Let's poll it: Do you use CNX2?

Started Feb 26, 2014 | Polls
KnightPhoto2
KnightPhoto2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,027
Re: Let's poll it: Do you use CNX2?

8 years of PP down the tubes for me.  PLUS it's one thing that kept me away for purchasing other brands mirrorless or P&S.  Forcing me to go LightRoom/PS means I can look wider afield than Nikon cameras.  I happened to purchase the $10/month CC deal a few months back, for those special needs image editting; guess I better get cracking with it now for all my future PP.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +21 more
OP rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,859

itchhh wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

itchhh wrote:

I find it interesting that most folks use the software than not. As for me, I'll continue to use it until I can't. I suspect that will be a long time too... unless there is a major development in either camera's or software.

Not really, just a new OS version where it doesn't run properly.

I here what you're saying, but I'm sticking with Windows 7 64 bit. There is no way in hell that I'll ever upgrade to Windows 8

I have left W behind a long time ago, it's like seeing light after a long stay in a cave.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

-- hide signature --

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
~ Jim Elliot

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Silverstreaks Regular Member • Posts: 306

I would say that despite trying out successive alternatives I always return to NX2.  For me its my preferred software for dealing with NEF files before they are sent to PS. I will hang on to mine for as long as I can.

I have had a look over this NXD beta version and I can say that I wont be using it in its present form

Regards

Bob

Nikonsyncro Regular Member • Posts: 196

Yes. From version 1

twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

Yes I use it all the time.  Easily get the best results from it compared to other software. Haven't liked LR (tried the trial) and have PSE but can't get results from it anywhere near CNX2.  I'll carry on with CNX2 as long as I can.  Is CNX2 slow? - no it's not, always been great on my system.

twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

Agree that.  I've never had CNX2 being slow on my system  Frankly it's faster and more reliable on my windows 7 64 bit system (8gb RAM) than PSE.

rdhphoto1 Regular Member • Posts: 296
Yes! (n/t)

No text.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

Shotcents wrote:

I've been using NX2 because I like those control points.

But I'm certain that NX2 gives me a better conversion than all others I've tried.

Who else has control points???

Robert

All the Nik programs have them - Nikon licences control points from them.

Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,889
Still using NX

I haven't bought a new Nikon camera since the D300.  I often like the way my NEF files look using NX and I suspect I will use NX-D the same way I use NX, so I won't miss the U-points and all that stuff.

mtlr Regular Member • Posts: 294
FWIW, CNX2 runs better than ever in Win 8.1

That's very important to me, as a fearless Win 8.1 user, and in light of the ghastly Nikon news that CNX2 will no longer be supported.

I intend to continue using CNX2 for a while, probably at least until Nikon produces a new irresistible new camera that I have to get sometime in the future (or maybe if I get a new non-Nikon camera). That could be a few years down the road, meanwhile I'm relieved that I'll be able to continue happily using CNX2 in Win 8.x, probably meaning a few years from now too. And hopefully Win 9 and beyond will be CNX2-compatible too....

mtlr's gear list:mtlr's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
mtlr Regular Member • Posts: 294

Same here, CNX2 is faster opening and saving NEFs than LR5.3 in my i5, 8 GB MS Surface Pro 2 and i7, 8 GB notebook, and the photo editing steps are easier and faster too in CNX2.

That's why I'm quite upset about the bad news about the late news about no more CNX2.

mtlr's gear list:mtlr's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
LBlack Regular Member • Posts: 169

I've been using Capture NX since version 1.0.1 in Jan. 2007. There is very little photo editing that cannot be dine in C-NX2. For pixel editing (HDR, pano, frames, text, graphics, animated gif) I use CS5.1, HDr Efex, and Autopano Pro.

For future proofing, one can always set up a virtual machine with whatever OS still runs C-NX2.

To those claiming that NX-D is a reason to switch to Canon or other - don't let the door hit you on the way out. Good day, sir!

-- hide signature --
1w12q312qw1 Contributing Member • Posts: 732

mtlr wrote:

Same here, CNX2 is faster opening and saving NEFs than LR5.3 in my i5, 8 GB MS Surface Pro 2 and i7, 8 GB notebook, and the photo editing steps are easier and faster too in CNX2.

That's why I'm quite upset about the bad news about the late news about no more CNX2.

+1

If you're using an antique PC, NX1/2 will be slow as a dog. Today's processors should have you cruising well over 4 GHz even with mild overclocking. And if you don't have 8G RAM, you will be pulling your hair out.

NX2 is like in a different realm compared to the original version, RAW files open up lightning fast, but the biggest improvement over the past few years has been the rendering of filters and effects. May not be quite as fast as CS6 or LR, but it is definitely NO slouch. It's a pleasure to use if your PC is up to the task and if you can get accustomed to the UI.

I will miss the U-Point NIK effects and how NX2 interpolates Nikon RAW data, and, therefore,

IN MY HONEST OPINION (which will be in all of my posts from now on)

NX-D just doesn't cut the mustard.

Stan

dacrema Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Off topic reply to Renato

Nice picture.

rhlpetrus wrote:

I do a lot of b&w. I like to do all adjustments in color, including local brightness/contrast using u-poins, very useful for all sorts of images, and finally the b&w conversion, with the filtering, etc. It has worked very well all these years, it's like doing film, actually, in many senses. Here's one of my family faves, D80 and CNX1 still:

dacrema's gear list:dacrema's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
OP rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,859
Re: FWIW, CNX2 runs better than ever in Win 8.1

mtlr wrote:

That's very important to me, as a fearless Win 8.1 user, and in light of the ghastly Nikon news that CNX2 will no longer be supported.

I intend to continue using CNX2 for a while, probably at least until Nikon produces a new irresistible new camera that I have to get sometime in the future (or maybe if I get a new non-Nikon camera). That could be a few years down the road, meanwhile I'm relieved that I'll be able to continue happily using CNX2 in Win 8.x, probably meaning a few years from now too. And hopefully Win 9 and beyond will be CNX2-compatible too....

But .. does it run faster than on a Mac? I doubt it. I moved from W7  to a Mac and the difference was impressive, and no freezing, ever.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Skytalker
Skytalker Forum Member • Posts: 77

I use cnx and cnx2 ever since it has been on the market. For more advanced editing I resort to CS5.
I have bought LR but do not enjoy using it.. You cannot obtain the same quality as with CNX2. I know some people would find this statement debatable. But these are my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Skytalker's gear list:Skytalker's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
tr4driver
tr4driver Contributing Member • Posts: 619

I do (for my NEF files anway), but since I also shoot Fuji, I have slowly been leaning more toward LR.  This latest news will probably push me over the edge.

I think I can typically get a better image out of CNX2 than LR with Nikon files, but LR does have beter shadow and highlight recovery.  I am disappointed with the direction that Nikon is going with the new Capture NX.  It really is a huge step backwards.

Kurt

ishtar74 Junior Member • Posts: 41

I used to and loved it. Then I found out that I could do my Blurb books directly in LR4, which meant I didn't need to convert my RAW files to JPG to do so. Since all my workflow is geared towards book creation, LR just made more sense.

Now that I see what's happening to CNX2, I'm glad I made the switch.

ishtar74's gear list:ishtar74's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

I always thought it was rubbish, tbh.

Jonathan Reed Senior Member • Posts: 1,512

I've used it since the 1st version and still like it(also use CS6).

The new NX-D is absolute garbage. I can't believe they released it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads