A7r Annoying Me

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions
walgje Regular Member • Posts: 267
Something to do with initializing the lens?

15-20 seconds startup time does sound like a fault or bug. Maybe this has to do with this(taken from the 7R review:

While most mirrorless cameras start up in under a second, the a7R isn't ready to shoot for a little over two. We've also noticed that if the power is quickly cycled, the delay can be twice that. Interestingly enough, the camera is ready to shoot in nearly half a second with no lens attached, so the delay may have something to do with initializing the lens.

So maybe try to start the camera without a lens attached.

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Christian

walgje's gear list:walgje's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970
Re: A7r Annoying Me

SQLGuy wrote:

I shoot with both the FE kit lens and a lot of manual glass on my A7. The slowest it ever gets is if I shut it off and immediately turn it back on... that's about 5 seconds before it's ready to shoot again. Normal startup, if it 's been off for more than 10 seconds, is less than a second. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds to start after changing the battery.

I normally shut it off between shots, but I just tested with letting it go to sleep and waking it up. This took about one second to be ready to shoot with bringing my eye to the EVF and half-pressing the shutter. If I were using the LCD it might have been a slight bit faster, since it lights the LCD first and then switches to the EVF.

The A7 and A7R have so much in common that I'm finding it hard to believe the A7R should be that much slower without something being wrong with that particular camera.

that's pretty much how my a7r behaves, but on the other hand, how many complaints of this nature have we seen about the a7... not so many, maybe??

i'm a tech, so i troubleshoot things, hence the suggestion to compare lenses... process of elimination, but not everyone is up for that.

wrt the other poster, glad to hear that the nex cameras also occasionally take those random shots at shutdown, thanks.

-- hide signature --

dan

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970
Re: Something to do with initializing the lens?

walgje wrote:

15-20 seconds startup time does sound like a fault or bug. Maybe this has to do with it (taken from the 7R review:

While most mirrorless cameras start up in under a second, the a7R isn't ready to shoot for a little over two. We've also noticed that if the power is quickly cycled, the delay can be twice that. Interestingly enough, the camera is ready to shoot in nearly half a second with no lens attached, so the delay may have something to do with initializing the lens.

So maybe try to start the camera without a lens attached.

or with a legacy manual lens attached, as i suggested earlier...

if that improves it, start comparing different modern lenses, to see if it's related to a few specific pieces of glass.

thanks for the info.

-- hide signature --

dan

OP Robert Cain Senior Member • Posts: 1,118
Re: ? Rob

DFPanno wrote:

First off; thanks for the compliment !

Question - Do you think you will give up on it or is the file quality so good that you will put up with the shortcomings?

Trying to figure out if the A7R would be a good travel camera or whether it will be too slow for that kind of use.

best -

Hi David

No will not give up on camera.

I love the image quality and the size.

The shots I take are not action shots, so I just thought the camera should be a lot better at starting up time, Auto focus and over all response time.

Even the RX1 is faster.

Will get the camera back to Sony ask for a check over.

Cheers

Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojorob2009/sets/72157641402104344/

Still Breathing

Robert Cain's gear list:Robert Cain's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
le_alain Senior Member • Posts: 1,954
Re: Something to do with initializing the lens?

Don't know if there is a difference with the A7, but never notice that.

Normal starting time is around 1.5/2s, and 4 if you just change the battery,

in sleeping mode, more arouns 1/1.5s

my settings are:

-Viewfinder only with minimal information

- no review of last shot

- airplane mode

- no zebra.

- AF with AF on and not with shutter

Hope it can stay like this, I can't imagine 15-20s of blackout !

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Epson R-D1 Sony Alpha a7S Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 697

There is definitely something wrong. I switch my camera off all the time to preserve battery. It never takes more than 1-2s to start up.

I don't suppose you put the SD card directly into a Mac do you? That causes all kinds of slow start up havoc with Fuji cameras. The Mac writes all kinds of hidden crud to the card. Reformatting on every insert sorts out the Fuji issues.

-- hide signature --
 CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Alpha a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 697

I've not seen any of the focus issues you describe with the FE35 or FE55 either. What lenses are you using?
--
Blog/Website http://craigspics.net/

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Alpha a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Mikee
Mikee Senior Member • Posts: 2,008
Formatting in camera

Have you tried formatting your cards inside camera? That significantly speeds up my on time for my a7 to where it's not a bother at all.

-- hide signature --
 Mikee's gear list:Mikee's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a6500 Sony a9 +6 more
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,507
Of course it does!

sassenach74 wrote:

tex wrote:

you sound like one of the people that should not have gotten this camera. I knew it was slow before I purchased it. My work is set up stuff, even in the field. I have no need for quick response. While your times seem abnormally slow---suggesting something wrong at your end---nobody who paid attention to the specs would have chosen this camera as a quick response device.

Perhaps you didn't fully account for your own style of shooting?

Shooting style has nothing to do with how long a camera takes to start up.

Having a shooting style that requires a quick response from a camera, and not purchasing one that has that? How does this make sense?  The specs are plain.

You knew start up could often take 10-20 seconds before you bought it? Really?

But, as I said if you had read my response more carefully---which you did not given your response---my A7r is not nearly this slow.  A couple or 3 seconds at the most---so I think something is wrong at his end, as I said.  Could be a bad unit, could be something else.  I have no idea since I have not experienced anything like this.  Still given my experiences, which are far faster, not something I'd want to do rapid response with given its somewhat leisurely start up times.

Terrible response from you.

Back atcha.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax 645Z Ricoh Theta V Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +28 more

CraigArnold wrote:

I've not seen any of the focus issues you describe with the FE35 or FE55 either. What lenses are you using?
--
Blog/Website http://craigspics.net/

Hi Craig

Only lens I have is Sony 55mm f1.8 FE.

When putting SD card back in camera always format it before using.

Will get Sony to check camera out.

Thanks everone for the replies.

Cheers

Rob

Still Breathing

Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 6,472

Robert Cain wrote:

Hi All

I have started a Local Project On the Gt West Road The Golden Mile.

Its a Famous UK road for industry Etc.

Six mile walk up then six mile walk back.

These are a few issues with A7r which are beginning to annoy me.

Start the camera up when I begin walk takes 15/20 seconds to start up ready for shooting.

Mine takes maybe 2 seconds.

Leave the camera switched on all the time carry 2 spare Sony batteries.

Happy taking shots when camera will shut down VF and screen just go black have to switch off and then back on to use again.

Sometimes camera will just not focus I can see image through VF and screen but will just not focus.

Turn Off back on OK.

Sounds like your A7r has some issues and is in need of a trip to get fixed

Use single shot and focus point on center of screen only using 55mm f1.8FE.

Another annoying trick camera has,camera left on all the time no sleeping to save battery life.

What is the sleep setting set to in the settings?

lift camera up to take shot screen on but no info have to wait 5/10 seconds for info appear to shoot.

When Finished shooting turn camera off and camera sounds like its taking 2 shots.

That is part of the anti dust system.

Have tried several SD cards and the 3 batteries.

Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers

Rob

PS a few shots from the project at the link below.

Still Breathing

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH +20 more
GeoffM007 Forum Member • Posts: 57

I have had my A7R since Christmas. When I first used it, it would be ready to shoot in about 5 secs after battery change. Turn off, then back on it would be ready in about 1~2 secs.

I then bought a Vertical Grip.

Now, with the VG fitted it takes 15 secs before being able to shoot if it has been off for hours, still 1~2 secs after off/on.

Now with the VG not connected it takes 10 secs after battery removed/inserted, and 1~2 secs after off/on. All the above times are without a lens mounted.

Also, when shooting for a while with the grip on, leaving the camera on, after approx. 50~60 shots one of the battery remaining icons disappears. The camera is then using the other battery as when it stars working properly again both batteries are slightly discharged and both need recharging. All genuine Sony batteries.

At about the same time the camera stops autofocusing, the AF green square stays green without touching the shutter button. I shoot in AF-S mode. If I move the camera away from my face the green square goes back to grey on the LCD after about 3 secs and it will auto focus again.

I have been using the FE 24-70 F4 CZ

GeoffM007's gear list:GeoffM007's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A55 +12 more

Hi All

Today I reset camera charged all my batteries used menu to turn everything off I do not use.

Turn camera on after fitting fully charged battery 5 seconds screen on then 2 seconds more all display on.

Turn off and back on all appears in a couple of seconds.

Not sure if screen will black out or camera will not focus have not used it enough yet.

Looks like to me that every time I shoot 1000/1500 shots I have to reset camera.

Will keep an eye on this glad I took the extended warranty.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers

Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35042029@N03/

Still Breathing

djp58 Regular Member • Posts: 351

I have had my A7R since Christmas. When I first used it, it would be ready to shoot in about 5 secs after battery change. Turn off, then back on it would be ready in about 1~2 secs.

Now, with the VG fitted it takes 15 secs before being able to shoot if it has been off for hours, still 1~2 secs after off/on.

Now with the VG not connected it takes 10 secs after battery removed/inserted, and 1~2 secs after off/on. All the above times are without a lens mounted.

Also, when shooting for a while with the grip on, leaving the camera on, after approx. 50~60 shots one of the battery remaining icons disappears. The camera is then using the other battery as when it stars working properly again both batteries are slightly discharged and both need recharging. All genuine Sony batteries.

At about the same time the camera stops autofocusing, the AF green square stays green without touching the shutter button. I shoot in AF-S mode. If I move the camera away from my face the green square goes back to grey on the LCD after about 3 secs and it will auto focus again.

Sounds like you are filling up the buffer by taking multiple shots in succession. My A7R does same thing - it's much more likely to occur if you are shooting RAW + JPEG and highest quality setting. My start up times are in line with most of the other responses: 1-2 seconds in most cases and I didn't notice significant difference with vertical grip attached (though don't shoot much w/VG). All-in-all, very happy with A7R performance so far (2 months, ~3k shots).

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
GeoffM007 Forum Member • Posts: 57

djp58 wrote:

Now with the VG not connected it takes 10 secs after battery removed/inserted, and 1~2 secs after off/on. All the above times are without a lens mounted.

Sounds like you are filling up the buffer by taking multiple shots in succession. My A7R does same thing - it's much more likely to occur if you are shooting RAW + JPEG and highest quality setting. My start up times are in line with most of the other responses: 1-2 seconds in most cases and I didn't notice significant difference with vertical grip attached (though don't shoot much w/VG). All-in-all, very happy with A7R performance so far (2 months, ~3k shots).

David

Thanks for the reply David, I do shoot RAW + JPG at highest quality, but I am not shooting rapidly, probably a least 5 secs between each one. I am using Sandisk extreme Pro 95MB/sec 64MB SD card. I will experiment by doing a bit of rapid shooting to see if that brings my problem on

GeoffM007's gear list:GeoffM007's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A55 +12 more
KiboOst
KiboOst Senior Member • Posts: 1,187

About auto shutdown :

There is a ‘power save start time’ option in the menu, but be sure to have ‘remote ctrl’ off or it won’t work.

Mine takes always less than two seconds to start, but I use only adapted lenses.

-- hide signature --

www.nicolasgenette.com

KiboOst's gear list:KiboOst's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +5 more

GeoffM007 wrote:

djp58 wrote:

Now with the VG not connected it takes 10 secs after battery removed/inserted, and 1~2 secs after off/on. All the above times are without a lens mounted.

David

Thanks for the reply David, I do shoot RAW + JPG at highest quality, but I am not shooting rapidly, probably a least 5 secs between each one. I am using Sandisk extreme Pro 95MB/sec 64MB SD card. I will experiment by doing a bit of rapid shooting to see if that brings my problem on

You might also make sure you have auto-preview turned off since that eats up processor time/memory.  You can see when the camera is "working" at processing/writing to sd card by the little red light on the back of the grip directly below the sd card door.  Take a few shots in rapid sequence and see how long the light takes to go off - if the buffer is pretty full camera puts most of its resources into processing the images and clearing the buffer - I think AF becomes lower priority in this case and you end up not being able to AF (the AF square stays green).  Lucky for me I do most of my shooting either full MF (mostly with legacy lenses) or DMF.

David

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
CameraGuru Forum Member • Posts: 69

Yep I can confirm it usually takes 2-3 sec on my end to start. Do you have any apps loaded on your camera? Thats the only time I noticed it was slower and taking more time to load.

Juhaz wrote:

osv wrote:

When Finished shooting turn camera off and camera sounds like its taking 2 shots.

i have seen that, it's a bit unsettling...

All NEX cameras occasionally fire when being turned off, I don't see any reason A7* would be any different in that respect. It's nothing to worry about, they're just taking dark frames for dead pixel mapping.

This should be pretty uncommon, though, once in a month is typical for the APS-C bodies. If it happens on EVERY power-off, I suppose something strange might be going on.

I think this is actually part of the sequence for the automatic Sensor Cleaning function.  All of my Sony NEX (3, 5N, 7) and A7R have done this every time I turn them off.  It is louder/more apparent with the A7R than with the others, though.

David

ncsakany
ncsakany Senior Member • Posts: 2,027
Here's how it works

The A7R does some pretty heavy processing, and because of this, when you turn it off, it's not really off; rather, it enters a low-power standby, much like a notebook computer or a mobile phone when it turns the screen off. When the camera is turned on, it simply resumes functioning from where it left off. A clue to this behavior is that the battery sees some drain even with the camera off. This was an issue with other Sony products, including some of their professional video equipment, such as early XDCAM models.

By contrast, pulling the battery then reinserting it, or after a prolonged standby, the camera goes through the IPL, booting up as it were, using a computer analogy. This takes a little more time, as it needs to reset and initialize its peripherals, read the memory card, etc. I've seen this take anywhere from 3 to 20 seconds. A firmware update might help optimize this process.

As far as autofocus performance, I've owned both the RX1 and RX1R and have found the A7R to be faster in acquiring focus, with the FE55 and FE35 lenses. I haven't tried any other AF lens on it, as the rest of my glass is of the MF variety.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads