No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions
RyanBoston Senior Member • Posts: 1,188
No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Looks like Nikon will stop support for NX2 in the future and work on the new NXD software. It looks like the u-point technology is over that Google owns Nik now.

NXD is available for download and is in Beta and is looking for user feedback. Please help with all the feedback to help them build this program good.

I will miss Nx2.

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
AndyHWC Senior Member • Posts: 1,504
Re: No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

what does NX-D have over ViewNX2?  Too bad, Nikon couldn't retain U-Point for the new generation of Capture NX.

OP RyanBoston Senior Member • Posts: 1,188

After using it for an hour it has force closed 6 times already.

This Beta program needs a whole new refresh and is off to a bad start!

Canon EOS 6D
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,414
not ViewNX2

AndyHWC wrote:

what does NX-D have over ViewNX2? Too bad, Nikon couldn't retain U-Point for the new generation of Capture NX.

NX-D will replace CaptureNX2 not ViewNX2...is my understanding. Looks to be replacing CNX2 with a LR for Nikon only...hmmm

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 566
Re: not ViewNX2

If the "LR wannabe" from Nikon has even half the functionality and usability of the real LR, and at the same time keeps the Nikon in-camera settings as a starting point for editing, this will be what LR users have been asking for for years - the same look of RAW files as in VNX and CNX but with the LR controls and usability.

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,839
Very sad day for Nikon users n/t
-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Re: Very sad day for Nikon users n/t
-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

Very sad indeed. Let's hope there are a few more future cameras that nx2 will support before they tank it.

The sad part is they will not update it for future mac updates.

Canon EOS 6D
GaryR57 Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: not ViewNX2

whiggy wrote:

If the "LR wannabe" from Nikon has even half the functionality and usability of the real LR, and at the same time keeps the Nikon in-camera settings as a starting point for editing, this will be what LR users have been asking for for years - the same look of RAW files as in VNX and CNX but with the LR controls and usability.

Gosh I hope so.

I haven't suffered for years (only had my D7100 for about 9 months) but I have been struggling with both CNX2 and LR5 trying to get the in-camera settings correct.

GaryR57's gear list:GaryR57's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +2 more
TOR8472 Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
Re: I hate LR5

Not a surprise, but a bid dissapointment for me. I recently bought LR5 for $50 to give it a try and to use with my Sony RX100 raw files, and I hate it. It just seems so unintuitive to me vs. NX2, having to import and export everything vs. just saving my sidecar edits.

I guess I'll have to get used to it soon, so at least this is plenty of warning. Not being able to use NX2 may even play a part in whether my next camera will be a D800, D610, or D7200. I thought it was going to be a D7200 if they improved the buffer a little and fixed the video crop mode upsampling.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
AndyHWC Senior Member • Posts: 1,504

TOR8472 wrote:

Not a surprise, but a bid dissapointment for me. I recently bought LR5 for $50 to give it a try and to use with my Sony RX100 raw files, and I hate it. It just seems so unintuitive to me vs. NX2, having to import and export everything vs. just saving my sidecar edits.

I guess I'll have to get used to it soon, so at least this is plenty of warning. Not being able to use NX2 may even play a part in whether my next camera will be a D800, D610, or D7200. I thought it was going to be a D7200 if they improved the buffer a little and fixed the video crop mode upsampling.

I tried LR3 and didn't like it.  I don't have CNX2 but like the U-Point feature.  I use free solutions from Faststone, PIE, Microsoft Photo Gallery and occasionally ViewNX2 for RAW.

saml45 Regular Member • Posts: 136

RyanBoston wrote:

I have been using it on a HP laptop (AMD quad core and 8 mb ram), and have had no problems with crashing at all. A few of the functions take a little longer to redraw the screen, but most of them only take a second or two. All in all, I am quite happy for a beta version and I am looking forward to a finished version.

Sam

RyanBoston wrote:

I have been using it on a HP laptop (AMD quad core and 8 mb ram), and have had no problems with crashing at all. A few of the functions take a little longer to redraw the screen, but most of them only take a second or two. All in all, I am quite happy for a beta version and I am looking forward to a finished version.

Sam

I'm on a mac book pro. I was using the white balance dropper tool and dropping it on a few places and kept crashing. I let the support team know.

Canon EOS 6D
Westmill
Westmill Senior Member • Posts: 1,854
Re NXD BETA

I downloaded and tried the new NXD ... Then I uninstalled it after about ten minutes  Seems google must own the healing brush along with the U point tech, as it has all gone. If it came free with the cameras it would be good. As a replacement for NX2.... its simply a joke.

This is just another hard slap in the face from Nikon !

I shall use NX 2 for as long as I can now. Anyone that does not have NX2 upto date I would advise you to do so now, as there will be no new updates after NXD

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +2 more
dwa1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,731
NIK control points - CS plug-in.

I loved the Nik U-Point technologyso much that I bought the Viveza plug-in for CS5. Excellent tools.

Too bad about the CNX2 going down the drain. I guess Jason P O'Dell will have a new book to write.

Wayne

twamers Contributing Member • Posts: 864

I've tried the LR5 trial - didn't like it.  I guess it's very good but for all it's quirks NX2 is simply so much easier to use.  I shall keep using it for as long as possible.  Bad day learning about this.

MiraShootsNikon Contributing Member • Posts: 769
RAW reckoning

RyanBoston wrote:

Looks like Nikon will stop support for NX2 in the future and work on the new NXD software. It looks like the u-point technology is over that Google owns Nik now.

NXD is available for download and is in Beta and is looking for user feedback. Please help with all the feedback to help them build this program good.

I will miss Nx2.

Funny how things sort themselves out.

Reading this announcement, this morning, I couldn't help but think back to all of those heated RAW converter debates that've blown through these forums every now and then. It's some pretty rich stuff to read after Nikon themselves have unceremoniously kicked NX2 to the curb one morning with a cheap Silkypix re-skin that can't even read or render your past edits.

MiraShootsNikon's gear list:MiraShootsNikon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D750 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +18 more
Westmill
Re: RAW reckoning

Anyone wishing to see just what an insult it is can try it here

http://beta.nikonimglib.com/index.html.en

It is safe to download and try as it does not effect NX2

Nobody in there right mind would replace NX2 with this junk. So please do as asked and leave feedback !

Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +2 more
GaryR57 Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: NIK control points - CS plug-in.

dwa1 wrote:

I loved the Nik U-Point technologyso much that I bought the Viveza plug-in for CS5. Excellent tools.

Too bad about the CNX2 going down the drain. I guess Jason P O'Dell will have a new book to write.

Wayne

I think he has pretty much moved to LightRoom now anyway.

GaryR57's gear list:GaryR57's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +2 more
JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,153
And "soon to be former" users Renato...

Bring on the EOS 7D Mark II - Capture NX2 was my one remaining reason to stay with Nikon. If I need to go LR it might as well be with Canon.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
Westmill
Re: And "soon to be former" users Renato...

JimPearce wrote:

Bring on the EOS 7D Mark II - Capture NX2 was my one remaining reason to stay with Nikon. If I need to go LR it might as well be with Canon.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Well it should be good for a long while yet. The biggest problem will be for new cameras that get introduced. Any of the current models are fine. Just do not update after the NXD release

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads