AWB vs. ExpoDisc

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions
saford Regular Member • Posts: 121
AWB vs. ExpoDisc

saford's gear list:saford's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +10 more
wayner01bst Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: AWB vs. ExpoDisc

Is the first pic AWB, 2nd pic Expodisc?

Which version more closely represents the actual scene?

I have been considering getting an Expodisc, really like this comparison. Thanks for posting it.

Wayne

OP saford Regular Member • Posts: 121

Hi Wayne,

Correct...1st AWB, 2nd ExpoDisc.  The ExpoDisc rendered the scene closer to 'actual', the AWB tinted the sky and everything else blueish in my eyes and the sky was total grey overcast.  I haven't used it for long, but so far am impressed by it's accuracy.

Here's three more to show you indoors, AWB, Tungsten, ExpoDisc...

AWB - always seems to add orange indoors

Tungsten - pretty close to real life except the slight blue added which you can definitely see in the white buds

ExpoDisc - no orange like AWB and no blue like tungsten

I need more practice making sure that I'm identifying the main light source when custom setting with it, but I think it works very well.

-Scott

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +10 more
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,887
Shoot RAW, you can't leave AWB in the wrong bag. (NT)

No text.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha a7R Sony a77 II +17 more
Re: Shoot RAW, you can't leave AWB in the wrong bag. (NT)

No doubt...you are correct Sir! LOL!  I just don't have that kind of time anymore for PP.

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,887
Gotsta say, checking AWB for every second shot

is not exactly time critical.
If you have (a little) time,
download the AfterShot Pro trial.
Set up a basic preset (feel free to message me)
and watch the wonder of an entire's day shooting
being PP'ed to about 95% complete in under a couple of minutes.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha a7R Sony a77 II +17 more
Re: Gotsta say, checking AWB for every second shot

Interesting...I've never heard of that software, I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Michel J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009

saford wrote:

The ExpoDisc rendered the scene closer to 'actual',

I use the box caps of the Pringles chips (when it's opaque, or something similar)

it works pretty well and cost is zero (because I confess I eat the chips):

A free alternative to ExpoDisc

AWB - always seems to add orange indoors

AWB it's a factory compromise between tungsten and daylight, it can change depending to the market share of a dedicated camera.

Tungsten - pretty close to real life except the slight blue added which you can definitely see in the white buds

Tungsten may vary depending to the age of the lamp, the real type and so on. So I never use this one.

So yes, ExpoDisc and/or similar are nice.

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +10 more
Gary Eickmeier Veteran Member • Posts: 3,479

Are you guys pointing the camera back toward the light source or at the subject?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Michel J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009
  • Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Are you guys pointing the camera back toward the light source or at the subject?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Very interesting point Gary indeed. I supposed that you refer to the ExpoDisk (or similar). Thanks to point that. I forgot to mention something. To my side, most of the time, it should be better pointing the camera at the subject. Except for some ambiant light situations:

• when you are too far of the subject (or you can't access due to area restrictions limits, like museum or other exposition sites, or you have some water flow between you and the subject, and so on...).
  • when you want more to take into account the lighting source itself (than a perfect WB), when you want the full ambiant light combined with some strong colour refractions (but for some reasons, you don't want the WB so white, although you evaluated the overall scene not enough cold or neutral, ExpoDisk can help to give you a sort of colorimetric trend).
  • when you have a sort of predominant reflections from some natural/local reflectors, like a wall of bamboo who makes your subject too greenish (compared to the grey-chart method) and you just want to attenuate this effect, but not cancelled all.
  • cases when you don't want a perfect white balance, but a pinch of ambiant light, 'to give this little something' from the atmosphere of the main scene. (than something totally neutral).

And yes, ExpoDisk is not a "scientific method" to get a 'perfect WB', imho. But it can help in such situations only. So I just realize now, through your kind posting, than ExpoDisk is not an 'all in one' solution to solve our WB callibration, because it should be deceptive.. Thanks for that.

So many reasons you can't remebering in PP, so many reasons to set your WB "in the field", anyway...

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads