D600 Shutter Replacement - How Long?

Started Mar 1, 2014 | Discussions
Rick77 Forum Member • Posts: 85
D600 Shutter Replacement - How Long?

I'm planning to send my D600 in for shutter replacement.  Anyone know how long I'll have to be without my camera?

Rick77's gear list:Rick77's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
George1234 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: D600 Shutter Replacement - How Long?

It probably depends on which service center you send it too.

George

George1234's gear list:George1234's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +1 more
lensman2 New Member • Posts: 1

It depends which Nikon service center to be served for the repair. I sent my D600 body to Nikon service center at LA twice. It took about 2-3 weeks for turning around.  I would expect there will be even longer with more D600s coming for repair after the Nikon free D600 repair announcement.

I can tell you more details about my experience if you would like.

Thanks.

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

George1234 wrote:

It probably depends on which service center you send it too.

George

And how much of the post Service Alert rush you beat.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Richard D Jacobs Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

My D600 took 22 days from the day I brought it to the camera shop until it was returned. That includes 3 Sundays.

It was sent to Nikon on Long Island in N.Y.

They cleaned it and replaced the shutter.

I have a 24-85 kit lens which was fine tuned prior to the repair.

Following the repair correction was no longer needed.

Everything seems to be working fine with no issues.

Richard

Richard D Jacobs's gear list:Richard D Jacobs's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +8 more
sthlm Regular Member • Posts: 136

They told me 10 working days or less at the Stockholm, Sweden one.

sthlm's gear list:sthlm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,760

Mine went in (with my D4) for routine service on Friday afternoon, Feb 21st, a few days before the announcement on Monday. By Wednesday (3 working days) my D4 was ready but they just said my D600 will be delayed longer due to the shutter replacement. I was initially told 5-10 business days. Nikon Canada, Mississauga.

By the way, I didn't have a dust problem with my D600 so I hope no harm in changing the shutter. Hopefully it helps for future resale.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
MrPicky Regular Member • Posts: 120

Do you send in the camera with body cap or no? They said no accessories but not sure about body cap. Tia

Alan Brown
Alan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 5,520
exactly 1 week from

Rick77 wrote:

I'm planning to send my D600 in for shutter replacement. Anyone know how long I'll have to be without my camera?

Post to received back.. this was UK and only my personal experience.

Was super clean all over and inside when i got it back.... plus the shutter replaced and 'further precautionary work done'

Too earlybto tell the diffeence... never had dust or oil previously.

My 2 cents

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS

When I took mine in to Mississauga, I had the body cap on, the clerk didn't tell me to take it back.

George

Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +1 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 327
Mine shipped to Melville 2/26

Shipped mine same day, Wed 2/26, it hit Nikon's dock yesterday according to UPS.   It has not even been checked in yet.   My shutter was at almost 30K (ya, just broken in - lol), why not get a new one and get a good camera cleaning for free.    I will update with any progress updates.

I sent in an old 105 F2.5 AI-S for get a integrated hood repair and a cleaning on 2/19.  They checked that lens a few hours after it hit their dock.    Either they are going to use a different process or there are that many D600 back already (assuming so).

BTW - This lens was back Friday 2/28 and looks great!

JJ

-- hide signature --

Jason

Red G8R

MrPicky wrote:

Do you send in the camera with body cap or no? They said no accessories but not sure about body cap. Tia

Yes, body cap on. Everything else removed (battery, cards, strap, hot shoe cover).

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
MrPicky Regular Member • Posts: 120

MrPicky wrote:

Yes, body cap on. Everything else removed (battery, cards, strap, hot shoe cover).

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Thanks

No Order Number?

I still did not get a check in notice and went to go see what I can see online.   I just realized there was no order number like a normal repair.

Just went through the RMA process a 2nd time and still no order number.   Am I missing anything?   (Plan to call on Monday morning to get more info)

-- hide signature --

Jason

Estimate and SO received today 3/3 (nt)
-- hide signature --

Jason

Nikonman46 New Member • Posts: 2

I have just been advised by Nikon today if |I send my D600 back it will be 2/4 weeks.

"I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with spots on the sensor of your D600. If you have tried the cleaning steps as outlined in your user manual and the issue persists then I would have to advise that you send your camera into our service centre for inspection and repair. There will be no option to have your camera replaced or upgraded however to another model. The D600 was superceded by the D610 as a result of customer feedback and demand for a faster continuous shooting speed. I have included details below on how to send your camera into our service centre.

Note that the turnaround time is generally between 2 and 4 weeks - depending on part availability or parts, testing requirements, etc.

From Nikon UK

Nevada Landscapes
Nevada Landscapes Regular Member • Posts: 184
10 days for me from LA office

I sent mine in for a cleaning in Dec. and they replaced the shutter.  It took 8 days for the repair and two days in the mail from the facility in LA.  Of course, this is before everyone sent theirs in this week!

Nevada Landscapes's gear list:Nevada Landscapes's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 III Samsung NX500 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6300
Scubadiver6 New Member • Posts: 13
I was told "about 1 month" here in the US...

I was told "about 1 month" from the support desk you reach via the 800 number on nikonusa.com.

My 600 was sent to NY and was received at their loading dock today. I have yet to receive the confirmation email from Nikon's team acknowledging it - I only have the UPS tracking info.

Scubadiver6's gear list:Scubadiver6's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +2 more
Red G8R

Red G8R wrote:

Mine went in (with my D4) for routine service on Friday afternoon, Feb 21st, a few days before the announcement on Monday. By Wednesday (3 working days) my D4 was ready but they just said my D600 will be delayed longer due to the shutter replacement. I was initially told 5-10 business days. Nikon Canada, Mississauga.

By the way, I didn't have a dust problem with my D600 so I hope no harm in changing the shutter. Hopefully it helps for future resale.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

As a follow up. I called Nikon Canada today. They haven't worked on my D600 as yet so I will drive over to them (45 min) for my D4 and they will ship the D600 back to me free of charge.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

I just called them now, I dropped off my D600 on Feb. 26. They told me it was in the shop, I asked how long to go, they said 2 weeks.

George

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads