Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??

Started Mar 1, 2014 | Discussions
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 8,281
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??

techiecool wrote:

I believe someone said it doesn't. The oly ez kit lens has a handy feature of remote control of the zoom. Id imagine that would be handy during video on a tripod

Are you sure? What it lacks is a manual focus ring. But since it has a ring, I suppose it is for the manual zoom. I much prefer a manual zoom over an electrical one.

-- hide signature --
 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +7 more
OP techiecool Regular Member • Posts: 413

I wouldn't swear by it. But I think earlier in the thread someone said it

Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,403

andrbar wrote:

techiecool wrote:

I believe someone said it doesn't. The oly ez kit lens has a handy feature of remote control of the zoom. Id imagine that would be handy during video on a tripod

Are you sure? What it lacks is a manual focus ring. But since it has a ring, I suppose it is for the manual zoom. I much prefer a manual zoom over an electrical one.

-- hide signature --

The Panny 12-32 DOES have a manual zoom ring. It does not have a manual Focus ring.

But, really, when was the last time you manually focused your kit lens? I don't recall ever doing so. I do manually focus my 45-200 and 100-300 when necessary.

Also, there are a couple of reviews now available that show the 12-32 to be optically better than the Oly 14-42, the Panny 14-45 and approaching the lofty 12-35 and 12-40 lenses. Very good for a little lens.

The Oly EZ 14-42 is the same optics as the 14-42 IIr as stated by Robin Wong. "The 14-42mm Pancake Zoom shares the same lens architecture as the current 14-42mm kit lens, with the same lens elements and groups, thus ensuring similar optical performance"

I had the regular IIr version of this lens and found it to be good but not great - not in the same league as the Panny 14-45. The 12-32 is in many ways better still.

I have the 12-32 silver version and have paired with my "silver" EPL5. The EPL5's silver is different from my EPM1's silver and the 12-32 is in-between.

Note: the OIS works very well with the EPL5 but will not work with the EPM1.

Allan

bgalb
bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,122

I pre-ordered the 12-32 from B&H Photo a few days ago and it was shipped yesterday.  Plan to use it on my E-M5 and give my 14-42 kit lens to my daughter.  Considering we have the same form factor, our situations should be similar.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +3 more
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 8,281

andrbar wrote:

techiecool wrote:

-- hide signature --

The Panny 12-32 DOES have a manual zoom ring. It does not have a manual Focus ring.

But, really, when was the last time you manually focused your kit lens? I don't recall ever doing so. I do manually focus my 45-200 and 100-300 when necessary.

Also, there are a couple of reviews now available that show the 12-32 to be optically better than the Oly 14-42, the Panny 14-45 and approaching the lofty 12-35 and 12-40 lenses. Very good for a little lens.

The Oly EZ 14-42 is the same optics as the 14-42 IIr as stated by Robin Wong. "The 14-42mm Pancake Zoom shares the same lens architecture as the current 14-42mm kit lens, with the same lens elements and groups, thus ensuring similar optical performance"

I had the regular IIr version of this lens and found it to be good but not great - not in the same league as the Panny 14-45. The 12-32 is in many ways better still.

I have the 12-32 silver version and have paired with my "silver" EPL5. The EPL5's silver is different from my EPM1's silver and the 12-32 is in-between.

Note: the OIS works very well with the EPL5 but will not work with the EPM1.

Allan

Thanks Allan. I don't care about the manual focus ring lacking. I do love a manual zoom ring. The Pany looks really interesting, sharp, 12mm, well built.
A nice "kit kens" for an EM-10!
André
http://a.barelier.free.fr/

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +7 more

Sorry. My mistake. Didn't read carefully.

photohounds
photohounds Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

h2odog wrote:

I have the Sony RX100 II with a 28-100 range and couldn't resist getting the EM-10 with the 25 1.8 for $699+$299 for the lens. Ditching my Nikon D7000 for the Olympus system and couldn't be happier.

You're not alone in seeing the many merits of this system

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Gear test samples:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +8 more
photohounds
photohounds Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

techiecool wrote:

Fair bit of vignetting and CA with this lens.
Has anyone seen reports on the new 14-42 yet?

Small space sacrifice, but the Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R is impressive .. for a kit lens.
Manual extension, however it IS smaller in diameter.
Some samples in use .. (I sometimes shove it in a coat pocket on the EM-5)

M. Zuiko-14-42 mk2
See also the slrgear review.

-- hide signature --

Pics:
Gear test samples:

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +8 more
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229

Here's a link to Camersize.com showing the E-M10 with the Pan 12-32mm, Olympus 14-42mm EZ and Olympus 14-42mm IIR:

http://j.mp/1mNqXow

Not much of a difference in terms of size between the 12-32 and 14-42 EZ, but the 14-42mm IIR looks huge in comparison to either.

If Olympus bundled the EZ with the E-M10 for an additional $100 as they are in the rest of the world it would be a no brainer, but since they don't, the 12-32mm's wider 12mm end would beckon me.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more

Isn't there an inherent diffence in how they operate in respect to the em10.

PDavis Regular Member • Posts: 461

I just got the GM1 with 12-32 kit.  Boy is it sharp!  I can barely tell the difference between it and the 20mm prime at f/5 in terms of IQ.  For me, the mechanical zoom and wider angle, along with the glowing IQ review made the 12-32 more attractive than the 14-42 EZ.  I planned to sell the GM1 body and keep the lens but I fell in love with that little guy...it's a keeper!

PDavis's gear list:PDavis's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +1 more
vloher
vloher Regular Member • Posts: 463

Salin' Steve,

Thanks for the link.  I've been going to the site for several years and never knew you could look at lenses attached to the camera.  Very cool!!

Ordered the 14-40 EZ about 4 weeks ago, but now I am thinking about the 12-32 because of the IQ and manual zoom ring.  Oh decisions, decisions.

-- hide signature --

Good light and happy shooting!
Victor

photohounds wrote:

techiecool wrote:

Fair bit of vignetting and CA with this lens.

Did you actually look at the CA numbers or just the shape of the curve? It is actually quite good for CA. Yes, it has more CA at 12 but it is relatively low. Check the numbers.

Vignetting is a little high but still good considering the focal length and size of the lens. This is fixed in camera anyway.

The 14-42 isn't any better at this.

Has anyone seen reports on the new 14-42 yet?

Yes, two reviews. Both agree in that the 12-32's IQ is far better than the 14-42.

Small space sacrifice, but the Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R is impressive .. for a kit lens.

yes, not bad. I think it is better than the Panny original 14-42 but not as good as the 14-45. The 12-32 gives the 14-45 a very good run for its money and actually beats it in resolution.

I had both the Oly and Panny 14-42 and still have the 14-45. Now the 12-32.

I saw no point in buying the 14-42 EZ as it is the same lens as the IIr and, for about the same price, I got the 12-32.

Manual extension, however it IS smaller in diameter.

Which one are you talking about. I read that the 14-42 EZ was wider than the 12-32 but a tiny bit shorter when collapsed. Not enough either way to bother about.

Some samples in use .. (I sometimes shove it in a coat pocket on the EM-5)

M. Zuiko-14-42 mk2
See also the slrgear review.

-- hide signature --

Pics:
Gear test samples:

techiecool wrote:

Other than the manual focus method, they work exactly the same. I have my 12-32 on my EPL5 and it works well - OIS included. The OIS will not work with the older cameras including the EM5.

As I said before, who really needs manual focus on a lens like this?

Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,686

Allan Brown wrote:

techiecool wrote:

Other than the manual focus method, they work exactly the same. I have my 12-32 on my EPL5 and it works well - OIS included. The OIS will not work with the older cameras including the EM5.

Do you shoot close up or macro?

Just wondering how do you fine tune the focus?

Please advise your technique solely using  AF.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F +8 more
murfthesurf Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Allan Brown wrote:

techiecool wrote:

Is the OIS disabled when mounting on an E-M5?  I was thinking you would have to turn the IBIS off on the E-M5 because there is no on/off switch on the lens for OIS.  If so, I like this.  I'd rather use the 5 axis IBIS.  I've been considering this lens, but I saw that as one of the negatives.

-- hide signature --

- Murf

murfthesurf's gear list:murfthesurf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +4 more

Len_Gee wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

techiecool wrote:

Do you shoot close up or macro?

Just wondering how do you fine tune the focus?

Please advise your technique solely using AF.

We are talking about the Panasonic 12-32.

This lens is NOT a macro or close-up lens.

Please READ what is being said before making silly comments.

murfthesurf wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

techiecool wrote:

Is the OIS disabled when mounting on an E-M5?

Yes

I was thinking you would have to turn the IBIS off on the E-M5 because there is no on/off switch on the lens for OIS. If so, I like this. I'd rather use the 5 axis IBIS. I've been considering this lens, but I saw that as one of the negatives.

-- hide signature --

- Murf

On the EM5, you can still use the IBIS, just not the OIS.

On my EPL5, I can use either one and, in this case, the OIS is superior to the IBIS.

Allan

Beginner question. The MSCon the olympus provides any advantage compared to the panasonic.

sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229

Here's a solution:  Buy the GM1 kit (currently $699 on Amazon), eBay the body for $550-600 (currently one there for $582) and keep the nifty 12-32mm lens for an outlay of $100-150.

Now here's the trick:  once you've played with the GM1, I dare you to sell it !  What a great portable combination the E-M10 and GM1 would make, take both along and minimize lens swaps.

Dangerous thoughts...

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads