Did any Olympus DSLRs offer Video?

Started Feb 28, 2014 | Discussions
MysteryLemon Regular Member • Posts: 344
Did any Olympus DSLRs offer Video?

Just curious really.

I've owned an e-500, e510 and e-450.  None of them offered video from what I can recall.

Just looking around at a cheaper second hand DSLR and would like some kinda of video capability although it's not a deal breaker.

Olympus E-450 (EVOLT E-450) Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,903
Re: Did any Olympus DSLRs offer Video?

MysteryLemon wrote:

Just curious really.

I've owned an e-500, e510 and e-450. None of them offered video from what I can recall.

Just looking around at a cheaper second hand DSLR and would like some kinda of video capability although it's not a deal breaker.

Did you check the specs of E-5? Why not?

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,081

MysteryLemon wrote:

Just curious really.

I've owned an e-500, e510 and e-450. None of them offered video from what I can recall.

The E-5 is the only Olympus DSLR that supported video.  I have shot some videos with the E-5.

I don't think the Panasonic or Leica 4/3rds suppported video. If you don't need fast auto focus, and option is using a Pen or late model Panasonic micro 4/3rds body with the MMF/MA-1 adapter to do the video.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,081
Or get a dedicated video camcorder

Note, while I have shot video with my Olympus cameras, I have never been really happy with the video from them for shooting events (not scripted movies which have different needs).  In particular, it is painful to get the cameras to track subjects, and refocus, you can often times hear the noise of the lens focusing, and when you are recording hours of event shots, the fact that Olympus does very little compression of the files, means you will need to go through many memory cards.

As I now have been asked to record more video at events, my solution was to pick up a refurbished camcorder that is designed to be a video camera, and not a DSLR/point & shoot/cell phone that also does video on the side. I picked up a JVC GZ-EX210 from buydig.com that gives me great video, better compression, faster video focusing, smoothing zoom then I had using my E-5 or E-P2 cameras for video. That model has been discontuined, but looking at buydig.com, you might want something like: JVC GZ-E200RUS camcorder

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,314

MysteryLemon wrote:

Just curious really.

Yes, the E-5 did.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads