New Quattro hands on video

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,158
Dubious to me

325East wrote:

Matt Granger made one spot on remark: the new design will be judged by the image quality of he camera. If the images turn out to be medium format quality . . . people will sing praises to the design. If not . . . .

Hasn't been true of the previous cameras (design praised because of IQ).  I'll believe it when I see it.

The images from the current Merrills have been held in very high regard by a lot of reviews.  It doesn't stop them at all from harping on every small detail of the body they don't like (or don't understand).

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,158
"Some people don't use an EVF anymore"

Actually, most people don't use an EVF or VF at all anymore, considering how many people take images now with smartphones.

Looks easy enough to hold though, he was holding it quite a few ways and it looked sturdy.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
PrebenR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,529
Re: "Some people don't use an EVF anymore"

Actually, most people don't use an EVF or VF at all anymore, considering how many people take images now with smartphones.

Looks easy enough to hold though, he was holding it quite a few ways and it looked sturdy.

Yes, on my GH3 I have screen and EVF. 97% of the time I use the screen. Why would I want to have a camera glued to my face?
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

PrebenR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,529
Re: I was impressed...

BarrytheB wrote:

He didn't drop it the way he was flippin it around- maybe Sigma should pee test these guys before they let them handle the merchandise

I was waiting for the guy to flip it up into the air like a juggler or band leader. I was deeply disappointed.

Grip too good for that
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,184
Re: New Quattro hands on video. Three mins 11 sec of...

(Did I say "nothing"?)

3dreal Senior Member • Posts: 2,271
Re: New Quattro hands on video

I like those who are speaking like a machinegun-above all those who are barely understandable. and those with terrible and loud backgroundmusic.....and those telling us nothing new but in 5 min.

-- hide signature --
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 21,355

Gesture wrote:

That's the whole point. With so much space, should quite well in the video, it could be a swivel design without being any larger.

The Nikon Coolpix 995 was a superb design that in many ways has never been equalled.

That extra space would also allow modules for many things: dual card slots; WiF; even an EVF.

I just feel the form factor and intended user group begs a lens swivel design and dual card slots—for starters.

I think a tilting LCD is the main thing it needs.

Using a camera with only LCD (no EVF) at eye level requires reading glasses for many people. At waist level, you can hold the camera more steadily, and you can see focus on the screen.

ChristianHass Senior Member • Posts: 2,945

Nice to see it handled, gives a much better idea of the size of the camera.

I'm still not convinced on the ergonomics, and even if it is nice to hold it looks really inconvinient to fit into a bag of any kind.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Sony a6300

WhiteSwan wrote:

Lord metroid wrote:

This time it is an english speakin man holding the camera and one can actually get a nice idea of the size of the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ7PsQhEO98

Looks good - I'll buy one.

It doesn't look particularly big. But then I used to use a Mamiya Press camera, and a Nikon F3 with a motor drive, and other large cameras.

The Quattors will probably take better quality pictures than the Mamiya.

Lord metroid
OP Lord metroid Regular Member • Posts: 476
Re: Dubious to me

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

325East wrote:

Matt Granger made one spot on remark: the new design will be judged by the image quality of he camera. If the images turn out to be medium format quality . . . people will sing praises to the design. If not . . . .

Hasn't been true of the previous cameras (design praised because of IQ). I'll believe it when I see it.

The images from the current Merrills have been held in very high regard by a lot of reviews. It doesn't stop them at all from harping on every small detail of the body they don't like (or don't understand).

So true. In all reviews I read the past month(I have read them all because I am considering whether to get a Merrill or wait for a Quattro). All critiques have been harping on the design of the camera. They say, it is a box. They say it is a brick, They say it is a tank, etc...

I happen to like that it is a box! Nothing superfluous is a good merit according to my values.

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma dp2 Quattro
Tiger1 Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Re: "Some people don't use an EVF anymore"

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Serious photographers still need an EVF or OVF because you can't see a damn thing when the sun shines directly on the screen.  The sun in Oz is a little stronger than most other places in the world (especially Europe) and I can tell you it's impossible to frame a shot even with well regarded LCDs.

The positive thing about the current Dp series size is that although it is brick like it still has a small form factor.  You can fit all three merrills in a small bag.  The shear width of the new quattro would make that a lot more difficult. Hence the feeling that if the IQ is extremely high, people will forgive that.

Tiger1's gear list:Tiger1's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sigma SD14 Sigma SD1 Merrill +14 more
maple Veteran Member • Posts: 3,215

ChristianHass wrote:

I'm still not convinced on the ergonomics, and even if it is nice to hold it looks really inconvinient to fit into a bag of any kind.

My thoughts, too.

I just can’t bring myself to liking it, even if that design is a necessity. The problem is more with carrying it than shooting with it.

I’ll wait for the SD version. Really hope though Sigma won’t make it unnecessarily big again.

-- hide signature --

Maple

3dreal Senior Member • Posts: 2,271
Re: New Quattro hands on video-Yamaki speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZjeiE8f32Y

from a commentor of the japanese 45min.speech of yamaki:

Sigma CEO, Kazuto Yamaki, talks about the new Foveon Quattro sensor. The bottom line is 1) the new one is comparable to a 39MP Bayer sensor in resolution, 2x as sensitive as the current version, and keeps the same "Foveon look" and 2) The new body is 2.5x as fast as the current model in storing one raw image.

-- hide signature --
atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,184
Re: New Quattro hands on video-Yamaki speech

Ta for that 3D. It sounds delectable.

atom14.

maple wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

My thoughts, too.

I just can’t bring myself to liking it, even if that design is a necessity. The problem is more with carrying it than shooting with it.

I’ll wait for the SD version. Really hope though Sigma won’t make it unnecessarily big again.

The bigger battery and extra electronics have to go somewhere.

PicOne
PicOne Veteran Member • Posts: 6,931
"Bigger ones are better" syndrome

maple wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

My thoughts, too.

Maybe the design is to address sales in the USA specifically. From DPR's Nikon interview during CP+:
"So you find that in America your customers equate physical size with quality?"

"Perhaps, yes. We have done some studies where we presented consumers with a DSLR and a mirrorless camera and ask them if the image quality was the same, which one they would chose, and generally they chose the DSLR. We asked them why and they said ‘of course bigger ones are better!’ ..."

Nikon Interview

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Rudi Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: "Bigger ones are better" syndrome

PicOne wrote:

maple wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

My thoughts, too.

Maybe the design is to address sales in the USA specifically. From DPR's Nikon interview during CP+:
"So you find that in America your customers equate physical size with quality?"

"Perhaps, yes. We have done some studies where we presented consumers with a DSLR and a mirrorless camera and ask them if the image quality was the same, which one they would chose, and generally they chose the DSLR. We asked them why and they said ‘of course bigger ones are better!’ ..."

Nikon Interview

... and they were right ! Bigger is better. There´s nothing worse than fiddeling around with some tiny knobs and buttons or stitching on the icons of a touchscreen if you want to change your camera settings. What is a fast AF speed good for, if you miss a shot because you need to fumble with horrible tiny switches to get the adjustments done ?

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
Flops in his hand like a wet fish.

Looks half baked. Perhaps it will work well when shooting…so far no videos have done this.

Lin Evans
Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,390
Future EVF ???

From his fairly obvious lack of preparation and knowledge of what Sigma has been already doing, it is difficult to know whether he actually heard a Sigma rep say that there may be an EVF in the future for this camera or whether he misunderstood that instead of that, an OVF would be available to attach to the flash mount. I suspect the latter myself, but maybe Sigma has wired this model to accept an add-on EVF such as used with the Sony RX1??

It would help if people who make such videos had at least a clue what Sigma and Foveon were about. His statement when bantering about the stacked sensor "no one else is using that anymore" made me seriously question his knowledge of digital camera history... Sorry Matt, you really could improve your delivery by learning at least a bit of digital camera and sensor history before rambling on...

Lin

Lord metroid wrote:

This time it is an english speakin man holding the camera and one can actually get a nice idea of the size of the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ7PsQhEO98

Lin Evans's gear list:Lin Evans's gear list
Olympus E-10
D-Man67
D-Man67 Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Found one

mike earussi wrote:

At least it's in English, though it would have been nice if someone who already shoots Sigma could have reviewed it. We'll know more in a few months.

Here ya-go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8u0ZOOxBj0

D-Man67's gear list:D-Man67's gear list
Olympus C-7000 Zoom Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Sigma SD1 Merrill +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads