than an F1.8.  I'm guessing (?) that's why Olympus doesn't offer anything faster than an F1.8.

jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,678

Alex Notpro wrote:

The Voigtländer 42.5mm is absolutely usable within that range. Using basic handling technique IBIS isn't necessary, it may be nice at times.

The 42.5mm is one of my favorite lenses. For me, $600 for autofocus isn't worth it. For some it might be. I'd still love to try a Panasonic 42.5mm.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,084

Alex Notpro wrote:

The answers would depend on whom you asked. There's both usability (field experience), and a variance of character, that would warrant a poll where there'd be three choices:

* Yes

* No

* I wouldn't consider either.

And not everyone might be thinking of using the lens with the same application (natural light portraits, studio portraits, street candids, street work, lurking in the shadows, flora studies, etc.).

Hard to say, really. I'd think the Panasonic would would be the more popular lens of the two, if priced the same. Nuances in IQ as they get better and better, become sinfully more expensive. I have no attraction to the Panasonic 42.5, having made strong bonds with the Nokton before it arrived on the scene (which means squat, but I felt I had to say it [shrug]).

You can find a few resources for the Voigtlander.   I like Pekka Potka's perspective  on the lens, a bit different than a typical review (but doesn't contradict the reviews, either).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2
xerophytenyc Regular Member • Posts: 428

Voigt is likely the better option for video, where AF and fly-by-wire can be detrimental to the artist's vision. DOF is indeed very shallow @ 0.95 but it is fun taking pictures/ video in the dark sans flash.

Pana looks to be a brilliant lens.

EDIT: to give you an idea of how much light F0.95 gathers, I was away last week in Florida and during filming I needed close to 5-6 stops ND filter light reduction outdoors all the way until early evening when the sun was already weak.  I wish my GH3 had ISO 50, that would help!

xerophytenyc's gear list:xerophytenyc's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus Tough TG-2 +6 more
JeanPierre Martel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,055
Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 in the f/0.95-f/1.2 range

Alex Notpro wrote:

Judge by yourself (all taken with an hand-held OM-D e-m5 camera):

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +23 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,059

Alex Notpro wrote:

Well, IBIS....

and all of a sudden AF

For me AF is very important, but I can't fathom how to attach IBIS to this - sounds like very illogical bundling.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,354

s_grins wrote:

For me AF is very important, but I can't fathom how to attach IBIS to this - sounds like very illogical bundling.

The Panasonic 42.5 has OIS the Voit does not. If you have IBIS you don't care that the 42.5 has OIS and so the two lenses are the same in the IS department.  If you don't then the Panasonic has another advantage over the Voit you might be willing to pay for.

-- hide signature --

Ken W

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 34,162
Re: Voigtlander 40mm f1.4?

Alex Notpro wrote:

Why not throw the rather nice Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 Classic into the ring?

Smaller, quite capable and not too far away in the specifications. All manual and no IS of course but f1.4 is not to be sneezed at.

Quite a lot cheaper as well.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

discopolana Senior Member • Posts: 1,439
Don't have IBIS, bought CV 42,5mm

For photos I have great, small Oly 45/1.8, Pannys: 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 mounted on a EPM2.

Hacked GH2 likes Sandisks and Voigtlanders.

Best,
d

discopolana's gear list:discopolana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +11 more
jeffharris

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Alex Notpro wrote:

Smaller, quite capable and not too far away in the specifications. All manual and no IS of course but f1.4 is not to be sneezed at.

Possibly. I have the Voigtländer 35mm f1.4, but I can tell you that while the 35mm (by all accounts the 40mm is similar) is a very good lens, sized perfectly for M4/3 bodies even with the lens adaptor, the rendering isn't quite as nice as the 42.5mm and there's really no replacing f0.95 with f1.4. The 42.5mm also focuses down to 9" which I've found extremely

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
LeitzKameraAktion
LeitzKameraAktion Regular Member • Posts: 123
Oly 45mm f1.8 = Best Bang for Buck?

Although I'm intrigued by these fast Panasonic and VL offerings, for me the diminutive and cheap Olympus 45mm f1.8 is so good, it makes spending the extra cash hard to justify. If it came to it, I'd go for the Panasonic because it has AF and IS, Even at f1.8. the Oly 45 is quite demanding when it comes to focus. So fast accurate AF would be a great help.

LeitzKameraAktion's gear list:LeitzKameraAktion's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,879
Examples

Here's a link to New Years Eve photos, all that were taken with the Voigtlander 42.5. To say I love this lens is an understatement.

http://brick.smugmug.com/Events/2014-1-New-Years-Eve/i-3kM29WJ

Also, here are a couple that were shot wide open.

jeffharris wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Alex Notpro wrote:

Possibly. I have the Voigtländer 35mm f1.4, but I can tell you that while the 35mm (by all accounts the 40mm is similar) is a very good lens, sized perfectly for M4/3 bodies even with the lens adaptor, the rendering isn't quite as nice as the 42.5mm and there's really no replacing f0.95 with f1.4. The 42.5mm also focuses down to 9" which I've found extremely

Jeff

I am not advocating the CV 40/1.4 LM as a direct replacement for the the other two lenses.  I do like mine and I have had it for a while. But am still on the market for the Nocticron for its AF and OIS which, combined with the type of glass one hopes to get for the extra entry price would make it a very happy combo on the GM1.  In fact the lens itself pulled me into M4/3.

However those that like the idea of a good fast 40-something but don't want to spend quite as much there is another smaller and quite capable near-alternative.

As a once and continuing Ricoh fan I aso have the Ricoh LTM 28mm f2.8 which is a relatively rare bird as one of only 10,000 or so made and mainly sold in Japan.  It is also a lens of high standard.  And of course the obligatory CV 15mm f4.5 that "everyone" has, but I could not bring myself to the funding necessary for the CV 12mm f5.6 and there are no second hand bargains in that particular lens.  All of these of course are pre-GM1 but an adapter of ttwo and they are happily living in M4/3 land.

This of course is the beauty of having mount-independence  and the danger of locking oneself into the M4/3 mount system by acquiring dedicated lenses.  The fact that I have done this already and seem continuing to do so is more a tribute to the GM1 itself aas a very fine camera than to my continuing common sense.  

True common sense says buy LM or LTM MF lenses and if ever another mount system beckons then an adapter in hand, you can easily move on - all the way to FF if that is the light that interests you.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

jeffharris

Tom Caldwell wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Alex Notpro wrote:

Jeff

I am not advocating the CV 40/1.4 LM as a direct replacement for the the other two lenses. I do like mine and I have had it for a while.

But am still on the market for the Nocticron for its AF and OIS which, combined with the type of glass one hopes to get for the extra entry price would make it a very happy combo on the GM1. In fact the lens itself pulled me into M4/3.

I can see the appeal of the PL42.5mm, but I just love solidly built manual lenses.

However those that like the idea of a good fast 40-something but don't want to spend quite as much there is another smaller and quite capable near-alternative.

That makes sense, I guess I was a bit vague, but I thought I was sort of saying the same thing as far as the Voigtländer 35/40 f1.4s go. They're great little lenses and a nice match for the system.

As a once and continuing Ricoh fan I aso have the Ricoh LTM 28mm f2.8 which is a relatively rare bird as one of only 10,000 or so made and mainly sold in Japan. It is also a lens of high standard. And of course the obligatory CV 15mm f4.5 that "everyone" has, but I could not bring myself to the funding necessary for the CV 12mm f5.6 and there are no second hand bargains in that particular lens. All of these of course are pre-GM1 but an adapter of ttwo and they are happily living in M4/3 land.

This of course is the beauty of having mount-independence and the danger of locking oneself into the M4/3 mount system by acquiring dedicated lenses. The fact that I have done this already and seem continuing to do so is more a tribute to the GM1 itself aas a very fine camera than to my continuing common sense.

True common sense says buy LM or LTM MF lenses and if ever another mount system beckons then an adapter in hand, you can easily move on - all the way to FF if that is the light that interests you.

Nikon F mount lenses are another way to go. I've got a bunch. Although, L and M mounts do make a bit more sense in terms of general size and flange distance vs. Nikon.

As you say, if I ever decide to experiment with a different format all I'll need are a few lens adaptors and I'm set.

As a long time Nikon user, I'd love to see Nikon release a real, full-bore 135 format mirrorless camera, but I fear they're so calcified the wait may be a long and pointless one. I guess a Sony A7r version 2 may have to suffice.

jeffharris wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Alex Notpro wrote:

Jeff

I am not advocating the CV 40/1.4 LM as a direct replacement for the the other two lenses. I do like mine and I have had it for a while.

But am still on the market for the Nocticron for its AF and OIS which, combined with the type of glass one hopes to get for the extra entry price would make it a very happy combo on the GM1. In fact the lens itself pulled me into M4/3.

I can see the appeal of the PL42.5mm, but I just love solidly built manual lenses.

That makes sense, I guess I was a bit vague, but I thought I was sort of saying the same thing as far as the Voigtländer 35/40 f1.4s go. They're great little lenses and a nice match for the system.

As a once and continuing Ricoh fan I aso have the Ricoh LTM 28mm f2.8 which is a relatively rare bird as one of only 10,000 or so made and mainly sold in Japan. It is also a lens of high standard. And of course the obligatory CV 15mm f4.5 that "everyone" has, but I could not bring myself to the funding necessary for the CV 12mm f5.6 and there are no second hand bargains in that particular lens. All of these of course are pre-GM1 but an adapter of ttwo and they are happily living in M4/3 land.

This of course is the beauty of having mount-independence and the danger of locking oneself into the M4/3 mount system by acquiring dedicated lenses. The fact that I have done this already and seem continuing to do so is more a tribute to the GM1 itself aas a very fine camera than to my continuing common sense.

Nikon F mount lenses are another way to go. I've got a bunch. Although, L and M mounts do make a bit more sense in terms of general size and flange distance vs. Nikon.

As you say, if I ever decide to experiment with a different format all I'll need are a few lens adaptors and I'm set.

As a long time Nikon user, I'd love to see Nikon release a real, full-bore 135 format mirrorless camera, but I fear they're so calcified the wait may be a long and pointless one. I guess a Sony A7r version 2 may have to suffice.

I have plenty of lenses I can use it is more wondering which one I will take today.  For some reason I get a kick out of the weird ones - like the Russian Industar-61L/Z which is a close focus 50/2.8 in M42 format and looks nothing like the better known Industar-61L/D which is a completely different shape and LTM mount.  They must use the same lens formula.  Hardly surprising that the Russian lens naming system confuses most.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,059

kenw wrote:

s_grins wrote:

The Panasonic 42.5 has OIS the Voit does not. If you have IBIS you don't care that the 42.5 has OIS and so the two lenses are the same in the IS department. If you don't then the Panasonic has another advantage over the Voit you might be willing to pay for.

-- hide signature --

Ken W

For me, AF is the huge advantage that worths every penny. I stopped looking at MF lenses long time ago. OIS is a marginal feature for me, moreover, my camera does not have IBIS, that is why I had a trouble with OP.

But I agree that lens with OIS costs more than without it. In terms of money this AF and OIS bundling now looks logical for me.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,879

s_grins wrote:

For me, AF is the huge advantage that worths every penny. I stopped looking at MF lenses long time ago. OIS is a marginal feature for me, moreover, my camera does not have IBIS, that is why I had a trouble with OP.

I love AF except when I'm working with very shallow depth of field which is typical with night street work where I need the lens opened all the way up (and which the f.95 Voigtlander does better than any other m43 lens - it's a veritable light machine). In those cases I find that AF often puts the focus point where I don't want it and as a result those images lack critical sharpness in the areas I want them. Yes MF is a little work, but it's becoming part of my work flow so that it's usually not an impediment to capturing the "decisive moment". I figure if Bresson could make do without AF, I need to do that as well 

amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,006

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Alex Notpro wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

I had the 40/1.4.  Loved the looks, size, and build quality, but I found the optics disappointing.  Rather poor wide open and never really much good in the corners and edges.  The Oly is a much better lens for the money, IMO.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads