d7000 as my first DSLR?

Started Feb 26, 2014 | Discussions
futureishere New Member • Posts: 1
d7000 as my first DSLR?

Hi,

I am planning to get my first DSLR and I have the budget of around 1000 USD. After looking around a bit, I was thinking about following configuration:

- Nikon D7000

-Nikon 35 mm f/1.8G AF-S DX

-Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR

Depending on the prices in May (that's when I will be in US), I may buy one or more of the items above as refurbished to keep it within my budget.

I don't think I am going to shoot a lot of video. Mostly landscapes and portraits. Do you guys think this is a reasonable configuration? Thanks!

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Footski
MOD Footski Senior Member • Posts: 2,043
Re: d7000 as my first DSLR?

That sounds good to me. You might want to add the 18-105 kit lens to that. It is reasonably priced and is a very good lens. You will then have most situations covered. I love my D7000.

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,312

With that configuration, I would miss the short end, even 35 mm is quite narrow for APS-C. If the Nikon 16-85 is anything near the Canon 15-85, I would recommend that for the first lens, but it depends on your needs, not mine.

Buying second hand/refurbished gear is a great way to save IMHO.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Klaus dk wrote:

With that configuration, I would miss the short end, even 35 mm is quite narrow for APS-C. If the Nikon 16-85 is anything near the Canon 15-85, I would recommend that for the first lens, but it depends on your needs, not mine.

Buying second hand/refurbished gear is a great way to save IMHO.

KEH is a good source for used gear in the US. As are larger camera stores like Adorama, B&H and MPEX.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
TH - NikonStrobist
TH - NikonStrobist Regular Member • Posts: 391

Seems like a solid plan.

-- hide signature --

“There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes.”
~ Abraham Lincoln

TH - NikonStrobist's gear list:TH - NikonStrobist's gear list
Nikon D610
WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 7,078

futureishere wrote:

Hi,

I am planning to get my first DSLR and I have the budget of around 1000 USD. After looking around a bit, I was thinking about following configuration:

• Nikon D7000
  • Nikon 35 mm f/1.8G AF-S DX
  • Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR

I don't think I am going to shoot a lot of video. Mostly landscapes and portraits. Do you guys think this is a reasonable configuration? Thanks!

You might find the an 18-105mm or 18-140mm preferable to the 55-200mm; new users often go "too long" with their first lenses. You could use one of those zooms at around 70mm for portraits, with reasonable success.

The 35mm f/1.8 is a good general lens, but for landscapes, you might also consider something wider; the Sigma 10-20mm for example:

Waikiki Beach. Sigma 10-20mm

Central crop of first image.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads